Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: JDRook's builds and blather

I might just scrap the 61p Summon itself and make up a list of things I'd want to do with controlled shadows. Since they are incorporeal, it actually makes more sense to build them as Effects, IMO, or at least be more logical than doing the same with ninjas or robots. Also, I can have an arbitrarily high/infinite number of shadows and not worry about running out of them.

Shadow Swarm - Selective Burst Area Damaging Move Object
    Reconnaissance - Remote Sensing
    Obscuring Shadow Mob - Obscure or Environment
    Shadow Face Wrap - Affliction
    Shadowbeast - Summon PL10 Creature as per Imaginary Friend

I could probably put these all in a Dynamic Array with a 50p pool and be happy.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Defender of the Word Power-Glove's Avatar

Bam! That's even better than my construct which I'll throw on my "Handful" thread.
    The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
    Just call me Doug.

Seventeen

Archetype: Totem
    I didn't think this was a common archeytpe until I realized most of the characters in the Spiderman books are in this category. Surprisingly, you can't make Doctor Octopus, although it wouldn't be too hard to tweak out a Man-bat.

Abilities: Pachyderm
    The Abilities are all based on the animal class(?) of the subset. Pachyderm is obviously the strongest (base STR 12) but also the least nimble, with AGI, DEX and FGT lower than everyone else's.

Behavioral Advantages: Sneaky
    Social Advantages: Vengeful
    These make for a weird combo, particularly for a pachyderm. Sneaky and Intimidating falls more into the Dark Avenger back in the Crimefighter 'type. Figuring out its Favored Foe will depend on its backstory.

Origin Skills: Mutation
    Disposition Skills: Wise
    Together these include all of the INT and AWE skills, making for a somewhat cerebral feel for the character.

Powers: Standard Pachyderm + Rhino
    And basically we're left with Spidey's Rhino, only smarter.

17 Totem - PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 7, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
    Daze (Intimidation), Evasion, Favored Foe: ????, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2: Great Horn, Improved Initiative, Startle

Skills
    Expertise: ???? 8 (+8), Insight 8 (+11), Investigation 6 (+6), Perception 8 (+11), Technology 6 (+6), Treatment 4 (+4)

Powers
    Armored Plates: Immunity 4 (Critical Hits, Uncommon Descriptor: slam damage))
    Great Horn: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 30, Advantages: Improved Critical 2)
    Thick Hide: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious [7 extra ranks])
    Unstoppable Charge
    . . Penetrating 15 on Damage: Feature 15 (Limited: slam attacks)
    . . Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Grab, +5 (DC Spec 22)
    Great Horn: Strength-based Damage 3, +5 (DC 30)
    Throw, +2 (DC 27)
    Unarmed, +5 (DC 27)

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 9, Fortitude 11, Toughness 11, Will 9

Power Points
    Abilities 68 + Powers 36 + Advantages 6 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 150

- I used Feature for Penetrating because Strength Effect in HeroLab doesn't allow Flaws on modifiers, and Enhanced Extra and Enhanced Trait can't seem to do it right, either. Love it; not perfect.

- I'm kinda tempted to make a vengeful Rhino character, tired of being Spidey's least respected nemesis and becoming the Batman of pachyderms. His Favored Foe could be Nimble Characters: anyone with AGI 5+ or Acro 10+. Could be fun, if a little limited in application.

- Unfortunately the Skills and Advantages don't really hang together. Skills all focus on INT and AWE, while the Advantages need Intimidation (PRE) and Stealth (AGI). It's a tough choice on which one to favour, although I could just let the PC have Advantages that it's not very good at. Something like that could be roleplayed for comedy, or the joyful suspense of failed checks, but it does stick in my design craw a little.
    Last edited by JDRook; 05-06-2017 at 11:48 AM.

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Eighteen

Archetype: Warrior
    Back to more familiar types. This one I recognize but don't often play, although there's certainly a range available. The initial thought is Conan the Barbairan, but Aquaman or Wonder Woman would probably fit in this category, as would Drax or Gamora. Heck, even Wolverine.

Abilities: Otherworldly
    Only two options. This one is stronger and tougher, but with lower FGT and DEX, so not as broadly capable as the Altered Human. Also less AWE but more PRE, so more charismatic or intimidating that perceptive.

Background Advantages: Survivor
    Combat Advantages: Skillful

All Warriors get Agile Feint, Power Attack and Takedown. This one is also hard to keep down and fights with precision, even when blinded.

Skills: Standard plus Mystical
    All Warriors get Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, and Perception training. Mystical gives some magic skill and even more Insight, so hard to fool.

Primary Powers: Winged
    All options give some Enhanced Ability; 3 give STA, 3 including Winged give AWE (Exemplar gives both). The rest is Immunities and other stuff. Winged gives what you expect for a flyer; Flight, Extended Sight and Cold Immunity.

An otherworldly mystical winged survivor? Could it be the last Angel? Or at least a Thanagarian?

Combat Powers: Unique Weapon: Thundering Mallet
    The other options give STR and various Defenses and/or combat traits. Unique Weapon has a base Damage Effect with either another Linked Attack effect or a Movement Power. TM is a Defense-dropping Affliction, while Atom-Slicer is a Toughness Weakener, so both can really mess up an opponent. Both also have Penetrating 2 to overcome . . . Impervious Fortitude? Funny how rare that comes up.

So it's an angel with Thor's Hammer. Or Hawkman.

18 Warrior - PL 10

Strength 7, Stamina 8, Agility 6, Dexterity 4, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 4/2, Presence 3

Advantages
    Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Takedown, Ultimate Effort: Toughness checks

Skills
    Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+13), Expertise: ???? 6 (+7), Insight 10 (+14), Perception 6 (+10)

Powers
    Thundering Mallet (Easily Removable)
    . . Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative, Linked: Strength-based Damage 3, Penetrating 2; Limited Degree)
    . . Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 25; Accurate: +2, Penetrating 10)
    Winged
    . . Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Awareness +2 (+4), Dodge +2 (+12), Parry +2 (+12))
    . . Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)
    . . Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Cold)
    . . Senses 1 (Extended: Vision 1: x10)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Cumulative Affliction 10, +8 (DC Fort 20)
    Grab, +8 (DC Spec 17)
    Strength-based Damage 3, +10 (DC 25)
    Throw, +4 (DC 22)
    Unarmed, +8 (DC 22)

Defense
    Dodge 12/10, Parry 12/10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 78 + Powers 32 + Advantages 9 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 150

- 'member all those other archetypes early on that had Assessment but really low Insight? This build has the highest insight of the bunch. Know what the odds are of rolling Assessment randomly for a Warrior? Zero, zilch, nada, not available as an option is the Advantage that lets you "quickly size up an opponent's combat capabilities." For the Warrior. Am I the only one who sees this as an oversight?
    Last edited by JDRook; 04-23-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Nineteen

Archetype: Weapon Master
    Another of the base archetypes that I don't use often because I like my powers built in, but this is where you would find your Hawkeyes and Green Arrows, your Captain Americas and Inigo Montoyas.

Abilities: Self-Made
    The dedicated self-trainer. Of the 3 options this one has a higher AWE and PRE than the others, although all of them are very close with almost every Ability within one rank of the others.

Advantages I: Reactive Fighter + 1 set of 3 advs
    Advantages II: Tricky
    All WMs get Def Roll 3 and choice of 2 tradeoff Advantages. Reactive mentions blind-fighting but lists Precise Atack: Close or Ranged Cover while Blindfighting would be more accurate as PrecAtt: Close Comcealment. Tricky leans toward Deception-based Advs.

Skills: Standard, Combat Set choice
    ALL WMs get Acrobatics, Athletics, and an Expertise of choice. For the two combat sets the first one favours Close Combat while the second is more Ranged focused.

Background Skills: Weaponsmith
    These sets are an Expertise and a complementary Skill. Weapons and Tech are pretty straightforward

Mental Skills: Smooth Talker
    These are all some combination of PRE-based skills and/or Insight. The high ranks and low PRE for all variations indicates the awareness of how point-inefficient PRE is. Smmoth Talker focuses on Deception and Persuasion (much like Attractive without a gender limit) and Insight.

