Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1E/2E Books As Revised Editions?

Keeper of Secrets

Re: 1E/2E Books As Revised Editions?

Quote Originally Posted by King Snarf View Post
    Now, before Jon L left, he had mentioned that there had been talk about doing a Multiversal Guide, which would, presumably, revise and update some of the information from Worlds of Freedom. Similarly, I'd hope that a revised attempt would break it into two books, Eras of Freedom (focusing on various time periods seen therein that haven't been reprinted yet, like the 25th century in the Cosmic Handbook, and maybe a few new ones) and Worlds of Freedom, with all the alternate realities that entails, including Earth Ape, Earth Erde, Anti-Earth, Ani-Earth, and whatever surprises they want to throw at us.
    Agreed. Especially since getting them split into two books might get more in both, especially in the Worlds of Freedom book. I know it doesn't make much sense for GR to make multiple M&M settings, so this is the closest I get to seeing some official variations on FC.
    Sequence & Solstice, Crime-fightin' catgirl and her pony

Keeper of Secrets Freebooter

I think part of the problem with revising many 2e books would be that in some cases the writers would have to come up with a whole lot of new material. For instance, much of the actual nuts and bolts parts of Book of Magic has already been reprinted in Power Profiles, Gadget Guide, and the Atlas of Earth Prime.

Now, before Jon L left, he had mentioned that there had been talk about doing a Multiversal Guide, which would, presumably, revise and update some of the information from Worlds of Freedom. Similarly, I'd hope that a revised attempt would break it into two books, Eras of Freedom (focusing on various time periods seen therein that haven't been reprinted yet, like the 25th century in the Cosmic Handbook, and maybe a few new ones) and Worlds of Freedom, with all the alternate realities that entails, including Earth Ape, Earth Erde, Anti-Earth, Ani-Earth, and whatever surprises they want to throw at us.
    That would be cool. I'd certainly be up for revisiting the work I did on Freedom by Gaslight and Fantasy Freedom.

I liked the old Time of Crisis adventure and would be happy to see an adaptation.

I'm an old Dr. Strange/Comic magic fan. I never did pick up Book of Magic, and Supernatural Handbook turned out to be more of a "Horror Handbook". A Book of Magic that I could buy and have be current would be preferable to chasing something down I would have to adapt.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Sangrolu View Post
    I liked the old Time of Crisis adventure and would be happy to see an adaptation.

I'm an old Dr. Strange/Comic magic fan. I never did pick up Book of Magic, and Supernatural Handbook turned out to be more of a "Horror Handbook". A Book of Magic that I could buy and have be current would be preferable to chasing something down I would have to adapt.
    If most of Book of Magic hadn't already been reprinted across three separate books (at least), I'd agree with you. But the the spells portion was redone in Power Profiles, the magic items in Gadget Guides, and most of the FC characters from that book got 3e makeovers in Atlas of Earth-Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangrolu View Post
    Deo Vindice,
    Prof. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

-Mad Social Scientist & Gonzo Game Designer

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"--Charlie Meadows, in Barton Fink

Inceptor

Warriors & Warlocks most definitely, it was one of my favorite 2e products. I would love to see it updated for 3rd Edition with some new material related to running Fantasy focused settings and games.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by RearAdmeralFloyd View Post
    Warriors & Warlocks most definitely, it was one of my favorite 2e products. I would love to see it updated for 3rd Edition with some new material related to running Fantasy focused settings and games.
    Certainly, you'd have some room as you can now drop the Lost World section since that's in the Atlas. I'd love to see the fantasy race and class templates updated for 3e.

Inceptor

Certainly, you'd have some room as you can now drop the Lost World section since that's in the Atlas. I'd love to see the fantasy race and class templates updated for 3e.
    Plus the book would be a great excuse to bust out the Emerald City version of Freedom's Reach. Imagine having fantasy versions of characters like Kid Robot, Xeno and Ultramarine.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by RearAdmeralFloyd View Post
    Plus the book would be a great excuse to bust out the Emerald City version of Freedom's Reach. Imagine having fantasy versions of characters like Kid Robot, Xeno and Ultramarine.
    Princess could be a... duchess? A baroness? I can't actually think what would be a good fantasy equivalent for her.