Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

OPA Belta

OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Black Dragon Rising

"How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes and one."–unknown singer

I.

Fifteen years have passed since Daemon Blackfyre rebelled against King Daeron II Targaryen, but the ashes of the Black Dragon have not settled easily. King Daeron sowed salt on the rebels, stripping lands and titles, taking hostages, and issuing death sentences for the exiles who fled with Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers, Daemon's half-brother and right-hand man. Daeron’s newfound mettle—he never took the field against Daemon—was shortlived. He died in the Great Spring Sickness along with many others.

His son Aerys Targaryen, crowned two years ago, is a fruit from the same tree—bookish, learned, but detached from ruling. He relies heavily on his Hand, Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers, who rules with an iron fist. The Bloodraven is unquestionably the most powerful man in Westeros. In addition to his powers as Hand, he commands a network of spies throughout the realm and is said to dabble in sorcery. His hatred for his half-brother Bittersteel knows no bounds and he is singularly focused on preventing the return of Bittersteel and Daemon's sons.

II.

The years since the rebellion have been marked with tension and mistrust. Loyalist lords have used their neighbors’ support for the Black Dragon as a pretext to extract concessions in the form of silver, land, and marriage. The former rebels seeking pardons fell all over one another to point fingers at each other and claim coercion. Meanwhile, King Daeron’s punishments seemed to touch even those houses that remained neutral or had members on both sides of the conflict. Such bitter rewards have turned some houses against the crown. And after Daeron’s untimely demise, men could not help but wonder what would have happened if Daemon, a true warrior chosen by his father to wield the sword of Aegon the Conqueror, had sat upon the Iron Throne, rather than the bookish, vindictive, and frail Daeron.

King Aerys’ reign has been even darker. Lord Bloodraven would beggar the realm if it meant ending Bittersteel and Daemon Blackfyre’s remaining sons, and his obsession has already cost the Seven Kingdoms dearly. Brigands run wild on the roads and the crown has taken no action in the face of a terrible drought. Dagon Greyjoy reaves up and down the coast but the royal fleet remains poised on the narrow sea, ever-vigilant against Bittersteel’s return.

III.

Your house has suffered mightily in the wake of the rebellion. Despite having members fighting on both sides, King Daeron stripped some of your lands and empowered your local rivals. The drought and the Sickness have wracked your smallfolk further, and trade has suffered as a result of Ironborn reaving in the north and as far south as the Arbor. It is clear that the grip of King Aerys on the realm is strained. Loyalists grimace, neutral houses whisper, and former rebels dream. Lord Bloodraven’s tenure is both a curse and a blessing to the crown—his misrule is inspiring plots that only his brilliance at spycraft can counter.

A message just arrived inviting you to attend a tourney in honor of the wedding of Lord Butterwell’s daughter to Lord Frey’s son. The wedding is some months in the future, but the guest list indicates that it will include a large number of Blackfyre-aligned houses. You have preparations to make…

Game Information:

Welcome to the prelude to the Second Blackfyre Rebellion! If you have read the novella The Mystery Knight, you know the official history of the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. If you haven't, no worries. We will be rewriting it substantially as we play. I'm looking for 4-6 players, all affiliated with the house in some way. House and character creation is as normal—go by the book but you can choose your starting age and status.

Game Resources
    SIFRP General Errata
    SIFRP Chapter 5 Errata
    A Wiki of Ice and Fire
    List of Loyalist and Rebel Houses from the First Blackfyre Rebellion

Minor House Rules
    • Weapons with the Fast subtype grant +1B to Agility(Quickness) initiative tests in single melee combat.
    • Weapons with the Adaptable subtype may also gain the Powerful subtype when wielded two-handed. This replaces their +1 damage bonus when wielded two-handed.
    • The cost of banner houses is discounted by 5 Power.
    • I have rewritten some of the warfare rules--you can read the changes here. In a nutshell, there are now Light Cavalry and Heavy Cavalry options and the Support unit is actually useful.

