Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 106

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

  1. #71
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    240

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad holds his hand up and signals to stop. Looking over his shoulder he addresses the group.

    "Rest the horses for a few minutes. I will be, but a moment as I seek information. Stay close so we can leave quickly."

    Motioning for Blacktooth to follow him, Vladimir heads towards Maester Hareth.

    "Maester Hareth, it is good to see you. I trust you are doing well? If you have a moment I need seek your help in a matter."

  2. #72
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quinton

    You can feel a tightness in your throat as you move to confront Ferret, your color rising. The gamblers step tactfully aside as you approach.

    Ferret’s face splits into a wide grin as he recognizes you, then melts as he remembers what he did to you and to his duty. For a moment, he appears transfixed by his own fear and disgrace, but all of a sudden he jerks to the side and tries to dart out toward the tent flaps.

    The rest of the tent jaws and laughs at the spectacle, though they’re almost a blur at this point.

    OOC: You have an opportunity to interfere with him here if you like. That can take the form of a grab attack with your hands, a knockdown attempt, or whatever else you’d like to try. Remember that Ferret is quite drunk and has a number of penalty dice on all tests as a result.


    Ser Timon

    Your council returns to the bow at your bidding. Harn speaks first. “Mayhaps we could catch ‘em. Mayhaps not. Hard to say. Faster oars mean a faster ship. As for floating on the night, I like our chances. There’s not much traffic in the river and with Shaw Tower behind us, we need only worry about the Lothston docks. Since Moonspirit is a lawman’s ship, we can float with lanterns and torches bright. Riverfly must needs float in the dark or risk being spotted breaking Lord Tully’s law. O’course she might anchor ‘nstead. Either way, we can see the docks better to avoid them.” Ryk speaks up next. “But if we float, we may overtake Riverfly at anchor without realizing it. Even with lanterns bright, the far side of the river will be a shadow.”

    OOC: You’re correct about Shaw Tower appearing on the north shore before the Lothston docks appear on the south shore.

    I actually meant to keep yours and squadfather’s timelines in sync in order to heighten dramatic tension. It was an oversight to not give Timon a nighttime scene by now. We’ll say he is a bit behind Vlad then, which is ok now that Vlad has stopped to converse with Maester Hareth. That should give us an opportunity for Timon to catch up.


    Ser Vlad

    The townsfolk regard you carefully as you ride down among their huts and pens on your way to the docks. It’s a grubby little settlement, as many in the Riverlands are.

    Maester Hareth tucks away a bound book of figures and bows stiffly to you as you rein up before him. Up close, he's just as you remember: unflappable, stern, judging. “Ser Vladimir Kirov—an honor as always, if…unexpected. How may milady’s docks assist you?” His choice of words is not lost on you. These are his Lady’s lands and you both know it.

  3. #73
    Defender of the Word
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    30

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quinton

    You can feel a tightness in your throat as you move to confront Ferret, your color rising. The gamblers step tactfully aside as you approach.

    Ferret’s face splits into a wide grin as he recognizes you, then melts as he remembers what he did to you and to his duty. For a moment, he appears transfixed by his own fear and disgrace, but all of a sudden he jerks to the side and tries to dart out toward the tent flaps.

    The rest of the tent jaws and laughs at the spectacle, though they’re almost a blur at this point.
    Quinton

    "Ferret!" Quinton shouts, his young voice cracking with the high pitch of youth while he attempts the commanding tone of a much older, grizzled veteran. Not looking forward to tracking Ferret down yet again, Quinton makes an attempt to grab his counterpart by the back with both hands. Perhaps he can get a tight grip about the roughspun shirt covering Ferret's torso and drag him backwards. Quinton is not above hurting the other man, but he does not intend to do him serious harm. He would have no qualms about throwing Ferret to the ground on his back if it prevented his escape and gave him the opportunity to confront him.

  4. #74
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    240

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad returns Maester Hareth's bow with one of his own.

    "I seek your assistance in a matter of both importance and urgency. We've had a group commit crimes against our small folk. They took hostages and are making an escape down the river."

    Vladimir goes into detail describing the attack and the boat they escaped on. Once done Vlad lets Hareth digest the information before speaking again.

    "We simply seek information on if you or anyone here has seen the ship. We are traveling in the open with our colors out so as not to be considered in a dubious plot. We will follow the river and hope to catch up with them."

