Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Timon

At the mention of Joren the Fox, Timon's expression darkens with momentary fury and he fairly spits out a name from between gritted teeth: “Quickfinger!”

Taking a deep breath, he manages to calm himself enough to continue addressing Captain Longpalm, though his tone is still short. “Very well, Captain. Your tale has the ring of truth to it, and if Jax corroborates your story, then I am of a mind to ask Ser Ethan to be merciful in the matter of the murders and the kidnapping. There will still be a price to pay for your crimes, but you may at least look forward to keeping your head and other assorted body parts.”

“The contraband is another matter. Smuggling a traitor's gold and mint is high treason, and passing judgement on such crimes is a matter for the King himself...or his Hand.” Timon pauses momentarily to let the implicit threat of Lord Bloodraven's involvement sink in. “I will be honest with you – the best House Leyburn can do is to put in a good word for you if you wish to appeal for clemency. However, every word we utter in support of a traitor invites retribution from our enemies, so any aid we give you will depend on what you're prepared to do to make up for your crimes against the crown.”

“I will now interview this Lew, and then decide how to proceed with this mess. Is there anything more you can tell me about this fellow that would be useful? For instance, he's old enough to have fought in the rebellion. Has he mentioned any allies from then or now, apart from Joren the Fox? What was his relationship with Stiv and Rom like – personal or businesslike? And has he mentioned any particular grievances since you first met? Oh, and one more thing. The commission you were shown – who has it now?”

OOC: Once Longpalm has answered Timon's questions, Timon will send him out and have Lew brought in to the cabin for interrogation. But before bringing in Lew, he will inform Ser Walton of Longpalm's story and have Walton check it with Jax. If Jax is up for it, I'd also like Walton (perhaps with Ryk's assistance) to gently press him about anything else he might have observed of Longpalm's interaction with the brigands and anything the brigands may have let slip in Jax's presence.

I'm suggesting having Walton handle this instead of Timon doing it himself so we don't get bogged down further by my slow posting pace. Hope that's okay with you.

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quinton

The pen surprises you with its lack of befoulment. There’s dung aplenty mashed into the dirt and straw, but the relentless sun has baked it away to shrivels and dust. All the animals seem to have retreated into the thatched hut itself, where a weighted sheet hangs instead of a back door. From within, a few pairs of goat’s eyes peer out at you and you catch the sound of a man or woman snoring. On days like today, many of the smallfolk do the work of the day in the early and late hours, sleeping in between.

Counting the coins seems to take forever in the heat, but eventually you have the sum: Nine gold dragons, nine hundred and thirteen stags worth of silver (after properly accounting for a few silver moons), four hundred and fifty-three pennies of copper (accounting the groats and such), and fifteen hundred and twenty tin chits. Assuming you’re right that the chits pass as silver stags, you have more than enough to procure the barding.

There’s still no sign of the gambling men or the knight in the street. You seem to have lost them.
    Quinton

Pulling the crown-issued currency out of the pot, Quinton places it in a purse, which he cinches and then hands to Ferret. However, he doesn't immediately let go of the bag. Instead, he tries to lock eyes with the older boy and says as sternly as he can manage in his youthful tone, "Keep it out of sight. And do not run off with it again. If you do, I'll leave you where I find you next time." With his 'threat' conveyed, Quinton relinquishes the money to Ferret's care. Gathering up the tin chits in another purse, he leaves the helmet in the pen and stands upright. "Let's head to the mill and get these exchanged... afterwards, we'll make way to tannery and get what we came for and leave town as quickly as possible. I don't want to be here another minute than I have to," he tells the other boy.

That said, Quinton sets off - with Ferret in tow - for the mill in attempt to exchange the chits for coin.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

“I understand the crown’s judgment will be harsh, but I pray that it will fall heaviest on the knowing traitor and not the blind fool of a smuggler before you.” The Longpalm swallows hard and continues. “My passenger Lew was tight of lip and stern with his men. They were four in the beginning, but then one morning there were three. Lew told us to not bother searching for the man. I say he murder’d him, but it’s not the place of a captain to investigate such things, ‘specially given the contraband. Their band seemed to know each other well enough, but with a hardness underneath. A companionship of circumstance, or perhaps duty. Whatever duty criminals know. In any case, it wasn’t love. He was unkind to the drunkard you sent to the shore, but he didn’t dare put more bodies in the water. I take him to be nearing forty—certainly old enough to have seen battle in the rebellion.” He thinks for a moment when you mention the commission. “Lew showed it to me in Pinkmaiden, and said I would receive it with my payment at Harroway town. I think the fox knight holds it in waiting. The chests were so heavy that I thought it would be impossible for them to play me false and make off with them before I laid hands on my payment.”

