Page 377 of 398 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 3976

Thread: Adventures Assemble S2E1: Twenty Thousand Villains Under the Sea!

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E1: Twenty Thousand Villains Under the Sea!

March Hare
    HP: 2 LP: 0
    Conditions: -1 Toughness [Bruised], Dazed [until start of her next turn], Fatigued [at start of her next turn]

Just roll with the fall, I can do this, can't let White Rabbit escape the authorities. Landing hard on some loose debris, she took a bad tumble, scraping up her arms and hitting her head hard enough to leave her slightly disoriented. "I give that landing a 1 out of 10, ouch. Shake it off." With a surge of pure determination, March was up and after the Red Queen in under the blink of an eye, intense energy surging from her hands as she takes a swipe at the mechanical menace.

OOC: Toughness check: Toughness check: 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9 Moves towards Red Queen and Extra Effort for additional standard action to attack Red Queen. Attack check for Temporal Energy Strikes: Attack roll: 1D20+12 = [20]+12 = 32 Natural 20, crit! DC 30 Damage, Penetrating and Weaken Agility DC 20.

Nightbird
    HP: 1
    Condition: Normal

The girl on the ground is too busy groaning and struggling to get to her feet to answer you. But an answer does come from an unexpected direction.

"Another useless failure who is nothing but an embarrassment to her teachers."

You see another figure walking down the road towards you, dressed in white: white leather trenchcoat, white bodysuit and thigh-high boots. She also wears a mask, but hers is enameled white steel. Silvery hair floats behind her in the morning breeze.
    "Great another so called student wanting to prove themselves" Imogen thought to herself turning to face this new woman, it seems tonight or should it be today it seemed to be the "Nightbird is the easy girl to beat up" considering the lack of respect offered by Manmoth, Orca and now Nyx.

"Although a true teacher would recognise that it is their failure to train their student better." Imogen snipped back still managing to keep her voice toneless not at all concerned that Nyx is now behind her.

Meanwhile, the woman in white looks into your eyes, searching for something you aren't quite sure of. At last she shakes her head. "All these years, and I still cannot fathom that this is what he left me for."

A pause. "You studied under Killpatrick," says. "Have you ever wondered about his past? Where he learned his skills or what he came to accomplish? What compelled him to join the Justice Foundation, perhaps?"

The mocking tone indicates she expects the answer to be 'no'.
    Well Imogen didn't expect that though she probably should have after Nyx had mention Killpatrick's name, so was this another fangirl infatuated with the legend of Killpatrick sacrificing his life during the Invasion or since she does sound old maybe ..

"Well that does depend, if you did know Killpatrick you would know he would tell different stories depending on who it was and when it was, they may all be true in some way."

Imogen paused for a moment to see if she had provoked any reaction weighing up if she should share all of what she knew and the little she had found out after his death.

"I can say that he never ever mention a lady dressed in a white trenchcoat but if you did know him you would know that he spent a number of years as a costumed hero, he never did mention the name he used but there were a few he could have been if you look through the history books and then things turned ugly. He became harder and more extreme in his dealings with the underworld and started calling himself Killpatrick. Things turned again when he joined the Justice Foundation, they shone a light in the darkness he had been trapped in and gave him something to aspire to. Of course he had had a number of companions and students over the years but most moved on and by the time we met he did not have any active students. So how am I doing?"

Imogen decided not to mention that she had adventured with other heroes or more aptly vigilantes that Killpatrick knew and a couple of them had been former partners or students of Killpatrick in the first year that Killpatrick had started training her. At the time she felt she was exceeding his expectations but looking back they were probably keeping an eye on her to stop her from getting in over her head.

Gelert
    Abandoned lab of Locust

"Thank you Gelert!" Simon grins brightly. "Both for the welcome, and your help. I'm sure we'll find him or her... or it... pretty soon. I'm really glad for your help!"