Our OOC Agenda
    • Agree on a region and name for the house
    • Develop house stats, holdings, and history
    • Create characters with compelling backstories. Perhaps the most important detail is to say what your character's attitude is towards the (First--they don't know that another one is on the way) Blackfyre Rebellion. Did they fight with the Black Dragon of Blackfyre or the Red of Targaryen? If they are too young, which side did their mentors fall on?
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 09-27-2016 at 07:53 PM.

UN Basic Recipient

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

I Throw in my application here: As things like house name and region is undecided, this may get tweaked and expanded upon later down the line.

Nero (*insert bastard region here)
    His story:
    Nero was groomed for war from an age when his speech was not yet developed. As a bastard son of a minor noblewoman he was never in line of inheritance, and had to fight for his mere survival. The cuckolded husband of his mother barely tolerated him, and so he would need to learn a trade before he was thrust out into the unforgiving world. Piety was out of the question for a man whose birth was a disgrace, and so violence was to become young Nero's craft.

Although little less than a beanbag for his proper born brothers, and constantly shunned by the servants, he had a sister that did not scorn him, and whose mere presence had a way of calming his tormentors. So, when she was married away to house (*insert name here) Nero followed, hoping to take up service for the young lord.

Now thirty years have passed, and he has stayed loyally by his sisters side, serving both her and the house. With violence brewing in the horizon Nero is ready to again take up arms to protect his sister, who aided him through his childhood years, and though age has weakened his body, his mind is still set to fight until anyone threatening his sister lies dead.

Demeanor:
    He cares deeply for his older sister, but towards most others he is distrustful and disaffectionate. If you won't die to protect what you love, you should not love it. This taints his life as he can only die once, he will only give his life for his sister's.
    Although he may be charming enough in conversations, there is always a darkness that lies within him, and this keeps him from getting too close to others. Keep your loved ones close and your enemies dead, this is the key to Neros often unfufilling life, and though he will only admit it to his sister, he often wish his life had led him down a different path...

OOC: I vote for having the house either in the Riverlands or in the Reach, as that is where I find that interesting things usually happens, but as long as the backstory is good I don't care too much.
    Also, my character need a few more people in his life, to make him more organic so if anyone is interested in growing a bit of a backstory with him, I'd be up for discussing it via PMs.
    Last edited by Laughin barrel; 08-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.

OPA Belta

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising (recruiting)

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in as well. Ser Vladimir Kirilov. He'll be a knightly sworn sword that's been loyal to the house for years.

As far as background stories go...he's seeking to improve his station by becoming a landed knight and getting married. He is also up for setting up backgrounds with other characters as well.

OPA Belta

Character concept: Placeholder because I need a few days to settle on a character concept.

House location: The wiki says that battles were fought in the Westerlands, the Reach, the Vale, and the Riverlands during the first rebellion. Since our house was directly involved in the action it would be easiest if we were based in one of these areas.

As for coming events, the Whitewalls tourney is in the Riverlands, so if we want to be close to the action we could do worse than base ourselves in the Riverlands. Since the ironmen are raiding up and down the western coast, setting our house in the Reach or the Westerlands would provide another source of tension.

All in all, my vote therefore goes to the Riverlands, the Reach or the Westerlands. I'm not a huge fan of the canonical Reach, so of these I like the Riverlands and the Westerlands the most.

OPA Belta

I agree...our house should be in either the Riverlands or the Reach. Which of the two would allow us to have more opportunities?

Protomolecule Host David Rosenberg's Avatar

Heya All,

Here is my application to join.

“Agree on a region and name for the house” -

I am not sure I really have a preference that is relevant. Many of my 'preferences' (Crackclaw Point, Narrow Sea, Skagos, Dorne) are likely not suitable for this setting.

“Develop house stats, holdings, and history:”

A question on this – can a PC play the head of the house/heir role? I would be interested in one of the roles if they are open.

