Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 281

Thread: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

  1. #11
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    202

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Mason

    The Sunderland boy puffs himself up a bit, quick to defend his conquest. “I assure you, she was sweet as a summer rose!” He takes the wineskin and lays flat on his back, guzzling at it. Now prostrate, he goes on, “Oh it’s no secret that Lord Shawney makes the occasional trip to Tyrosh. Most Riverlander lords are not so cultured as to venture beyond the narrow sea. But his daughter Gwenyth lives there and so he comes to visit and see his grandson.” He props himself up on his elbows. “Of course, he doesn’t have a herald announce his travels to King Aeys’ court, but I assure you, half the Riverlands know, which means the Bloodraven knows. A thousand eyes and one, they say he has. Well, you should know! Weren’t you squired to some hedge knight who lives fat on Bloodraven’s coin?” He gives you a look of mock reproach and makes a tsssking noise.

    “Say what you will of Brackens and half-Brackens. I’ll take them over a one-eyed sorcerer. And the Tyroshi are wonderful. That’s where I was going: I may have fathered a bastard on a Tyroshi lass with hair the color of the sea, all blue and green. I mean to take another two Tyroshi lovers with the same hair to match my house’s sigil.” The Sunderland sigil is three women’s faces on a field of wavy green and blue, one for each of the Three Sisters. It’s well known that the Sisters are a wretched enclave of smugglers and worse, although Royce seems no different from any other man you’ve met of your age. Royce seems lost in thought, but soon returns. “That’s right, I forgot about that whole Blackwood-Bracken rivalry. Is that still going on?” Such a statement would be laughably ignorant for a Riverlander to say, but perhaps the Sunderlands have no maester to teach them history.


    Vlad

    The other knights stiffen when you pull the bow from the bushes. Ser Leslyn readies his axe and shield, falling in behind you. Ser Bennard’s smile has melted into a frown. He pulls his greathelm over his head and straps his shield on, falling in behind Ser Leslyn. Ser Willis follows suit, donning his helm with visor up and draws his bastard sword from his saddle scabbard. Not knowing what else to do, the two body servants follow as well. The six of you begin down the trail, which turns out to be a fairly winding path. After a couple hundred feet of twists and turns the trail opens into a small clearing.

    In the center of the clearing are a group of scruffy men in Lychester colors—orange and white tabards, though dirty and ripped. They have swords belted on and some of them carry polearms and shields besides. Three of them have the look of knights about them, as they are mounted and wear mail or breastplate overlain with personal coats of arms. The one in the center draws your attention. He sits atop Ser Leo’s roan courser, comfortable as you like. Leo himself is lying facedown in the dirt, hogtied and gagged. You count five Lychester men afoot and three ahorse. You seem to have caught them unawares.

    OOC: The Lychester men are about 14 yards ahead.

    The initiative order:
    Vlad 3d6 8 (tie goes to you based on Agility dice)
    Lychester men 2d6 8
    Allied knights 2d6 5

    Initiative is presented in case you want to take advantage of the surprise. You may negotiate instead, but if negotiations break down, I'll reroll initiative.


    Kyle

    Lord Shawney nods happily. “Tom’s command has been slowly righting the house. As I was saying, this will be the best tourney in years! With a dragon’s egg as prize…as you say, it must be worth a fortune. The bloody Targaryens have nigh every egg in the Seven Kingdoms but this one. It’s like they’re afraid someone else will be able to hatch one. Dragon’s blood, my arse!” He seems to have veered towards near treasonous talk, as he often does when it’s just the two of you. “In the days of the Conqueror, the Targaryens had true blood and fire. They had the dragons and they had the sword. Now the sword is forgotten and none of Daeron’s sons or grandsons can bestir any of those Targaryen eggs. You know they put dragon eggs in the cradle of their newborn princes?” He shakes his head and leans forward to splash a little water on his wrists. “Oh, it will be a tourney to remember. Now, I must be going. I’ve got to prepare for my ride home tomorrow. Perhaps I will see you tonight in the Great Hall when we sup?”

    OOC In terms of inheritance, daughters inherit if there are no sons. Butterwell’s daughter is his heir, meaning that Tom would become lord and may even change his name to Butterwell in order to secure his rule. Lord Shawney’s exiled daughter is his heir, which puts her Strickland husband in line to be the next lord. Assuming that they are barred from inheritance by reason of their exile, Lord Shawney has a male cousin, Alyn, who would be next in line. Ser Alyn is a household knight of House Tully, but presumably would quit his post in order to inherit.


    Timon

    Ryk turns to take a look at his men daubing the holes. “It’s my smoke room. The rains got in and spoilt my meats as they were curing.” Indeed, you do remember that the Fist is known to smoke venison and beef in one of the warship’s bulkheads and serve the same in the gambling hall. Ryk continues, “I decided to plug up the chimneys. The blasted meats brought more trouble than flavor and it’s best to limit fires on a ship like this.”

