Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: The Please Preserve This thread

  1. #11
    OPA Belta Arkrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    Questions:
    Is it possible to preserve/lock the entire game room and Roll Call? If not should we be listing individual threads? Do we need to add in links?
    If it is not possible for it to be preserved indefinitely would it be possible to have them still available for a few months after the lock down?
    I've been in games for probably close to ten years on these Forums, some of the best times and most fun I've ever had with a group of amazing people, creating some of the best and most heartfelt stories.
    It's been a privilege to be a part of it, and I would love any chance to preserve it, even if it means I'll be spending my off time copying and pasting as fast as I can.

    If I may make some, hopefully, compelling reasons for saving some of the boards in an archive form:

    The Rules threads are very useful for new players who have questions, keeping them available, even if they can't add new ones, will help them learn an understand the game.
    The Roll Call thread is also a very useful tool for new players who want to see how characters were built to try to reverse engineer them, or just add prebuilt characters to their own games that haven't been previously put together in a M&M book.
    GM's Eyes only could be very helpful to any new game master who's trying to run a game.
    Those three threads can do a lot of help for new customers trying to break into the games, and will help those who buy your books.

    I am extremely biased, but I also believe that leaving the game rooms around can also help people as they will get to see these games being played, how the GM works, how the players respond, which can be extremely helpful for people learning the system. There are literally thousands of step by step combat and role play encounters for them to look through to help them understand and get new ideas.
    And possibly even to help them create their own games and characters.

  2. #12
    Events Manager Freebooter Danicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    63

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkrite View Post
    Questions:
    Is it possible to preserve/lock the entire game room and Roll Call? If not should we be listing individual threads? Do we need to add in links?
    If it is not possible for it to be preserved indefinitely would it be possible to have them still available for a few months after the lock down?
    I've been in games for probably close to ten years on these Forums, some of the best times and most fun I've ever had with a group of amazing people, creating some of the best and most heartfelt stories.
    It's been a privilege to be a part of it, and I would love any chance to preserve it, even if it means I'll be spending my off time copying and pasting as fast as I can.
    Howdy,

    We'll have more information later this week-ish or so once we've made a final decision. We're having a wine & ops meeting on Friday night, so we'll outline exactly what we'll be doing. With the ATT forums being around a super long time, with TONS of great information, RP, and whatnot, is why this has been a big discussion internally versus just blowing them up and closing them down.

    There are heaps of things we can do and your feedback and input is being heard and discussed.

    As an aside, props for keeping all this positive and heartfelt. <3
    Donna "Danicia" Prior
    Events & Volunteer Herder, Green Ronin
    http://about.me/Danicia

  3. #13
    MCRN Admiral Kreuzritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,809

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
    Howdy,

    We'll have more information later this week-ish or so once we've made a final decision. We're having a wine & ops meeting on Friday night, so we'll outline exactly what we'll be doing. With the ATT forums being around a super long time, with TONS of great information, RP, and whatnot, is why this has been a big discussion internally versus just blowing them up and closing them down.

    There are heaps of things we can do and your feedback and input is being heard and discussed.

    As an aside, props for keeping all this positive and heartfelt. <3
    thank you very much. just the suggested possibility that the boards will be up and archived is still on the proverbial table is a godsend for those of us too old or busy to save every single page...

  4. #14
    OPA Belta Psistrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,489

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    Thank you for that information, Danica. I've been stressed out and worried since this whole thing started Monday night to the point of losing sleep. I love these forums and wish we could simply remove any kind of arguing, etc. which disrupts the peace. A lively debate is one thing, arguing and trollish behavior is another. I've always tried to be helpful to Green Ronin in a small way, going through any new releases and finding any errata to post on the forums simply because I love the work you guys do and the books you create. I wish I could continue to do so and that the forums won't go away, I know that decision is up to you guys and hope for the best.

  5. #15
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,818

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    I'd certainly want to make sure Steve's old Official Answers forum was still accessible somewhere; even if he hasn't been doing them for years now, they're a valuable document for the evolution of his thought during development of M&M 2e that are still useful in discussion of 3e.

  6. #16
    MCRN Admiral FuzzyBoots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,583

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    I also worry whether Green Ronin will lose out on some revenue from the boards, whether it's announcing new products or simply providing a place for people to get together and play.

    And now I'm feeling bad for kvetching about 3E as often as I did...

  7. #17
    UN Basic Recipient
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    I agree that archiving the forum would be an excellent idea.

    I, and many of my friends, get a lot of mileage out of the Roll Call forum in particular. I have been able to get mates to buy the game based on the wealth of character write ups available alone.

  8. #18
    Events Manager Freebooter Danicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    63

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
    I also worry whether Green Ronin will lose out on some revenue from the boards, whether it's announcing new products or simply providing a place for people to get together and play.

    And now I'm feeling bad for kvetching about 3E as often as I did...
    Don't feel so bad. The boards don't actually affect our revenue at all. They're a 100% cost center. Not that this is bad, but it's just that not having a forum won't affect biz. That said, if we could come up with a brand new solution, while saving all the good stuff, it might be a value add for current customers.

    IMHO, it's great for folks to tell us WHY they love the forums and what value it brings to all y'all, over the business reasons to not have them. If we could work with the community to clean them up all over, would it be a worthwhile investment for not just us but for all y'all?

    Many things to discuss here with Team Ronin.
    Donna "Danicia" Prior
    Events & Volunteer Herder, Green Ronin
    http://about.me/Danicia

  9. #19
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    The Cosmere (currently: Nalthis).
    Posts
    962

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    I come to the forums because I love superheroes. Roll Call is awesome, as is the Settings forum. So much creativity---waking up every morning and seeing what a guy like Jab weaves out is like opening a Christmas present. I really don't like the idea of the actions of a few being levied against everybody. To lose the raw amount of creativity on these boards would be not very cool!
    The Architecturae: coming soon.|\__/|The Forever Tree:|\__/|The Forever Tree (the multiverse).\__/The Forever Tree (Earth-G).\__/Forever Tree NPCs.|\__/|The Multi-Faceted Gem: coming soon.|\__/|World-And-Maze:\__/World-and-Maze (the multiverse).

    The Realms of Idrifaulo.

  10. #20
    OPA Belta Arkrite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: The Please Preserve This thread

    I started coming to the forums because I was trying to learn how to play the game. I had an idea from reading the books, but a lot of the finer points were lost on me and having the resource was extremely helpful in getting me to where I am now.
    As with most RPGs the first couple of characters are the hardest, and then I just got distracted by the builds that were being made by everybody and eventually the games when that thread was open.

    If nothing else can be saved, could we please save White Howler's thread from the Atomic Think Tank? It's somewhat a memorial and I think it would mean a lot to a lot of people if it stayed up. We lost one of our own, but they're not forgotten.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •