Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Quinton

There's a brief look of mild embarrassment on Quinton's face as Ser Timon mentions his strikes on Ser Joren, the young man averting his eyes a moment or two after he catches Ser Timon's glance. Only once Ser Timon starts asking Ser Joren direct questions does the boy look back to The Fox, expecting the man to be a bit more forthright than he has. Quinton, for his part, does not seem particularly engaged in the interrogation of Ser Joren - merely present to attest to what was asked and said. The only visible sign of interest out of Quinton is the mention of Harrenhal - a place he had heard of many times in tales of Aegon's Conquest and the rumors of it being cursed. It seems fitting such a place would be used for treachery. Regardless, Quinton remains quiet on the topic as he watches The Fox give up the depth of his knowledge.

When Ser Joren has finished answer Ser Timon's question, Quinton looks back to his superior with an inquisitive look - eyebrows arched as if silently questioning whether Ser Timon believed him or whether the answers were sufficient.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

"There now, that wasn't so hard was it? One final question - tell me about Balon Lychester. What's his part in all of this?"

Awareness (Empathy): 6d6k5 18 to get a feeling for whether Joren's response is true or not.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon and Quinton

Joren licks his lips. “The dwarf? Nothing to do wit’ the mints. We saw him around a bit, but he’s busy with his own matters. He is said to have done a great dishonor to the Sealord of Braavos, and some Pentoshi slavers are after him as well. I hear that Lychester spends a great deal of time sniffing about to see if his enemies are moving against him in Westeros.”

Ser Timon

You recall that Pentos and Braavos have warred over the past few years, but the war is waning, if not over.

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

Having met Balon Lychester, if ever so briefly, Quinton looks to Ser Joren in anticipation of an answer. It is a name he can put to a face and an answer that will have some relevance to his limited knowledge of the matter. When Ser Joren dismisses the Lychester's involvement in the plot, Quinton looks back to Ser Timon with a noticeably different look upon his face. There's an anxious, energetic look on the boy's face - as if he wants to say something - but must feel uncomfortable in the current situation to speak aloud.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

"Odd. I've heard that you've done more than just "see him around" these past days. In fact, I have it on good authority that he helped you fleece that dunderhead over there," Timon replies, jerking his thumb at Ferret. "Isn't that so, Quinton?"

OOC: I checked, and Quinton did in fact say as much here.
    Last edited by rax; 05-14-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon and Quinton

Joren deflates a bit and his eyes shift downward. "Oh, that . . . no, that was just me boys and I havin' a laugh. Lychester had a laugh too, but he wasn't . . . well, maybe you should shoot him full of arrows just to be sure. That's your style, innit?"

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

Upon hearing Ser Joren's reply, Quinton turns to look upon the injured knight and blinks - surprised by his response. Quinton had clearly expected a different response, leaving him with a surprised look across his face. Ser Timon can probably see that the boy looks less sure about whatever it is he wanted to say previously. It takes him a few seconds to firm up his chin and look back to Ser Timon. Taking in a deep breath through his nose, the boy remarks softly and steadily, "His lordship, Balon Lychester, was amused by Ferret's display and privy to the details... but... he never did mention Ser Joren by name or any other reference. It... it could... be entirely coincidence."

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Timon arches an eyebrow at Quinton's reply, saying nothing, but snorts derisively at Joren's comment. "I'll be sure to take your advice the next time Balon Lychester assaults me and mine in the streets, but so far he's shown no inclination to play the part of pincushion. I expect he and I will have a chat some time soon however."

"As for this conversation, I've had my fill of it. Thank you, Ser Gerold - I am done here. Do as you will with this fool, but if Lord Roote would have my advice, it would be to hang his conniving carcass post haste."

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton and Ser Timon

Ser Gerold nods. “I will take over the questioning from here. There more to learn as to the Fox’s accomplices. Those that escaped will hang, I swear by it.” He offers a hand for Timon to clasp, and gives Quinton a double pat on the shoulder. “Well-shot, boy. And my thanks for sharing your knowledge of the knight Hayford. Without that, we could have . . . misstepped.”

With the interrogation broken off, Lord Roote looks over at the two of you from his perch lying on the table. “Well, what will it be? Do I have cause to detain Balon Lychester? Prudence tells me that I should not clap irons on him without adequate cause—he may be a dwarf, but he is heir to Lychester, and Lord Ryman is not known for patience and understanding.”

Keeper of Secrets

Timon

"Then I would err on the side of caution, my lord. Joren denies that Balon played any active part in this plot, though he was present when "Ferret" over there made a fool of himself in a supposed game of wits that Joren put together. Young Quinton confirms this but cannot say with confidence that they were cooperating."

"It seems clear to me that something is rotten in the House of Lychester, though. Joren claims that he and Quickfinger have been blackmailing Zachery Lychester, Lord Goodbrook's nuncle, and just yesterday some hedge knights that were until recently in Lord Lychester's employ took it upon themselves to ambush Leo Darry when he was hunting in the Waterwood. Ser Vladimir dealt with that promptly, but from the tale the survivors told, it sounds as if Lord Ryman may be experiencing some sort of financial difficulties - to the point that he's not paying his soldiers. It still seems unlikely to me that Lord Ryman would involve himself in a plot against the crown, but others in his house might have reason to do so."

Timon pauses, scratching his chin. "As for the matter of the mint itself, Joren says that the plan was to mint three thousand coins here in town, then abandon it. He says he was instructed by Quickfinger that the gold needed for the job would arrive on a barge from "the fat-bellied whiskerfish", which he understands to mean that the barge would be one of House Shawney's. He expects the gold to arrive in a few days - the barge's helmsman is to seek him out and identify himself with the code word 'Razor'."