Page 408 of 437 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 4369

Thread: Adventures Assemble S2E2: Return to Dakana

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E1: Twenty Thousand Villains Under the Sea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    All
    Headquarters -- Flagship Island

"John Warden has been arrested for gross negligence and removed from command of the facility. He is on his way to AEGIS divisional HQ for interrogation," Agent Barret adjusts his shades as he scans his tablet. "His hostile treatment of you, his disregard of Qora's warning, and his focus on antagonizing you rather than responding decisively to the attack are all to blame for the facility's fall, not to mention his reckless adoption of risky and unconventional security measures. Wouldn't you say so, Amethyst?"
    March Hare

"Well good. We came in to help test security and help out and he treated us like we were the worst prisoners the place ever had. I hate to think what he could do with resources, his training, and attitude he has without being restrained by the legal system."

She puts a hand on March's shoulder and grins. "Don't worry. Being put in a hyperspace pocket's harmless. I wouldn't have let that jerk get away with dumping you in one otherwise -- but you barely needed my help to escape."
    "Aww, I know that. But I knew they are harmless, I just wanted to see if he was stupid enough to fall for a bluff like that. Anyone who falls for the old 'I'm sick' gag from a 'prisoner' shouldn't be running a prison."

Barret continues. "I have a pleasant surprise for you: after the lowest levels were thoroughly searched, we discovered a very confused group of people wearing fashions from the 1920's. They're all the people who went missing during the original spate of disappearances surrounding Percy Blackcroft."

Kisai knows why, of course. When you killed the Dreamer, the souls it devoured spilled out of its ruptured belly.

"Mr. Blackcroft. It's alright for you to come in now."

The bridge access doors glide open, and Blackcroft steps through them: weary, bowed, but relieved. "I wish none of you had to go through this," he says, stepping forward to shake hands or hug each of you in gratitude. "But I am glad beyond measure to have met you. You freed me from a hell that's lasted nearly a century. I will never forget you and what you did for me."

"It'll take some time for the courts to work," Barrett says quietly. "But with the missing people found, Blackcroft's murder convictions are likely to be overturned. You have given him a great deal of hope."
    "So not only did we reveal an idiot was running the place, security measures that are dangerous, stopped Rainbow 7 from taking White Rabbit for their mistress' schemes, took down an eldritch abomination, got to give smack-talk to Rainbow 7's boss lady and watch them have to be bailed out, but we also helped ensure an innocent man will be set free and all the Dreamer in the Darkness's victims are alive and free as well. This has been a pretty good day for starting out so crappy thanks to John Warden's attitude. I do have one question, will AEGIS or another organization be helping these people to adjust to having been gone for around a century and to all the changes that have happened in that time?"

Nightbird

Relaxing with a glass of freshly made orange juice Imogen couldn't help smiling at the thought of being a fly on the wall when Mayor Cooper found out about what had happen in the prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Barret
    "John Warden has been arrested for gross negligence and removed from command of the facility. He is on his way to AEGIS divisional HQ for interrogation," Agent Barret adjusts his shades as he scans his tablet. "His hostile treatment of you, his disregard of Qora's warning, and his focus on antagonizing you rather than responding decisively to the attack are all to blame for the facility's fall, not to mention his reckless adoption of risky and unconventional security measures. Wouldn't you say so, Amethyst?"
    "Let me guess he will be reassigned to writing out parking tickets now"

Quote Originally Posted by March Hare
    "Well good. We came in to help test security and help out and he treated us like we were the worst prisoners the place ever had. I hate to think what he could do with resources, his training, and attitude he has without being restrained by the legal system."
    "Yep parking warden sounds like the best use of his talents but I will need to watch where I leave my bike, I hate to imagine what the fine would be for an illegally parked flying motorbike."

Quote Originally Posted by March Hare
    "So not only did we reveal an idiot was running the place, security measures that are dangerous, stopped Rainbow 7 from taking White Rabbit for their mistress' schemes, took down an eldritch abomination, got to give smack-talk to Rainbow 7's boss lady and watch them have to be bailed out, but we also helped ensure an innocent man will be set free and all the Dreamer in the Darkness's victims are alive and free as well. This has been a pretty good day for starting out so crappy thanks to John Warden's attitude. I do have one question, will AEGIS or another organization be helping these people to adjust to having been gone for around a century and to all the changes that have happened in that time?"
    "That is a good point, a lot has changed and do we know what they experienced while they were gone so to speak and Qora is right a number of prisoners were a great help to us and deserve recognition for that."

Quote Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
    "I assume the stolen technology will be removed from the government facility and returned to its proper owner?"
    Barrett puts on a face that would not be out of place at a world poker championship. "Warden's additions to the VaMPIRE systems were poorly-considered, but his purchase from Amethyst Tech was legal, as far as we can tell," he says. "The Federal Bureau of Corrections will likely negotiate a return of the technology in exchange for a refund."

Quote Originally Posted by Qora View Post
    "I made promises down there to the inmates who aided us," she says to Barret, "I intend to honor them
    The human government is very upset with the apparent loss of an extremely valuable magical artifact, but AEGIS paranormal experts have confirmed that you are not to blame -- for now.

"I think this is a very bad idea, but it's your call," Agent Barrett says.

He tells you that hearings will soon be held to decide the fate of the prisoners after the attack on the prison and determine if any should be charged with additional offenses. You will likely all be summoned to give testimony. "I can arrange for you to speak with the parole boards at the hearings and push for reduced sentences. The officers will likely be open to hearing the judgement of a hero. I hope you're correct, and that these people you mention are genuinely reformed -- but I would be fooling myself if I didn't suspect they made a cynical decision to support the winning side for benefits."

Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    "Aww, I know that. But I knew they are harmless, I just wanted to see if he was stupid enough to fall for a bluff like that. Anyone who falls for the old 'I'm sick' gag from a 'prisoner' shouldn't be running a prison."
    "Warden's ran prisons for years, and he hated all of us," Michelle thinks. "I don't think he fell for it in the usual way, out of concern for you: I think he was very sure you were bluffing, but you were so convincing he had to physically drag you out of there to prove you were fine. Which goes to show he's not just stupid -- he's stupid and dangerous."

"I do have one question, will AEGIS or another organization be helping these people to adjust to having been gone for around a century and to all the changes that have happened in that time?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbird View Post
    "That is a good point, a lot has changed and do we know what they experienced while they were gone so to speak and Qora is right a number of prisoners were a great help to us and deserve recognition for that."
    "The U.S. Department of Immigration has some experience dealing with acclimatizing refugees from alien worlds and dimensions, and resettling defecting supers. Their representatives are at the main Lor refugee camp as we speak. We've contacted them for help -- unless you want to chip in yourself."

"Let me guess he will be reassigned to writing out parking tickets now"
    "He will be charged," Barrett says, "and, if convicted, put in the very prisons he once ran. Warden was a harsh and brutal warden. Perhaps the experience will humble him, but I very doubt so."

"Is he really called John Warden?" Amethyst tilts her head. "I have a hard time believing in this kinda cosmic coincidence."

"He was born John Redstone. He had his name legally changed back in 2005 -- I'm sure that tells all of you something about him."

"Yep parking warden sounds like the best use of his talents but I will need to watch where I leave my bike, I hate to imagine what the fine would be for an illegally parked flying motorbike."
    "$200."

"Are you kidding?!"

"Thank the late Skyrider of the Justice Foundation."

Barrett consults his tablet again. "The issue now is to decide what to do with the White Rabbit. The rest of the prisoners will be returned to their cells, but given that White Rabbit's presence was the primary reason for the attack, there is doubt as to whether it is wise to keep him in Deep Six, or indeed in Blackstone or any major super-prison. We cannot rule out the fact that S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M., will attempt another such operation and if they succeed they would have a formidable super-powered army on site."

He adjusts his shades. "AEGIS is consulting with several parties to decide his ultimate fate, and wants to know if you have any particular recommendations."

Kisai

Philip tapped his foot impatiently as Barrett responded to all of his teammates. He wanted this man off their island so he could sweep the place and toss whatever bugs he left behind.

"Run a shell game," he responds as helpfully as he can when Barrett asks for suggestions around White Rabbit's incarceration.

"Exile," Qora says, "dangerous as he is, he is at heart a victim, his madness is one born of fear and suffering, that has left him unable to safely interact with your societies. If you would put him beyond SPECTRUM's reach, then you must put him away from humanity. to this, there are two possibilities. The first is Oziri. In the continuation of our affiliation with Earth, we will take him into our custody, and see if our advanced medical science can cure his madness. the second option is to banish him into the wilds of Wonderland."

Nightbird

"$200. Now that is robbery." Imogen placed her empty glass down on a nearby table

Quote Originally Posted by Kisai
    "Run a shell game," he responds as helpfully as he can when Barrett asks for suggestions around White Rabbit's incarceration.
    "What do you mean by a shell game Kisai?" Imogen asked thinking she might know what he meant but wanting to check if she was on the right track.

"And exile, that does sound like an option as well but will the Rabbit agree to it?"
    Last edited by Gilliam; 06-13-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Kisai

"Keep him two other lookalikes in different prisons. Move them around regularly. Nobody knows who the real one is."

Nightbird

"That could work too, but where would we find the doubles?"

