Thread: Making the most of Affliction and high Prowess

Inceptor

Making the most of Affliction and high Prowess

Hey guys, I'd like to pick your brains if that's OK.

So our GM had us roll up random characters, and I ended up Trained origin, and just Affliction as my power.

I also ended up with Prowess 8.

So I have no problem hitting with Affliction, but I feel like my high Prowess is criminally underutilized. I often get multiple degrees of success on attacks, but because it's Affliction rather than say Strike or a punch, there's no knockback or stun. My huge degrees of success seem totally wasted ATM.

Is there anyway I can make my character so I can clobber them good with degrees of success AND inflict Affliction on them?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Re: Making the most of Affliction and high Prowess

Affliction is powerful in that in bypasses Damage Resistance. You can target the seemingly invulnerable types and take them out, which is the end result of a Stun test. If you want to send people flying, you'd need to chain an additional effect (power) to your attack. Your GM might let you add it as an Achievement.

So, since a Limit could directly "pay" for an Extra, you could add an Extra like Strike (if you want to do even more damage) or specifically a Slam-inducing effect like Air Ram (from Spinning) and balance it with a Limit, say, Degrades.

Affliction 8
    Extra: Secondary Effect (Air Ram); Limit: Degrades

You'd roll up your Affliction, then you'd test your Air Ram effect vs the target's STR for a Slam. Each page your Air Ram rank would decrease by 1 (starting at your Affliction rank of 8).

Of course whatever power you add should make sense for your character concept. Someone with Training, high Prowess, and Affliction could sound like a Chi warrior (the Affliction is a spirit punch, which is why it ignores DR). It would make sense for it to not send people flying. It's an effective power! Just be glad you didn't roll up the dreaded Dream Control!
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by badpenny View Post
    Affliction is powerful in that in bypasses Damage Resistance. You can target the seemingly invulnerable types and take them out, which is the end result of a Stun test. If you want to send people flying, you'd need to chain an additional effect (power) to your attack. Your GM might let you add it as an Achievement.

So, since a Limit could directly "pay" for an Extra, you could add an Extra like Strike (if you want to do even more damage) or specifically a Slam-inducing effect like Air Ram (from Spinning) and balance it with a Limit, say, Degrades.

Affliction 8
    Extra: Secondary Effect (Air Ram); Limit: Degrades

You'd roll up your Affliction, then you'd test your Air Ram effect vs the target's STR for a Slam. Each page your Air Ram rank would decrease by 1 (starting at your Affliction rank of 8).

Of course whatever power you add should make sense for your character concept. Someone with Training, high Prowess, and Affliction could sound like a Chi warrior (the Affliction is a spirit punch, which is why it ignores DR). It would make sense for it to not send people flying. It's an effective power! Just be glad you didn't roll up the dreaded Dream Control!
    Thank you for the reply.

The Affliction is built in to a suit (not a mech suit, just a costume with knock out poison reservoirs). I was thinking of linking Strike to be reinforced gauntlets and boots for hitting people, which also apply the poison.

As I said, it really just comes down to constantly getting degrees of success on my Prowess attacks that do nothing because I'm using Affliction.

You can stunt the Strike when you need it, either by paying a DP or using a Maneuver. If you guys are going with an ongoing campaign, as an Achievement, you can add it as a Mastered Stunt.

Aside from inflicting a Slam by adding Strike (and, of course, doing even more Stamina damage), you could always use a Maneuver with your high Prowess so you don't feel like it's being wasted. Maneuvers are often overlooked, but can really set up the bad guys for a big take down. Plus, you can use Maneuvers to perform Stunts, thus saving your DP.
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by badpenny View Post
    You can stunt the Strike when you need it, either by paying a DP or using a Maneuver. If you guys are going with an ongoing campaign, as an Achievement, you can add it as a Mastered Stunt.

Aside from inflicting a Slam by adding Strike (and, of course, doing even more Stamina damage), you could always use a Maneuver with your high Prowess so you don't feel like it's being wasted. Maneuvers are often overlooked, but can really set up the bad guys for a big take down. Plus, you can use Maneuvers to perform Stunts, thus saving your DP.
    Thank you, you've given me several things to consider. Pointing me to maneuvers, and the Multiple Targets maneuver specifically, was worth the price of admittance alone