Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: Back 10 of The 20 - The Hacksmith

Let's pick this up again. I ground to a halt on the martial artist, but I figured I'd start again from the end. I've got some ideas for the Weather Controller (tentative codename: Zephyr), but I got some good inspiration for the Weapon Master, now trying it out as:

The Hacksmith - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 6, Fighting 7, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
    Agile Feint, Benefit, Ambidexterity, Connected, Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Great Endurance, Improved Critical: Shield Bash, Improved Smash, Inventor, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Quick Draw, Redirect, Second Chance: Resist Disarm, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Skill Mastery: Athletics, Taunt, Weapon Bind, Tech Specialty: Weapons*

*Custom Advantage: Tech Checks are +5 for weapon-related items

Skills
    Acrobatics 10 (+16), Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat: Shield 6 (+13), Deception 10 (+11), Expertise: Personal Training 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Persuasion 10 (+11), Ranged Combat: Shield 8 (+14), Stealth 6 (+12), Technology 6 (+6)

Powers

Go-Juice Injector (Removable) - 5p
    . . Healing 5 (Temporary, 5 uses) - [3p]
    . . Performance Enhancement: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round, Advantages: Great Endurance, Skill Mastery:Athletics) - [3p]

Magnetic Recovery Shield (Easily Removable) - 10p
    . . Blocking: Deflect 14 - [14p]
    . . Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21, Advantages: Improved Critical, Improved Smash, Second Chance: Resist Disarm, Weapon Bind; Penetrating 6, Split: 2 targets) - [1p]
    . . Shield Throw: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21; Custom: Ricochet as Indirect 2 requiring surface reflection, Homing: 1 extra attempt, Increased Range: ranged [3 extra ranks], Indirect: fixed point, directed away, Split 2: 3 targets) - [1p]

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Grab, +7 (DC Spec 13)
    Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 3, +13 (DC 21)
    Shield Throw: Strength-based Damage 3, +14 (DC 21)
    Throw, +6 (DC 18)
    Unarmed, +7 (DC 18)

Complications
    Drugs are bad, mmkay: The Go-Juice is experimental and not a nice mix. The speed and advantages don't last beyond the temporary healing, and the "crash" can cause migraines, nausea and muscle spasms. Ideally, he wouldn't use it more than once a day, but multiple uses would increase the side effects, potentially inflicting Impaired and Disabled Conditions.

Defense
    Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6/3, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 56 + Powers 15 + Advantages 16 + Skills 37 (74 ranks) + Defenses 26 = 150

The rolls gave me a charming, sneaky, self-made hero with Regen powers, so I figured that needed to be fixed. He's still really physically gifted with the skills to be a real people-person, so I thought I'd make him a Personal Trainer as his Expertise. I also added Inventor so he build his own gadgets, although he still has an average INT.

I actually ditched his Weapons Expertise and used a Custom Advantage I'd thought up to let him specialize in any Tech check that focuses on Weapons. In practice, it gives a +5 to the check, similar to a circumstantial bonus. It could potentially break PL for skills, but I'd recommend limiting it to only one specialty per PC as a form of niche protection.

I decided his Regen really needed to go, so I thought it would be more interesting if he had some kind of painkiller-style system to ignore damage for a while and maybe increase a few other traits. It's not quite Hourman, but the Go-Juice covered everything the rolls gave plus a few extras to make a good performance enhancing drug, complete with some side effects. I considered giving him some Chemistry or something so he could make his own, but figured he could have found a (potentially shady) source through his personal training. Therefore I gave him the Connections Advantage to acquire the drugs, but he can still build his own delivery system.

This does open up some possibilities for addiction or a shady past or other story hooks. I like the idea that he might be heroing to make up for past wrongs but is still stuck on the Juice for his power.

I changed the Shield a bit, upping a few ranks but removing Multiattack for Split. The range feels a bit high; I might apply Diminished Range to bring them down to slightly more realistic throwing ranges. I did go a little crazy with the flat Extras and Advantages. The Shield Bash has some Disarm bonuses that technically have a Magnetic Descriptor. The Throw has my Custom Ricochet on it. The Magnetic Descriptor should also allow for some interesting power stunts; the actual Hacksmith electromagnet for the shield is apparently good to 3,000lbs or about STR 6.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: Back 10 of The 20 - The Hacksmith

Quote Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
    Go-Juice Injector (Removable) - 5p
    . . Healing 5 (Temporary, 5 uses) - [3p]
    . . Performance Enhancement: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round, Advantages: Great Endurance, Skill Mastery:Athletics) - [3p]
    It occurred to me that I never put a "Self Only" Limit on Healing, so it could be used to temporarily heal other people. Of course, the Performance Enhancement doesn't have Affects Others, so that wouldn't carry over. I could change these. but narratively it could just mean that the cocktail is tuned to his metabolism (or vice versa) for the PE, but the "healing" which is essentially painkillers and adrenaline would still be good for anyone. It should still be considered experimental and addictive, though, so there are all kinds of potential Complications around using it on other people.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!