Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

Quinton

The young man nods his head in acknowledgement and gratitude of Ser Gerold's words, his eyes briefly darting towards Ser Joren as his 'shots' are first mentioned. When Ser Hayford is mentioned, Quinton's eyes come back to bear on Ser Gerold and he responds softly, "It was the least I should do." With that, the boy goes quiet again, allowing Ser Timon to share what information he has with Ser Gerold and to assess how to properly treat Lord Roote's newest "guest".

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon and Quinton

Lord Roote nods pensively as Timon explains the plot. “Seven above this is complicated. Lychester soldiers turned brigand, Leo Darry, Zachery Lychester, Shawney . . .” Wincing, the Lord scoots off the table to a standing position. He favors his wounded leg as he paces about. “As you recommend, I will not put Balon Lychester to question on such thin grounds. Indeed, I will release him and apologize for the misunderstanding that led my men to accost him. As for Shawney, you may remain here to intercept the barge if you wish, or if not, my customs officer will take it upon himself to do it. I won’t stage a mummer’s farce to induce the codeword—easier to just search and seize the cargo of every Shawney barge. Of course, such an unusual measure will require certain courtesies. I shall send a rider to Shaw Tower informing him that such a standing search order has been issued.”

“Our efforts should not stop there. We should make every effort to ensure that it is us, and not some other, who alerts Lord Rivers. And Johanna Tully for that matter. I will recall my heir Robar and drill the garrison, so that Lord Shawney is not tempted into rash action.”

Ser Timon

It does not escape you that Roote’s plan would give forewarning to Shawney, should the rider arrive before the barge departs. Lord Quincy is proposing to allow Shawney to abandon the plot without losing face or admitting treason. Timid. Wise?

Keeper of Secrets

Timon

"I agree - even if we could coerce Joren into becoming our catspaw, there's too many ways our trap could be sprung prematurely to make it worth the effort. But seizing the cargo of every Shawney barge while giving Lord Shawney fair warning? I doubt the wisdom of such a course of action, my lord. For the moment, we have the upper hand, but if Shawney is alerted, he will surely act to distance himself, and any other conspirators will disappear even further into the shadows. They may even find the means to turn the tables on us."

"Would it not be possible to manufacture some pretext for searching Shawney's barges that would not require an explanation ahead of time? For instance, you were attacked by brigands in the streets of your own town - who could reasonably protest if you responded by swiftly cracking down on smugglers and other criminal elements? You could have your customs officer search all of Shawney's barges as they come in, but include enough other vessels so as to make it less obvious that his ships are being targeted."

"As for alerting Lord Rivers - I had previously considered recruiting Ser Mychel for that purpose, though at the time I had hopes of having more evidence on hand. But if you are willing to risk it, we might bring him into the fold now. And if not him, then it must at least be someone whom we know has the Hand's ear and who we can trust not to turn on us."

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

The young man at Ser Timon's side nods his head in agreement with the knight's suggestion, his eyes looking towards Lord Roote as if to heed his advice. "Or a medical emergency," Quinton then offers, almost absent-mindedly as his tongue gets ahead of his brain. "You are always hearing about ports being shut down for outbreaks and the such. There could be a recent spread of rot or disease that you might want to prevent?" It's at that point Quinton's mouth and brain fall into sync and he remembers his place in this conversation. An apologetic glance is cast towards Ser Timon and his head lowers slightly.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon and Quinton

Quincy shakes out a kerchief and uses it to mop his brow and the top of his head. “Timon, you’re a talented bailiff. But this affair is now more politics than investigation. Each of these proposed steps—inducing Shawney’s treason, unusual searches—will send up beacons as to my intentions. Beacons that could be misread. Even if the pretext is something neutral, like a disease, as your man suggests, the truth will out eventually and the other lords will nurse their private theories for why I mislead them. With Harroway Town as the venue, allowing Shawney to complete his part in the conspiracy could itself be seen as treasonous, especially if our ploy is somehow botched. If we lay the trap and it fails, the crown and others may become suspicious of us. If it succeeds, Lord Shawney might come down on Harroway Town with flame and steel. Of course, if Lord Bloodraven instructs us to take these steps, we will take them.” He limps over to the table where his maester has left a number of scrolls, ink, and quills. “I intend to send a raven to King’s Landing informing Lord Bloodraven of all that we know, as well as an identical one to Tully. Better to apprise them in my own words, rather than rely on a messenger such as Mychel Hayford. I do not fully trust Hayford for a number of reasons: his subterfuge in entering my town without making himself known to me, his attack on my smallfolk, and his choice to take service with such an . . . unconventional fighting force. However, if you believe our position will be advanced by informing him of what we have uncovered, I have no objection to telling him what we know—after I send the letters.”

