Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Ser Timon

"That would be this one here," Timon replies, indicating the moaning man. "But I'd be wary of putting him to the question at the moment, Ser Gerold. He seems sorely wounded. Press him too hard, and he may die before he can reveal anything useful." He rubs his chin, obviously thinking hard, before continuing. "I have a suggestion. I still need to contact the Riverfly and explain what's happened, and for all we know, Joren may have accomplices that he's sent in his place to meet up with his compatriots. You need to get Lord Roote to safety as quickly as possible, and the Fox will only slow you down. Leave him in my care, and once I've made certain that nothing untoward is happening on the docks, I'll bring him to Lord Roote's tower. What say you?"
    Last edited by rax; 01-14-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon (and Quinton)

Ser Gerold acts swiftly upon your suggestion. “As you say, Lord Roote must depart and that one would slow us.” He turns and barks over his shoulder. “Vance! You’re to stay here with Ser Timon and question the Fox. Both of you report back to the tower as soon as you can.”

It’s not surprising that the White Bat is keeping you under watch. You would have done the same. The Fox is a murderer and drew the blood of the lord, and your connection to the whole intrigue is not uninteresting either. Ser Preston dutifully turns and strides over toward you. He appears to have weathered the skirmish without injury.

You’ve never met the man, and had few reasons to treat with his house. House Vance of Wayfarer’s Rest sits much farther down the Red Fork—closer to Pinkmaiden than Reedtown. While the Vances of Wayfarer’s Rest are the lesser branch of the house, they hold a banner house, the Smallwoods, and have been quite influential in the south. They fell under some suspicion during the Rebellion, on account of their sigil—showing two black dragons on white, quartered against two pairs of golden eyes, ringed in gold on black fields. Despite the coincidence, they followed the Vances of Atranta (the senior branch, which traces back to the River Kings of old) and the Tullys in supporting the crown. You remember that the Houses Vance sided recently with the Blackwoods in their dispute with the Brackens, though that conflict is long enough that nearly all the ancient houses can claim to have fought on both sides. There’s a Lord Kirk Vance currently courting Lady Johanna Tully, but if memory serves, he’s the more important Lord Vance, of Atranta.

Defender of the Word

Quinton

Casting a quick glance towards Ser Preston Vance, Quinton notes his presence - the fact that the knight has been left to 'safeguard' the prisoner and report back to Lord Roote not lost on him. It doesn't seem to give the boy any worry or displeasure though - it's merely an acknowledgement of the situation as he tries to look at the scenario through more mindful eyes. Turning his attention back to Ser Timon, Quinton asks his commander and representative of House Leyburn, "What shall we do with him, Ser Timon?" The question seems innocent enough, the boy referring to the man trapped beneath the horse. "Shall I get some of those oars to pry the horse up? Or do you plan to take the leg?" Quinton asks the question with all seriousness, never once turning to look at The Fox.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Timon guffaws at Quinton's question, the tension of the fight draining from him. "No lad, the Fox has questions to answer. If I take his leg now, he won't last long enough to curse me to his grave. Go ahead and fetch some oars. Johnny - help Quinton lift the horse, and I'll pull Joren out. Ser Preston, would you care to assist me? We must be swift, but careful not to aggravate the injury."
    Last edited by rax; 01-18-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Corrected minor spelling error.

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton and Ser Timon

Johnny procures pair of oars and working with Quinton, levers up the dead horse just enough to allow Joren the Fox to be dragged free. His skin is ashen and sweaty, his mouth locked in a grimace of pain. Thankfully, he's not showing any blood around his mouth. The arrows must have missed his lungs. His leg is broken and twisted at the knee, the splints of metal sewn into his heavy breeches bent as well. Once extracted from 'neath his ill-fated mount, he slumps down to his side, but remains conscious.

Defender of the Word

Quinton

After assisting Johnny with lifting the horse up just enough for Ferret and Ser Timon to drag the Fox out from beneath the beast, Quinton tosses the oar off to the side. Turning, he wanders slowly over to Ser Joren's side and squat on the side opposite from Ser Timon. His forearms resting on his knees, the young man inspects the placement of the arrows. It's not a clean grouping, but hits nonetheless - especially given the circumstances under which they were fired. Examining the arrows briefly, he gives the flights on one of the shafts a quick flick of his right middle finger before looking down at Ser Joren's grimaced face, the young man's emotions mixed given the clear pain he's in, but the cold fact that Ser Joren attempted to have them killed just moments ago. Otherwise, Quinton remains quiet and contemplative.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Timon glances over Joren's injuries, noting the badly broken leg and the arrows protruding from his chest. "Good news, Joren. You're alive...barely," he snorts unpleasantly. "Johnny, Dorian. Take two oars and make a stretcher with your cloaks. 'Ser' Joren won't be going anywhere with us if he has to walk, and I don't want those arrows working their way deeper in until they do some permanent harm."

Turning to Quinton and his compatriot, he gives Ferret a hard look as he remembers Quinton's account back in the tower. "You - Ferret! Is this the man you gambled with?"

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

Joren shudders dully when you flick the arrowshaft. His wounds could easily prove mortal over the next day or so, but he seems to have stopped bleeding for the nonce--strong enough to answer a question or two. You are no stranger to dying men, especially those filled with arrows. Sometimes they would try to bargain for their lives, offering coins in their belt, or the cloak off their back, as if you couldn't just take it then and there.

Ser Ambrose Oakheart had little use for the enemy wounded. After the arrows stopped falling and the fight was over, he would call out for the enemy to stand. Those that could walk were marched to the nearest sept, leaving them to the care of the Faith. Those that could not walk were put to the sword where they lay. He only made exceptions by Lord Bloodraven's command; the one-eyed leader had a use for wounded nobles, either for ransoms, banishments, or public executions. Anonymous death in the field rarely served his purposes. Oakheart was known to grumble about this, preferring to leave nothing but corpses in his wake. Men said he had more honor than the Bloodraven, whose acts of public brutality were known to make the King's Justice blush. But while Bloodraven would disembowel in public, or mount traitor lords' heads on pikes, he would reap mercy's reward occasionally, returning captives in return for ransoms and promises. Oakheart put a higher price on honor--his own and his enemy's. He never tortured, but he never allowed his foe to yield either. Every traitor was made to repay their wasted honor with their blood, and very often, their life. Only those that the Warrior favored enough to be left standing at the end of the battle were deemed to be cleansed of their treason.

Just then, you hear a klaxon sound off the dock. Raising your head, you see a cluster of lanterns bobbing towards the dock. That must be the riverboat Timon promised.

Ser Timon

Johnny and Dorian bend to their task, overlapping their cloaks on the ground and twisting the edges around a pair of oars. Presently, they're ready to shift Joren to the stretcher. In the meantime, Ferret positively identifies Joren and reiterates the broad strokes of what Quinton has already told you. Just as he's finishing, you hear Riverfly announce her presence will a bell-call and some lights on the water. She's coming right in to the dock before you.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Timon gives Ferret a sour look as he digests what the stupid peasant has done. There'll have to be consequences, of course. But best to let Ethan handle it. It'll be a good lesson for the both of them...

"She's here," Timon remarks to Preston Vance when he hears the bell-call, a relieved smile on his face. "Well, Joren. Now's your chance to start talking your way out of a noose. You knew we were coming to the docks and which way we were taking - tell me how. And how many more of your thugs are waiting out there?"