Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

  1. #81
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    340

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Ser Timon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Ser Walton raises a hue and cry. “Ser Vlad has the southron shore, two hundred yards behind us!”
    Timon turns at the sound of Ser Walton's cry and curses silently as he spots the Leyburn banner on the southern bank. Too late and too soon all at once, my friend. A little longer and we might have come alongside the Riverfly without tipping them off as to our intentions. But if we can see your banner, so can they...

    Timon swiftly makes his way to the aft of the ship, motioning for Harn, Ryk, and Ser Walton to join him. "Gentlemen, a slight change of plans. I fear that with the arrival of Ser Vladimir's patrol, we are about to find ourselves in a chase. Captain Harn, I need you and your men to do everything in your power to bring us alongside the Riverfly as quickly as possible. Ser Walton, we must pull the men from the oars and prepare them for battle - and it must be done as surreptitiously as possible. If fortune smiles on us, we may still be able to catch the Riverfly without Captain Longpalm realizing that we carry armed men aboard the Moonspirit. When we come alongside, we will proceed as previously planned, but instead of ordering Captain Longpalm to accept our boarding party immediately, I will tell him to make for the southern bank - that way Ser Vladimir can support us when we board the Riverfly. If Longpalm refuses or tries to make a run for it, we will revert to the original plan and board her here on the river. Any questions?"

    OOC: If there are no questions, Timon will let Walton get on with getting the men to suit and prepare for action, while Timon does the same. I'm assuming he was travelling with his sword and shield, but perhaps no armor. I didn't request it specifically, but I hope it's okay to assume that Walton also brought Timon's armor from Templestone. If so, he will have brought the mail armor with him but left the brigandine in Reedtown.

  2. #82
    Defender of the Word
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    90

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quenton

    Ferret straightens back up and wipes his mouth and nose on the back of his sleeve, leaving a trail like a slug’s on the rough fibers. He grasps his shirt with both hands, pulling it out so that he can see it better, as if this will help him remember where it came from. The shirt is a long one, long enough to not require breeches. It’s a simple spin of wool yarn and some straw, with some low-slung pockets stitched in. “I think I was robbed. He took my clothes and left his.” Next he fingers the belt, turning the steel buckle and feeling the holes punched in the leather. “And then I nicked this because the roughspuns were flopping all about.” He checks the pockets again. “The money I earned.”

    For the first time that day, his voice strikes a prideful pitch. “Some men deigned to challenge me to a game of wits. The subject was armies, and I performed splendidly. We took turns naming numbers of footmen, knights, pikemen, archers, and so on under a certain lord. My opponent drew House Frey and as luck would have it, I drew House Leyburn—well the master of games drew for both of us, but nonetheless the Gods smiled on me. I put him to shame, and he was a knight himself. Ser Joren, his name was, and he takes a fox for his sigil. No doubt he’ll be scouring that one off right away. He would be better served by a stone or lunk of wood!” The vomit and change of subject seem to have invigorated him. “He hung in for a bit, long enough for us to get to the hard subjects, like names of commanding serjeants, garrison locations, salaries, stores of arms and such. But I dispatched him in the end. His purse fetched me two whores, the finest wines—from bottles, mind you—and a little fun in the dicehalls. Why, I could have lived off his coin for…” His face falls a bit as he realizes what he’s saying. “Well, a long time if I became a hermit and had no fun.”

    You’ve never heard of this Ser Joren.


    Ser Timon

    Captain Harn springs into action, ordering his crew to secure the sails in a certain manner and then take the oars. The men-at-arms scramble up, trying to stay out of the way. The archers have lit the two pitchpots and strung their bows, while the others retrieve their helmets and polearms, taking care to try and keep the telltale glint of steel below the edge of the boat.

    Moonspirit shifts into a graceful sprint, smoother than before. You can see now that Harn’s men have better synchrony and timing at the oars—the boat is gliding, instead of jerking forward with each stroke. They’re also rowing harder, seeing as they will not have to row for long. However, speed has a price. Only two crewman aside from Harn are off the oars. Both are preparing grapnels and occasionally easing the rigging lines to control the slack.

    For a few minutes, Riverfly continues her pace, hauling hard. Still, Moonspirit gains on her steadily. But when the distance is just a hundred yards, she draws in her oars and slows, allowing Moonspirit to draw close.