  5. #75
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    350

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Your council returns to the bow at your bidding. Harn speaks first. “Mayhaps we could catch ‘em. Mayhaps not. Hard to say. Faster oars mean a faster ship. As for floating on the night, I like our chances. There’s not much traffic in the river and with Shaw Tower behind us, we need only worry about the Lothston docks. Since Moonspirit is a lawman’s ship, we can float with lanterns and torches bright. Riverfly must needs float in the dark or risk being spotted breaking Lord Tully’s law. O’course she might anchor ‘nstead. Either way, we can see the docks better to avoid them.” Ryk speaks up next. “But if we float, we may overtake Riverfly at anchor without realizing it. Even with lanterns bright, the far side of the river will be a shadow.”
    "Yes, that's certainly a risk," Timon replies, acknowledging Ryk's point. "But if we end up ahead of the Riverfly and reach Lord Harroway's Town first, then that's not a bad state of affairs. We'll be there waiting for them, so the killers won't have any chance of disappearing on us. And Quincy Roote is known to be a just lord - I wager he won't mind us doing our duty in his domain, at least as long as we let him know what we're up to first."

    Timon falls silent, pondering how much of his mind he should reveal to his "council", but in the end he decides to lay his cards on the table. "I'm more concerned that - whether we're ahead or behind him - Captain Longpalm may put his passengers ashore before Lord Harroway's Town, and unless we catch him in the act, we won't know about it until we catch the Riverfly. That is, unless Ser Vladimir's shore patrol spots something and can signal us."

    Again, Timon falls silent, weighing his options for the chase. Having made up his mind, he continues: "Right, given Captain Harn's confidence, here's what we'll do. Firstly, we keep up this pace until nightfall. If we reach House Lothston's docks without sighting the Riverfly, we'll stop there and rest the men for a while. I'll check with the harbor master if the Riverfly has docked there or at least been sighted since yesterday. If I turn up empty-handed, we'll set off as soon as the men have had a short rest and float downriver through the night. If night falls before we get to House Lothston's docks, we keep floating at least as far as the docks, and further if it only takes us an hour or two after dark to get there. About four hours before dawn, we anchor and everyone rests. Then we set off at first light at full speed."

    OOC: As detailed above, the plan will vary depending on when we reach House Lothston's docks. If it's night before we get there, Timon won't be going ashore to talk to the harbor master. In either scenario, by a "short rest" I mean just enough so that the men's performance won't be impacted too heavily. I've assumed that's about four hours, but I leave that in your hands to decide.

    As for detecting anchored ships in the night, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect anchored vessels to have a lantern lit for crewmen on watch? Of course, Longpalm may elect not to do so if he's being paranoid, but at least we would have good odds of finding (and avoiding!) boats that aren't engaged in criminal endeavours.

  6. #76
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quenton

    Ferret is a heavier than you and has a longer reach, but he’s not a match for you drunk. His escape attempt is poorly executed and you manage to get a solid hold on his roughspuns with each hand. For a long moment or two, you struggle as he tries to get the power of his legs behind him and you try to pin his weight to the table. Dimly, you hear the men offering bets on the outcome as a jape. At last, you trod on his foot and he goes down hard with you on top of him, upending a table in the process. The instant he hits the ground, you feel the fight go out of him.

    A loud clang rings out and everyone’s attention turns back to the track, where the hounds and at it once more. They shower both of you in a little spray of dirt on their way round the track. From somewhere under you, you hear Ferret’s voice. “Quenton? I…I think I want to go home now.”

    OOC: Your grab attack with Fighting (Brawling) 3d6: 12 (success)

    Opposed Athletics (Strength) check to hold Ferret once you've grabbed him: 3d6: 11 (success)


    Ser Timon

    The council takes in your plan and puts it in motion. Ser Walton directs his resting men to keep an eye on the banks of the river as well as up ahead. The men are developing nasty blisters and rips on their hands, which aren’t used to the hard work of oarsmanship. Nevertheless, they persist and keep their complaints under their breath.

    Night falls before any appearance of the Lothston docks, although Harn assures you they are not far off. After an hour or two of nighttime drifting, they come into view, low in the water on the southron shore. Truth be told, you might not have noticed them at all, but for the absence of reflection of your torches and lanterns, which cast long, flickering streams of light along the water.

    After lashing to the dock, you take in your surroundings. The docks themselves are plain, dirty wooden things scattered with cast-off barrels, lines and other detritus. A handful of small fishing boats are lashed tight to the dock, as well as the poleboat Lillypad. You can see some bales of hay waiting near the treadmill crane, but no other goods. Certainly no sign of steel rods—Riverfly’s cargo. You also see no sign of a harbormaster or anyone else in the night. There are some peasant’s hovels higher up on the bank, though you can barely make them out, but no lights to show anyone watching. Storming up there right now would like as not be taken for an act of banditry.

    OOC: assuming you take to the river again—sorry if I’m misreading your plan…
    You float another few hours into the night, a time that reveals only a barge at anchor. Soon enough, sleep takes you.


