Thread: Emerald City Setting/Adventure idea: Supernatural Waste Dump

Emerald City Setting/Adventure idea: Supernatural Waste Dump

I'm running a game set in Emerald City (post-Emerald City Knights campaign). I'm building an adventure (and possibly more) around this idea:

Supernatural Waste Dump.

In the setting canon, the Pacific rim was an ancient area of influence of the empire of the Serpent People, Lemuria. But imagine that, given the propensity for the Serpent People to dabble in supernatural power. What is their society needed is something akin to our Yucca Mountain nuclear waste storage facility, a site designed to store radioactive waste for thousands of years. A considerable amount of thought has went into preparing the Yucca Mountain facility with warning markers that would still be recognized thousands of years from now, which is a somewhat challenging exercise.

I'm hoping to use this new setting element to:
    1) Introduce the players to the Cryptid Clans, who might be the first to come in contact with it, and might have magical experts who the heroes have to relate with in order to get the answers they need to grapple with the problem.
    2) Be a source for supernatural plots. I initially just needed some powerful demon to have a history with the heroes for another plot, but I could see this become a "plot generator", much akin to the Idol Head in early Martian Manhunter stories.

What I'm interested in hearing from the humble readers is:
    1) Any adventure ideas you might have related to this, and
    2) Ideas for what sorts of supernatural "warning markers" the Serpent Empire might have put up that might have seemed reasonable warning for them, but over the millennia might become a puzzle or challenge for the heroes to deal with.

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Emerald City Setting/Adventure idea: Supernatural Waste Dump

Well, for starters, if it was made by the Serpent People, then Coral Snake and the rest of Trident (see Threat Reports) are going to be very interested in getting whatever is down there. Other villains who might make a play include Arcanix, Dracula, Abracadaver, or Hexenhammer (who'd actually want to destroy it and unwittingly cause a massive disaster).

As far as warning signs and puzzles, that's something to think about, but remember, the two most likely spots for this dump are under the water or in Sub-Terra, neither of which is a quick jaunt on the bus, so getting there in the first place can be a puzzle in and of itself.

Re: Emerald City Setting/Adventure idea: Supernatural Waste Dump

Quote Originally Posted by King Snarf View Post
    Well, for starters, if it was made by the Serpent People, then Coral Snake and the rest of Trident (see Threat Reports) are going to be very interested in getting whatever is down there. Other villains who might make a play include Arcanix, Dracula, Abracadaver, or Hexenhammer (who'd actually want to destroy it and unwittingly cause a massive disaster).

As far as warning signs and puzzles, that's something to think about, but remember, the two most likely spots for this dump are under the water or in Sub-Terra, neither of which is a quick jaunt on the bus, so getting there in the first place can be a puzzle in and of itself.
    Arcanix is one of a few villains in TR that I have really taken a shine to and stands to become a long-term villain. I plan on having Arcanix crossing paths with all the other supernatural elements/NPCs in the game as he slowly works toward his end-game.

I already ran my first session of this, and basically placed the first such "site" in the Elysian Forest in the heart of the stomping grounds of the Cryptid clans. A swarm of chaos-elemental-insects were unleashed by some Cryptid clan youth who were too young and foolish to heed the warning signs. The demonic essence within captured one of the Cryptid youths and was using him to chip away at the safeguards that contained it. The heroes had to deal with a swarm of what amounts to invisible fast-acting termites that eat anything, and trace them back to the waste site, where they met with a Cryptid elder who would provide more information on the situation.

This singular site may be one of a larger complex that can include sites that are now off the coast or in other places. But I do like the idea of the whole complex/campus being in the general region of Emerald City.

Hexenhammer is not a TR character I considered strongly before, but I like the idea of him being a random element that makes things worse by not leaving well enough alone.