The moment Simon's strange glowing device gets close to your ring, it glows with pure blue light. The pulsing of the two devices synchronizes and you see an insignia, one you have never seen before, shine on the surface of your blue Ring of Hope:

Without warning, a brilliant flare of radiance blots out the room. For a moment, you can see nothing, smell nothing. It is as if you are in a featureless landscape blasted by blinding light, as if you were standing in the endless expanse of desert sand or Antarctic ice below the midday sun. You see, vaguely before you, a washed-out hologram of a toad-like feature in a blue vest much like the one you wear.

"Guardian of Hope," the figure says, "I am recording this message in case our gambit fails and Magna-Lor is destroyed by the Armada. Know that our most ancient enemy is roused, and it will never rest until the light of civilization has been snuffed out across the galaxy."

"Should I not survive, I have left behind everything you need to know about the Armada and yourself as a Guardian of Hope within this device. It is heavily encrypted to prevent it falling into our enemies' hands. I exhort you to rally the people of your world. Show them that hope endures. Only in this way can you stand against the Armada. Only in this way can you triumph over War Incarnate, for its shadow may soon fall over your world and all you hold dear."

"Take heart! Even if we are destroyed here, you will soon be joined by more Guardians of Hope from... from..."

The toad-figure seems to look off-screen, consulting something. Then it turns very pale.

"Oh dear... There are no more Guardians," it says in a hollow voice. "None others now bear the power of the Blue. The last Ring of Hope is gone."

The toad-figure clasps webbed hands before itself and bows.

"A-All will be well."

There is a terrible quivering, then the image disintegrates into static and the light fades. You are once again in the abandoned lab, and Simon is holding you.

"Gelert? Gelert? Are you alright?" he looks around. "And what was that?"

In his lap, the drill-shaped device now lies dark and inert.

OOC
    Unless you have anything more to add, that's the end of your scene.
    Last edited by Ysariel; 01-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Kisai
    Happy Science

As you open the front door, you see that the police and Amethyst are there, with the would-be assassin being bundled into a police cruiser. Somehow, one gets the sense that the law won't make talk -- and that he won't be behind bars for very long.

"Looking good as usual, Michelle," Jason Maxwell says, passing by her on the way out. "Best of luck with your business endeavors. And help me talk him into leaving town."

"Thanks, but not on your life," Amethyst says, watching him depart.

"I came here as soon as Glitch texted me," she turns to you once Maxwell is out of earshot and hisses, pointing at your unconscious assailant. "Who sent this guy? Whoever's sending assassins to murder my colleagues has gotta answer to me." A pause, and then something strikes her. "You don't think it's your father, do you?"

OOC

March Hare
    Glass Canyon

"Do something, you nitwit!" Lizard roars at the Great and Terrible Tortoise as you take off for the Red Queen like a missile. Unfortunately, Tortoise, still sitting in the middle of the Tortoise-Shell wreckage, can do little but stare gape-mouthed at what's going on. "I -- I c-can't!" he stammers.

In a fraction of the time it takes for this to go on you have zipped up to the Red Queen, who turns to face you with her preternatural speed. This time, however, you get the upper hand as you swipe her across her hull of burnished bronze and temporal energy surges through her. Instantly, her clockwork stops ticking and her voice drops in pitch like a video being played at quarter speed. The whirr of gears and cams becomes a grind, and then stops entirely as she's frozen in time. With Tortoise completely helpless, and the Red Queen out, a very unhappy lizard raises his hands in surrender with the grumpiest look on his face, as the crowd bursts out into applause, camera flashes and cheers of "Go Champions!" "Show 'em how it's done!" "Get these freaks out of our city!"

It takes a fair bit for the AEGIS agents to get themselves in order again and take the villains into custody. Eventually, the Looking Glass Gang are bundled into the AEGIS armored transports and ferried away, destined for a long stint in Deep Six. Emergency services and city council workers cordon off the area, preparing for repair works to commence and fix the damage to the road. Somehow, it seems impossible that you've actually beaten the Looking Glass Gang after running and hiding from them for so long. As the armored van drives past, you see Tortoise nervously glancing at you; the Red Queen, stoic despite being in handcuffs; and Alice and Dormouse with extremely sour looks on their faces.

