Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Defender of the Word

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

@heretic - So is Ser Frey between us (Ferret and Quinton) and the stables? Just trying to get a clear picture of what I'm seeing.

@rax - Sorry to hear you're still being plagued by health issues. Hope it resolves itself soon!

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Jewdebega View Post
    @rax - Sorry to hear you're still being plagued by health issues. Hope it resolves itself soon!
    Thanks! I'm taking steps to try and speed up the process, but for the time being, it's quite draining.

Keeper of Secrets

@rax: I'm glad to hear you're getting a little time to relax and get better. It sounds like work was pretty crushing there for a bit.

@Jewdebega: He's in the middle of the road facing you, but the street is wide enough that you can easily run by him without having to swerve too much. Even if he were to try and interpose, it would be difficult, given that you've got the momentum and his mount is at a standstill. The stable is up the road and behind him, so he is between you and the stable.

Keeper of Secrets

What all does Vlad know about Lord Shawney? Any family? How strong of an ally is he of our house?

Keeper of Secrets

I checked up on House Tarbeck on the ASOIF wiki and found that they supported both sides in the first Blackfyre rebellion. Did that happen in our game as well, and if so, is it something Timon would know about? Also, what side did the current Lord Tarbeck support? (again, assuming Timon would know)

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    I checked up on House Tarbeck on the ASOIF wiki and found that they supported both sides in the first Blackfyre rebellion. Did that happen in our game as well, and if so, is it something Timon would know about? Also, what side did the current Lord Tarbeck support? (again, assuming Timon would know)
    In general, I try to keep everything consistent (until the date marked by the first IC post) with the material in that wiki. I'm especially careful when it comes to rebellion loyalties. So yes, in our game as in the canon, the Tarbecks fought for both sides. There are certainly loyalist, rebel, and dual-loyalty houses that aren't mentioned in the wiki, and that's where I get to make it up. But I'll never purposely contradict the wiki on any point of history.

I went ahead and rolled a 3D knowledge check, which resulted in a 12.

Timon has never met Lord Tygett Tarbeck, but he knows that Tygett led House Tarbeck's forces under the Targaryen banner during the early fighting in the Westerlands (where the loyalists were routed), but turned his cloak after being captured, and took to Redgrass Field under the Black Dragon's banner. The Bloodraven's punishments were not so harsh on House Tarbeck--it's said that the Hand is more suspicious of the latecomer-loyalists than he is of the loyalist-to-Blackfyre crossovers. At least the latter had to be bloodied and beaten into their treason.

Quote Originally Posted by squadfather40 View Post
    What all does Vlad know about Lord Shawney? Any family? How strong of an ally is he of our house?
    Vlad knows him reasonably well, and knows all the information about him from the Characters thread, which is reproduced below. Other than that, he's basically known as a bitter, angry, somewhat stupid man who almost-openly wishes that the Blackfyres had won the day. He's known to travel across the narrow sea on a regular basis, doing god-knows-what. He invited House Leyburn to a tourney at Whitewalls, the prize being a dragon's egg. There's quite a bit of material on him in the early IC, which is broadly indicative of his personality. He's generally friendly to Vlad, as he is with any former rebel.

He's a medium-strength ally--House Leyburn is easily his closest ally, but House Shawney just doesn't have a whole lot to offer these days. Given how he was stripped of his castle, lacks an heir or much family, and is generally alienated from polite Riverlands society, there's not a lot to get out of the relationship. I would say that House Leyburn holds Shawney at arms length, but treats with him when necessary and treats him kindly. He is a neighbor and starting trouble with neighbors is risky.

Lord Garlon Shawney

Lord Garlon Shawney is a middle-aged man who lost his arm, his sons, and his castle after he raised the Black Dragon’s banner. He is a fiery man prone to fits of rage and zealous devotion to various omens that he perceives. As the years pass, he has sent wife after wife to the Silent Sisters after each one fails to give him an heir. His bitterness and complete lack of subtlety have alienated him from other lords, who treat with him only when they find it absolutely necessary.

Benefits:
    Pious, Head of House, Connections (Tyrosh), Leader of Men, Talented (Warfare)
    Drawbacks:
    Furious, Maimed, Debt, Wretched (Status flaw), Dullard (Cunning flaw)
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 07-11-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: anwsering squadfather's question

Keeper of Secrets

@Ser heretic
    Sorry for the delay in responding, things got a bit hectic at home.

I'm inching my way towards an IC response, but need to check one more thing concerning the commission to carry bullion with you before I do so. What abilities would be used to detect if it's a forgery or a repurposed original (with just the names changed, for instance)? I can't find anything in the rulebook specifically pertaining to creating or detecting forgeries, but the introductory adventure suggests using Knowledge or Status to discover a forged letter. Is it likely that Timon could detect a decent forgery himself, or would it perhaps be better to let Ryk check it out? He's a smuggler after all, so it seems likely he would have a working knowledge of forgeries.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    @Ser heretic
    Sorry for the delay in responding, things got a bit hectic at home.

I'm inching my way towards an IC response, but need to check one more thing concerning the commission to carry bullion with you before I do so. What abilities would be used to detect if it's a forgery or a repurposed original (with just the names changed, for instance)? I can't find anything in the rulebook specifically pertaining to creating or detecting forgeries, but the introductory adventure suggests using Knowledge or Status to discover a forged letter. Is it likely that Timon could detect a decent forgery himself, or would it perhaps be better to let Ryk check it out? He's a smuggler after all, so it seems likely he would have a working knowledge of forgeries.
    I agree with the use of either Knowledge or Status, and I would even allow Stewardship, or if you've seen the type of document before, Memory specialties to apply. However, the Longpalm does not appear to have this commission in hand, so if you want to examine it, you'll have to get your hands on it somehow.

Keeper of Secrets

I had a little difficulty writing the latest update because I'm 90% sure that I drafted Vlad's narration and then inadvertently saved over it--rewriting it gave me a weird sense of deja vu, because I couldn't quite remember everything I wrote the first time.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ser heretic View Post
    I agree with the use of either Knowledge or Status, and I would even allow Stewardship, or if you've seen the type of document before, Memory specialties to apply. However, the Longpalm does not appear to have this commission in hand, so if you want to examine it, you'll have to get your hands on it somehow.
    I see. I understood the situation to be that Longpalm had been given the commission as part of acquiring his services, but re-reading the post it doesn't actually say that. My bad. Anyway, new IC post is up.