    His face is impassive, difficult to read. Feeling the silence closing in, Ryk begins to offer a bit more. “It was a normal night on the Fist last I saw them. The ale flowed out and the coins flowed in and those two left for Lady Jonquil’s midnight sermon. The witch saw a blasted comet and now she holds her court at night, often as not. The gangwalks and jetty can be dangerous at night!”

    OOC: Your read target action yields no information and Ryk fails to influence you. Also you're right about the initiative! It was supposed to be 12, not 13. Not sure what I was thinking.

  2. #12
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Kyle

    Lord Shawney nods happily. “Tom’s command has been slowly righting the house. As I was saying, this will be the best tourney in years! With a dragon’s egg as prize…as you say, it must be worth a fortune. The bloody Targaryens have nigh every egg in the Seven Kingdoms but this one. It’s like they’re afraid someone else will be able to hatch one. Dragon’s blood, my arse!” He seems to have veered towards near treasonous talk, as he often does when it’s just the two of you. “In the days of the Conqueror, the Targaryens had true blood and fire. They had the dragons and they had the sword. Now the sword is forgotten and none of Daeron’s sons or grandsons can bestir any of those Targaryen eggs. You know they put dragon eggs in the cradle of their newborn princes?” He shakes his head and leans forward to splash a little water on his wrists. “Oh, it will be a tourney to remember. Now, I must be going. I’ve got to prepare for my ride home tomorrow. Perhaps I will see you tonight in the Great Hall when we sup?”

    "The dragon will find its fire before long. I doubt the fire went along with Blackfyre. I will be there tonight. Lord Leyburn has made me one of his advisors, so I will be partaking of the feast. Might I suggest present the invitation there."
    Last edited by Corrigon; 10-29-2016 at 07:54 AM.

  3. #13
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    263

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad

    Vlad watches the scene unfold around him. Seeing the young lord bound and gagged brings a sneer to Vlad's face. Spurring his horse down the trail and drawing his sword Vlad shouts "We need survivors...one of the knights preferably!" Vlad then directs his full attention on the supposed leader sitting atop the young lords horse.

    Attack roll-
    fighting w/ sword: 7d6k5 25
    total=25

  4. #14
    Protomolecule Host David Rosenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    42

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Wate - “He says my leathers are brittle and gone to rot. I say, hang him by the neck with one of my leather thongs and see if it breaks!”

    Ser Ethan to Wate – “Did I give you leave to speak?”

    <OOC – Intimidate Roll for ‘effect and entertainment purposes’ Intimidate: 4d6k3 12 >

    Turning to Pard, Garth, and the wondering wife. “Pard! You are a Boatwright, not a Justiciar or Headsman. I think you need to be reminded of this. You will provide canoes and kayaks to our skirmishers free of charge – the ‘house factor or purchaser’ will provide you with materials. You will provide the labor. You will also pay the costs to repair the damage you have caused.”

    To the wife – “You are guilty of adultery. The law is that you will be struck upon your naked back six times by a birch rod no thicker than my thumb. It is so ordered. Afterwards, you will present yourself to the Septon for further punishment and or atonement as he sees fit.”

    To Garth – “You need a sheath for your sword. You have one turn of the moon to find yourself a wife. If you fail to do so, I will find one for you…..and you will not like my choice. If you are found a bed with another man’s wife again, your manhood is forfeit.“

    Ethan turns to the bickering leatherworkers and wrinkles his brow. Softly, almost to himself, but loud enough to be heard. “OK people – this is the issue. These two are competing for my business.” Turning to the Greenarm “It bothers me that your reputation is such that these charges of slander cannot be dismissed outright. I also think you are afraid that you will lose my business.”

    Not one damn word Wate!!” Ethan pauses. “It also bothers me that you believe me so inconstant that I would not consider your loyal service. Do you think you would be dismissed without cause?” Another pause.

    Turning to Wate - “Wate, you are a braggart and impertinent. AND...you must be a fine leather worker to be getting the patronage of my knights.”

    To himself – “That’s right you bastard, you just got your Lord’s praise. Take advantage of it.”

    To Wate again – “What damages do you claim from these rumors?”

    (OOC – Empathy Test to see if Wate lies about his damages - Check for Lying (Empathy): 4d6 11 )

    (OOC - Sorry for the extended absence. I am trying to get re-engaged, but I still have a few more weeks to go.)

  5. #15
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    478

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Timon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Ryk turns to take a look at his men daubing the holes. “It’s my smoke room. The rains got in and spoilt my meats as they were curing.” Indeed, you do remember that the Fist is known to smoke venison and beef in one of the warship’s bulkheads and serve the same in the gambling hall. Ryk continues, “I decided to plug up the chimneys. The blasted meats brought more trouble than flavor and it’s best to limit fires on a ship like this.”

