Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poisons and Remedies in FAGE

Defender of the Word

Re: Poisons and Remedies in FAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Vigilante View Post
    Would it be better to have the poison be applied as soon as you hit your enemy, with a special 2SP stunt that doubles the poison effect and/or damage?
    This stunt might also be a good additional perk for journeyman and master. Journeyman herbologists can double the damage, masters can double the effect and damage, maybe?
    Yes the damage and effects are instantly applied after a successful hit. I like the idea of a stunt, but double effect is a little cheap for 2 SP, so I would probably keep it in line with Dual Strike (4 SP).

The description of the poisons causing ability damage should also include whether this also reduces the stats derived from the ability, especially the dex poison should include whether you reduce speed and defense and initiative.
    Yes any reduction in a stat would also reduce any derived stats. For poisons that don't, they would have modifiers instead (-2 to all Strength tests etc)

I also really like the poisons that cause hallucinations and put the enemy at the bottom of the initiative order. Those are effects I can't get otherwise and they add a lot of flavor. I'm also a huge fan of random effect charts (especially if you're not showing your players the chart, so they will be surprised by what the poison does.)
    I would love more of these. Poisons for blindness, deafness, partial or full paralysis sound like fun. Poisons which make the target more flammable or conductive to electricity could give your poison user nice combo moments with an alchemist or mage.
    The potions above are just rebranded versions of DAGE but absolutely, you could have all sorts of effects. I love the idea of a poison that enhances other damage types....

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomdoodler View Post
    I reckon, with the exception of Arrows, you could apply multiple doses to a weapon based on talent rank, so a Novice herbalist can use one dose, a Journeyman can apply 2 doses, and a Master can apply 3 doses. For an even better effect, you apply 1 dose, but get 1/2/3 uses each combat encounter.

I also like the idea of a dedicated stunt. So perhaps with a 4 SP, you can apply Potent Brew that effectively doubles the effect of the poison being applied, doubling all damage, duration, penalties etc. That might need expanding for some poisons descriptions.
    I was thinking something simpler (and cleaner). These are initial thoughts only.

Apply Poison: it takes a full turn to apply poison to a weapon. This includes getting out and putting away a container. Applying is TN X DEX check (probably no focus, especially to avoid the +2 to degree of success). Failure might result in a mishap.

Successful application results in the character being able to use the Envenom stunt an amount of times equal to their stunt die. Journeyman level adds +1 uses to Novice poisons, and Master adds +2 to Novice, +1 to Journeyman (not cumulative). The poison wears off at the end of the encounter. This would include ranged weapons.

Defender of the Word

Slaps head on forehead!

I have just realised I have absolutely missed one vital aspect of the DAGE rules. It actually is all there and now the Envenom stunt makes absolute sense. I was assuming the dose is used up in an attack but it never says that. Instead it specifically says that the poisons effectiveness lasts for one encounter. So you coat your weapon, and for the duration of the current encounter, anytime you trigger the 2 point stunt, you can trigger the poison effects. Yes you can still only target someone once per poison, but you dont need to reapply a poisoned weapon at all. In effect you are spending a little time and money to gain a new stunt for an encounter. I still think the poisons needed beefing up, as I have done, but now you get unlimited stunt use.
    Last edited by Phantomdoodler; 03-21-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

If true, great, but I really want to say it is one and done.

Defender of the Word

The key phrase here is this: "Once applied, a poisonís effectiveness on a weapon lasts for the duration of a combat encounter only (whether because it drips off, is worn away by a scabbard, or sees its effectiveness degrade through exposure to the air or elements)."

Now dont you think to avoid munchkinism, that rule would have added "or until the Envenom stunt is used"? The Envenom stunt also has no mention of using a dose up after its used. It just triggers the effects of the poison.

If you think about it a one shot effect that only triggers on a stunt is very poor indeed and might not actually get used in an encounter. Thats going to annoy the heck out of someone who just coated their blade in Wyvern Venom after shelling out a small fortune. However a poison-coated blade that now has the potential to slay opponents in an encounter makes that much more tempting. The use of a stunt is actually pretty telling. See how AGE is going to use cybernetics. Rather than a constant ability, certain effects will be triggered by stunts. Stunts are a great balancing tool that allows certain powerful effects happening over a combat, if you are lucky enough to trigger them.

Keeper of Secrets

Upon rereading the rules, I think the correct interpretation is that one application is one use, and it would need to be reapplied. The rules generally refer to it as a dose, which is typically one use. IMO, the passage you are referring to means that the poison remains until you use Envenom.

Also, at the end, the rules state that a target can only be affected by a poison once in an encounter, and that weapons can only have one type and only one dose of that type at one time. If the rules intended a dosage of poison could be reused, I don't think it would be necessary to make that distinction.

That said, imo, I think the incorrect interpretation that one dose lasts the entire encounter is the better rule. And again, I would just simplify the application action: one full turn and that includes set up and take down, and all arrows rather than a set amount.

Defender of the Word

The dose refers to you using that up to coat your weapon. So you can either add it to food etc in which case the drinker takes the full effect of the poison, or use it to coat a weapon, so you can use the stunt for one combat on more than one target. The text just clarifies that you dont double up by having a target take more than one dose at a time, or apply numerous types of potion to any single weapon, which obviously would be open to abuse. As I said, no where does it say you use up a dose to use Envenom. Admittedly the wording isnt entirely clear but if you interpret that one shot way, the rules just dont work. That was my first clue that I was reading the rules wrong. Anyway, the rules above is how I shall run things. Pretty much from DAGE, but with the odd tweak and better and slightly cheaper poisons.
    Last edited by Phantomdoodler; 03-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

If you can essentially reuse the dose, though, there is no reason to put two doses on at the same time. If you are affected by Poison X on turn 2, you are immune to X for the rest of the encounter. So there's no reason to double up the dosage, because you're already immune. So the only reason you would try to have two doses is because you would have to reapply, otherwise that sentence is completely unnecessary (kinda like saying humans can't triple wield weapons).

And you're right that rules don't really work like that - but welcome to AGE. Good overall concept, but lots of cases of bad individual rules. Look at Shapeshifters from DAAGE, or any of the save or dies.

Keeper of Secrets

To be fair, though, I guess you could also argue that it's poorly worded the other way, and they were just redundant. Idk - it's kind of a poorly worded section. The general consensus since Set 2 has been that it's single use.