Results 3,071 to 3,079 of 3079

Thread: Kreuz Control: Paragons - Gourmand, Ghost, CHUD, Blueshift, Impostor

Impostor

PL 7 (105)

Abilities (28)
    STR 2 AGI 2 FIT 5 AWA 1
    STA 2 DEX 0 INT 1 PRE 1

Powers (25)
    identity theft: morph +2 (humanoids) variable +3 (mimicked traits, flaws: limited-no powers -1, limited-no ranks higher than mimicked subject -1) (10)

Advantages (9)
    ambidexterity, assessment, benefit 6 (multiple legal identities), improved initiative

Skills (18/36)
    deception +10
    insight +8
    investigation +8
    persuasion +10

Defenses (25)
    TOU +2 DODGE +11 FORT +7 PARRY +11 WILL +7

complications
    motivation - thrills: Impostor loves his life of subterfuge and espionage

Total
    abilities 28 + powers 10 + advantages 10 + skills 18/36 + defenses 25 = 105

Norbert franks was a nobody. a nighttime custodian, he existed a bland, solitary life, where the only spot of color was his love of spy movies and novels. then one day, people started noticing him, or somebody they thought he was. a quick look in the mirror revealed Norbert was now the perfect likeness of the a-list star in the last movie he watched. experimenting with this, Norbert exploited the man's reputation and wealth all day, bilking high priced goods and meals until people started asking questions. he panicked, ran, and assumed his normal form, and then realized it wasn't so much the loot he enjoyed but the imposture itself... okay, the loot would've been a nice bonus. thus, after perfecting his new talents, Norbert Franks vanished, and the Impostor, high priced spy and paranormal impersonator for hire was born.

those with a copy of paragons may notice that I left off Impostor's power to mimic the non-powered traits of his impostures. this was a deliberate choice on my part, as the power doesn't quite gel with Impostor's background and suggested use
    Last edited by Kreuzritter; 04-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: 1429

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    those with a copy of paragons may notice that I left off Impostor's power to mimic the non-powered traits of his impostures. this was a deliberate choice on my part, as the power doesn't quite gel with Impostor's background and suggested use
    Yeah: if you think about it if the guy could mimic the skills and whatnot of famous people he could easily get a job where he's paid to "be" them (even by the people he's impersonating: there's a reason "body doubles" exist).
    Sequence & Solstice, Crime-fightin' catgirl and her pony
    Catverse Builds

Re: 1429

Quote Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
    Yeah: if you think about it if the guy could mimic the skills and whatnot of famous people he could easily get a job where he's paid to "be" them (even by the people he's impersonating: there's a reason "body doubles" exist).
    you're right, and I've gone back to make the appropriate edits

but, speaking of highly capable impostors...

Re: 1423

Patriot

PL 12 (170)

the setting's cover hero, Patriot is the default sign in Paragons that the world has changed, with the US government unveiling this flying powerhouse as the country's national hero. a little digging confirms what the propaganda says about him, that he was a soldier who was about to give his life for his country, but instead received powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. however, there are two secrets to Patriot that are a lot harder to dig up: the first is that he's not just some high flying living publicity stunt, Patriot's powers are directly tied to his popularity, a fact his handlers are well aware of and go out of their way to make sure Patriot is the idol of millions. the other secret, well, that's for the GM to decide, but its one that could ruin Patriot if it got out. personally, given some of the rest of the book, my money's on 'actually a god'
    Very cool build. Makes me nostalgic for our old Paragons game. Out of curiosity, what makes you think of the "Patriot is a god" secret? It actually fits based on how his powers work (I always wondered how they figured out the "more believers = more power" bit), but was there anything beyond that which lead you to that conclusion? It'd be nice to have his secret be "he's evil".

Re: Kreuz Control: Paragons - Gourmand, Ghost, CHUD, Blueshift, Impostor

well, there's a recurring 'new mythology' motif throughout the book, with characters like Icon or alpha male, factions like the Pact and especially the Pantheon, and frankly, it's the least cliché possibility I could think of after games like Aberrant ran "this high profile hero figure/faction is actually the bad guy" into the ground

well, there's a recurring 'new mythology' motif throughout the book, with characters like Icon or alpha male, factions like the Pact and especially the Pantheon, and frankly, it's the least cliché possibility I could think of after games like Aberrant ran "this high profile hero figure/faction is actually the bad guy" into the ground
    Yeah. Superman/Justice League/local equivalent is the bad guy was getting old even before DC ran it into the ground and then plowed a furrow a mile deep in the last ten years.

It was amazing and fresh when Squadron Supreme did it thirty years ago. But that not only showed the slow decent into fascism, it didn't have the Squadron choking puppies and trying to justify it like so many imitators do.

. . . . now I want to run/write some kind of Paragons/Aberrant crossover. If only to have Divis Mal surprised to find people whose powers don't rely on Quantum and who can thus kick his ass.

Seriously, I liked Aberrant well enough, and even the idea of Caestus Pax being the "Gaston" of the setting was kind of novel. It was a very "Ultimates / Heroes" style setting with an overall darker theme and lots of conspiracies, which at the time was a nice change. The supers games I was familiar with then were Marvel Heroes, DC Heroes, Champions and Villains & Vigilantes, so this kind of setting was kind of interesting and unique.

The problem was that it suffered a lot of White Wolf grim-dark, too many conapiracies, and too many GMNPCs that cause the players to merely be observers during the big moments. When the climax of an adventure is "The heroes watch the writers self-insert character resolve the situation", something has gone wrong.

Which is why Divis Mal is one of my biggest gripes with the setting. They were trying for a Magneto-esque character to give the Terregen some nuance, but really, the organization isn't very complex or sympathetic. It really reads like a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants group where most of the members are racist assholes looking for an excuse to abuse people withoht powers. And Mal isn't very complex or nuanced either, but its clear he's suppose to be. He basically comes off as someone's Mary Sue character.

I will agree that the "evil Superman" thing is being run into the ground. The last decent version of thks was Omni-Man over in Invincible, and only because of character growth. When we got Injustice, well, we hit full oversaturation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    The problem was that it suffered a lot of White Wolf grim-dark, too many conapiracies, and too many GMNPCs that cause the players to merely be observers during the big moments. When the climax of an adventure is "The heroes watch the writers self-insert character resolve the situation", something has gone wrong.
    Yeah, I try to make sure NPC's don't overshadow the PCs. If someone could conceivably beat the villain, they get worfed to prove the situation is serious, or are already off the table. Sometimes I'll let them participate in the fight if thematically it would be appropriate for them to do so, maaaaaybe they get to take the final blow if I feel that needs to be the case. But the players should feel like this is their victory.
    I will agree that the "evil Superman" thing is being run into the ground. The last decent version of thks was Omni-Man over in Invincible, and only because of character growth. When we got Injustice, well, we hit full oversaturation.

Omni-man also had 1) the virtue of his run as "evil superman" be relatively short, 2) the period where you weren't supposed to know he was evil also be pretty short, and 3) the moment of the reveal was completely shocking, being the first gory and brutal scene in the comic and we were given no reason to think he was going to do that.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post

Omni-man also had 1) the virtue of his run as "evil superman" be relatively short, 2) the period where you weren't supposed to know he was evil also be pretty short, and 3) the moment of the reveal was completely shocking, being the first gory and brutal scene in the comic and we were given no reason to think he was going to do that.
    I don't know I thought Valiant from Edison Rex was a nice new twist to the "evil superman" and explores the other side of the thrope that of, the "good lex luthor"