Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    Take your time and feel better soon!
    IC post is up! And my cold has moved from being mentally incapacitating to mostly just a really nasty cough. OTOH, my son is sick instead, so I'm still pretty much distracted...

Keeper of Secrets

I'll be traveling over the next several days, so no post until next week.

Keeper of Secrets

Message received.

Keeper of Secrets

Sorry for the delayed response. The holidays sucked me in. But I'm back and ready to catch up.

Keeper of Secrets

That's what holidays are for. Welcome back.

Keeper of Secrets

I'm now back as well, and will have a post up soon-ish.

Happy new year!

Keeper of Secrets

Not quite time for it over here yet, but no need to wait: Happy New Year to the both of you as well!

Keeper of Secrets

So contemplating my next move here... I'm still learning the ASOIAF combat system. A couple of quesitons:

1.) With the rider being within 3 yards, what negative impact does that have on Quinton's marksmanship if he were to fire another arrow?

2.) Are there any penalties for the rider having moved? I know you take a -1D penalty for sprinting targets.

Right now, I'm considering: (a) putting an arrow in the horse in an attempt to throw the rider or (b) using the bow like a pole-arm, if allowed, to knock the rider from the horse.

Thoughts?

Keeper of Secrets

1) Nope. There are no penalties for using a Marksmanship weapon at close ranges, or even when adjacent to an opponent.

2) Also nope. The sprint action is distinct from a charge or other movement, so the penalty die shouldn't apply to your attack.

(b) There's a specific Greater Action for pulling a rider from a mount (p. 164), but it requires an actual pole-arm or a Grab weapon, e.g. your bare hands. You have to beat the rider's passive Animal Handling (+Ride bonus dice) with a Fighting test.

If you choose to try and pull Joren from his horse, don't forget the lighting currently gives you -2D on Marksmanship tests, but also -1D on Fighting tests. Attacking the steed would have the added benefit that it's a large target (p. 154), so it should have a -2 penalty to its Combat Defence (which I don't think has been included in the stats in the rulebook).

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Jewdebega View Post
    So contemplating my next move here... I'm still learning the ASOIAF combat system. A couple of quesitons:

1.) With the rider being within 3 yards, what negative impact does that have on Quinton's marksmanship if he were to fire another arrow?

2.) Are there any penalties for the rider having moved? I know you take a -1D penalty for sprinting targets.

Right now, I'm considering: (a) putting an arrow in the horse in an attempt to throw the rider or (b) using the bow like a pole-arm, if allowed, to knock the rider from the horse.

Thoughts?
    Everything rax said is correct. I would also allow you to use the bow as an improvised polearm to try and unhorse Joren. However, the sub-par nature of the weapon for this task would impose a -2D penalty on top of the existing -D penalty from the lighting, so it's probably not a viable option.