    Ser Vlad

    Maester Hareth takes in your tale impassively, waiting for you to finish. When you have said your piece, he nods toward the Leyburn colors. “You did yourself honor by riding with your banner out front. I only hope it will undo the dishonor of failing to seek permission. I know House Leyburn lacks a maester, so sending a raven is difficult. But sending a messenger is no trouble.” He pauses for a moment to let his admonitions sink in. “I have not seen Riverfly. However, I have been reviewing the marks our harbormaster has kept and I do remember that Riverfly stopped here, going upriver some three months ago. Of course--"he coughs once or twice and pauses to regain his voice—“that is not much use to you. But the peasants spoke last night of a boat floating downriver, lit to high heaven with lanterns—the better to see our docks. As you may be aware, floating downriver at night is forbidden by Lord Tully. Perhaps this outlaw ship is your Riverfly.”

    Assuming you take this in and prepare to leave, Maester Hareth bids you good morrow. You’re certain that as soon as you’re out of sight, he’ll be scribbling a note, bound by raven or rider, for Harrenhal and Lady Donelle.


    Ser Timon

    Dawn comes swiftly, after a fitful night of discomfort, but the early morning is pleasantly cool and not too bright on the eyes. Groggily, the men take their positions and set the oarlocks creaking with their strokes. Slowly, the day heats up, imparting a general raggedness on the synchrony of the oar-strokes. Here and there, a splash happens instead of a splish, a plop instead of a slish.

    From your perch on the bow, you spy a boat up ahead. It’s moving the same direction as you and almost matches your speed. As the minutes wear on, you finally spot the telltale triangular sail and high-set oarlocks. Riverfly reveals herself, three hundred yards yonder and dead center in the river.


    Ser Vlad

    The high river banks give way to some low, stony floodplains by the river. In the head of the day, the horses are half-mad with wroth at the flies and mosquitos. Only your hunter’s pace and the accompanying breeze is enough to keep the animals somewhat focused and obedient. As you drift closer to the river to take another look, you spy a riverboat hauling fast downriver, about two hundred yards ahead of you.

    She has more than three oars aside and a square sail, but something about the boat makes you stare a bit longer. Soon enough it comes to you. It’s Moonspirit, Timon’s erstwhile flagship.

    OOC: Timon and Vlad are synced up now!

  7. #77
    Defender of the Word
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    30

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quenton

    Ferret is a heavier than you and has a longer reach, but he’s not a match for you drunk. His escape attempt is poorly executed and you manage to get a solid hold on his roughspuns with each hand. For a long moment or two, you struggle as he tries to get the power of his legs behind him and you try to pin his weight to the table. Dimly, you hear the men offering bets on the outcome as a jape. At last, you trod on his foot and he goes down hard with you on top of him, upending a table in the process. The instant he hits the ground, you feel the fight go out of him.

    A loud clang rings out and everyone’s attention turns back to the track, where the hounds and at it once more. They shower both of you in a little spray of dirt on their way round the track. From somewhere under you, you hear Ferret’s voice. “Quenton? I…I think I want to go home now.”
    After they hit the ground, Quinton remembers some of the hand-to-hand training he received. It was Ser Ambrose that believed in preparation in all circumstances. What would happen when the enemy came in close and an arrow could not be fired? One would, of course, have to resort to melee - but what if they had no sword and needed to react quickly? The days spent tussling with one another - wrestling in the yards with the goal of purely subduing your opponent - flooded into the memories of his muscles. Quinton himself even feels the sting of a phantom punch to his nose from long ago. Digging his knees into Ferret's rib cage and pinning the bigger boy's arms to the ground, instinctively ready for a continued fight, Quinton can feel his heart pounding against his chest as the fight begins to overpower the flight.

    Upon hearing the yielding words of his comrade, however, Quinton eases back and lets go of Ferret's arms. He looks about their immediate area as he feels the dirt spray against the back of his neck, breathing heavily as he tries to calm himself and take in the crowd about them. He eyes the overturned table nearby, noting that might cause some problems between them and the patrons of the betting track. With a sense of a desire to leave quickly, Quinton snaps back to the matter at hand, gently slaps Ferret's left cheek with his right hand, as if trying to wake him, and says calmly, "Let's go, you oaf. Before you cause any more trouble."
    Last edited by Jewdebega; 04-12-2017 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error.

  8. #78
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    240

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    "You are correct sir, and for that I apologize. In our haste to depart we forgot the most basic of courtesies. I both both you and the Lady Donelle will accept my apologies."

    Val is genuine in his apology to Maester Hareth. As he listens to Hareth ,he feels a momentary feeling of disbelief that the boat hadn't been seen. she must have sailed through the night and not docked here.

    As Vlad turns to leave ,he turns back to Maester Hareth and bows as he speaks. "I thabk you for you assistance in this matter. I hope to see both you and Lady Donelle at the upcoming tournament."

    Vladimir then mounts his horse and the group is once again off to look for the ship.

    It wasn't ling before they came upon Timon's flagship. Turning to Blacktooth, Vlad issues a simple command.

    "Raise our colors high, let them see that we've arrived and are ready to proceed."

  9. #79
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    103

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quenton

    Ferret struggles to his feet and staggers out of the tent with you. He doesn’t resist your grasp, seemingly almost thankful to escape the scene. He is thrice the fool. Once for displaying his drunkenness for all the world, twice for flaunting and losing his coin, and thrice for being taken down so easily by a smaller boy. Man? Certainly a boy in the eyes of the crowd.

    Outside, the flies are buzzing about the street. The dog-racing pavilion is pitched as a lean-to, connected to the side of a sagging daub hut. Across the street is a two-story inn, the Maiden’s Lips. The street itself is cracked earth, dry in the summer heat. A few peasants are making their way about, carrying sacks of grain and skins of water. Lord Harroway’s Town is not particularly large, but you’re up high on the bank away from the hustle and bustle of the waterfront and Lord Roote’s timber keep.

    Ferret glances down and turns out his pockets, trying to find a stray coin. It’s a futile effort; his might as well have holes for pockets given how quickly the oaf lost his coin. As to how he obtained such a sum of merchant’s scrip, it’s beyond you. Such coin is only issued to highborn Sers or merchants who can leave goods as hostage. However, it is not uncommon for the chits to change hands a few times before being redeemed at the merchant. The men who won Ferret’s coin will no doubt be able to exchange it for real silver or perhaps goods of some kind.

    Ferret himself sways a moment, then retches all over the ground in front of you. The stench is sour like wine and excites the flies. Ferret bends back up and starts nervously twirling his rat-tail between his fingers, afraid to start talking.


    Ser Vlad


    As you come upon Moonspirit, you can only hope that your improvised diplomacy will be enough to placate the Lothstons. The tales of Lady Danelle’s depravities might not all be true, but she is a queer woman and not one to be trifled with. You understand her nephew Ser Davos better. He would like as not seek confrontation over your improvised trespass, but would be unlikely to hold a grudge thereafter.

    Ser Brendan raises the colors high, leaning into the lance a bit as the wind drags the banner back. You’re riding close to the river now, along the top of a bluff that follows the river for a ways.

    OOC: I mistakenly wrote Lady Donelle instead of Lady Danelle last time. Lady Danelle is correct.


    Ser Timon

    Ser Walton raises a hue and cry. “Ser Vlad has the southron shore, two hundred yards behind us!”

  10. #80
    Defender of the Word
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    30

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quenton

    Ferret struggles to his feet and staggers out of the tent with you. He doesn’t resist your grasp, seemingly almost thankful to escape the scene. He is thrice the fool. Once for displaying his drunkenness for all the world, twice for flaunting and losing his coin, and thrice for being taken down so easily by a smaller boy. Man? Certainly a boy in the eyes of the crowd.

    Outside, the flies are buzzing about the street. The dog-racing pavilion is pitched as a lean-to, connected to the side of a sagging daub hut. Across the street is a two-story inn, the Maiden’s Lips. The street itself is cracked earth, dry in the summer heat. A few peasants are making their way about, carrying sacks of grain and skins of water. Lord Harroway’s Town is not particularly large, but you’re up high on the bank away from the hustle and bustle of the waterfront and Lord Roote’s timber keep.

    Ferret glances down and turns out his pockets, trying to find a stray coin. It’s a futile effort; his might as well have holes for pockets given how quickly the oaf lost his coin. As to how he obtained such a sum of merchant’s scrip, it’s beyond you. Such coin is only issued to highborn Sers or merchants who can leave goods as hostage. However, it is not uncommon for the chits to change hands a few times before being redeemed at the merchant. The men who won Ferret’s coin will no doubt be able to exchange it for real silver or perhaps goods of some kind.

    Ferret himself sways a moment, then retches all over the ground in front of you. The stench is sour like wine and excites the flies. Ferret bends back up and starts nervously twirling his rat-tail between his fingers, afraid to start talking.
    Quinton

    Quinton turns his head away in disgust - an emotion painted across his face vividly - as the sound of Ferret's retching fills his ears and the smell of what were the contents of his stomach invades his nostrils. Fortunately for him the vomit ended up n the ground and not his clothes. Still, babysitting the drunken Ferret for the rest of the evening was going to be nothing enjoyable.

    His eyes turned to watch the locals pass-by and look for signs of anyone perhaps following them, Quinton decides to both chide and interrogate his counterpart. "Where did you money to gamble, Ferret?" Quinton asks like a sibling about to pour their moral outrage on their brother or sister, his contempt and annoyance coming through. "You don't save enough to gamble it away... and..." Quinton turns his eyes back to the now standing man, doing a double take on the outfit he has on. "... where did you get the clothes?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •