Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Quote Originally Posted by Jewdebega View Post
    If you want to talk through it more, I'm certainly game.
    Since our characters are meeting up IC for the first time, I think now would be an excellent time.

I mentioned Ser Vladimir because Ser heretic wrote in the Timon post that Quinton had squired with him, but Quinton could just as easily have squired with one of the NPC knights without it making a real difference as to whether or not Timon would now about him. Timon is - or was, if Ser heretic wants it that way - the steward of House Leyburn as well as its bailiff, so I see him as taking an equal interest in the house's finances and in upholding the law. That means he spends a lot of time in Reedtown, but also regularly attends court at Templestone, so he would know all of the house's officers and knights personally. After all, House Leyburn is fairly small and low status, so even if there's a clear hierarchy in the house, it's still a pretty informal operation.

If Quinton has been in attendance to one of the house's sworn swords or officers, then I think it's very likely that Timon will at least know him both by sight and by name, even if he doesn't know much about him. However, I see Timon as the sort of guy who's always collecting useful information about people, so if any of Quinton's skill at archery, stealthiness, "sticky fingers" or service with the Raven's Teeth have ever come up in his presence, Timon would likely have taken note. And now that he knows Mychel Hayford is in town, any known connection to Bloodraven would probably instantly pop up in his mind.

As for Quinton's actual status in the house, and how we can roleplay him being the low man on the totem pole without turning him into a lackey, I'm not too worried about that. IC and OOC, Timon will listen to good ideas wherever they come from, as long as they're presented in a palatable manner. I.e. Quinton is smallfolk, so he should speak respectfully to Timon and remember that when Timon gives an order he expects it to be followed, but other than that he cares more about running an efficient operation rather than standing on ceremony. And if you're a loyal servant of the house, he'll be loyal to you in return.

OOC, I expect Timon to be giving orders to Quinton in crisis situations such as the one the characters are in at the moment. But, I'll always try and do it without micromanaging and as far as possible taking into account what we each want to achieve in the game. Of course, this will be a whole lot easier of our characters actually share the IC goal of preserving and protecting House Leyburn. If so, our interests should largely align when it comes to plot points of major significance, even if our methods for achieving those goals may vary.

Oh, and one thing I've been wondering about from the start - have you and Ser heretic decided who gave Quinton the job of buying barding in Lord Harroway's Town?

Keeper of Secrets

I know @heretic was a bit adverse to having Quinton in a "lesser role", such as Vlad's squire, for roleplay purposes. I'm honestly not opposed to it, or having been his squire in the past and now either without a knight or in one of those in-between phases. I really haven't figured out where he would be in the house structure beyond the general idea that he's the low man on the totem pole, as it were.
    I'll leave this up to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    I mentioned Ser Vladimir because Ser heretic wrote in the Timon post that Quinton had squired with him, but Quinton could just as easily have squired with one of the NPC knights without it making a real difference as to whether or not Timon would now about him.
    We can rewrite this if necessary, but my assumption so far is that Quinton was previously Vlad's squire, but no longer is.

Timon is - or was, if Ser heretic wants it that way - the steward of House Leyburn as well as its bailiff, so I see him as taking an equal interest in the house's finances and in upholding the law.
    Either way is fine with me--I almost included the steward title in my last IC post, but left it out because I thought the sentence read better without it.

If Quinton has been in attendance to one of the house's sworn swords or officers, then I think it's very likely that Timon will at least know him both by sight and by name, even if he doesn't know much about him. However, I see Timon as the sort of guy who's always collecting useful information about people, so if any of Quinton's skill at archery, stealthiness, "sticky fingers" or service with the Raven's Teeth have ever come up in his presence, Timon would likely have taken note. And now that he knows Mychel Hayford is in town, any known connection to Bloodraven would probably instantly pop up in his mind.
    One other thing to remember is that Quinton's connection to Brynden Rivers pales in comparison to that of Sweetsteel, who is openly on Bloodraven's payroll. So yes, I expect Timon would be able to draw the connection between Quinton and Hayford, but he's probably also thanking his lucky stars that Ser Fern isn't with him to gum up the situation.

Oh, and one thing I've been wondering about from the start - have you and Ser heretic decided who gave Quinton the job of buying barding in Lord Harroway's Town?
    I deliberately left that vague so that we could develop the NPCs and Quinton's role in the house. It could have been Ser Brendan, who commands the cavalry, but it also could have been one of his serjeants or some other NPC with quartermastering duties. The only real constraint is that Quinton came from Templestone, so it's got to be someone who was at Templestone some days ago.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    One other thing to remember is that Quinton's connection to Brynden Rivers pales in comparison to that of Sweetsteel, who is openly on Bloodraven's payroll. So yes, I expect Timon would be able to draw the connection between Quinton and Hayford, but he's probably also thanking his lucky stars that Ser Fern isn't with him to gum up the situation.
    It's dawning on me that I may not have been paying enough attention to the situation "back home".

Defender of the Word

I mentioned Ser Vladimir because Ser heretic wrote in the Timon post that Quinton had squired with him, but Quinton could just as easily have squired with one of the NPC knights without it making a real difference as to whether or not Timon would now about him.
    Let's operate under the assumption that Quinton had squired for Sir Vlad in the past, but was discharged in his services for one reason or another (nothing regarding poor performance or lacking character) and is now serving in the auxiliaries. We can presume he is being groomed to enter the service somehow and gain experience when he's put a more meat on his bones and is of an appropriate age (probably less than two years out).

If Quinton has been in attendance to one of the house's sworn swords or officers, then I think it's very likely that Timon will at least know him both by sight and by name, even if he doesn't know much about him. However, I see Timon as the sort of guy who's always collecting useful information about people, so if any of Quinton's skill at archery, stealthiness, "sticky fingers" or service with the Raven's Teeth have ever come up in his presence, Timon would likely have taken note.
    Quinton's archery skill will probably not have come up nor would his adeptness in thievery beyond rumors or suggestions. On his own accord, Timon might notice the kid does just seem to pop up out of nowhere. He seems to have a knack - intentional or not - for disappearing into crowds and then just reappearing. Forget being seen and not heard.

I've got no issues with the chain of command - it's feudal society after all. As long as I have a way into roleplay, I'm fine with being tasked to do things at Timon's discretion.

Do we need to settle on anything else?

Keeper of Secrets

Do we need to settle on anything else?
    No, I think that'll do for now. We can always add more if we feel like it in our IC posts. I'll try to get a post in during the weekend.