Ser Timon

You’re a touch surprised to hear of his suspicion of the Raven’s Teeth, although you are aware that some lords object to the idea of an armed force loyal to a single man, rather than to a noble house. Lord Bloodraven was granted lands and incomes in the Crownlands by King Aegon IV, but he has neither taken a wife nor named an heir. Some see the Raven’s Teeth as a threat to the order of the realm.
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 06-03-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited in dialogue reflecting Quinton's suggestion

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

Well this is a fine time to lose your nerve, my lord... Timon thinks, trying to keep his exasperation from showing.

"My lord, you are of course quite correct that this matter is a far graver concern than the apprehension of mere murderers and highwaymen. It would certainly be a comfort to know that, if you are to search any of Lord Shawney's vessels, then you would be doing so with the approval of the King's Hand. And sending a raven to Lord Bloodraven and Lord Tully would certainly be the swiftest way of finding out if the powers that be would be supportive of such an action."

"But I still worry that it would be foolish to show our hand early when it comes to Lord Shawney. If you do decide to order a search of his vessels, then I pray you will at least send word to Lord Shawney using a very old, very slow horse. I, for one, would be more concerned about Lord Bloodraven's reaction if you first inform him of the plot and then act in such a way that Lord Shawney is given an opportunity to cover his tracks, than if you were seen to act decisively against the treason being committed in your town."

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton

Having remembered his place, Quinton kept his mouth shut for this conversation, especially as it seemed Lord Roote had lightly scolded Ser Timon for his suggestions. Instead, the young man flicked his eyes between the two men as they postured themselves in more flowery language than he could ever attempt to use himself. Quinton did not seem anxious, frightened, or upset. Instead, you young man appeared intrigued by the banter and dialogue, like an audience member at an enthralling performance, standing in the front row.

Keeper of Secrets

Quinton and Ser Timon

“If the flaw in my plan is that the Bloodraven might be outsmarted by the likes of Garlon Shawney, I will rest easy tonight. Hide or conceal as he might, he will not escape what is coming for him.” Lord Roote unstoppers a bottle of ink, while his maester smooths a parchment for him. He begins bobbing a quilltip in the ink. It is a well-practiced action.

“The King’s Hand is known for his willful, even . . . controlling, nature. I do not assume that he would prefer me to plunge ahead rather than stand down. Indeed, my course of action will prevent treasonous activity from occurring in my town.” Turning his eyes from you to the parchment, he begins to write.

“There is also great danger in provoking Shawney. He may be equal parts stupidity and wroth, but he is nothing if not a natural commander. And he has nothing to lose. I’m not certain I could keep him from crossing the river. Many of my men are still off fighting Ironborn.” He shoots a reproachful look to Timon and takes a pause from writing. “You would do the same if Reedtown were exposed to such peril. Now, it seems we are in agreement that letters should fly. If you can accept my course of action, I will allow you to read the contents of my letters—even provide you a copy, should you desire it—and accommodate any further sniffing about you need to do in Lord Harroway’s Town.”

Ser Timon

You can tell that his lordship has made his mind up. He keeps turning the conversation away from conspiracy, proof, and subterfuge—your areas of distinction—and toward things like diplomacy and warfare, where he knows you lack the authority to make binding promises on behalf of your house. It is true that your nephew often follows your counsel, and has occasionally bestowed on you powers more fulsome than most stewards. But at the same time, committing to something like Leyburn reinforcements for Harroway Town is beyond what you can do without first consulting Ser Ethan.

Quinton

When Lord Roote starts writing on the parchment, you know it’s serious. Marks in ink have a power that words do not. There is a special force in ink and pages. Almost a magic. Writing on a page can make or unmake a lord, if it comes from the King, and a written accusation can cause strangers to clap a man in irons. Dark wings, dark words.

Keeper of Secrets

Ser Timon

"I pray that you are correct regarding both their lordships, my lord, and I will press my case no further," Timon replies in as mollifying a tone as he can muster. "But I believe our two houses are in this together now, and we would do well to pool our resources until the current crisis has passed."

"If you wish it, I could speak to Ser Ethan about making a more formal commitment to aiding House Roote. Lord Shawney might think twice about invading your lands if he thereby risks bringing House Leyburn into the fray. At the very least, he would have to divert some forces to prevent our freeriders from burning his domain while he marches against Lord Harroway's Town."