Only White Rabbit flashes you a maniac grin from behind the barred window. It's almost as if he wants to be captured. Is there another evil plot in the works, or have you really grown stronger?

OOC
    Red Queen as a minion can't pass a DC 30 Toughness check. She is out, and with her out, Lizard and the Great and Terrible Tortoise choose to surrender, so combat is over.

And that's the end of your scene.

Nightbird
    Liberty Port

"Although a true teacher would recognise that it is their failure to train their student better."
    Beneath her half-mask, the woman in white's lips curl in a sneer, but she says nothing.

"I can say that he never ever mention a lady dressed in a white trenchcoat but if you did know him you would know that he spent a number of years as a costumed hero, he never did mention the name he used but there were a few he could have been if you look through the history books and then things turned ugly. He became harder and more extreme in his dealings with the underworld and started calling himself Killpatrick. Things turned again when he joined the Justice Foundation, they shone a light in the darkness he had been trapped in and gave him something to aspire to. Of course he had had a number of companions and students over the years but most moved on and by the time we met he did not have any active students. So how am I doing?"
    She smiles a smile of liquid nitrogen as you mention he never brought up anyone like her. "I guessed right," she says. "You know nothing. Nothing at all."

"Killpatrick left Shambala because he was not content to stay in the high mountains, to pursue enlightenment and inner peace. No, he was drawn to the world of steel and blood. He wanted to make a difference. Not by teaching spirituality or meditation, but by taking the fight to evil. He gathered several of us who shared his ideals, and we left the Golden City. We weren't just students or companions. We were comrades in a shared cause."

"I am White Rose," she says, raising her voice, "and I come to complete the job Killpatrick started. To finish what the old mystics in the mountain stronghold, squabbling over politics and elections, can't do. We'll deal with Moreau, Cooper and all the other problems you 'heroes' in your fancy costumes and codenames can't see."

White Rose turns to leave, Nyx walking after her, but before she goes, fires off one last icy look at you. "Tell your Champion friends to stay out of the way, or we'll squash you as well."

She doesn't answer your question about how well you're doing... but then again, you might consider the fact she's the only person this morning who hasn't attempted to violently harm you an answer on its own.

OOC
    And unless you have anything more to add, that's the end of your scene.

Kisai

"I didn't go there, but yeah, this could be the exact kind of warning my dad might send," he says, nudging the failed "assassin" out of the doorway with his foot.

"But it turns out my helping you against Lord Steel has made me a small celebrity in the magical community. And people are trying to use me for some big election thing. Frankly, I want no part of it; and if any of them come around, I will be less than gentle. But it could impact our business, so you need to know."

OOC
    I don't really have anything else.

Nightbird
    HP: 1
    Condition: Normal

Letting the other 2 women leave Imogen wondered just how much was truth or another tweaking of the past but deep down she felt that White Rose was being more or less honest with her and if she wasn't mistaken there seemed to be a hint of jealously or enmity in White Rose's reaction to her presence. Sigh did she really have the time to deal with an old floozy of Killpatricks?

After checking that Orca and Manmoth were still unconscious Imogen made a quick call to the police letting them know there was a pick-up for them on the docks before making her way back to her apartment, maybe after getting some sleep she will dig out some of those old boxes she had inherited.

It still surprised her that 3 months after the death of Kilpatrick and the Armada invasion she had been approached by a law firm advising her that she was the beneficiary of a trust set up by a "Brian O'Patrick" that provided her with a steady income allowing her the option to concentrate on her crime fighting rather than worry about how to pay the bills. She had told her brother the truth that this was how she could afford the apartment she was renting but for her parents a little white lie that she was "house sitting" for a marketing executive who spent most of their time overseas and yes they were okay that her brother was also house sitting too.

OOC

And that is all for me at the moment and a little explanation for how Imogen can make ends meet without still being at home

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    Gelert
    Abandoned lab of Locust

"Thank you Gelert!" Simon grins brightly. "Both for the welcome, and your help. I'm sure we'll find him or her... or it... pretty soon. I'm really glad for your help!"

The moment Simon's strange glowing device gets close to your ring, it glows with pure blue light. The pulsing of the two devices synchronizes and you see an insignia, one you have never seen before, shine on the surface of your blue Ring of Hope:

Without warning, a brilliant flare of radiance blots out the room. For a moment, you can see nothing, smell nothing. It is as if you are in a featureless landscape blasted by blinding light, as if you were standing in the endless expanse of desert sand or Antarctic ice below the midday sun. You see, vaguely before you, a washed-out hologram of a toad-like feature in a blue vest much like the one you wear.

"Guardian of Hope," the figure says, "I am recording this message in case our gambit fails and Magna-Lor is destroyed by the Armada. Know that our most ancient enemy is roused, and it will never rest until the light of civilization has been snuffed out across the galaxy."

"Should I not survive, I have left behind everything you need to know about the Armada and yourself as a Guardian of Hope within this device. It is heavily encrypted to prevent it falling into our enemies' hands. I exhort you to rally the people of your world. Show them that hope endures. Only in this way can you stand against the Armada. Only in this way can you triumph over War Incarnate, for its shadow may soon fall over your world and all you hold dear."

"Take heart! Even if we are destroyed here, you will soon be joined by more Guardians of Hope from... from..."

The toad-figure seems to look off-screen, consulting something. Then it turns very pale.

"Oh dear... There are no more Guardians," it says in a hollow voice. "None others now bear the power of the Blue. The last Ring of Hope is gone."

The toad-figure clasps webbed hands before itself and bows.

"A-All will be well."

There is a terrible quivering, then the image disintegrates into static and the light fades. You are once again in the abandoned lab, and Simon is holding you.

"Gelert? Gelert? Are you alright?" he looks around. "And what was that?"

In his lap, the drill-shaped device now lies dark and inert.

OOC
    Gelert takes a moment to recover from the sudden rush of information, and another as some of the implications start to sink in. "I'm...okay. I think."

Gelert makes no move to leave Simon's arms. What he'd just learned was very unsettling. "It was some sort of pre-recorded message from another ring bearer. The Guardians of Hope were fighting the Armada...and Something Else. He left this in case he didn't survive and Magna-Lor fell, said that it held what they'd learned and encouraging others to rally their own worlds." Gelert paused trying to put the last revelation into words. "But at the end...He seemed to think that he was the last, that there were no more wielders of the Blue. And he was losing hope."

The universe suddenly seemed like a very very big and scary place and Gelert felt very small.

Gelert looked at the cone shaped device. "I have a lot of questions, but hopefully this has some answers in it. Where did you get it? Who sent you to find a champion of the Blue?"

Gelert
    Abandoned lab of Locust

"Oh no," Simon says in a very quiet voice. "I know some Champions of the Blue came to help defend Magna-Lor. I didn't... I thought..."

He trails off. For a long moment he just holds you and strokes your hair.

"I found it in wreckage," Simon says very quietly. "We were waiting to be evacuated from Magna-Lor. Lots of flaming bits fell from the sky. Pieces of space ships and stuff. I hid under some rubble, and I saw it glowing in the dark a not far away, so I ran towards it. Just after I picked it up, a huge ship crashed where I was hiding moments ago. It saved me."

"I thought it was a good luck charm and took it," he explains. "On the ship here, it started glowing faster. Someone told me it glows in the presence of those who wield the true power of Hope, and it kept getting brighter and brighter all the way here. And it led me to you!" Simon finishes happily. "I don't, ahh, nobody sent me to find a Champion of the Blue. It was just something I thought I would do, and the drill brought me luck, so it seemed like a good idea..."

The conical, drill-shaped device resumes glowing a faint, pale blue. Why the form of a drill, of all things? And what could that symbol on your ring mean? The device is silent, offering no answers to either question.