Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Ser Timon

Timon listens intently, nodding or shaking his head in turn as he processes the flow of information. When Bass is finished, he whistles softly. "Let me get this straight - Lord Roote has disbanded his garrison and sent away both his sons, as well as all his remaining armed strength, and now holds this town with just five knights? I know Lord Roote's not a military-minded man, but neither is he a fool, and those are the actions of a fool. Has he gone mad? Is he being blackmailed? Or has he been bought?" Timon muses out loud, then stops again to massage his temples.

"Alright Bass, you've certainly earned your keep this night. But there's a bonus in it for you if you can answer some more questions:
    First - you said that Lord Roote quarrelled with Dickfred. What was the quarrel about, and what reason did Lord Roote give his garrison for putting them on leave?
    Second - how long ago did he send away Robar?
    Third - you said that his lordship shows himself little these days. When was the last time that he was seen in public, and how did he appear then - anything out of the ordinary?
    Fourth - has the Fox been seen together with any of Lord Roote's knights?
    Fifth - Mychel Hayford. Is he here with any men of his own? And since you know who he is, I assume that he's not been terribly discreet in asking questions - is it likely the Fox and Lord Roote are aware of him?"

OOC: Timon is willing to pay good silver for each point answered. As for where all the money's coming from, I'd like to suggest that Timon confiscated the coin they recovered from the bandits. To wit, "a minorly impressive sum of coin, amounting to eleven gold dragons and hundreds of silver stags". Unless these were clearly also counterfeit, Timon will have pocketed the gold dragons and enough silver to be generous with his bribes before departing for Lord Harroway's Town.

Also, Timon still plans to ask Bass to find some extra eyes to keep an eye on the docks for him, but I want to get the questions about the state of the town and the disposition of the various players out of the way first.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

“Well, the garrison is gone, but not gone gone. Lord Roote locked the armory and put the men to work on the docks, for a reduced salary. The river galleys and their crews are never far either.” You recall that House Roote keeps four or five small war galleys to guard against piracy, smuggling, and other nefariety. It also allows House Roote to choke the Trident in wartime, if necessary.

Bass tucks the silver and gold you proffer somewhere beneath his smock, rather than in its outer pockets. “M’lord is neither fool nor madman nor blackmailed, as I see it. He and his sons have come to know every miscreant of any repute in this town. There are . . . understandings. Arrangements. The gutter rats sort themselves out more often than not, and they know how to carry spears as well. Half the vagabonds who ever came to sack the town turned away, and the other half buried their cocks in the Tower Street whores and never left.” Even so, you doubt the (wall-less and castle-less!) town could withstand an assault by trained soldiers. “Of course, it’s a bit much for five knights to keep up with. Things have fallen through the cracks. Tolls, duties, minor issues of justice and such. Slippage.”

“Now your questions. As a simple fishmonger, I’m not privy to the twists and turns of the quarrel between Quincy and Dick. All I know is that voices were raised and Dick was sent to King’s Landing. The garrison was put on dock-duty on the pretense of needing extra labor, lack of lordly coin, and other rheumy excuses. Robar went not long after, perhaps four months ago, and two months after Dick left. Lord Quincy comes out to sit on his stoop some days and to walk Tower Street with his knights. I saw him no more than six days ago. He’s the same to my eyes; old and quiet and bookish. He rarely sends for me, but I talk to Gerold Whent monthly.” Ser Gerold Whent, the White Bat, is a man of substance. He is castellan of the town in Lord Roote’s absence, a veteran of half a hundred battles, including Redgrass Field, where he slew the famed Ser Aubrey Ambrose and captured the rebel banner. He’s a handful of years older than you, seasoned and strong. By rights, he could have been an officer of House Lothston, but chose to serve the Rootes instead.