    His face is impassive, difficult to read. Feeling the silence closing in, Ryk begins to offer a bit more. “It was a normal night on the Fist last I saw them. The ale flowed out and the coins flowed in and those two left for Lady Jonquil’s midnight sermon. The witch saw a blasted comet and now she holds her court at night, often as not. The gangwalks and jetty can be dangerous at night!”
    Timon gives a noncommittal grunt in return. "A normal night doesn't usually end with two of your girls floating in the Ley with their hands bound. Did you or any of your staff notice anyone taking a particular interest in either of them before they left?"

    Influence (Convince): 5d6k4 14

    OOC: Does Timon know how the girls were killed? You wrote that their hands were bound, but was there any sign of violence beyond that?

  6. #16
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    202

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Kyle

    Lord Shawney steps out of the water bucket and begins laboriously pulling his boots on with his single hand. It’s hard to know what to do in such situations. The man’s damnable squire ran off to go drink with Mason and now his lord is struggling most ungracefully. Eventually, he finishes and stands straight, nodding to you. At your mention of Blackfyre, he nods solemnly, but frowns a bit when you suggest the fire did not continue there. “I for one look forward to seeing Blackfyre in the hand of the King.” It’s a tactful thing to say, especially for Lord Shawney, but at the same time it remains open to interpretation. Of which King does he speak?

    With that, Lord Garlon Shawney begins down the spiral stone steps, making for his guest chambers no doubt.


    Vlad

    Your rounsey leaps forward at the touch of your spur, barreling straight at the knight astride Ser Leo’s horse. The men-at-arms have no time to react and the Lychester knight has barely begun to raise his shield when you strike. Your blow shortens him by a head, striking just above the flared lip of his breastplate and just below the edge of his helm and jaw. It goes flying, separating from the helm as it goes.

    Chaos erupts around you as the Lychester men rush to counter. The two other Lychester knights wheel towards you, shouting and hammering at you with sword and mace, one on each side. You catch a glimpse of a footman hurling a spear, and hear the whang of it deflecting off of someone’s armor. There’s a terrible crash and a horse’s scream, as well as the crunch of steel biting through armor and flesh. Ser Leslyn’s horse runs by, riderless. On your right, the knight with sword in hand and a clam device on his shield is working hard to keep you at bay, fighting a defensive exchange. His compatriot on your left is his opposite, dropping all defenses to clash his shield into yours and bash your armor with cruel, heavy blows.

    As you pivot, you can see the state of the field. Ser Leslyn and Ser Bennard Roote are down, with torn and bloodied armor. Only two Lychester footmen remain on their feet, one being pressed hard by Ser Willis’s bloody sword and the other straining hard against a crossbow stirrup. The other three look dead, each one struck down or trampled by a Darry or Leyburn knight. You’re vaguely aware of Ser Leo Darry on the ground to your left, still trussed up like a roast turnip, squirming against his bonds.


    OOC: Closing 14 yards takes up a double move for your mount, meaning you have to charge in order to still attack. That imposes –1D, but +2 damage. Thus, your best four dice result in 21 instead of 25, which is still good for 4 DOS. Your base damage of 5 is increased to 7 by the charge, so you deal 28 points of damage. His armor soaks 5 and 23 points get through. You easily defeat him. Also, I believe you forgot your bonus die from expertise, not that it mattered this time.

    The knight to your right rolled a 6d6b3 10, hitting for 1 DOS and 5 damage, which your armor absorbs. The knight to your left hits for 7d6b4 23, 3 DOS and 18 damage, reduced by your armor to a total of 9 damage dealt to you. Both benefited from +2 damage from their mounts not moving this round.


    Ethan

    Pard and Garth accept your lordly justice with solemn nods. They each head for opposite doors as soon as it’s clear you’re done with them. Pard’s wife moves off as well, no doubt in search of your uncle, Septon Kyle.

    When you ask his damages, Wate’s face twists up in thought. It’s clear that the possibility of measuring his harm in any precise term had not yet occurred to him. Smallfolk as a rule are not prone to thinking in sums, especially when it involves the possibility of future earnings. Finally, Wate suggests a number. “A dozen, dozen silver stags?” It’s enough to buy fifteen head of cattle or even a steel polearm or bludgeon. It’s not an unreasonable suggestion. You expect that one of Wate’s suits of boiled leather can be had for not much more than that. If the Greenarm’s slanders are real, you’d expect Wate to have lost out on a couple such sales. Sometimes it’s hard to understand the value of such small sums. The clothes you’re wearing now are worth far more, and you have many more of the same. Wate’s price could fetch a quarter the value of a fine battle-trained courser. You’re quite sure he’s not trying to trick you.


