Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Keeper of Secrets

Re: OOC: Black Dragon Rising

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Don't worry, we'll all soon be trapped together. Except Vlad. He gets to ride off into the sunset, mission accomplished.
    I knew I forgot to do something!

Keeper of Secrets

A few quickie questions:

1. From the description, I'm getting that the customs shack is pretty much on the edge of town and that there aren't many people visible in the surrounding area. Is that about right? In other words, does it seem likely that one could just walk past it without anyone raising a hue and cry?

2. Is it likely that Timon has met Lord Roote and his sons in the past? I.e. that he would know them by sight?

3. The description of the Connections benefit says that "You have a number of spies and informants in a particular area". Would it be fair to assume that Timon has one or more informants in Lord Harroway's Town and, if so, can he seek them out directly to try and get a feel for the situation in town and possibly also to recruit some local people to help keep watch on the port? Or do you prefer that we keep things strictly by the book and only use Connections to boost Knowledge tests?

Keeper of Secrets

A few quickie questions:

1. From the description, I'm getting that the customs shack is pretty much on the edge of town and that there aren't many people visible in the surrounding area. Is that about right? In other words, does it seem likely that one could just walk past it without anyone raising a hue and cry?

2. Is it likely that Timon has met Lord Roote and his sons in the past? I.e. that he would know them by sight?

3. The description of the Connections benefit says that "You have a number of spies and informants in a particular area". Would it be fair to assume that Timon has one or more informants in Lord Harroway's Town and, if so, can he seek them out directly to try and get a feel for the situation in town and possibly also to recruit some local people to help keep watch on the port? Or do you prefer that we keep things strictly by the book and only use Connections to boost Knowledge tests?
    No problem.

1. Yeah there's nobody in the immediate vicinity except in the shack. Perhaps if you were to look deeper into the streets and peer between the buildings, you might see someone deeper in going about their business. But for your purposes, you could walk in and nobody would notice. Presumably whoever is in the shack isn't going to raise a cry, and it's not like walking into town is a trespass or anything.

2. Timon has met Lord Roote on multiple occasions and knows him by sight. He's also met Roote's sons and officers at various points, although Timon hasn't interacted with them as much and would require an Awareness (Memory) check to know the sons by sight. I'll work in more of this exposition into my next post. Generally speaking though, Timon has been to Lord Harroway's Town many times on Leyburn business--mostly related to trade agreements, but occasionally for social reasons or to make more personal purchases. Lord Harroway's sees more visitors than Reedtown because of its location on the Trident proper, rather than the Red Fork, and because of the famed crossing barges. As such, it has a slightly stronger economy drawn from travelers, whereas Reedtown is more dependent on port activity.

3. After reviewing Connections and the Spy Network holding from Out of Strife, Prosperity, I would say that Timon has informants/connections/friends in Lord Harroway's Town that he could seek out and speak to. However, if you choose to do so, I will roll a secret Knowledge (Streetwise) check (with the Connections bonus) to help me approximate just how much information Timon's informants know.

One key point here is that Timon's contacts are not full-blown Leyburn spies or loyalists. Unlike the spies from the Spy Network holding, these informants are not paid a full salary for their information and they don't take orders. Maybe some of them are paid on occasion, but their utility to Timon is a relatively small tile in a larger mosaic that is largely built on other, more important relationships and incomes. It's entirely possible that they trade secrets to others, depending on their circumstances and the opportunities that arise. Since these NPCs stem from Timon's Connections benefit, I'll leave it to you to provide a brief description of who these people are (and their apparent motivation for helping Timon) and then we can go from there. As with minor NPCs that have prior histories with the PCs, you're always welcome to fill in backstory with Timon or drop references to personality tics, as long as they don't contradict what we've already written.
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 09-21-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: wrote "no problem" in the quote by accident

Keeper of Secrets

OOC: I have no set idea as to how this game works except that it’s a trick-taking game played with tarot and you can buy the flop cards to supplement your hand.
    And I know next to nothing about card games IRL, so I'll have a hard time keeping up a reasonable description no matter what.

How do you want to play out this scene? Are you looking to have Timon and Bass talk in metaphors to trade information about Joren and the state of the town, or are we going for a brief intro then taking it outside for some plain talking like I suggested? I don't mind doing the metaphors, but it does seem likely to draw out the scene somewhat IRL.

