Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My turn on House-Rules

Keeper of Secrets

Re: My turn on House-Rules

A few quick comments:

A DP isn't worth 50XP, it's 30 tops since the book indicates that they should be handed out at story goal completion and stuff, also reflecting the juice you generally get out of them compared to investing XP into abilities/specialties. That really skewers the character generation math of yours. I'd personally make old characters with some regularity in this system if I was min/maxing and did not prefer to play younger fellows.

Communities and banner houses being keyed off separate stats can potentially throw balance out of whack so I'd be really careful with that, communities in particular if you use out of strife.
    Last edited by Zorbeltuss; 04-25-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Inceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbeltuss View Post
    A DP isn't worth 50XP, it's 30 tops since the book indicates that they should be handed out at story goal completion and stuff, also reflecting the juice you generally get out of them compared to investing XP into abilities/specialties. That really skewers the character generation math of yours. I'd personally make old characters with some regularity in this system if I was min/maxing and did not prefer to play younger fellows.
    De facto a DP is worth 50 XP because that's what you get for being one step older, which costs you 1 DP. Also it is 50 XP to buy a DP later.
    The fact that they're to be handed out as a story reward doesn't change this, because everyone receives the same amount of DP after a story (at least that's how it should be cause of balance).
    It's a fact, and I elaborated why, that starting as an older character is a severe disadvantage on a mathematical level.

Keeper of Secrets

Why I am against highly different rewards during a story, I would say it would not be fair to give the same amount of XP to every char. In some stories some chars and players could shine more than others or take a greater risk or so, and that should be (in a moderate way) rewarded.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Tubalkain View Post
    De facto a DP is worth 50 XP because that's what you get for being one step older, which costs you 1 DP. Also it is 50 XP to buy a DP later.
    The fact that they're to be handed out as a story reward doesn't change this, because everyone receives the same amount of DP after a story (at least that's how it should be cause of balance).
    It's a fact, and I elaborated why, that starting as an older character is a severe disadvantage on a mathematical level.
    I'm going to have to disagree with pretty much each of these statements.

Those 50 XP that you get for being older is worth more than that extra DP at creation, at least up to old age, things gets a little fuzzy when starting out with 3 benefits starts to require loads of drawbacks.
    It's 50 XP to buy DP later, sure. Nobody who plays this game by the book is going to do that though, on account of PC's gaining 25-30XP between each new DP gained, if you play as assumed by the book. This by itself tends to make you be willing to translate those DP into 30XP if the option was offered.

Hence, your maths suffer from the wrong input.

Inceptor

Those 50 XP that you get for being older is worth more than that extra DP at creation, at least up to old age, things gets a little fuzzy when starting out with 3 benefits starts to require loads of drawbacks.
    I know what you mean, as DP are easier to gain later than XP. But still, strictly mathematically, you gain 50 XP and lose a DP (if we ignore the shitty additional Drawback) if your character is one step older.
    So what I'm saying is mathematically true.

I'm going to have to disagree with pretty much each of these statements.
    It's 50 XP to buy DP later, sure. Nobody who plays this game by the book is going to do that though, on account of PC's gaining 25-30XP between each new DP gained, if you play as assumed by the book. This by itself tends to make you be willing to translate those DP into 30XP if the option was offered.
    This is also true, nobody would really buy a DP for 50 XP as those EP are worth much more than a single DP. But, remember this is about mathematics, it is still 50 XP to buy a DP by the book.

So my maths is actually true all the way, even though you don't like it
    If you have a better solution, as the system is clearly imbalanced, don't hesitate to present it here

Keeper of Secrets

I find that characters tends to come out fairly balanced, no change needed (and no ignoring forced drawbacks), though that's as far as comparing age groups goes. At least in the young adult through old, it gets weird once you make a character younger or older. If anything, older characters are more capable, which suggests to me that for the purposes of balancing, DP should be given a lower evaluation than 50XP (I'd say 25XP for each starting DP, -25XP for each forced drawback). This assuming that story rewards are handed out as the book suggest they should be. In an environment where the narrator doesn't award DP and they must be purchased through XP, a higher valuation should be attached, as might an environment where they refresh more often or one where burning DP occurs with some frequency.

My own take on it, which I plan to do a test run for looks like this:

Apprentice: 210 Ability XP, 80 Specialty XP, 6 Destiny Points, 0 forced Drawbacks, maximum of 3 benefits, maximum of 5 unspent destiny points.
    Journeyman: 240 Ability XP, 110 Specialty XP, 5 Destiny Points, 1 forced Drawback, maximum of 4 benefits, maximum of 2 unspent destiny points.
    Master: 270 Ability XP, 140 Specialty XP, 4 Destiny Points, 2 forced Drawbacks, maximum of 5 benefits, maximum of 1 unspent destiny points.

Inceptor

That's actually an alternative System I like very much!
    Let me just try to reverse-engineer your maths:

Apprentice: 210+80 = 290, +6 DP (= 300 XP by the book) = 590 total
    Journeyman: 240+110 = 350, +5 DP (= 250) = 600 total; 1 forced Drawback would be 10 XP
    Master: 270+140 = 410, +4 DP (= 200) = 610 total; 2 forced Drawbacks being 20 XP

I would say that's a bit low, if it wasn't for your extra rules on DP (more than Age table) and Benefits/Drawbacks, which prevent you from maximizing your Benefits/Drawbacks anyways, as you can't take maximum Drawbacks with maximum Benefits because of DP Cap.
    Also, your System would explain certain over the top characters from the Campaign Guide (not a 480 Ability XP Jaime Lannister though :'D) who are Masters of their Trade while still relatively young.
    Last but not least I like the option to take more Benefits right from the start to build a Master-level Character who does not rely on Luck (read: Destiny Points) but purely on his Abilities (compare Jaime: Master Swordsman but always getting in trouble).

If you agree I'd like to add your System to my initial Post (of cause I will give credit to you!) as an alternative to the Age-based system of the rulebook.

Keeper of Secrets

Knock yourself out.

As a narrator, I reserve the right to give NPC's whatever stats I please, and since the designations are inspired from medievial guild hierarchies, it should be noted that master is a title, it requires a fair amount of ability and training to get there, but consider Mikken, who as being the smith at Winterfell certainly ought to qualify as a master smith, and he gets to put his mark on his work. And then there's Tobho Mott who knows the secret of reforging Valyrian Steel. There should be hundreds of characters in Westeros that can be a match for a PC, at least if I am narrating. But there's only a handful of characters that will present a challenge to someone like Jaime in a fair swordfight.

You'll probably get more capable characters through those numbers than by using the books, though I like to use scaling XP costs, so that rank 5+ is more expensive (50 rather than 30) and disallow lowering a stat to 1 for more XP. So it should even out somewhat.

Inceptor

/updated