Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

UN Basic Recipient

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

So, I'm new to SIFRP, I haven't ever played and have no idea how Warfare or Intrigue works. I'm more familiar with House and Combat rules but, again, I haven't ever played and there are many specific rules I'm not familiar with.

I've just created a character (still working on it, tbh) and, if there's room, I'd like to play. As of right now the only IC thing I read is the 1st post of this OOC thread, in which not even the Region had been defined yet. I've no idea who the characters are nor what happened to them, I'll be reading more as I wait for a reply.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Hallooo? Is there anybody out there, or am I now trapped in my own echo chamber?
    Posted. Sorry. It's been a bit hectic and my brain is slowly starting to reboot.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Jewdebega View Post
    Posted. Sorry. It's been a bit hectic and my brain is slowly starting to reboot.
    I accidentally just posted without realizing you had also posted. I'll edit in Quinton's narrative now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xereca Envolvente View Post
    So, I'm new to SIFRP, I haven't ever played and have no idea how Warfare or Intrigue works. I'm more familiar with House and Combat rules but, again, I haven't ever played and there are many specific rules I'm not familiar with.

I've just created a character (still working on it, tbh) and, if there's room, I'd like to play. As of right now the only IC thing I read is the 1st post of this OOC thread, in which not even the Region had been defined yet. I've no idea who the characters are nor what happened to them, I'll be reading more as I wait for a reply.
    If you're interesting in learning more about the game, I would recommend starting with the first IC post, which lays out the setting, as well as maybe the Characters and Setting thread. Following that, the basics are that the PCs are investigating some treasonous activity and have just managed to peel back enough layers of the conspiracy to reasonably identify some of the relevant actors. Warfare is not super important to know at this point, and Intrigue can be run almost exclusively through roleplay anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (though ability scores still matter in terms of diplomatic ability).

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    If you're interesting in learning more about the game, I would recommend starting with the first IC post, which lays out the setting, as well as maybe the Characters and Setting thread. Following that, the basics are that the PCs are investigating some treasonous activity and have just managed to peel back enough layers of the conspiracy to reasonably identify some of the relevant actors. Warfare is not super important to know at this point, and Intrigue can be run almost exclusively through roleplay anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (though ability scores still matter in terms of diplomatic ability).
    Is this a yes?

I've got to page 21 of OOC so far. If that was a yes, how could we explain my char showing up out of nothing?

Also, in the meanwhile I made this family tree for the House, sigils are all wrong and I couldn't find the House's current one (the only one that's right is Paege's):

I'm thinking on a crossbowman as a char, hopefully one that is somewhat well-rounded for intrigues. I'm wary of creating an intrigue-based char as of right now as I'm still figuring out how it works.

OPA Belta

Am I the only one that got an update message concerning this thread because Xereca had posted, but now there doesn't seem to be any such post at all?

Edit: ...and I'll try and get an IC reply up later today.

UN Basic Recipient

Am I the only one that got an update message concerning this thread because Xereca had posted, but now there doesn't seem to be any such post at all?

Edit: ...and I'll try and get an IC reply up later today.
    I replied thrice actually

1st post was me asking to Ser heretic whether his reply was an 'yes' regarding my participation, it also had a link to a family tree I made of House Leyburn so it's been retained by the mods and I've got no idea when they'll approve it, or whether they will.

2nd post was me assuming his reply was an 'yes' and presenting a character sheet, still in the works. I edited the post some 50 times, changed stats here and there, made questions, erased then, ventured the possibility of playing as Ser Walton Strong then changed my mind, etc.

Then some days passed and Ser heretic had been on but didn't answer me so I made the 3rd post to ask whether that actually was an 'yes' because I'd spent quite some time creating a character and if it was actually a 'no' then I'd rather know it before sinking more time.

All in all, right now I'm more interested in a game with daily updates or so, reason why I no longer think I'd be a good fit for this one but I'll be sure to check the IC thread every once in a while to see how you're progressing.
    Last edited by Xereca Envolvente; 06-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.

UN Basic Recipient

Trying to post the tree without the url to see if it goes:
    Retainers aren't in and the coats are all wrong because I repurposed it from another game (only one that's ok is House Paege, if you get one for Leyburn let me know and I'll edit it in).

Last edited by Xereca Envolvente; 06-06-2018 at 12:05 PM.

OPA Belta

All in all, right now I'm more interested in a game with daily updates or so, reason why I no longer think I'd be a good fit for this one but I'll be sure to check the IC thread every once in a while to see how you're progressing.
    I can't speak for Ser heretic concerning any of your other questions, but if you're looking for a game with daily updates, I can guarantee that this one isn't it. When things are moving along at top pace we might average a post every other day, but there are frequent periods where we only manage an update about once a week. That's often down to me being bogged down at work or dealing with other RL concerns, none of which are likely to change any time soon. On the bright side, we've managed to stay the course for almost two years now, so this pace works for us (or maybe it's just me... ).

OPA Belta

I replied thrice actually

1st post was me asking to Ser heretic whether his reply was an 'yes' regarding my participation, it also had a link to a family tree I made of House Leyburn so it's been retained by the mods and I've got no idea when they'll approve it, or whether they will.

2nd post was me assuming his reply was an 'yes' and presenting a character sheet, still in the works. I edited the post some 50 times, changed stats here and there, made questions, erased then, ventured the possibility of playing as Ser Walton Strong then changed my mind, etc.

Then some days passed and Ser heretic had been on but didn't answer me so I made the 3rd post to ask whether that actually was an 'yes' because I'd spent quite some time creating a character and if it was actually a 'no' then I'd rather know it before sinking more time.

Hey, sorry it took a couple days to respond. We take things a little slower here and I think I was a bit confused by the forum eating your first post. I appreciate your interest in the game (especially the family tree) and learning a lot of the complicated backstory that we invented.

As rax mentioned, we have reached a certain rhythm for the game that seems to work for everyone--things ebb and flow, but we don't get much faster than a post every other day. Most of that is IRL stuff, but there's also sequencing involved if, for instance, I want to wait a few days to see if the players want to trade conversation posts for a bit, as well as some reflection and editing time. I sometimes draft stuff and sleep on it, just to make sure I'm developing the plot in the right way, not contradicting something I wrote eighteen months ago, not contradicting established ASOIAF canon, and maintaining consistent and (hopefully) compelling NPCs. All of that takes time.

If you're still interested in a game that runs at that type of pace, then I encourage you to let us know what kind of roleplaying experience you're looking for and what type of character you'd like to play.

UN Basic Recipient

I can't speak for Ser heretic concerning any of your other questions, but if you're looking for a game with daily updates, I can guarantee that this one isn't it. When things are moving along at top pace we might average a post every other day, but there are frequent periods where we only manage an update about once a week. That's often down to me being bogged down at work or dealing with other RL concerns, none of which are likely to change any time soon. On the bright side, we've managed to stay the course for almost two years now, so this pace works for us (or maybe it's just me... ).
    Sure, I'm not asking to have it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic
    Hey, sorry it took a couple days to respond. We take things a little slower here and I think I was a bit confused by the forum eating your first post. I appreciate your interest in the game (especially the family tree) and learning a lot of the complicated backstory that we invented.

As rax mentioned, we have reached a certain rhythm for the game that seems to work for everyone--things ebb and flow, but we don't get much faster than a post every other day. Most of that is IRL stuff, but there's also sequencing involved if, for instance, I want to wait a few days to see if the players want to trade conversation posts for a bit, as well as some reflection and editing time. I sometimes draft stuff and sleep on it, just to make sure I'm developing the plot in the right way, not contradicting something I wrote eighteen months ago, not contradicting established ASOIAF canon, and maintaining consistent and (hopefully) compelling NPCs. All of that takes time.

If you're still interested in a game that runs at that type of pace, then I encourage you to let us know what kind of roleplaying experience you're looking for and what type of character you'd like to play.
    Thank you for the offer, if things change then maybe I'll be contacting you in a few years, aha.