Page 507 of 508 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508 LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 5078

Thread: Kreuz Control - Crinoverse PCs, Newcomers, Sekhmet, Red Claw

Re: Kreuz Control - Crinoverse - Avengers, Chicago Avengers, Truckin' Titans, San Antonio Avengers

well, took a little longer than I expected, but we're just about at the end here folks, with the last of the 2nd ed Crinoverse superhero teams, the

San Antonio Avengers

Ran by Kenseido, SAA was a scaled back number compared to the main crinoverse games, focussing on its titular cityand plot ideas independent of the things common to the main crinoverse games, being one of the last games ran on the original Atomic Think Tank before being brough here to Ronin Army where it and most of its player characters made the jump to third edition, after a onceover of his house rules revealed that most of them were already part of 3rd's mechanics

as most of the PCs were already updated to 3rd ed, I don't need to cover them, so instead i'll look at the PC's who had to drop out a few games in, these being Archer, Galen, and Texas Hurricane. there was Nemo, but Enigmaticone specifically requested I not cover him because he was barely in the game at all, so that's everyone worth mentioning.

Re: Kreuz Control - Crinoverse - Avengers, Chicago Avengers, Truckin' Titans, San Antonio Avengers

One of my biggest complaints about 3e was it went the wrong direction, I prefer crunchier rules. One of the things that made me start thinking more about switching was how few of the "Crinos Crew" would apply to this game - or even the players I was familiar with, and the 2e status of the game was their listed reason. I suspect my long list of house rules was a detractor as well.

So yes, Kreuz and I went through discussing each of the house rules. Many of the loopholes the house rules were meant to fix were in fact closed in 3e - even if not the same way I did it. As we reached the end, there were only two left, one bing how cheap Regeneration was and grappling. Regen is a way around PL if you let it get out of hand but as Ysariel taught me, don't play with PCs who are looking for the loopholes.

Grappling is another issue. I spent a lot of time messing with the 2e Grappling rules trying to make them simulate real life grappling. They were a mess to begin with and I did not help that in any case. Then as I was talking with Kreuz, either I realized or he pointed out that the 3e rules for Grappling was basically an Affliction AP off Strength damage.

Now this might seem confusing, but my brain is okay with that. While I don't agree with how simplified the rules are, they are at least consistent. And I can accept that.

Texas Hurricane

PL 9 (135)

Abilities (34)
    STR 1 AGI 2 FIT 2 AWA 4
    STA 4 DEX 0 INT 2 PRE 2

Powers (53)
    Weather control: dynamic array (38)
    - weather report: environment +7 (three points of effect, extras: dynamic, selective +1) [30]
    - fog: concealment +2 (all visual, extras: concealment +2 (visual, extras: dynamic, attack +0, cloud area +2) [10]
    - freezing ice: affliction +8 (hindered & impaired/disabled & immobile, dodge resists, damage overcomes, extras: dynamic, cone area +1, cumulative +1, extra condition +1, flaw: limited-degree -1) [26]
    - Lightning strike: damage +10 (extras: dynamic, indirect 2, range +1) [24]
    - wind blast: move object +10 (extar: dynamic) [20]
    weather sense: feature +1 (able to predict the weather) (1)
    wind-riding: flight +6, movement +1 (environmental adaptation-high altitude) (14)

Advantages (4)
    defensive roll 4

Skills (18/36)
    athletics +2
    insight +4
    intimidation +2
    ranged combat: weather control +8
    persuasion +6
    perception +6
    technology +2
    treatment +2
    vehicles +4

Defenses (26)
    TOU +8/4 DODGE +10 FORT +9 PARRY +10 WILL +9

complications
    motivation - Legacy: each day, Texas Hurricane lives up to the example set by his father, the first Texas Hurricane
    Prejudice - He's been openly gay since he was a teenager, and although people have come a long way this is Texas. Though he's always just believed that his sexuality is part of who he is and not something to have "pride" in, he still makes no secret about it. He wants people to realise that gay people, especially heroes, are just normal like everyone else.
    Phobia - Tyler suffers from Scotophobia, a fear of darkness and the night. He finds it deeply embarrassing to suffer from what he considers a phobia for children. In the bright lights of the city and in company it's tolerable, but it's when he's alone he's most afraid.

