Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portal Shaping

Defender of the Word

Portal Shaping

Hi all. I got this idea for a hero called Meta Man, and he uses portals. So I have this idea that I don't know how to put into description lingo. So bare with me, I'm gonna try and explain it and maybe you tell me how to break it down on the character sheet.

-Making different shapes with portals, like spheres, cubes, triangles, as well as abstract shapes.
    -The portals size can be increased and decreased.
    -Portals can be telekinetically moved at any time.
    -The inside layer of the portal connects to the opposite side of the inside layer, and same with the outside layer, but also it is not restricted to where it connects, such as to another location.
    -Portals can also lead to size-shifting scales, from microscopic to 100 feet gigantic (like Ant-Man, but with portals.)

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Portal Shaping

A lot of it depends on what you want to do in mechanical game terms. For instance, if part of the portal moving involves slapping it right where the enemy is going to be, that's going to be an Alternate Effect, namely a Ranged Burst Area Teleport Attack, most likely.

Ironically, talking about the cool way the power works in the game universe is mainly descriptor. As Snarf points out, the actual mechanics are what powers are made of; that's what the term "effects-based" means, and it's kinda central to making powers in M&M: Effects wrapped in Descriptors.

The Effects go into what the power actually does in in the setting: Does it inflict damage or other conditions? Does it move things around or change appearances? etc. If you could describe 3-5 concrete examples of things you imagine Meta Man actually doing with this power if it was in a comic/movie/game that would help immensely. Your current description is mostly abstract, so I'm not sure how the power might affect allies/opponents/the environment/etc outside of moving them around and possibly growing or shrinking them. Describe a scene. Tell a story.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Defender of the Word

Ah, okay. I think I understand what you guys are saying. So the way I was imagining it in my head was that I would make these portal spheres and trap enemies in them, and I could move the portals telekinetically. If they physically decided to stay still, then they would move anyway because the opposite ends of the inside layer connect to each other. And I could move them through walls, because the outside layer also connects to the opposite sides. I also thought of making the portal shapes into a translucent body armour, so enemies could shoot right through me. They couldn't x-ray or mind read me, because the target they are trying to reach would be the space behind me.

I could also create portals to take enemies to the subatomic scale, as well as shoot a gun through a gigantic scale portal to have it turn into a gigantic bullet.

Keeper of Secrets

Wow. That's... ambitious. It looks like a Ranged Burst Area Affliction linked to a Ranged Move Object (limited to Afflicted) linked to an Affects Others Insubstanial.

These seem potentially really complex. Powerful and difficult to overcome and expensive. Let's see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
    . . . the way I was imagining it in my head was that I would make these portal spheres and trap enemies in them, and I could move the portals telekinetically. If they physically decided to stay still, then they would move anyway because the opposite ends of the inside layer connect to each other. And I could move them through walls, because the outside layer also connects to the opposite sides.
    The basic level of this could be a Perception Range Move Object, which Grabs a target and can then move it around; the "portal wrap" is just the descriptor. Generally breaking out of a Grab requires STR or possibly an appropriate Damage effect, but to simulate this Mobius Trap effect that shouldn't work, so I'd recommend a +1 Alternate Resistance Extra for some other way to resist or otherwise escape (ie. Dodge Resistance to resist and/or some kind of Space-warping powers to overcome). If it's essentially inescapable (save by Complication), that would be a +2 Extra, but I wouldn't recommend that. The ability to pass the target through things could be a Linked Permeate 3 with Affect Others Only for 6p.

You could also use the Create Effect as the base, using the Trapping rules associated with that, and the Movable Extra to move the target around. Same issue with Alternate Resistance for breakouts and Linked Permeate. This also means there's a layer of Toughness surrounding the target, so they are somewhat protected, although since the portal wrap presumably can't be hit with most attacks, this may not be appropriate for concept.

EDIT: Snarf's suggestion of an Area Affliction is interesting as well, presumably with Immobile somewhere in it to represent that wraparound effect.

I also thought of making the portal shapes into a translucent body armour, so enemies could shoot right through me.
    The simplest way to do this is with Insubstantial 4, which would also allow you to pass through walls and such. However . . .

They couldn't x-ray or mind read me, because the target they are trying to reach would be the space behind me.
    This is a trick often used by illusionist-style characters, usually with Concealment. Rank 10 Concealment covers all senses, but may have a modifier based on whether they can be detected at all, or possibly a linked Illusion if they can essentially created decoy images of themselves.

I could also create portals to take enemies to the subatomic scale, as well as shoot a gun through a gigantic scale portal to have it turn into a gigantic bullet.
    Shrinking targets could literally be Shrinking as an Attack, but I'm not a fan of Shrinking in most cases. A rough equivalent that makes a better attack could be a Broad Weaken that drains STR, Speed, Intimidation and probably ranks from powers and weapons. It would need to be Sustained or Continuous to keep it from wearing off, and again some kind of Alternate Resistance. Going completely subatomic is essentially like moving them to another dimension. This can be a Dimensional Movement Attack, but I prefer to use an Affliction, 3rd Degree only, Alternate Dodge for balance purposes.

Making a standard bullet instantly gigantic could simply be a high rank Ranged Damage attack, or possibly a Line Area Attack.

Overall, it's cool but it seems tricky to resolve and potentially way too costly to make work.
    Last edited by JDRook; 02-16-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    My old Atomic Think Tank thread
    My current character thread: The Sound of my Eyebeams

I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me your finished design or even your original concept!

Keeper of Secrets

Power Profiles make Shrinking attacks an Affliction. Since this is a portal, however, I'd just do this as Super Movement Dimensional Attack with the Microverse descriptor.

Defender of the Word

Oh cool, okay, Ranged Burst Area Affliction linked to a Ranged Move Object (limited to Afflicted). That's awesome.

For the shaping of the portals, and body armour, could I not put:

Feature (Make hollow 3D shapes out of portals)
    Feature (The inside and outside portal layers connect to opposite ends)
    Reaction (Limited to body armour - moving with my body)

And do I have to put the Insubstantial and Concealment effects in, wouldn't the portals act like portals even as shapes and body armour?

Defender of the Word

Btw Snarf, I didn't notice your last post there..That is a good point, thank you. Super Movement makes a lot more sense.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
    Oh cool, okay, Ranged Burst Area Affliction linked to a Ranged Move Object (limited to Afflicted). That's awesome.

For the shaping of the portals, and body armour, could I not put:

Feature (Make hollow 3D shapes out of portals)
    Feature (The inside and outside portal layers connect to opposite ends)
    Reaction (Limited to body armour - moving with my body)

And do I have to put the Insubstantial and Concealment effects in, wouldn't the portals act like portals even as shapes and body armour?
    Mmmm... In this case, the portals are just a descriptor for either a high Parry, Dodge, or Toughness. Now, some GMs MAY allow it as Concealment or Insubstantial, others might see it as a bit of a cheat to get around PL defense limits. And remember, most Insubstantial requires SOME weakness to get through.