Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Iron Fist : Coming to Netflix in March 2017

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Iron Fist : Coming to Netflix in March 2017

I got to episode 6 so far. I think it's great. I have no idea what got the critics undies in such a bunch.

Keeper of Secrets

Literally just finished episode 3. I am SO glad I didn't listen to the critics and just gave it a shot. Honestly, I now find the level of hate that had been directed at this (0% on Rotten Tomatoes originally) to be ridiculous. I've already seen a number of the scenes that were described as being so horrible, and find them blown so out of proportion, so... *petty*, almost, that it feels a lot like premeditated bias.

Yes, the writing could be a bit better. Yes, there are some flaws. But, wow, it's nowhere close to nuke-it-from-orbit awful. It's good, and I'm actually enjoying it. Even the pacing isn't nearly as bad as suggested (so far it IS slow, but not in a bad or boring way.)

I'm wanting to see more.
    Last edited by Rush; 03-17-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum here. And, here's the latest version of The Cast.
    Currently playing in: Cosmic Adventures and Identity Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by hypervirtue View Post
    I got to episode 6 so far. I think it's great. I have no idea what got the critics undies in such a bunch.
    I've finished episode 5, and I think it's fine. Sure, this isn't Luke Cage or Season 1 of Daredevil good. But the critics were making this seem like early Season 1 of Agents of SHIELD bad. At worse, this is late season 1 SHIELD or Season 1 Arrow good. Not great, not amazing, but certainly not bad.

I suspect it's that it's not the show they wanted. It's not the gritty realism darkness of the other Marvel Netflix series. And the action is not high flying wire fu wuxia.

I mean, I get not getting the show you wanted, that was part of what disappointed me about Jessica Jones, but I don't then say it was a bad show.

This could use maybe a bit more action, and I could go for some K'un L'un flashbacks. But I'm digging that episodes feel a lot more self contained. The plots build and continue, yes, but the other Marvel Netflix series felt like I need to marathon them in the first and second halves of the series, and that left me exhausted (and it's why I never went back to rewatch them). Plus, I hear everyone saying the lead actor is bad. I mean... he's not jaw droppingly good, but outright bad? Really?

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    I've finished episode 5, and I think it's fine. Sure, this isn't Luke Cage or Season 1 of Daredevil good. But the critics were making this seem like early Season 1 of Agents of SHIELD bad. At worse, this is late season 1 SHIELD or Season 1 Arrow good. Not great, not amazing, but certainly not bad.

I suspect it's that it's not the show they wanted. It's not the gritty realism darkness of the other Marvel Netflix series. And the action is not high flying wire fu wuxia.

I mean, I get not getting the show you wanted, that was part of what disappointed me about Jessica Jones, but I don't then say it was a bad show.

This could use maybe a bit more action, and I could go for some K'un L'un flashbacks. But I'm digging that episodes feel a lot more self contained. The plots build and continue, yes, but the other Marvel Netflix series felt like I need to marathon them in the first and second halves of the series, and that left me exhausted (and it's why I never went back to rewatch them). Plus, I hear everyone saying the lead actor is bad. I mean... he's not jaw droppingly good, but outright bad? Really?
    I know right?

I think its fun. I'm enjoying it. I just don't know.

I would have loved to see it go a little more over the top, but still.

After Episode 6 I am like, "Okay, dude, when am I going to see Danny just unleash the actual Iron Fist on someone?"

That's not bad. It was kind of like me in Daredevil going, "When is the d*** suit going to come in?" or "Come on Luke Cage, say sweet Christmas already!"

Critics are, not surprisingly, often critical just for the sake of it. And with the herd mentality of anyone else, they often tend to dogpile on something-plus when someone tells you something its bad, its easier to see its flaws because you know what to look for.

Iron Fist is good-its not amazing, its probably not even great, but it is by no stretch bad. But there was so much controversy surrounding it before it even came out that it made the easiest target for critics.

Some people could easily look at Danny listening to "So Fresh, So Clean" as another example of cultural appropriation, but you could also say "look, a white guy likes rap. Not only is that not racist, its incredibly, 100% realistic."
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

Heh. Mild spoiler warning, plus some NSFW language.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Eld View Post
    Critics are, not surprisingly, often critical just for the sake of it. And with the herd mentality of anyone else, they often tend to dogpile on something-plus when someone tells you something its bad, its easier to see its flaws because you know what to look for.