"Those could work, but are contingent on being able to contact Wonderland or Oziri reliably," Barret muses. "Or being able to construct a convincing enough decoy of the White Rabbit. In any event, I will forward your suggestions to AEGIS Directorate as soon as possible."

He turns to leave. "One last thing. Alexander Coen -- formerly known as 'Mr. Pookah' -- has been found missing after the incident. He can't have been taken by the Dreamer, since he would've been regurgitated when you killed it. He's been presumed missing for now. I'd like you to keep an eye out for him, if possible."

The droning of helicopter rotors fills the air as the AEGIS chopper that brought Agent Barrett here takes off.

"Why did you let slip that you could hack into the hyperspace pocket technology Amethyst Tech sold?" Amy asks, speaking through a floating service drone.

"Because once it gets out that I did that, they won't be able to sell the technology," Amethyst says with a grin. "Especially not to supervillains like these S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M. guys."

She stands up and faces all of you. "The Armada destroyed Magna-Lor and is coming for us. But I'm not afraid. You guys kicked Incarnate butt today, kept the lid shut on the world's biggest supervillain prison, and beat the crap out of these color-coded clowns. We'll find a way to stop the Armada for good and make sure the Justice Foundation's sacrifice wasn't in vain."

OOC
    Since Stephen's on holiday, you all can presume that Gelert told you about the message inside the glowing drill, and you know the true nature of the Armada as being a force commanded by Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate.

"This Lucienne woman seemed pretty smug despite her minions' miserable failure," Amy notes. "It concerns me. I dislike the idea that we might be playing into her hand."

Amethyst hazards a guess."Maybe she's just saving face. Doesn't wanna look weak in front of minions, has to look in charge at all times." She paces the deck barefoot, thinking hard. "These S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M. goons say they know a lot more about the Armada than we do. We've gotta find some way to wring that juicy information out of them."

All of you and AEGIS troops were able to scour Deep Six for clues after the facility was back under control. Rainbow Seven's stealth sub was left behind, and will be taken apart piece by piece for any morsel of information about the organization. Unfortunately, the chemicals used in the neuroplasticizer degrade rapidly at room temperature and little could be gleaned from them.

Kisai and Qora were able to discover that Lady Lucienne teleported out her minions using the hyperspace pocket technology installed in Deep Six, reconfiguring it to allow a short-range hyperjump (and likely damaging it in the process). Using your Master Control systems access, you find that Deep Blue was able to figure out enough of how to operate the system to write such a program on the spot. Why Rainbow Seven was not allowed to use it to escape, and instead retreated to their sub, remains a mystery. Your best guess is simply that they wanted to try and salvage the sub itself as well -- or perhaps were not allowed to use the program until Lucienne told them to.

Through analyzing security footage and interrogating prisoners, you are able to piece together what happened after you were captured. Rainbow Seven retreated to the Master Control Room, leaving some of their number there while the rest set up the Neuroplasticizer in the submarine bay. They apparently planned to wait for an opportunity to seize the White Rabbit, control him, and then use him to take over all the prisoners, but Nightbird's bold attack destroyed the Neuroplasticizer. With the White Rabbit hidden in the same subspace pocket you used to smuggle Gelert in, Rainbow Seven was unable to find him in time and decided to attack you while you were battling the Dreamer in the Dark. By the time they arrived, however, you had already slain the beast (combat ended in 6 rounds or less).

OOC
    You can make a new gather information (Investigate) check (only if you like, this is optional) to glean more information about S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M. now that you have had time to check sources and compare notes.

Kisai: Ex: Science
    You could tell that Lucienne teleported out with Rank 10 Accurate Extended Teleport with the descriptor of short-range hyperjump. In future adventures you or Amethyst may be able to counter this with a DC 20 Expertise: Science check.

Nightbird
    HP: 2
    Condition: Normal

As soon as she was able to Imogen started looking into whatever she could fins out about Lady Lucienne and Spectrum. Both Red Flag and Lady Lucienne had given her the impression that they knew Killpatrick and if that was true then they may have been mention in the old diaries and files she had inherited from killpatrick after his death. Although she had added to the collection with other files found in some of Killpatrick's old safehouses she was sure there were other caches of information still hidden in Phoenix City or even further afield but hopefully there was something there she could use.

Although she may be making some big leaps in putting 2 and 2 together Imogen was sure with what she had access to there were hints here and there about the light, almost like a cult and also a name of two that she could start tracking down even though years had passed.

Making less noise than a cat Imogen slipped out of the retirement home that she had just broken into. From pursuing her targets files everyone was convinced the elderly man was suffering from dementia but after her chat with him Imogen was sure a lot of it was just an act and he had filled in some of the blanks and given her some other leads to follow.

Once back on her bike Imogen headed in the direction of the Millstone to continue her investigations.

Nightbird Investigation: 1D20+9 = [17]+9 = 26