When you dismiss him, the Longpalm mouths his thanks, and shuddering with shame and fear, takes his leave. Meanwhile, Ser Walton has finished his questioning of Jax, who since the rescue hasn’t left Ryk’s side. Walton debriefs you, before your interrogation of Lew. “The boy was snatched and roughed up a bit on the way, but no lasting harm. He doesn’t know precisely why he was taken, but he understands it was to threaten his father into silence. He names the leader as the cruelest and the drunk as the sweetest. They meant to set him free at Harroway’s.”

Next, the other Lew is brought to your cabin, still in fetters. He’s sullen and silent, waiting for your to make the first move.

Quinton

Ferret seems to still be in a bit in a daze. The wrestling and retching and running has left him spent in the heat. He’s taken a seat in shade of the pen and fans the edge of his tunic back and forth. When you’ve finished counting and entrusted the coin to him he tucks it away and falls in line.

The mill is a towering stone structure with four broad flaps of tarp and hickory spreading like a flower’s petals from the top. Without a breeze to stir them, they rest in place without so much as a creak. You find the door open just a crack. Peering in, you see the great millstone at rest, lying beneath pulley and chain, as well as some raftered silos of unmilled grain. The air is full of motes of powdery dust, which float in and out of visibility as they catch the light. Beneath, the flagstone floor is covered in a thin film of chaff, but you catch the dull sheen of yet more tin chits there as well. Across the room, there’s a worktable covered in all manner of ungainly steel tools, as well as some scattered chits. You hear a clinking noise, and notice a fleshy man splayed up against a bale of sod. He wears a suit of leather overalls that he’s peeled off his bare chest, and he’s got a bottle of wine in hand. Glancing up listlessly, he squints at you. “Whaddayawant?”

Defender of the Word

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Quinton

Ferret seems to still be in a bit in a daze. The wrestling and retching and running has left him spent in the heat. He’s taken a seat in shade of the pen and fans the edge of his tunic back and forth. When you’ve finished counting and entrusted the coin to him he tucks it away and falls in line.

The mill is a towering stone structure with four broad flaps of tarp and hickory spreading like a flower’s petals from the top. Without a breeze to stir them, they rest in place without so much as a creak. You find the door open just a crack. Peering in, you see the great millstone at rest, lying beneath pulley and chain, as well as some raftered silos of unmilled grain. The air is full of motes of powdery dust, which float in and out of visibility as they catch the light. Beneath, the flagstone floor is covered in a thin film of chaff, but you catch the dull sheen of yet more tin chits there as well. Across the room, there’s a worktable covered in all manner of ungainly steel tools, as well as some scattered chits. You hear a clinking noise, and notice a fleshy man splayed up against a bale of sod. He wears a suit of leather overalls that he’s peeled off his bare chest, and he’s got a bottle of wine in hand. Glancing up listlessly, he squints at you. “Whaddayawant?”
    Quinton

Cautiously entering the mill, Quinton lingers in the doorway as he takes a look about the lifeless mill. He notes the unkempt state of the mill, especially the chits shinning through the chaff on the floor. Blinking, he seems a bit befuddled as to why the mill is like this, but the sound of the clink from the shadows of the mill snaps him out of his gaze. Quinton's eyes immediately jerk towards the man in the leathers, staring at him as he inquires about his presence in the mill. Now fully entering the main room of the mill, Quinton clears his throat and approaches the man with feigned purpose - like he belongs there. Stopping about ten feet away, Quinton looks the man over - almost with a bit of disgust at his present state - and then locks eyes with him. "I'm here to trade in these chits for coin," Quinton tells him, pulling at the purse a little to make the chits jingle against one another and give the man the idea this isn't some minuscule trade. "Where's your bookkeeper?" Quinton then asks, looking about the room once again, as if expecting someone other than the wine swilling individual before him is there to handle such a transaction.

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

The man blinks a few times, and his eyes uncross a bit. “I am th’bookkeeper, an’ the miller, an’ the bloody wine-drinker.” He burps quietly. “You’re not like to find much coin here, unless y’want more tin.” He gestures to the opposite wall and you spot yet more tin chits stacked neatly in a wooden tray. “Oh yes, I’ve plenty tin. Soon enough, so will we all.” He takes another swig from his bottle and flops the bottle down against his leg without letting go.