Physical Skills: Sneaky
    All three are more Acro and Ath plus a third skill. Sneaky of course is Stealth-focused

Signature Weapon Powers: Super-Shield
    Difficult to not compare this to Cap Am now. This is an Array with Deflect, Penetrating Damage and Ranged Multiattack Damage. I will change it.

Utility Powers: Super-Soldier
    And now it is Cap, or at least a reasonable clone. Regen seems like a little much for a Self-made PC, so that might change.

19 Weapon Master - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 6, Fighting 7, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
    Benefit, Ambidexterity, Choose 3 more Advantages 3, Choose 2 tradeoffs 2, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 3, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Quick Draw, Taunt

Skills
    Acrobatics 10 (+16), Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat: Super-Shield 6 (+13), Deception 10 (+11), Expertise: ???? 6 (+6), Expertise: Weapons 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Persuasion 10 (+11), Ranged Combat: Super-Shield 8 (+14), Stealth 6 (+12), Technology 6 (+6)

Powers

Super-Shield (Easily Removable)
    . . Blocking: Deflect 13
    . . Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 20; Penetrating 5)
    . . Shield Throw: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 20; Increased Range: ranged [3 extra ranks], Multiattack [3 extra ranks])

Super-Soldier
    . . Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Fortitude +2 (+10))
    . . Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)
    . . Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Grab, +7 (DC Spec 13)
    Shield Bash: Strength-based Damage 2, +13 (DC 20)
    Shield Throw: Strength-based Damage 2, +14 (DC 20)
    Throw, +6 (DC 18)
    Unarmed, +7 (DC 18)

Defense
    Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 10/8, Toughness 6/3, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 56 + Powers 15 + Advantages 13 + Skills 40 (80 ranks) + Defenses 26 = 150

- This one has a higher Acro than almost any of the others, so I'm tempted to use those extra Advantages for Agile Feint and/or Skill Mastery: Acrobatics.

- There's a few ways I could go with the shield. On one hand, I could use my Mjollnir build with a few tweaks and maybe make it Removable or even a non-Device. On the other, this one is a weaponsmith, so they should have made it themselves, and I might draw some inspiration from this guy.
    Last edited by JDRook; 04-24-2017 at 12:29 AM.

I'm really digging the Mjolnir build you made. It's one of the things I tried to do with my character Mace, except that the power of its movement and return all came from the character himself.

And once more, the old whirlwind twirl really can duplicate the Deflection effect.

Nice.
    Just call me Doug.

Twenty

Archetype: Weather Controller
    A subset of the Energy Controller but with enough interesting Descriptors to make it a distinct archetype. Marvel's Storm and Thor are the only major heroes I can think of offhand; there are a few DC heroes, but I think weather villains might actually get more attention. Weather and similar natural disasters can be challenges by themselves, threatening whole cities of innocents; putting a face on them can make for a more interesting story.

Abilities: Technological
    The 3 options are basically Magic, Psychic or Tech. Tech has the highest INT and FGT, but the lowest STA, AWE, and PRE. I would usually expect this of the "mad scientist" with a weather machine.

Advantages: Standard, Sovereign + 1 choice
    Tech and royalty immediately brings Black Panther to mind. It also indirectly implies a foreign country, since there's no actual royalty in North America, although you could translate that to a particularly rich and powerful family or corporation.

Skills: Standard, Spirited
    Most of the other options focus on INT-, AWE- and PRE-based skills. This one is more like the Warrior and Weapon Master before, with Acro Ath and Intimidation.

Offensive Powers:Weather Control Array w/ Wind Screen + 4AE
    Wind Screen brings up an ongoing issue. Deflect in its description doesn't specifically forbid using Area, but does state to use Enhanced Dodge/Parry with Area modifiers to create a "deflection field". This is hidden in the Extras section under Action. It really feels like there should be another section marked Area, leaving that one opening sentence after Action. The fact that Deflect w/Area is used twice in the Powre Profiles (and twice in the QCG - both Wind Screens) makes this problematic.

Defensve Powers I: Weather-Proof
    Defensve Powers II: Wind Shield
    Movement Powers: Wind Riding
    As you can see, most of the powers are based on wind, likely because the options are listed alphabetically and this is number 20! I could just make all of the powers wind-based, essentially an Air Controller, and not bother with cold or electricity or other descriptors.

It should also be noted that these are all assumed Technological, but not considered Devices by default. The tech could be integrated into the PC's body as cybernetics (subtle or overt) or you could go in the opposite direction and make them unreachable tech, like orbital satellites that respond to the PC's control.

20 Weather Controller - PL 9

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
    Benefit, Status: Choose Status, Choose 2 Advantages 2, Connected, Defensive Roll 3

Skills
    Acrobatics 8 (+11), Athletics 8 (+9), Expertise: ???? 8 (+12), Intimidation 8 (+9)

Powers

Weather Control
    . . Wind Screen: Cylinder Area Deflect 10 ([0 active, 0/30 PP, 3/r]; Cylinder Area 3: 120 feet cylinder, DC 20; Limited: to Attacks Targeting Dodge)
    Plus 4 Dynamic AEs: Feature 8
    Weather-Proof: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Weather Effects)
    Wind Riding: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
    Wind Shield: Enhanced Trait 16 (Traits: Dodge +8 (+13), Parry +8 (+13); Sustained)

Offense
    Initiative +3
    Grab, +5 (DC Spec 11)
    Throw, +2 (DC 16)
    Unarmed, +5 (DC 16)

Defense
    Dodge 13/5, Parry 13/5, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/2, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 40 + Powers 75 + Advantages 7 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 150

Quote Originally Posted by Power-Glove View Post
    I'm really digging the Mjolnir build you made. It's one of the things I tried to do with my character Mace, except that the power of its movement and return all came from the character himself.
    I am pretty proud of it. Feel free to use it yourself. I usually use a target Ranged Damage rank + Indirect 4 (the "Returning Hammer") as the base cost and figure out how big to make the close and thrown attacks from that. I see you used STR-based and Ranged, which is legit but I tend to avoid it unless the concept really calls for it.

The Returning Hammer is basically the weapon flying around under the PC's control, so it does still need a Standard Action to attack. An interesting replacement for it is to just add Homing to the Thrown version and it will attack the following turn if it misses, requiring only a Free Action. So your PC could throw, and on a miss, move to another position and Defend or even attack again while waiting for the Homing attack to come back. It can only keep trying to hit the same target, though, while the Returning Hammer can be any target the PC can detect. You could also have both, although Homing on Returning could get complicated; I'd recommend one or the other, and technically you'd need to keep that array slot open to use the Free Action.

And once more, the old whirlwind twirl really can duplicate the Deflection effect.
    That is a good addition. Deflect flawed to Close is ridiculously cheap, often allowing a PC to hit PL caps with it with points to spare in an array, so putting some Reach or even Reflect is always a nice option if it fits concept. Thor-style PCs could probably drop Close and still knock away attacks on allies.

I basically went a little different. I was going to borrow Thorp's take on "Tornado" (burst area affliction) for that... just take a look on my thread. I just made a cheap Strength Based +3 Damage Hammer, Easily removable to provide the basis for the other stunts and quirks, and put the Thor stunts into the "generating powersource" - a Move Object Based Array.
    Just call me Doug.

Re: The Sound of My Eyebeams: Phantom Jenny

So I thought I'd get my QCG Paragon out to try in SilvercatMoonpaw's game, since it was mostly made and might be fun for a quick test drive. I had started off thinking I could make the build more fun with a little more complexity, so I took some of the points from STR and Flight and built a Dynamic Array so I could make it really strong (but within PL) and really fast, but not at the same time. I threw in some Power-Lifting and Impervious just to have a few more options, and it looked pretty good. It could max out at STR 12 OR Lift at STR 18 OR fly at Flight 12 (great bonus for Agile Feint) OR be Impervious 12 (although that went over the houseruled limit).

Then to figure out the concept. I kept coming back to Redirect and Agile Feint with Flight and thought of the old barmstormers. I thought it would be cool if this very Superman-y build was actually a farmer with an old biplane in his barn he used for crop dusting. From that he develops a taste for flight and even does a few tricks but never goes so far as to pursue it, keeping it as a hobby until that day like no other, etc. Working name was Barnstormer. (FTR: I almost never like my character's names, or at least I don't them as much as the character would. Getting "named by the public" is always much more interesting.)

I decided to do a little research on barnstorming, and found out about this lady here:

The history was fascinating enough to me that I decided to base my PC on her. If it ever comes up, she was born exactly 100 years after Bessie Coleman was born, and there might be concerns that she'll also die before she's 35 in a plane crash. If the game is taking place roughly today, she's 25 now.

So now that I"d latched on to this concept, I really wanted to tie in the concept of "The Jenny," which was the nickname for the most common biplane of the time. I wanted the plane to be part of the power, but I didn't want all the hassle of dealing with the plane itself. Then I realized I didn't have to; Descriptors to the rescue! If a character like, say, Vixen, can briefly flash the glowing silhouette of an animal and manifest its powers, why not do the same with a vehicle? I came up with the idea of having Jenica's Flight actually look like she's flying a JN-4 aircraft: it's basically completely ghostlike and glowing slightly. Jenica is in the pilot's seat when it appears, in a sitting position which isn't obvious since the fuselage obscures her body. It's kind of like Wonder Woman's invisible jet, only translucent and not at all solid. This can largely be handled by Descriptors, but I also thought it might be fun to get use out of the passenger seat, which I cover with a handful of Features.

The weird thing is once I settled on this, I decided I didn't want the Dynamic Array anymore. I dropped Flight back to 8, which for this game was even slower due to houserules but still faster than a real Jenny. I also lost the (2e-style) Impervious, but figured the original construction of those planes probably wasn't very bulletproof anyway. I turned my Expertise into a DEX-based Barnstorming skill and talked the GM into letting me use it for Agile Feint. I even came up with a bunch of little details that were best left as 4 ranks of Features, which was about what I had left after buying what Skills I figured appropriate for a self-made pilot.

Her alter ego name, Jenica Jenkins, is actually made up of from the names of two friends of mine who happen to be black and native respectively; the fact that it came out not only alliterative but has that "Jen-Jen" thing is a fascinating coincidence. "Phantom Jenny" is what the plane around her looks like, but it also makes sense this would be her superhero name, especially if anyone who can identify the model also happens to be press (or at least a well-placed blogger.)

Phantom Jenny
    - PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 8, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
    Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Favored Environment: Aerial, Luck 2, Redirect

Skills
    Expertise (DEX): Barnstorming 8 (+12), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 8 (+10), Ranged Combat: Throw 4 (+8), Technology 4 (+5), Treatment 4 (+5), Vehicles 4 (+8)

Powers
    "Phantom Jenny": Feature 4 (Notes: In flight, the phantom plane has a few effects: the translucent fuselage provides a -2 concealment bonus, the front "passenger seat" allows carrying one person without requiring hands, and any attacks on the passenger are blocked like a use of Interpose.) - 4p
    Enhanced Senses: Senses 6 (Extended: Auditory 2: x100, Extended: Vision 2: x100, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Ultra-hearing) - 6p
    Immunity 10 (Life Support) - 10p
    "Fuselage": Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
    Stunt-Flyer: Flight 8 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round, Advantages: Agile Feint, Notes: Can Feint or Trick using Barnstorming Skill )

Offense
    Initiative +4
    Grab, +8 (DC Spec 22)
    Throw, +8 (DC 27)
    Unarmed, +8 (DC 27)

Complications
    Motivation: Doing Good
    Motivation: Thrills

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 82 + Powers 41 + Advantages 5 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 160

Jenica Jenkins had grown up on a small farm outside of Jacksonville, Florida. She had taken to flying early on when she'd seen a neighbouring farm using an old biplane for crop-dusting, and her parents told her the story of her thrice-great aunt Bessie Coleman, one of the first American women aviators. Through hard study and taking odd jobs she saved up for her own plane, a Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" like her aunt's, and learned to fly and maintain it like a pro. By the time she was 23, she'd become established as one of the best stunt flyers around.

Then came that fateful day, during the Silver City Air show . . .
    _____