“Ahem, 'scuse me.” Bass spits into one of the reeking buckets. “I haven’t seen the Fox together with any of Lord Roote’s knights, and they haven’t seen fit to ask me of him. Hayford is alone and only showed up today, so I doubt Lord Roote knows of him. The Fox might know more than Roote, though it’s hard for me to say just how far that reaches. It may make no matter, as Hayford is not a shy man—always asking questions about rumors, plots against the crown, Blackfyres, and other shades of years yester. He might as well wear an eyepatch and quark like a raven. They’ll hear of him soon enough.”

OOC: Sounds good as to the money. It’s not counterfeit or traitor’s coin, as far as Timon can tell.

Defender of the Word

Quinton

The young man looks confused and almost a little scared as Lord Roote expounds on the necessity to know and understand one's lord. The talk of dying needlessly in a lord's service is certainly a bit unsettling given his present situation. When Lord Roote has finished, Quinton tries to respond. At first, his voices stutters a bit as he struggles to find the words. "I... I..." Then, after gulping down a bit of built-up saliva, the young boy gives Lord Roote a firm nod of the head to show his acknowledgement of the words, even if he doesn't fully understand or appreciate them. "I'll do my best to follow your advice, m'lord," Quinton tells the town's liege. "As you say, I'm doubt his concerns will ever be known to me, much less my own, but should it come to pass, I will keep my eyes and ears open."

Quinton's eyes then drift back down towards the chits on the table. Eyeing the 'worthless fortune' for a moment or two, Quinton then looks back to Lord Roote with sudden curiosity, his face scrunching and his eyes narrowing. "What is it you will do with the miller, m'lord?" Quinton asks. "I ask your forgiveness in my questions... but, it just now struck me why such a man would take on such a task. Why would he need to print such things? It seems needless to me... why not just use the King's coin?"
    Last edited by Jewdebega; 10-18-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Formatting fix

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

So, Quincy Roote and his sons came to an "arrangement" with the local thugs and crooks. And then both sons leave in a hurry and Quincy disbands the garrison - the garrison Dickfred commanded. A dispute over the depths of the "arrangement" perhaps? Or a dispute over the disposition of whatever benefits the Rootes were accruing from the deal? And if his lordship is prepared to give the scum of his domain the run of the town, has he also come to an "arrangement" with Quickfinger? I must tread carefully here, Timon thinks to himself.

"Alright, how Lord Roote chooses to run his town is no concern of mine," Timon grunts in reply. "I'm only interested in Joren the Fox, and as it happens, I believe I have just the bait to draw him out. And for that, I need a little more help from you, Bass. I expect Joren to head for the docks within a few hours, and I intend to be waiting for him there with my lads, but I don't now exactly when he'll make his move, or how many men he'll bring. Therefore, I need eyes on him from now until he heads for the docks, and regular reports if possible. I also need a good place to hide at the docks - it needs to overlook the area well enough that me and my lads can spot Joren when he turns up and get to him quickly no matter which particular dock he goes to. Can you arrange that within the hour? In the meantime, I have to go see Lord Roote about permission to deliver the King's Justice in his town," Timon finishes with a tired smile.

"Oh, and one more thing. The knight, Hayford. Can you let him know as discreetly as possible that if it's tales of treason he wants to hear, he should come and see me - alone - at Reedtown when my business here is concluded."
    Last edited by rax; 10-24-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Corrected which son commanded the garrison.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Bass considers your request pensively. Such in-the-moment spying is not his usual custom. “I can find you a perch to watch the docks. The deck of Sweethook should serve—it’s beached on the hillside, with the docks and approach from the town both within view. As for the Fox . . . I will come with word if I happen upon him, but I will leave the foxhunting to the lords.” No doubt Bass is wary of catching Joren’s wrath, or Quickfinger’s. If this were Reedtown, Bass would see it in his interest to cooperate. As it stands, Bass is probably more worried about currying favor with the lowlifes of Harroway Town than with you. “I’ll share that wisdom with Hayford, though if you mean to deliver justice in this town, he will hear of it soon enough.”

With that, Bass clasps your arm and steps out to the street. The fresh air wafts in, reminding you once more of the odorousness of the shack.

OOC: I want to correct one of Timon’s internal thoughts: It was Dickfred Roote, not Robar, who commanded the garrison. Robar was more of a steward type, a lord in waiting.

Quinton

Lord Roote stretches and his joints give off a few low pops. “The miller? Well, he issues it as a loan. Merchants can borrow a hundred tin chits for a promise to return ten-and-a-hundred silver stags. Any man holding a tin Mill knows he can return it to the miller for a silver stag. Minting is an ancient trade. Before Aegon the Conqueror united the Seven Kingdoms, there were hundreds of different types of coin in the realm—as many coins as there were mines and mints and lords. Once every few moons, you will see a scuffed piece of silver with a griffin, lion, scorpion, or some other sign on its face. Many originated in the Westerlands, where gold once veined the hills just like the clay does in our riverbanks—the star of Tarbeck and the boar of Crakehall have both been stamped on gold coins—and in the Reach, where the Gardener kings issued golden hands. The Targaryens outlawed the creation of new coins of copper, silver, and gold over a hundred years ago. There are but a handful of royal mints and they only print the King’s coin.”

He drains his cup of water, swallowing. “Now, Strunk the Miller is no king or lord, so he does not issue his own gold, silver, or copper. Nor is he a real banker, who would have enough of the King’s gold and silver to issue it directly as a loan. Instead, he plays the banker by giving out tin in exchange for promises of repayment, and making good any tin returned to him. It is an uncommon practice, but not unknown. Grand Maester Aethelmure has written that merchant’s scrip arose in the Free Cities, where the merchants invented it in order to escape the banks’ usury.”

“As for Strunk’s fate, I will reserve judgment until I have learned the circumstances and nature of his folly.”

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Timon leaves the shack with some relief, filling his lungs with (relatively) fresh air outside. He scans the area deliberately for any hidden watchers, and is pleased to note the neither Johnny nor Dorian are immediately visible in their respective hiding places. Once satisfied that no one is lying in wait outside, he gives the signal to his men to join him and briefly inform them of the results of his meeting.

"It seems Lord Roote has disbanded his garrison and has sent his sons away together with most of the rest of his armed strength, save five knights and his river galleys. The way my informant tells it, he relies on an...understanding...with the town's lowlifes to maintain a semblance of order. I cannot fathom why his lordship would abdicate his authority in such a manner, but it does open up the possibility that he is in Quickfinger's pocket, even if he's no traitor to the crown. Unfortunately, we still need Lord Roote's permission to arrest Joren the Fox, so we must go and see him at once, and hope he will be as unconcerned with our business here as he is with the criminals that infest this place. If he gives his permission, we will then make haste to the Sweethook, an old scow beached on the hillside yonder. From there we can overlook both the docks and the approaches to them. In fact, let's regroup there no matter what the outcome of my meeting. Now, step lively - the longer we stay in one place, the quicker word is likely to reach Joren the Fox of our presence." With that, he leads his men towards Lord Roote's tower.

OOC: Again, assume that Timon is constantly on the lookout for anyone that seems to be following them and any signs of an ambush.
    Passive Awareness is 20. I assume you'll be wanting to roll if an active test is required.

Defender of the Word

Quinton

The young man looks as though he understands the words spoken by Lord Roote individually, but when taken as a whole, he completely fails to understand them. It's a somewhat 'in awe' look that Lord Roote is more than familiar with as a man in his position who most often explain things to others without his foresight, knowledge, or upbringing. Regardless, Quinton shakes the dumbfounded expression from his face by nodding his head quickly after a brief pause. "Yes, well, ummm..." he starts to say, his lips moving faster than his brain is able to keep up with. And once again, he finds himself at a loss of words for a moment or two until he can recover. "I believe the miller understands what he did was wrong, but it didn't not sound like it was something he willingly chose to do... if that's worth anything, m'lord," Quinton says, providing some minor words in defense of the drunken oaf they had encountered. Then in a somewhat sheepish tone, Quinton adds, "I think a lot of us have made choices from time to time we would not typically make if the situation did not seem to call for it." Quinton then watches the lord expectantly, as if trying to see if the words might sink in should they be needed later on in conversation.

