Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

OPA Belta

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

I should have a post up tomorrow or the next day--my schedule shifted around a bit and I'm still adjusting.

OPA Belta

Joren locks eyes again with Timon. “There are many channels in these lands, but only one of those Rivers is worth following, no matter where he leads. You knew my backer the moment you laid eyes on me.”
    Okay, so I must admit that this has me thoroughly stumped. I am in need of some OOC guidance here.

If it's a reference to Quickfinger, which seems the most likely option, it's seems unnecessarily coy. It's not like Joren's association with Quickfinger is a secret to anyone of importance in the room. And if it is him, it's a pretty weak pay-off for having won an intrigue, since there are no real clues I can see that Timon can use to find Quickfinger. I even went back and checked to see if you'd put in something special about Joren during the ambush, but there's nothing to indicate any third party there.

So if it's not Quickfinger, then the name Rivers is pretty much a dead end. It could be anyone from Bloodraven to Gareth's bastard sons to Bittersteel himself. Some are more likely candidates than others, but there's really nothing to work with to work out who it could be.

So, yeah. Does this mean that the only solid lead Timon's going to get is that Shawney is probably the party that's going to be sending the barge to pick up the gold?

OPA Belta

I meant for the reference to "Rivers" to be understood as a fairly obvious, if melodramatic, reference to Quickfinger. In retrospect, I think I missed the mark, especially due to the fact that I already pulled oblique-reference-instead-of-name thing with Shawney.

So yeah, I think the takeaway was meant to be that Quickfinger orchestrated the plot and Joren believes that Shawney will be supplying the gold. I think you may also be able to generate more leads with some follow-up questions.

Apologies for the confusion! I always strive for confusion only when the narrative warrants it!

OPA Belta

Regarding Balon Lychester's involvement with Joren, while Quinton did draw that conclusion, I don't think that it follows axiomatically from the narration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Behind you, the tent flap opens and the shaggy giant of a man strides out, pausing to hold the flap open. Behind him comes the well-dressed dwarf with the mustache, waddling to keep up. The dwarf steps upwind of the vomit-stain on the ground and spits, then addresses you. "Found your wayward boy-at-arms, have you? I have to say, his spewage was as sweet last night as it is sour now. I've never known drunkenness to coexist so comfortably with the love of facts and figures, the maesterly love--" He pantomimes reading a book with one hand and jerking off with the other, grinning at his own joke. He turns to Ferret. "But something tells me you're no Oldtown novice. Or is that your plan? You can't expect the Leyburns to take you back now."

Ferret looks confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Sensing Ferret’s reluctance, the dwarf smooths his vest and turns back to you. “I’m Balon Lychester, son of Lord Ryman and heir to Lychester castle. That last part always seems to surprise people, especially when I meet them in a shithole like this. So you’re a pair of Leyburn guardsmen or grooms or something? Or should I say one-and-a-half?” He glances back at Ferret, and draws a finger across his own neck. Ferret is still a bit hunched over as he recovers and doesn't see.

You know House Lychester’s colors orange and white, that their lands are immediately south of the Leyburn lands, and that theirs is a new charter, just as with the Leyburns. Another house raised up and landed by King Daeron after the rebellion.

The dwarf continues carrying on. “I met Ser Ethan Leyburn once or twice, back before his father passed. He’s got that impatience that some Leyburns have—his bastard brother is another. Whatshisname. Leonid. Leopold. Lyonel. That’s it, Lyonel Rivers. Once, when we were at a mutual negotiation, our host brought a Lyseni whore and Ser Lyonel gave in to every demand so that he could retire with the whore. Impatient.” You’ve never heard of this Lyonel Rivers.
    I would draw from that only that Lychester was present or otherwise knows about Ferret's "game of wits," during which Ferret was fleeced of information, but made a great deal of coin. However, it's also possible that I got lost in the maze of my own narration and forgot something.

Thoughts?

OPA Belta

I think you're spot on. Quinton has a suspicion about Balon, but that's more from the glee he took in Ferret's misery and the pompous nature - not exactly hard and cold facts about his involvement. Given the money involved as well, he thinks Lychester may have bank rolled Joren to get the information out of Ferret.

OPA Belta

Since Timon has no knowledge of Quinton's actual encounter with Balon, he's working off the information Quinton volunteered in the post I linked to. I also wrote Timon's response the way I did to let Quinton into the conversation, since I interpreted Jewdebega's last post as him wanting to say something about the connection between Lychester and Joren. If Quinton wants to clarify his earlier statements, then all is good. Otherwise, Timon will just have to keep operating on possibly faulty intelligence (though another denial on Joren's part may just result in Timon remaining suspicious of Lychester).

OPA Belta

Looks like the forum ate my attempted response to this last night.

I think we're all on the same page--I wanted to be sure that I didn't create the OOC impression that Joren is still withholding, although Timon may take it that way regardless.

OPA Belta

I had wondered whether there might be more to the story of Ferret's misfortunes than is immediately obvious from the IC thread so far, but not to the point that I've been convinced that Balon Lychester is an active conspirator in the counterfeiting plot.

@Jewdebega
    Do you want to interject in the interrogation or should I go ahead and wrap it up?

OPA Belta

Hallooo? Is there anybody out there, or am I now trapped in my own echo chamber?

OPA Belta

Sorry, I was giving Jewdebega a chance to post, since I believe he's been quite busy IRL. I'll post later on today.