Thread: Using Battlemaps

Using Battlemaps

Alrighty, so my players were thinking about going with battlemaps for FAGE. i like the concept since it allows for a better visual representation of what you want to achieve.

Now, i have left over Heroscape Tiles and Figures from a long time ago and i have the first set of the "Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers". Since i like the way you can build your own environments around those tiles, i was thinking about using them, since you could just take it down and put a new one up fairly quickly.

Since it is described in the core rules that hexes have a 2 yard area, you basically divide your current speed in half to get the number of tiles you can move in a turn.

i do have a question for those who know what i am talking about...

How would you handle changes in elevation? this is represented as one tile being on top of another to create a 3d environment. in the Heroscape/MtGAotPw, it costs one move rank per level you wish to go, but you cannot go higher than your figures height (Which is fair). The elevation is not nearly 2 yards (6 feet) of height, so maybe each elevation costs 1/2 a move rank? or maybe moving to a new elevation stops your movement altogether? anyway, any sort of advice or ideas would be very helpful. thanks.
    There is no Dark Side nor a Light Side;
    There is only the Force.
    I will do what I must to keep balance;
    The Balance is what keeps me together.
    There is no Good without Evil;
    But Evil must be allowed to Flourish.
    There is no Peace without Passion to protect it;
    Serenity without Emotion is meaningless.
    There in no Order without Chaos.
    I wield the torch to light the way;
    I am a Guardian of Balance;
    I am a Grey Jedi.

Re: Using Battlemaps

If you elevation gain is less than 45 degrees (at most 1 square of up for every 1 square of lateral) I would treat that like a hill or smooth surface. Any elevation greater than that like a 2 square wall would require a climb check starting at TN 11. A wall of 3 squares would be TN 12, 4 squares TN 13 etc, where maximum distance climbed equals their movement speed. That means any climber only has a 50% chance to climb their maximum distance in one move action. A good climber would be wiser to go slower and maximize their success chance.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

Quote Originally Posted by mdlthree View Post
    If you elevation gain is less than 45 degrees (at most 1 square of up for every 1 square of lateral) I would treat that like a hill or smooth surface. Any elevation greater than that like a 2 square wall would require a climb check starting at TN 11. A wall of 3 squares would be TN 12, 4 squares TN 13 etc, where maximum distance climbed equals their movement speed. That means any climber only has a 50% chance to climb their maximum distance in one move action. A good climber would be wiser to go slower and maximize their success chance.
    so, 1 elevation does not hamper movement but any more than that requires a Climbing Test? As if you are climbing a wall, i get it.

Now if they go from one elevation to another in kind of a stairway pattern, do i still make this Climbing Test or are they not hampered by the subtle changes?

i just want to make sure i am understanding your idea correctly here. and thanks, this actually helps a little
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by VladGenX View Post
    Now if they go from one elevation to another in kind of a stairway pattern, do i still make this Climbing Test or are they not hampered by the subtle changes?
    The stairway pattern of blocks (think minecraft) would not have the climb test. You could narrate that pattern as a hill or stairs. Anything ramped feature that you do not intend to hamper movement. Let's say you have a 2 block vertical part and it has a ladder on it, then I would also not require a climb test as a ladder should not impeded movement.

The kind of simple climb test I described in the last post would be for something with basic hand a foot holds. Like a craggy rock wall, rough stone wall, bookshelf. If your obstacle is somewhere in between regular climbing and a stairs (let's say a ladder with missing rungs) you could increase the TN at half the pace of regular climb.

The make a situation where you have a really steep hill that has a structure of 2 blocks up for every 1 block forward, and there are 4 in succession. That would be four "moderate" vertical movements taking a total of 8 movement. The first square of any vertical you can treat like a diagonal up and to the side so 4 side and 4 up. You could realize this test in the following way:
    • An advanced test with a series of four TN XX Strength (Climb) rolls and the success dies must be greater or equal to 4 to succeed the climb. For character with zero strength and focus (baseline) the chances of succeeding are approximately; TN11 is 86%, TN12 is 76%, TN13 is 61%, TN14 is 46%, TN15 is 30%.

For a situation where you have a single 4 block high obstacle to climb. You would start with a TN of 11 for the First two blocks, and add one more TN for each extra block for a total of 13.
    • A single Strength (Climbing) test with TN14 (TN 11+2) has a 26% chance of success with the same character.

I don't really like the low chance on that straight climb check. Ill have to use the spell formula to see what is a more fair way to price climb challenges. The advanced version looks promising but probably as an extension of the single one where a character attempts an entire climb during narration time. It probably for the best for advance test to be just for narration time, and single tests for action time.
    Herding Dice - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.
    Adventure Mechanics - A set of house rules for the Adventure Game Engine that focus on mathematically informed opinions for balance and extension.

here is my first attempt to create Battlemap rules using FAGE and Heroscape.
    HERE IT IS!!!!
    I hope you enjoy
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.

Updated Battlemap rules

I added rules for Roads and Walls/Ruins.

What could possibly be left? You may ask me...

Well, i need to do...

1: grenade rules, for lobbing and area of effect
    2: Rules for weather conditions
    3: Rules for light and darkness

other than that, i think it is almost done. if there is anything i have left out that you have an idea for, please let me know and i will try to incorporate it. have a great day.
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.

Battlemap update

here it is again, i gave rules for cover, castle walls and doors, and ladders. this is still using Heroscape and i think it is a very nice conversion. it is just flowing nicely into itself. i hope you enjoy it.
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.

Yet another dammed update!!!!!!

i finished the rules for using Grenades, using the rules from FAGE and with some from Heroscape. they are rather simple to follow so i hope you enjoy.

i also changed the layout a bit to make it more clean. and i corrected some typing errors as well.

thanks
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.

hopefully the last version!!!

I finished rules for hampered vision in adverse weather. remember that these are guidelines and not really set fast rules. you can modify them as you see fit and i hope you enjoy them as much as i have creating them.
    There is only the Force.
    I am a Grey Jedi.