Total
    abilities 34 + powers 53 + advantages 4 + skills 18/36 + defenses 26 = 135

Tyler Hopkins is the second Texas Hurricane; his father Burt was the original, now retired from his job as the municipal defender of their home town of Plano. His mother died when he was very young, so life with just the two of them is all that he knew for a long time, his father never remarrying. His own powers manifested during his teenage years, and ever since his father has trained him extensively in the use of his powers. Neither of them had any doubt in their mind from that point on that Tyler would succeed his father as a hero. Along with training in the use of his powers, Burt was mindful to teach Tyler how to be a good example to others, as well as basic public relations and aircraft piloting; being an airborne hero, he knew that his son would find it useful to know how 'planes and choppers flew.

Recent fortuitous timing meant that Tyler was able to move to San Antonio - a powerful new hero known as Iron Horse came onto the local scene, enabling Tyler to leave his home town without worrying it wouldn't be protected, as well as make his own mark in a new city.

He worries about being accepted in San Antonio, anxious about its atmosphere and its scale compared to Plano. Nevertheless, he's vowed to himself to make friends and work hard to be accepted in the fullness of time.

While Burt was a charismatic personality, every inch the boisterous cowboy, Tyler is a much more thoughtful and sensitive young man - while not shy, he performs his "duties" with a great deal of modesty and efficiency. He feels ambivalent about his 'hero' identity. While he's proud and honoured to take on his father's mantle, he also feels the "cowboy thing" is a little gimmicky, and tries to keep his speech as free from "y'alls" as possible. He never moseys.

Played by Levinwurth, who was gone before I came on, so I turn retrospective duties over to Kenseido

As for the team, the Crinoverse "Rangers" were based on the original PCs me and my friends ran in the Marvel SH RPG using the mini-adventure in the Avengers Coast to Coast supplement. I loved the idea of starting an Avengers Experimental Franchise in San Antonio, there was a big field behind my house where I envisioned the mansion being built, and U never liked playing pre-built characters, even if they were my favorite in the comics.

After a year or so, we got the idea of making ourselves superheroes. That is where Scott and Jon came into the game. We actually rebooted it once, giving ourselves different powers, and even had crossovers between the two alternate universes. The game had crossed into Champions 4th edition by this point.

Then we went on to Vampire and later 3rd edition D&D, until I found Mutants and Masterminds. We rebooted our SA Avengers game, starting over with ourselves back in their teens. This is the version that ended up as the Rangers in Crinoverse. The founders were still the original PCs that ran through the module and we joined as Jr Avengers of a sort.

The Former Avengers are all original PCs or NPCs to fill out the ranks, as there was often only 2 players in the game (there wer 3 of us, but most often only 2 of us were playing at the same time).

Ferrous and Orion were my PCs, with Orion originally being me (Scott is my middle name). Ferrous was randomly rolled up using the MSH game generator. Magentic control, electrical absorption, and telepathy. We didn't do a lot of rolling up characters after this one. Orion was actually Aries originally because I liked the name. I am, in fact, an Aquarius. He got renamed in the reboot.

Foxfire and Warlord were one of my friends. Foxfire was rolled, with Hyper-running (Ultimate Powers) and Flight of the same rank. He also had Telepathy and Cosmic energy blast - which he chose at random but constantly make me think we has an Eternal. Warlord was an obvious Thor-expy without weather control. The PC liked to say he would play him stupid to make his brother (Blader), but sadly all of his PCs suffered that.

Steel started out as Acron (a weird form of video chess that my friend liked). He was originally rolled randomly. Metallic form, kind of strong, with a chain blade because it looked cool. He was the first of the "self heroes" as he never had anyone else in this game. Well, there was that time he played a cyborg assassin who killed off most of the first team.

The second version of ourselves has Jon as a speedster and me as a Iron man expy. When we rebooted this last time, I started out as an armor guy and eventually moved back to Power bands.

Amazon and Coral were actually from the AEF story, I simply renamed them. The module included some extras to include in the tryouts and we used some of the to fill in the ranks. Amazon was actually Ms Mavel II (she hadn't gone She-Thing in the comics yet). Coral was Namorita.