    At twenty yards back and to the side, you catch a view of a commotion on her deck. The crewmen are standing tense and not at any discernable post, some of them reaching for poles or other tools. Up at the bow, two unshaven men in boiled leather are facing them and shouting. Lew Longpalm is up closest to them, yelling something back. He’s tall and broad, as you remember, with black hair falling to his shoulders and a clean-shaven face. A moment later, the Longpalm draws his sword. Both men follow suit, standing off against captain and crew. Back near the till, you spot Jax, Ryk’s son. He’s perhaps eleven years old and has Ryk’s curly hair, barely visible above the side of the boat.

    OOC: I think it’s reasonable that Timon would have sword, shield, and mail with him at Reedtown and would have brought them on the chase.

  3. #83
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    228

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad

    Seeing that they've been spotted by their allies on the river, Vlad orders the colors posted to their original position.

    With no other option Vlad and the other riders continue their pursuit on the land.

  4. #84
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    340

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Ser Timon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Captain Harn springs into action, ordering his crew to secure the sails in a certain manner and then take the oars. The men-at-arms scramble up, trying to stay out of the way. The archers have lit the two pitchpots and strung their bows, while the others retrieve their helmets and polearms, taking care to try and keep the telltale glint of steel below the edge of the boat.

    Moonspirit shifts into a graceful sprint, smoother than before. You can see now that Harn’s men have better synchrony and timing at the oars—the boat is gliding, instead of jerking forward with each stroke. They’re also rowing harder, seeing as they will not have to row for long. However, speed has a price. Only two crewman aside from Harn are off the oars. Both are preparing grapnels and occasionally easing the rigging lines to control the slack.

    For a few minutes, Riverfly continues her pace, hauling hard. Still, Moonspirit gains on her steadily. But when the distance is just a hundred yards, she draws in her oars and slows, allowing Moonspirit to draw close.

    At twenty yards back and to the side, you catch a view of a commotion on her deck. The crewmen are standing tense and not at any discernable post, some of them reaching for poles or other tools. Up at the bow, two unshaven men in boiled leather are facing them and shouting. Lew Longpalm is up closest to them, yelling something back. He’s tall and broad, as you remember, with black hair falling to his shoulders and a clean-shaven face. A moment later, the Longpalm draws his sword. Both men follow suit, standing off against captain and crew. Back near the till, you spot Jax, Ryk’s son. He’s perhaps eleven years old and has Ryk’s curly hair, barely visible above the side of the boat.
    Heartened by the scene on the Riverfly, Timon steps out into the open and motions for Ryk and Ser Walton to join him. "Ser Walton, I think it's time to let them know exactly who they're dealing with. Raise our colours and then ready the men to board on my word. I'll take command of the archers for the moment. Ryk, with me," Timon continues then turns and heads for the bow once more. As they walk he fires off questions in rapid succession. "Those two knaves shouting at the Longpalm, are they the same men that argued with Nolla and Holly? And I believe you said there were three men - can you see the third man anywhere on deck? Which one of the ones you can see seemed to be in charge?"

    When they reach the bow, Timon speaks to the archers posted there. "Men, a demonstration of force may be necessary to end this quickly. Nock your arrows and stand ready to loose at the targets I indicate."

    As the Moonspirit comes alongside the Riverfly, Timon shouts across to men milling about the deck. "Ahoy the Riverfly! I am Ser Timon Leyburn, and I am here to dispense the King's Justice in the name of Ser Ethan Leyburn, Knight of Templestone. Lay down your arms at once and prepare to receive a boarding party. Resist, and it'll go ill with you!" As he delivers his threat, Timon raises his right hand, the signal for his archers to draw their bows and for the infantry to step forward, weapons at the ready.

    OOC: The idea here is for Ryk to fill Timon in on the identities of the armored ruffians as they move toward the bow. As I understand it, the archers should have a fairly clear shot at one or both of them. Depending on if we can spot the third man, he's also a possible target.

    If Timon's commands aren't met he intends to have the archers kill one of the ruffians as a demonstration. The chosen target will be whomever Ryk indicates wasn't the ringleader - I want to catch that one alive, if possible.

  5. #85
    Defender of the Word
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    90

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Ser Timon

    Ryk hurries to your side. “That’s them.” His relief at seeing Jax unharmed is easily apparent. “The leader is the one in front and I don’t see the third.” All around you, the archers are taking up positions and setting their feet. Ser Walton reaches up and pulls the twine slipknots on the standard. The Leyburn flag catches the wind and billows out, red and white flashing as the wind snaps it about. The archers nock and the other footmen jostle behind them, trying to stay out of the way and keep their balance.