Keeper of Secrets

And I know next to nothing about card games IRL, so I'll have a hard time keeping up a reasonable description no matter what.

How do you want to play out this scene? Are you looking to have Timon and Bass talk in metaphors to trade information about Joren and the state of the town, or are we going for a brief intro then taking it outside for some plain talking like I suggested? I don't mind doing the metaphors, but it does seem likely to draw out the scene somewhat IRL.
    I was going along with the taking-it-outside plan, but I didn't want to rush it and waste an opportunity for a ham-handed metaphor.

Also, there's the lemon-shirted knight to think about. I wasn't sure if you wanted to still go outside if he's interested in you.

Keeper of Secrets

Just realized that I mistakenly wrote "forty thousand" when I meant "ten thousand" men died at Redgrass Field. I'll go ahead and leave it--we'll say Lord Roote mixed it up.

EDIT: Holy shit, yesterday was the one year anniversary of starting this game!
    Last edited by Ser heretic; 10-11-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Happy birthday, umm...game?

BTW, do you have a particular end point in mind for the game, or were you just planning to keep going and see where we end up?

Keeper of Secrets

BTW, do you have a particular end point in mind for the game, or were you just planning to keep going and see where we end up?
    Good question. It's pretty open-ended at this point. Some plot threads are well-developed in my notes and in my mind, but others are more ad hoc. At times, I feel like a cartoon character riding on the front of a locomotive and laying down pieces of track just before riding over them. Other parts are better developed. For instance, I have a reasonably developed sense of what the Blackfyres and Targaryens are up to, which enables me to think about when their activities would be noteworthy enough for news to reach the Riverlands. The same is true for some of the Riverlands houses, but there are too many of them to invent what they're all up to. In addition, it's good DM practice to not get too attached to future plot points, because sometimes upon reflection, they make no sense and need revision, and they can be preempted by PC activities anyway. In light of all that, I think more about backward-compatibility than forward-, although I do try and firm up my understanding of what a given NPC's angle is before beginning any dialogue involving them.

I expect that once the Harroway storyline resolves, we'll proceed into a more sandbox-y mode where we can progress through a couple in-game months and let the PCs drive most of the interactions.

As for an endpoint, I suppose the resolution of the second Rebellion would be a natural place, but I don't have a plan for how that will work, because I want it to depend on how the gameplay goes.

Keeper of Secrets

@Jewdebega

I’ll leave it to you to decide the exact details of what Timon knows already of Quinton. Quinton is young and shy, but also skilled in certain things, including archery and assistant-quartermastering. I imagine Timon has more than a passing knowledge of the more noteworthy men of the garrison. Quinton’s background of previously serving in the Raven’s Teeth seems like something Timon would not forget if he has previously learned it, but I’m not sure he has.
    Re Ser heretic's quote above. How familiar would you like Timon to be with Quinton? If he's Ser Vlad's squire, then Timon will likely have run into him fairly often. Do you think he'll have done anything to gain Timon's attention? As Ser heretic says, Quinton's service with the Raven's Teeth would probably be something Timon would have filed away under "May come in useful some day", but is it something Quinton has told anyone about?

Defender of the Word

I know @heretic was a bit adverse to having Quinton in a "lesser role", such as Vlad's squire, for roleplay purposes. I'm honestly not opposed to it, or having been his squire in the past and now either without a knight or in one of those in-between phases. I really haven't figured out where he would be in the house structure beyond the general idea that he's the low man on the totem pole, as it were.

I suppose Timon would know Quinton by sight, but may not know much about him given their various lots in life. Timon might be aware of rumors that Quinton has 'sticky fingers', but is a good lad - he's not stealing for the sake of stealing, he just knows how to acquire things a bit quicker and easier than other folks.

As far as his service with the Raven's Teeth, I don't think it's anything he would hide, but it's not a bragging point for him. He saw it as a taste of what he could be later in life - not something to rest his laurels on. So it wouldn't shock me that Timon knew of his time in Lord Rivers' services (as indirect as it might have been), but may not know exactly what his role was - although it would probably be easy to deduce given his age.

If you want to talk through it more, I'm certainly game.