“Create characters with compelling backstories. Perhaps the most important detail is to say what your character's attitude is towards the (First--they don't know that another one is on the way) Blackfyre Rebellion. Did they fight with the Black Dragon of Blackfyre or the Red of Targaryen? If they are too young, which side did their mentors fall on?”

Here is a concept I am kicking around. I am assuming that this PC is not a HoH or Heir of this house.

In broad strokes, I am imagining that I am a dispossessed young Lord, either aged Young Adult or Adult. My father would marched with the Blackfyre forces during the first rebellion, and either died in battle or the repercussions that followed. My uncle, who remained loyal to the Targaryans , is now the new Lord and he is active trying to kill me. I would have been a Ward or in hiding (either of this house or another) until very recently. My burning ambition is to reclaim my ancestral seat, and I would approach the rebellion as an opportunity to further that ambition. While I would prefer to revenge myself on the Targaryan Loyalist who killed my pop, I was likely too young when he died to miss my Dad, and would likely side against whoever my uncle supported rather than for one side or the other.

A PC generation question: Do you allow characters to take a 1D at creation?
    Last edited by David Rosenberg; 08-09-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added question regarding PC generation

OPA Belta

It looks like the Reach and the Riverlands are the frontrunners for region, with the Westerlands as another nomination.

My only other note is that Dorne is interesting during this time period. Prior to the rebellion, King Daeron II Targaryen married Princess Mariah Martell and finally bound Dorne to the Iron Throne. In doing so, he allowed Dorne to maintain many of its own laws and traditions and brought many dornish nobles to court, including some that served in important offices. Anti-Dornish prejudice was one of the motivators for the rebel houses. Dorne (with the exception of the Yronwoods) fought strongly for the Targaryens in the Rebellion. In addition, Daeron betrothed his sister Daenerys to the Prince Maron Martell. It is said that Daemon Blackfyre loved Daenerys and that this marriage helped spur him to rebel. All of this informs Dorne's current status. However, given Dorne's powerful loyalty to the Targaryens, it may not be the best place for the PC house.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosenberg View Post
    A question on this – can a PC play the head of the house/heir role? I would be interested in one of the roles if they are open.
    Yes. In fact, I strongly prefer that the leadership roles in the house be taken by PCs. That way the players are in charge of the big decisions and the house's ultimate destiny. We can have house NPCs in the elder positions, but I will very likely incapacitate them somehow so that they are not able to truly lead the house and the PCs will have to take over.

A PC generation question: Do you allow characters to take a 1D at creation?
    Yes, you get +50 XP by doing so, but you can only lower one ability to 1 and you may not take a flaw for that ability.
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 08-09-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar

Protomolecule Host David Rosenberg's Avatar

Heya All,

If there are no strenuous objections, I will draft up the a HoH for GM approval/comment.

My inclination is to tweek the conceptual background to fit a HoH character. As far as House names go, here are a couple of ideas:

Leybourne
    Bar Veer (Suggesting some kind of tie with House Bar Emmon)
    Mattis

Chime in if you have any ideas.

DR

OPA Belta

Hmm, Leybourne and Mattis both sound good for house names. I'm good with either..

Have we reached a decision on where our house will be located?

OPA Belta

Heya All,

If there are no strenuous objections, I will draft up the a HoH for GM approval/comment.

My inclination is to tweek the conceptual background to fit a HoH character. As far as House names go, here are a couple of ideas:

Leybourne
    Bar Veer (Suggesting some kind of tie with House Bar Emmon)
    Mattis

Chime in if you have any ideas.

DR
    No obejctions to you making your character our head of house.

Of your house name suggestions, I think Leybourne is the best fit for Westeros. How about an alternative spelling - Leyburn?

Quote Originally Posted by squadfather40
    Hmm, Leybourne and Mattis both sound good for house names. I'm good with either..

Have we reached a decision on where our house will be located?
    It seems the Reach or the Riverlands are the choices with the most support so far. Perhaps we could put it to a vote? I'll go with the Riverlands.