Iron Fist is good-its not amazing, its probably not even great, but it is by no stretch bad. But there was so much controversy surrounding it before it even came out that it made the easiest target for critics.

Some people could easily look at Danny listening to "So Fresh, So Clean" as another example of cultural appropriation, but you could also say "look, a white guy likes rap. Not only is that not racist, its incredibly, 100% realistic."
    On top of which he was a rich ten year old white kid in 2002. That he liked rap was the single most realistic thing in this entire series.

Watched the first two episodes this weekend. And I like it.

So glad the critics were (IMHO) wrong on this one.

I never agreed with any of the preformed opinions concerning the characters casting; but i'll leave that subject be, since we continue to have healthy discussion on that topic and i don't intend to derail it.

My main concern for this post is how could the critics be so wrong about the pacing? The show has pretty much the SAME pacing as all other Netflix shows; in fact, from my perspective, Iron Fist has its "moment" at the end of Episode 2 whereas Cage had to wait to episode 4 for its "Shit just got real" moment. And I loved Cage more than i expected to, though thats probably because I enjoyed watching Cottonmouth chew scenery (more like gum scenery, but whatevs!).

And I'm glad most of the people on this forum are in agreement that the show is good as well. Hopefully all those outspoken critics will quiet down and have some humble pie.
    "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by savijmuhdrox View Post
    Watched the first two episodes this weekend. And I like it.

So glad the critics were (IMHO) wrong on this one.

I never agreed with any of the preformed opinions concerning the characters casting; but i'll leave that subject be, since we continue to have healthy discussion on that topic and i don't intend to derail it.

My main concern for this post is how could the critics be so wrong about the pacing? The show has pretty much the SAME pacing as all other Netflix shows; in fact, from my perspective, Iron Fist has its "moment" at the end of Episode 2 whereas Cage had to wait to episode 4 for its "Shit just got real" moment. And I loved Cage more than i expected to, though thats probably because I enjoyed watching Cottonmouth chew scenery (more like gum scenery, but whatevs!).

And I'm glad most of the people on this forum are in agreement that the show is good as well. Hopefully all those outspoken critics will quiet down and have some humble pie.
    It's called the hostility effect.

What happened was this:

Early on a very vocal minority petitioned Marvel to cast an Asian male actor as Danny Rand because, they felt, Asian actors don't get enough roles and the lead character was a martial artist.

Marvel said they cast Finn Jones.

This vocal group got very angry and it started to trend. A number of supporters of a certain political figure's base became vocal proponents of the film. They used the request as a way to claim that they wanted to take Danny away from "us" which created many a Twitter war.

Marvel stood by their casting and the series, unfortunately, became politically linked in the minds of critics to this group whom they politically opposed.

So when critics saw it they had a negative attitude toward it both for that association and because Marvel had said no to them.

It's like praise that Luke Cage took, "A methodical and careful approach to building a world before beginning the main plot"

Was to Iron Fist, "A slow, boring crawl, before anything happened"

Same thing. Two ways to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by hypervirtue View Post
    It's called the hostility effect.

What happened was this:

Early on a very vocal minority petitioned Marvel to cast an Asian male actor as Danny Rand because, they felt, Asian actors don't get enough roles and the lead character was a martial artist.

Marvel said they cast Finn Jones.

This vocal group got very angry and it started to trend. A number of supporters of a certain political figure's base became vocal proponents of the film. They used the request as a way to claim that they wanted to take Danny away from "us" which created many a Twitter war.

Marvel stood by their casting and the series, unfortunately, became politically linked in the minds of critics to this group whom they politically opposed.

So when critics saw it they had a negative attitude toward it both for that association and because Marvel had said no to them.

It's like praise that Luke Cage took, "A methodical and careful approach to building a world before beginning the main plot"

Was to Iron Fist, "A slow, boring crawl, before anything happened"

Same thing. Two ways to say it.
    Thats kind of what i figured; but i am quite impressed with the slow burn the series advocates are brewing. On a number of sites (with comments) where a critic has poo-pooed the show, i'm seeing a lot of people in the comments not only refuting the critic, but they are doing it rather politely. So there's no ranting and raving, just people saying "I thought it was good, have a nice day" type stuff.

Personally, the more of that I see, the more I'm reassured the show will be fine and the Defenders will stay on track.
    "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.