    The nerves and tension remind you of your last river engagement, one that ended with King Daeron’s Fist run aground, a hundred soldiers drowned, and a fifth of Reedtown in flames. It would not take much to make this a better day than that one.

    Some of the Riverfly men take notice of Moonspirit’s maneuvering and start to stare. Behind you, Captain Harn is shouting orders to his crew, guiding his craft close and easing up on the oars so as not to overpass her. They take in the starboard oars just as you shout your ultimatum and the archers draw.

    Lew Longpalm swivels his head, keeping up his guard against the two men. “Ahoy, Moonspirit! You’ll find no resistance here. Lash us tight and let’s sort—Uhhhhn!” The nearest man lunges forward and lands a mean slash across the Longpalm’s ribs. “Traitor!” yells the man. “And craven!” His following backhand is not meant to connect, and Lew takes the opportunity to shuffle backwards a bit, opening up space unless his opponents mean to surrender the higher deck on the bow.

    OOC: You can take your shots now if you like. There are five archers. Three have Marksmanship 3 (Bows 2) and two have Marksmanship 4 (Bows 1). All of them have 3 Agility and are armed with longbows. I’m ruling that a moving ship is similar enough to a steed to trigger the Unwieldy quality, but only for a -D penalty. I think after the dust settles, that leaves three shots at 4 dice, take 2 highest, and two shots at 4 dice, take 3 highest.


    Ser Vlad

    You can see Timon’s boat catching up to Riverfly. They seem to have slowed and you’re not exactly sure what’s happening. Perhaps a boarding action?

    You’ve passed into the lands of House Roote by now, so there is little concern of Lothston knights accosting you.

  6. #86
    Keeper of Secrets
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    228

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad

    Seeing that the boats had slowed down, Vlad orders the column to slow down in order to try and match their speed.

    "Be alert, now is when their allies will attack...if they have any." Vlad says relaying a simple order down the line.

  7. #87
    Inceptor
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    23

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quenton

    Ferret straightens back up and wipes his mouth and nose on the back of his sleeve, leaving a trail like a slug’s on the rough fibers. He grasps his shirt with both hands, pulling it out so that he can see it better, as if this will help him remember where it came from. The shirt is a long one, long enough to not require breeches. It’s a simple spin of wool yarn and some straw, with some low-slung pockets stitched in. “I think I was robbed. He took my clothes and left his.” Next he fingers the belt, turning the steel buckle and feeling the holes punched in the leather. “And then I nicked this because the roughspuns were flopping all about.” He checks the pockets again. “The money I earned.”

    For the first time that day, his voice strikes a prideful pitch. “Some men deigned to challenge me to a game of wits. The subject was armies, and I performed splendidly. We took turns naming numbers of footmen, knights, pikemen, archers, and so on under a certain lord. My opponent drew House Frey and as luck would have it, I drew House Leyburn—well the master of games drew for both of us, but nonetheless the Gods smiled on me. I put him to shame, and he was a knight himself. Ser Joren, his name was, and he takes a fox for his sigil. No doubt he’ll be scouring that one off right away. He would be better served by a stone or lunk of wood!” The vomit and change of subject seem to have invigorated him. “He hung in for a bit, long enough for us to get to the hard subjects, like names of commanding serjeants, garrison locations, salaries, stores of arms and such. But I dispatched him in the end. His purse fetched me two whores, the finest wines—from bottles, mind you—and a little fun in the dicehalls. Why, I could have lived off his coin for…” His face falls a bit as he realizes what he’s saying. “Well, a long time if I became a hermit and had no fun.”

    You’ve never heard of this Ser Joren.
    Quinton

    The expression of Quinton's face is one of disbelief and scrutiny, the young man not appearing to accept Ferret's story. "Stole /your/ clothes?" he asks, his voice not hiding the incredulity in the least. Neither of them wore exceptionally made clothes and it's difficult to accept anyone except the most desperate individual would want their clothes. Quinton must believe the clothes that Ferret has on now, while not fitted well, are no step-down from what he was wearing before. Regardless, Quinton doesn't wait for a response to the question, instead targeting the odd tale of gambling on logistical matters.

    "And what fool would gamble on something so ridiculous as those specifics?" the young man fires off. "You're not being honest with me," Quinton tells his compatriot. "And if you're not honest with me, there's nothing I can do to help you. Ser Garland will have you hung by your toes and whipped if we come back empty handed. Now..." Quinton takes a shallow breath in, trying to calm himself without overwhelming his senses with the foul stench emanating from Ferret. "... what did you do with the purse? Can we still buy the leathers and get out of here in one piece?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •