Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leveling Up

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Leveling Up

Quote Originally Posted by PnPgamer View Post
    What if GM would say that he does milestone-thing, but actually tracks xp? or the other way around?
    Personally, I design adventures so PCs level up at milestones, but we track it with XP. They don't know that the encounters are created that way, and for the most part I've been accurate. IMO, a little inconsistency helps with the illusion.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by PnPgamer View Post
    What if GM would say that he does milestone-thing, but actually tracks xp? or the other way around?
    I'd say that a GM who actively lies to his players is exactly the kind of thing that makes players take an adversarial view of the GM.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdreamer View Post
    I'd say that a GM who actively lies to his players is exactly the kind of thing that makes players take an adversarial view of the GM.
    It's not so much lying to players as it is effective GMing. The GM controls the encounters, after all. If you know the party is X amount of XP away, and a milestone is upcoming, encounters can be adjusted. One fewer planned locked door or guard post, or maybe that Darkspawn alpha also has an emissary flunky. Ideally, IMO, the XP will correlate with milestone events so that leveling happens at opportune times.

I don't know how you would do the reverse. A milestone event is a milestone event - why would you bother tracking XP if everyone is agreed to milestone level?

A GM who doesn't at least have a few secrets from the players is doing it wrong.

There's a reason why the GM screen is standard equipment.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    why would you bother tracking XP if everyone is agreed to milestone level?
    maybe gm wanted to stay with xp while the players didn't. Maybe its an experiment. I dunno. Just food for thought.

Keeper of Secrets

If the table agrees to use XP, and the GM attempts to tailor it to milestones; or if the table agrees to milestone leveling, and the GM uses a broad XP ticker to help gauge when milestones happen, that is one thing. However, if the GM disregards the table decision, I completely agree with:

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdreamer View Post