    Timon

    A bead of sweat appears on Ryk’s brow as your line of questioning turns back towards the Fist. “Well, it was a fairly normal night I’d say—rowdy at times, to be sure. I pitched a few men out for passing shaved coins, another for drawing steel when his friend failed to pay a gambling debt. Lord Shawney’s squire had a streak of luck, but he pissed it all away going all in on a single throw of the dice. A shame for him too. He had Nolla and Holly on each of his knees for half the night, casting dice with one hand and groping with the other. Learned the hard way that the whores move on when the silver dries up. Per’aps you should question him. He’s a sisterman though—duplicitous and half-pirate, mostlike.”

    This could be more misdirection, but it’s hard to say. Lord Shawney is uncouth and prone to treason against the crown, so it’s not surprising that he has a sisterman for a squire. The Three Sisters have a sour history, having been ruled by pirate kings, Northmen, and the Arryns of the Vale. They fancied the Black Dragon and likely will fancy the next idiot rebel.

    OOC: Your convince attempt is successful for 2 DOS and 6 Influence, minus Ryk’s DR. Ryk either failed to influence you or took an action that doesn’t result in influencing you.

    As to your question, they appear to have drowned. There are no obvious wounds.

  7. #17
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    478

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Timon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    A bead of sweat appears on Ryk’s brow as your line of questioning turns back towards the Fist. “Well, it was a fairly normal night I’d say—rowdy at times, to be sure. I pitched a few men out for passing shaved coins, another for drawing steel when his friend failed to pay a gambling debt. Lord Shawney’s squire had a streak of luck, but he pissed it all away going all in on a single throw of the dice. A shame for him too. He had Nolla and Holly on each of his knees for half the night, casting dice with one hand and groping with the other. Learned the hard way that the whores move on when the silver dries up. Per’aps you should question him. He’s a sisterman though—duplicitous and half-pirate, mostlike.”

    This could be more misdirection, but it’s hard to say. Lord Shawney is uncouth and prone to treason against the crown, so it’s not surprising that he has a sisterman for a squire. The Three Sisters have a sour history, having been ruled by pirate kings, Northmen, and the Arryns of the Vale. They fancied the Black Dragon and likely will fancy the next idiot rebel.
    Duplicitous and half-pirate? You'd know all about that, wouldn't you One-Hand? Timon thinks, but keeps his expression carefully neutral while pondering what to do with this new information. At any rate, you're awfully keen to throw leads my way today, aren't you? At least as long as they point me away from the Fist...

    Action: Consider for +2B to any one test during the next exchange.

  8. #18
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    263

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Vlad

    Vladimir feels the blow from the mace and knows it got past the armor. Shrugging it off as best he can Vlad stays in the fight knowing that the only way, that any of them would make out, is to end the fight quickly. Turning his anger at his two opponents Vladimir swings his sword in a heavy slash at the more offensively fighting opponent. The fighter with the mace.

    OOC- Vlad took 9 damage in the attack. Ill have him take an injury...which erases 4 points of damage, thus letting 5 get through. His health should be at 7. The injury will impose a -1 on the end result of all tests.

    Attack-
    Attacking mace wielding knight: 8d6k5 23

    Total- 23
    -1 for injury= 22
    +1 to the end result from haunted= 23
    Final total- 23

  9. #19
    OPA Belta
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Kyle

    He watched Lord Shawney leave, pondering the future. If they were going to a tourney, then that would be a prime opportunity to learn more about Lady Jonquil. She was becoming a problem.

  10. #20
    Protomolecule Host David Rosenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    42

    Re: (IC) Black Dragon Rising

    Ethan frowns....”Wate, I will give you a chance to redeem yourself. You will make make me a suit of fine (read 'superior' and I am leaving the 'hard' vs. 'soft' up to him) leather armor. You will be paid for this work. Should your work meet my standards, I will make good your loss (12 silver stags).”

    Turning to the Greenarm “I am unable to find you guilty of a crime. You should be thankful to the seven for my forbearance and the fact that I demand proof before judgement. I expect that we have heard the last of these rumors, yes?” The threat in this statement should be clear to all but the dimmest of lack-wits.

    <OOC – Intimidate Roll for ‘effect and entertainment purposes’ - Intimidate: 4d6k3 15 >

    To the crowd - “We are finished here.”

    As Ser Ethan leaves, he savors the cool wine that Master Odryn brought him. He can't quite shake the feeling that he missed some important fact. “I should run today's cases by 'The Septon' and Timon” he thinks to himself.

    Ser Ethan starts letting go of the tension of the judgement seat. As he relaxes, Ethan find himself walking around the Templestone.

    OOC: I am leaving this a bit open ended so either the GM can direct me somewhere or one of the other players in Templestone can 'hail' me if they so desire.
    Last edited by David Rosenberg; 11-06-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •