Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

Keeper of Secrets

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: The Buildfest Continues

This is where I stopped last time, so no references back to the old thread, and more pedantic notes. I realized why, though; these are some of my least favourite archetypes, and the rolls didn't work great. I feel the need to press through, though, and maybe I'll be inspired.

Seven

Archetype: Martial Artist

To be blunt, I like powers, so I usually avoid the unpowered types, and martial artists seem like the most one-note characters. Then again, I felt similarly about the Crimefighter, and I really like how Tripplehorn turned out.

Abilities: Mystic Endowment

This shows some promise. Something to break up the long list of Advantages.

Background Advantages: Standard plus Wealthy

Conflicted about this. Agile Feint is one of my favourites, but Wealth is one of my least.

Element Advantages: Fire
    Style Advantages: Dragon

Fire Dragon seems like a predictable combo, but Fire has the more heroic Advantages and Dragon seems to fill out all of the tradeoffs and the "circular" unarmed attacks (Disarms, Grabs and Trips), so not too shabby.

Skills: Mercenary

Again, not a big fan of mercs, and this one's wealthy. Character-wise, he might be a skilled criminal mercenary and likely a killer, or a bored millionaire merking for kicks.

Combat Powers: Chi Mastery - Flurry of Blows + 3 AEs

This version of Flurry is most useful for character with a lot of different weapons, and I don't see that here. It might be worth trading an AE or two for gear.

Utility Powers: Meditation

A fistful of low-rank immunities bought Sustained, meaning they last as long as the PC is not stunned or KO'd. Aging is weird, but maybe useful against Age-based attacks. Holding breath for essentially an unlimited amount of time is interesting. Everything else is environmental or toxic.

7 Martial Artist - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 12, Intellect 1, Awareness 6, Presence 1

Advantages
    Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit, Wealth 3 (millionare), Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inspire, Interpose, Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Takedown

Skills
    Acrobatics 4 (+9), Athletics 6 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+14), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 4 (+10)

Powers
    Chi Mastery
    . . Flurry of Blows (Multiattack, Selective, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - any attack effect you wield, up to the attack’s rank)
    . . plus 3 more AEs

Meditation: Immunity 9 (Aging, Disease, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Cold, Poison, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All); Sustained; Custom 4: must pick 5)

Offense
    Initiative +9
    Grab, +12 (DC Spec 15)
    Throw, +5 (DC 18)
    Unarmed, +14 (DC 18)

Defense
    Dodge 11, Parry 12, Fortitude 9, Toughness 7/3, Will 11

Power Points
    Abilities 72 + Powers 20 + Advantages 25 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 150

This is also somewhat reminiscent of Iron Fist, which is currently generating a lot of opinions on Netflix. A friend of mine is doing his own exhaustive research and commentary on it and posting it on his blog, so it may be colouring my attitude.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: The Buildfest Continues

Eight

Archetype: Mimic

Mimics are always tricky, since they usually require Variable and can potentially break PL.

Abilities: Blank Slate

2's across the board. No character suggestion whatsoever, but that's kind of the point.

Advantages: Discerning plus 2 additional options
    Skills: Furtive plus 1 additional option (or double-Furtive?)

Yet another Assessing PC with minimal Insight. Evaluative but background; sounds like a low-level spy type.

Powers: Object Mimicry

Probably the least problematic of the Mimicries. With the "blending-in observer" vibe from the other rolls, it's likely this could be someone that camouflages themselves like a chameleon and does recon. Could actually be interesting as an NPC, but it might be challenging to make them interesting for a player.

8 Mimic - PL 7

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
    Assessment, Skill Mastery: Insight + 4p

Skills
    Deception 12 (+14), Stealth 12 (+14)

Powers
    Object Mimicry: Variable 8 (Reaction 3: reaction, Notes: for traits of object touched)

Offense
    Initiative +2
    Grab, +2 (DC Spec 12)
    Throw, +2 (DC 17)
    Unarmed, +2 (DC 17)

Defense
    Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 7, Toughness 2, Will 7

Power Points
    Abilities 32 + Powers 80 + Advantages 6 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 150
    Last edited by JDRook; 03-22-2017 at 07:46 PM.

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

As another quick diversion from the QCG builds, I wanted to get these ideas down in one place, especially since the old ATT board is possibly gone.

Super Weapons

There are quite a few standard weapon tropes that players come back to over and over.

Infinite Arsenals

Making any weapon appear is a common power, and can be simpler than you'd expect. Melee weapons are relatively inexpensive with most of the standard list from the book costing 5p or less. This can easily represented with a rank 1 Variable.

Arsenal: Variable 1 (Action: move; Limited: Melee Weapons) - 7p

Variable is meant to have a built-in limit based on its Descriptor, but I figure limiting it to only standard close weapons is a reasonable Flaw. Default Action to change the configuration is Standard, but bumping it up to Move allows for changing the weapon and attacking with it in the same round. Move is also similar to "drawing" the weapon, so while you could easily do it as a Free Action for only 1p more, keeping it as a Move Action fits the concept well. Overall, it's restricted enough that it's not too powerful a Variable and it's simpler than making a similar Array with more than 3 settings.

Increasing the Variable to rank 2 would allow for weapons more powerful than the standards, or other logical possibilities like paired weapons, shields or hand tools. That much flexibility would probably require removing the Flaw (GM's choice). At 16p, it might be better to choose a handful of configurations and make an Array. Here's a sample build:

Weapon Sets
    . . Daisho: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 20, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Split: 2 targets)
    . . Nonlethal Attacks
    . . . . Pepper Spray: Affliction 4 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, DC 14; Alternate Resistance (Dodge); Limited: Visual)
    . . . . Stun Gun: Affliction 5 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15)
    . . Oversized Chainsaw: Damage 7 (DC 22; Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
    . . Paired Sai: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 19, Advantages: Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Weapon Bind; Split: 2 targets)
    . . Sword and Shield
    . . . . Shield: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Parry +2 (+2), Dodge +2 (+2))
    . . . . Sword: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 18, Advantages: Improved Critical)
    . . Whip
    . . . . Movement 1 (Swinging)
    . . . . Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 16, Advantages: Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Trip; Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)

This is built with 6 slots of 8p each for only 13p. The types are a little weird, but demonstrate the range of melee weapons with a few extra uses.

Ranged Weapons is a little more expensive, but can also be made quite simply depending on how much variation you desire.

All the Guns: Damage 7 (DC 22, Advantages: Accurate Attack, Power Attack; Increased Range: ranged)

Most guns are defined as just different Damage ranks with Range, so this allows for a weapon that can be any rank from 2 (Derringer) to 12 (Tank Shells), with a sliding accuracy that keeps it from going over PL, although ideally the wielder needs at least +5 to hit for full usage.

Again, Variable is an option, able to get most conventional ranged weapons in 2 ranks, 3 ranks for automatic weapons and sniper rifles. That would go up over 20p, but an Array could be made with All the Guns above and a few AEs with Multiattack or other modifiers for less than 20p.

Of course no discussion of truly super comic-book weapons would be complete without mentally controlled weapons, the best known being Thor's warhammmer Mjollnir. Now one of Mjollnir's features is the ability to come when called, no matter how far away, and a common interpretation for that is a Limited Move Object power. My preference is to simply treat the hammer like a power as opposed to a separate device. A simplified version is something like this:

Warhammer - 19p + 3AE
    . . Hammer Strike: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 27, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Penetrating 12; Activation: move action) - 1p
    . . Hammer Throw/Lightning Bolt: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor: close group - Bludgeoning/Electricity; Activation: move action) - 1p
    . . Only the Worthy: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Movement) - 1p
    . . Returning Hammer: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged, Indirect 4: any point, any direction; Quirk: Must already be thrown) - 19p

To My Hand!: Feature 1 (Buys off Activation if hammer is in hand)

This assumes a thundergod-like PC with STR 8. The Strike is most powerful at rank 12 and able to overcome most armor. The Throw/Bolt is less strong at rank 8 but compensates with both range and flexbility. Returning Hammer gives the ability to make the hammer attack while in flight, with a possible circumstance bonus for surprise; it can fly in any direction, including back to the PC's hand.

The Activation - Move isn't strictly necessary, but for concept it works as a way to "call" the hammer to wield it. To My Hand! is a Feature to buy it off the activation when the hammer is in hand. It requires a little work on the player's part to specify when the hammer is held or still in flight, but I think this adds to the flavour of the power itself.

I added Only the Worthy to simulate the hammer's resistance to movement. It's a little handwavy in that it's technically Sustained and therefore shouldn't work when the PC is unconscious, but a GM willing to follow your concept shouldn't be too hard to find.

As is, this Warhammer costs 23p total, including the Feature, and would probably fit well into any PL10 game. It can't be taken away or disarmed except as a Complication. I suppose you could also make it a Removable Device, but I definitely wouldn't allow it to be Easily Removable if it's so easy to reclaim.

I have a few other ideas that I'll either come back to here or continue in another post.
    Last edited by JDRook; Today at 04:18 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

Nine

Archetype: Mystic

This is Doctor Strange territory. Superhero mages can be troublesome due to their "do anything" magic arrays, but a solid theme and good RP can usually avoid that.

Abilities: Magical Heritage

This set favours Awareness more than any of the other types. I'm a big fan of using AWE as an alternative to INT to represent broader intelligence, more "street smarts vs book learning". Character-wise, coming from a long line of mages could be interesting.

Advantages: HQ, Standard plus Enchanter

In theory this could make the PC more of a Magic-based Gadgeteer, not unlike my Street Mage build, although the magic arrays aren't written as Removable.

Skills: Standard plus Occult Investigator

A Paranormal Gadgeteer makes me immediately think Ghostbusters, which could provide some inspirations. A little sleuthing could be fun and help round out the other spells choices.

Offensive Powers:
    Magic Spells - Blast and Ghost Hands + 4 AEs

Ghost Hands is what I usually think of as "TV-Kinesis": the kind of TK they use in TV shows that has no visible beams or other effects, because it's simpler and cheaper. Comics require some visible beam or motion lines or something, otherwise it can be hard to tell something is happening in a still frame. It's also probably the most iconic magic power there is, performing "action at a distance."

Secondary Powers: Standard Astral Projection w/ Flight-Shield AE

This uses the same Astral Projection as the basic Mystic Archetype at a lower rank, although the Power Profiles uses the same build with a Side Effect -2 Flaw, which allows for a big point break or more ranks for the same cost.

Other Powers:
    Immortal

Immortality as a power is problematic. Rank 1 like this one means your PC can die but come back from the dead! . . . in 2 weeks. This is fine in most passive fiction and might work okay in a solo game, but in a team setting it means one player is essentially sitting out for a long while. This might even work for certain playstyles or schedules ("Guys, I'll only be able to show up roughly every fourth session, but I'm gonna make sure I get killed doing something awesome!") but most of the time it's going to be tough to work around.

Of course for a 2p power it doesn't have to come up that often. In fact it's kind of ideal to use at the end of a campaign against your BBEG, dying in glorious combat and coming back after everything cools off.

Considering this mystic has a magic heritage, it's inevitable that most if not all of their family is still alive, if they're all immortal.

9 Mystic - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 3, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 7, Presence 4

Advantages
    Artificer, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Magic, Trance

Skills
    Expertise: Magic 10 (+12), Insight 6 (+13), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+11), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7)

Powers

Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 8 (Affects: 3 Types, inc. Visual - Visual, Auditory, Mental, Range: 1 mile; Subtle 2: undetectable; Limited: Physical body is defenseless) - 26p
    . . Levitation and Mystic Shield - 1p
    . . . . Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
    . . . . Protection 12 (+12 Toughness; Impervious [6 ranks only], Sustained)

Immortal - 3p

. . Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks)
    . . Immunity 1 (Aging)

Magic Spells

. . Ghost Hands: Move Object 7 (3 tons; Increased Range: perception, Precise, Subtle 2: undetectable) - 24p
    . . Magical Blast: Blast 12 (DC 27) - 1p
    . . plus 3 AEs

Offense
    Initiative +1
    Ghost Hands: Move Object 7 (DC 17)
    Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
    Magical Blast: Blast 12, +8 (DC 27)
    Throw, +8 (DC 15)
    Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12, Will 14

Power Points
    Abilities 42 + Powers 56 + Advantages 8 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 144