Psi-borg was actually a PC, a friend who didn't join us to often. Literally the only thing I remember about him is his name and his powers: a telepathic cyborg. I have many off putting memories about the friend.

The current roster were all new members added after the Avengers revoked our charter in the second run, but Foxfire continued to fund us. The differences are Shey was actually a SHIELD agent and Captain Freedom was more comically stupid.

They also made the M&M reboot. Cap and Donna where Reserve Avenger with Steel and Orion when a giant robot attacked the city while the SA Avengers were gone. Rhegher thought he killed them. The reserve group came together and topped the robot, with Captain Freedom being in charge since well our PCs were 18 and 19 at the time. Then Orion got super-smart and the whole story went off the rails - but did include Captain Freedom turning on the team. Koria and Rhegher's fate did come from this version of the story and was actually something I had wanted to do.

Which was the main inspiration for the whole game.

Re: 2453

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzritter View Post
    Played by Levinwurth, who was gone before I came on, so I turn retrospective duties over to Kenseido
    This was my first game with Levinwurth so there isn't much. But I do remember he really tried to bring in some characterization. I can't say that about Archer. Levinwurth actually gave me some elements to try and tie into the game. I was planning some legacy villains for him since he was a legacy hero. I think it would have been cool.

Galen

PL 9 (135)

Abilities (24)
    STR 8 AGI 2 FIT 2 AWA 2
    STA 8 DEX 0 INT 0 PRE 2

Powers (62)
    bio-manipulation: array (27)
    - deabilitate: weaken +8 (physical abilities, extras: broad +1, range +1) [24]
    - enhance recovery: Healing +8 (extra: energizing +1) [24]
    - narcoleptic reaction: affliction +8 (fatigued/exhausted/asleep, fort resists, extras: cumulative +1, range +1) [24]
    - pain receptors: affliction +8 (daze/stun/incapacitate, fort resists, extra: cumulative +1, range +1) [24]
    efficient biology: immunity +2 (disease, poison), regeneration +5 (7)
    performance enhancer: enhanced STR +6, Enhanced STA +6, Leaping +2, speed +2 (28)

Advantages (1)
    inspire

Skills (24/48)
    expertise: life science +8
    expertise: pop culture +4
    insight +6
    perception +6
    persuasion +4
    ranged combat: bio-manipulation +10
    technology +4
    treatment +6

Defenses (24)
    TOU +8/2 DODGE +10 FORT +10/4 PARRY +10 WILL +8

complications
    Prejudice: Galen is a mutant and there are several groups who don't like them.
    Motivation -Claremont Rules: Galen uses his powers to help others in an effort to live up to the ideals instilled in him by the teaching staff at Claremont Academy.
    Non-Cape Life: Galen isn't a full time hero, attending college and having a dating life.
    Secret Identity: Galen tries to keep his heroic life seperate from his life as Alex Kale.

Total
    abilities + powers + advantages + skills / + defenses = 135

Alex Kale was a mutant whose parents feared what the world would do to him if his status ever became public knowledge and responded to an ad by a research firm saying they were trying to develope a form of therapy that would suppress the emerging powers of their patients. Unfortunately the research firm was simply a front for The Institute for Human Advancement, who took Alex and put him through a battery of tests to determine exactly what kind of powers he was manifesting as well as beginning the process of brainwashing him.

Fortunately for Alex members of the The Initiative, a newer class of students from Claremont Academy, had been captured by the IHA as well. However thanks to the training they'd already recieved at their school Cloud 9, Komodo, MVP, Armory, Hardball, and Boulder managed to free themselves as well as Alex and several others the IHA scientists had been working on while they proceeded to trash the facility. Only a few of the newly freed mutants choose to take Headmaster Summers up on his offer to attend Claremont, Alex among them.

Over the next four years he stayed out of trouble, not joining any of the more adventureous groups of students who had replaced the Next-Gen as the school's unoffical team, and did well in his classes. Alex pushed himself to be a good all-around student, holding a solid 3.0 grade point and many of the teaching staff thought he'd get into the hero business upon his graduation. But Alex surprised all of them when instead he choose to apply to college, specializing in medical science in San Antonio.

During the Invasion Alex did what he could, using his powers descretly to help those injured by the invaders and mentally cursing the Rangers for leaving the city vulnerable. In the aftermath of the Invasion Alex saw that San Antonio was lacking in active superheroes and knowing that he was probably one of the few people there who actually had the proper training for such work, put together a costume and began doing what he could to protect the city.

Tattooedman's character, Galen was still in play when I joined the game, but almost immediately thereafter, Tattooedman would swap him out for Beacon

Archer

PL 9 (135)

Abilities (36)
    STR 0 AGI 4 FIT 2 AWA 2
    STA 4 DEX 2 INT 2 PRE 2

Powers (15)
    bow & trick arrows: array (flaw: easily removable) (15)
    - standard arrow: Damage +6 (extras: range +1) [12]
    - grappling arrow: movement +3 (safe fall, swinging, wall-crawling) [6]
    - grenade arrow: damage +6 (extras: burst area +1, range +1) [18]
    - flashbang arrow: affliction +6 (vision & hearing impaired/disabled/unaware, fort resists, extras: extra condition +1, range +1) [18]
    - smoke arrow: concealment +2 (sight, extras: attack +0, cloud area +1, range +1) [18]
    - bolo arrow: affliction +6 (hindered & vulnerable/immobile & defenseless, dodge resists, extras: cumulative +1, extra condition +1, range +1, flaw: limited degree -1) [18]

Advantages (23)
    agile feint, attractive, beginner's luck, benefit 4 (wealth 4), def roll 2, equipment 2, improved aim, improved crit 2 (archery), improved smash, improvised tools, languages 2 (german, russian, spanish) precise attack 2 (ranged cover/concealment), quick draw, taunt, uncanny dodge

Skills (35/70)
    acrobatics +4
    athletics +4
    deception +8
    expertise: business +4
    expertise: science +4
    insight +4
    investigation +8
    perception +8
    persuasion +8
    ranged combat: archery +10
    sleight of hand +4
    technology +4

Defenses (26)
    TOU +8/2/4 DODGE +10 FORT +10 PARRY +10 WILL +8

equipment
    body armor: Protection +2 [2]
    night vision goggles [1]
    penthouse apartment headquarters (per Gamemaster's guide, page 219) [5]

complications
    motivation - thrills: superheroics is a thrilling pursuit of Archer's
    secret identity: no one suspects that the archer is secretly Heine Xanatos, millionaire playboy

Total
    abilities 36 + powers 15 + advantages 23 + skills 35/70 + defenses 26 = 135

The first worthy-of-mention step of Heine Xanatos' life began in January of 2001, when the untimely passing of his father left him as the majority shareholder of Xanatos Medical Technologies (his father's company) as well as an up-and-coming arms manufacturer and a software company specializing in robotic teaching aids.

Left with few to turn to, and even less to trust, a young Heine managed to stay afloat of hungry executives and a greedy board of directors through a mish mash of wit, intelligence, and sheer, dumb luck. Though many schemed against him (and continue to do so to this day), all eventually admitted to Heine's stunning abilities as a CEO. His commanding presence, charismatic personality, and ruthless attention to even the most minute details kept him, as well as his holdings, safe from greedy hands. But for some odd reason, being rich beyond the wildest imaginations of the average citizen never seemed to suffice.

Sure, the boardroom meetings were still just as cutthroat as before. And certainly, there was a sense of anticipation when closing a multi-million dollar contract. But none of those things held the same thrill that they once did to a now older and savvier Heine Xanatos. Pursuing sports did little to slake his thirst, and instead resulted in several Olympic-class trainers being thoroughly embarrassed in their respective sports. It was during this time of personal unrest, where neither mundane sports (like golf or archery) nor extreme ones (like base jumping or parkour) did little to satisfy the young CEO...

...that he found his next thrill.

The city of San Antonio had been safe and (relatively) quiet with the constant presence of the Rangers. But after the Invasion, all manner of crimes began sprouting up within the city as if criminals had been biding their time for just such a moment. Every day the news would show some new headline about a criminal act gone unanswered and nowhere were the Rangers, or any other heroes, available for a statement.

Now, it would be a lie to say that Heine wasn't among the 1% utterly undisturbed by the criminal depravity that was beginning to grow rampant in the city of San Antonio. After all, copious amounts of money had created sort of buffer zone between the plight of citizens and his penthouse suite. But while surfing the web one day, he chanced upon a video of a young teenager dressed in an extremely green and yellow...leotard? Onesie?

Fashion-sense aside, the self-proclaimed super hero named 'Kick-Ass' inspired the CEO to rise up from his haunches and actually go seek his next thrill: super-hero...ing.

But if Kick-Ass's exploits had taught Heine one thing, it was that a onesie bought from Dick's Sporting Goods would hardly serve any purpose when fighting crime. A couple of favors and misplaced purchase orders later, Heine stood equipped with the latest that his respective companies had to offer. The thrill of what the board of trustees might think upon finding out that their CEO was out gallivanting as a masked vigilante was certainly amusing to say the least, but at the same time, as he began doing good for people not just from behind a cushy, Corinthian leather executive's chair, but actually face-to-face, he found the stirrings of some long hidden heroic fiber in his being.

And while he was certainly out of his comfort zone, with some well polished skills in archery, a wide repertoire of witty quips, and deep pockets, Heine Xanatos, donning the heroic moniker of "Archer", was beginning to do San Antonio some good.

Griever's character, though from what I've heard he didn't stick around long enough to make an impression

And that's it for the updated Crinoverse characters. that said, there were characters from Crinos' attempts at running horror games, but I think that'll do for now. now, for one last crinoverse PC to wrap things up...

Shockette

PL 10 (150)

Abilities (24)
    STR 0 AGI 2 FIT 0 AWA 2
    STA 10 DEX 0 INT 6 PRE 0

Powers (75)
    electric control: array (29)
    - ball lightning: damage +8 (extras: burst area +1, range +1) [24]
    - blackout: nullify +8 (electric effects, extras: broad +1, simultaneous +1) [24]
    - lightning bolt: Damage +12 (extra: range +1, precise) [25]
    - magnetism: move object +10 (extra: burst area +1, flaw: requires metals -1) [20]
    - Taser: Affliction +12 (daze/stun/incapacitate, fort resists, extras: range +1) [24]
    electrosense & radar: senses +7 (acute ranged detect electricity, accurate radio) (7)
    Electrostatic levitation and zapping about: flight +10 (20)
    inexplicably hardy: enhanced STA +8 (16)
    MRI vision: senses +4 (vision penetrates concealment) (4)

Advantages (4)
    improved initiative, move-by action, power attack, skill mastery (science)

Skills (21/42)
    expertise: mad science +8
    insight +4
    intimidation +6
    investigation +6
    perception +4
    ranged combat: electric control +8
    technology +6

Defenses (26)
    TOU +10 DODGE +10 FORT +10 PARRY +10 WILL +10

complications
    motivation - SHOW THEM ALL!: Shockette wants to enlighten the world to the benefits of responsible mad science and superpowers
    They called me mad!: Shockette acts much like the stereotypical mad scientist, such as crazed laughter and monologuing
    water hazard: Shockette and her powers react badly with water

Total
    abilities 24 + powers 75 + advantages 3 + skills 21/42 + defenses 26 = 150

Not even Dr. Sabrina H. Oquette can recall exactly what experiment caused the lab accident it was that got her kicked out of the university's science department, the resulting EMP wiping all of her computer data as well as doing a number on her short-term memory. All she knew was that she now had paranormal abilities and a manic tilt to her personality that had several people confusing her for some sort of supervillain. Undaunted, the quickly dubbed Shockette has decided to expand the knowledge of meta-biology, by observing the abilities of herself and other super-powered individuals in actual field conditions rather than a laboratory's controlled environment, and using the heroics to both help others and rebuild her integrity and credibility for when she can publish her findings

my character in Crinoverse: Disaster Day, as run by Silvercatmoonpaw. one flaw to this design that became apparent in play is that I, for whatever reason, chose an area effect for her move object instead of single target

up next are four characters I missed during my period of updating Freedom City characters from 2nd edition, the Newcomers, a team of young aliens who operated throughout the 1970s both as wandering heroes and a touring, semi-successful rock band