Thread: Houserule for Fire!

Inceptor

Houserule for Fire!

Thought I'd share this here to get some feed back. This was partially to make fire work more like poisons in the fact that its an environmental attack against the character's passive endurance (as hinted at with the Blood of Valyria), allows for some more complicated things depending on exposure and intensity of the fire, and also so it can be manipulated with some pyromancy. (The game we're playing in is set 826 years before conquest, and I thought it'd be fun to do up some of the Valyrian Pyromancies).

Depending on the intensity and exposure of a fire, the attack will have different dice and deal different base damage. Attack dice from fire is checked against an opponent’s passive endurance; victims in metal armor add their armor penalty as a penalty to their passive endurance as well, as the metal heats from the fire’s touch. Needless to say, armor does not protect you from flames unless it is fire treated.

The difficulty to catch on fire also depends on the initial exposure to the flame. If the test is failed, the character is lit on fire, and continues to be attacked by the fire (with the same exposure and base damage) at the start of his next turn. He can try another agility test to put himself out as a lesser action; success reduces the intensity of the flame by one per degree, while failure means that the character’s exposure (and thus difficulty to put himself out) increases by one step. When the flame’s base damage/intensity is reduced to zero, the character is no longer on fire.

Exposure Attack Dice* Catch on DC Intensity Base Damage
    Touch 1d6 Easy (3) Candle 1
    Hand 2d6 Routine (6) Torch 2
    Limb 3d6 Challenging (9) Campfire 3
    Partial Body 4d6 Formidable (12) Bonfire 4
    Full Body 5d6 Hard (15) Inferno 5

*Every round after the first that a character remains in contact with fire the attack dice increases by 1d6.

Torches as Weapons
    When using torches and other flame bearing objects as a weapon, make a fighting test in place of the fire’s normal attack dice, and checks for success against his target’s combat defense or passive endurance against flames (whichever is higher). Its base damage is equal to the intensity of the flame in the torch, and is multiplied by degrees of success as normal.

Wildfire
    Wildfire has an intensity equal to an inferno, and deals five base damage.

Fire Arrows
    Covering arrows in treated cloth and then lighting such cloth on fire makes the arrows considerably heavier and less accurate (-1D to Marksmanship tests) but anyone hit by the fire arrow is attacked by the flames in addition to the arrow (typically a 2d6 attack roll against the opponent’s passive endurance against fire with a base damage of 2). Objects and/or people must roll to not catch on fire, as normal.

Fire Arrows on the Unit Scale
    Equipping an archer unit with the capacity for fire arrows requires the expenditure of wealth per unit. They require an advanced order (Discipline +6 to command) to prepare an arrow between each volley. Fire arrow attacks have -1D, but deal two fire damage (ignoring AR) on top of their arrow hit. Fire Arrows have a risk of catching buildings and fields on fire, depending on conditions.

Alternatively, if an archer unit has fire arrows prepared and is given the Suppressing Fire order, the attack does not take the -1D, and the difficulty imposed to warfare tests on the unit is increased by +6, rather than +3. The difficulty is increased by another +1 per degree of success, and the unit takes the 2 fire damage if the archer unit gets two degrees of success or higher. Like normal attacks by fire arrows, buildings, units, and other flammable areas could be set alight by the fire arrows.

Example
    A Good Ser Hedge Knight with 4 endurance, 4 agility, and brigandine armor is fighting around a bonfire against some bandits. He gets knocked to the ground, and unfortunately for him, his arm falls into the bonfire. In the base rules, he'll take 2d6 damage regardless of if he fell into it entirely or just grazed it without narrator invoking rule 0. He'd also have to pass a DC 12 agility check to not catch on fire.

Now, with these rules, the fire (narrator) would roll 3d6 attack dice against the knight's 12 passive endurance against fire (16 base passive endurance, minus four for the armor check penalty of his armor). He's very likely to avoid taking damage from the fire, but also has the risk of the dice coming up unlucky and him taking 8 fire damage instead of just 4 (and more than likely coming with an injury in the form of light burns). He also only needs to make a DC 9 agility test to avoid the fire catching onto his armor, difficult with the -4 from brigandine, but possible with his 3 agility.

If he's unlucky with his test to avoid catching on fire, or his arm gets forced to stay in the flames by the opportunistic brigands, he'll have to continue dealing with fire, and the attack rolls would steadily ramp up the longer he's exposed.

Starting and Spreading Fires
    The above rules function for the risk of players catching on fire from their exposure to fire, but to represent fire spreading (and starting your own fires) should use the following rules.

The difficulty to start a fire, or for fire to spread, depends on what is being set ablaze. For a character to start a fire, it typically requires a Survival check if using a flint and tinder tool. When an existing flame that’s spreading, the roll against the difficulty depends on the strength of the flame (rolling a number of test dice equal to the base damage of the fire); deliberately using flames to spread fire gives a bonus dice to such tests (such as trying to light a torch with another torch). On the character scale, make a roll for every six seconds that pass. On the Warfare scale (when appropriate) make a test on the unit scale.

Difficulty Substance
    (0) Automatic Wildfire
    (3) Easy Fat, Oil
    (6) Routine Charcoal, Dried Grass, Oil Soaked Cloth, Sawdust
    (9) Challenging Cloth, Untreated Wood, Wet Grass
    (12) Formidable Damp cloth and wood, Furs, Lacquered Wood
    (15) Hard Damp Lacquered Wood or Furs, Soaked cloth or wood
    (18) Very Hard Soaked Furs
    (21) Heroic Asbestos cloth
    Last edited by Amoren; 02-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Defender of the Word Ser Daerin's Avatar

Re: Houserule for Fire!

These rules are pretty awesome. I'll definitely save these for use for my own games (now I just need to set some PCs on fire to test them out). Thanks for sharing!

Inceptor

Re: Houserule for Fire!

Let me know how it goes. :P

I've also added something I forgot to put down first, Fire Arrows is a massive buff for Suppressing Fire orders if used for such; considering that was much of the point of them in history from what my partner and I can gather.
    Last edited by Amoren; 02-05-2017 at 03:07 AM.