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

Lord Roote prepares for another long-winded response, but is interrupted by the return of his knights. Ser Meryn Templeton enters first, his face ashen. Gerold Whent is just behind him. Templeton stands aside, deferring to the older knight to give his report. Whent rakes his short white hair with his fingers, then speaks. “We found the miller lying on his floor, his throat opened from ear to ear. The blood was still running when we stepped in, but we did not spy any attacker. Under the circumstances, I decided we should return at once.”

Lord Roote stands. “Ser Meryn, bring my mail and hammer.” You can’t imagine this shuffling, stooped man wielding heavy steel, but Roote’s face is showing anger for the first time since you’ve walked in.

Ser Timon

Johnny and Dorian join you in the twilight, listening dutifully as you explain the situation. Dorian initially looks a little bored, but perks up when the seriousness of the predicament sets in. Together, you make for Lord Quincy’s tower.

The way is familiar enough—a simple matter of following the streets as they grow wider and straighter at the heart of the town. At this time between day and night, the edges of the town are quiet while the center is alive with debauchery. Tower Street is lit by a series of lanterns hanging from the fronts of the brothels and taverns, which throw into relief the groups of folk moving about in twos and threes. The low rumble of laughter and conversation spills out whenever a door opens, bathing the street in more light and sound. Despite your sharp eyes, you catch no sight of Joren or any other familiar face. These people are lowborn townsfolk—fishers, crofters, shopkeepers, and smiths. A few carry simple weapons, but none could hope to threaten you in armor except by overwhelming number.

Finally, you achieve the palisade wall surrounding the tower. There’s a swinging gate left partway open up ahead. The tower itself is an old square thing jutting up some sixty or seventy feet, with a detached step leading to a narrow drawbridge, which appears to be lowered. You can see the dim flicker of light from within the tower and hear the soft snorting of a horse on the other side of the palisade.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Finally, you achieve the palisade wall surrounding the tower. There’s a swinging gate left partway open up ahead. The tower itself is an old square thing jutting up some sixty or seventy feet, with a detached step leading to a narrow drawbridge, which appears to be lowered. You can see the dim flicker of light from within the tower and hear the soft snorting of a horse on the other side of the palisade.
    An open gate, a lowered drawbridge, and not a guard in sight. Well my lord, you certainly seem certain of your safety, Timon thinks as he takes in the scene.

"Right lads, let's pay Lord Roote a visit. Keep your eyes open and your wits about you, but you draw neither steel nor arrow unless I command it. Is that clear?" With that, he leads his men through the gate and across the drawbridge, then stops to announce himself when they reach the doorway on the other side. "Ho, the tower! Ser Timon Leyburn seeks an audience with his lordship. I am here with two of my soldiers. May we enter?"

Defender of the Word

Quinton

At first, the sudden approach of the two knights is a bit terrifying. While the conversation had put Quinton at ease - he was even going to get his lord's money back for the barding - their presence put him back on edge. Where they there to take him away now that Lord Roote had toyed with him? Turning about so he can face all three men, Quinton takes a step or two towards Ferret as he waits for them to make a move. When they disclose the death of the miller, Quinton's face looks ghostly white. The miller was dead? Quinton casts a mortified look towards his comrade. He knows they had just come from there. Would they be considered suspects in his death? The suspicion and fear was much greater than the simple shock of the news. But when Lord Roote calls for his armor and weapon, surprise grips Quinton - urging him to look back towards the older man. Blinking in some disbelief and uncertainty, Quinton manages to fumble out the words, "Your armor? What... what's happening m'lord?" Quinton looks between all those gathered - even Ferret - for some clue as to what is unfolding.