Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358
Results 3,571 to 3,580 of 3580

Thread: Adventures Assemble S1 Finale: Iron Curtain

Re: Adventures Assemble S1 Finale: Iron Curtain

March Hare
    HP: 5>4 LP: 0
    Conditions: Fine

"No, no, no! I'm not fast enough to do a superspeed whirlwind to catch them, or even zip back and forth to collect mattresses. Think, think! I've got it! Risky, but it just has to work." Concentrating as intensely as she can, trying to focus her temporal energy in a way she had never tried before, she aimed towards the falling hostages and with a surge of power, a beam of silver-blue energy fired from her hands towards them, enveloping the hostages in the same silver-blue energy as they began to fall much slower to the floor.

OOC: Power stunting with Extra Effort: Slowed Fall: Movement 1 [Safe Fall], Affects Others Only, Area Burst, Ranged • 4 points HP to negate fatigue, leaving Gelert open to help Nightbird against the psycho.
    Last edited by Psistrike; 10-17-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenseido View Post
    Kisai
    HP: 5 (-1=4), Condition: Calculating

"Okay... Movement... Science... Power... Invulnerability," he calls off as he points to each of the pylons.

"So what I am going to need is you to draw his fire until I am done. He is going to know it instantly when I disable the first one. I am going to take movement out first, so hopefully he will be slower in getting here. I don't know how slow, since he might be headed back here because I crashed his barrier."

"With Invulnerability being last, try and stay defensive. You won't be able to actually hurt him until that is down, so save your firepower."

He takes in a deep breath as he picks up a coke can off the ground and pops the tab off of it.

"I also don't know how quickly he will lose these abilities. So, uhm... it might be the others who end up stopping him."

He leaves Qora to deduce the implications of his final statement on her own as he walks over to the OmniPresence Pylon.

He waits for Qora to signal she is ready and then pries open a small panel where the control wires feed into it and uses the hairpin from earlier to short across two key circuits that will blow out the regulator turning this into a bunch of scrap metal.

"Understood," Qora rasps, preparing to once again be the distraction for Steel to toy withwhile ignoring the true threat, "A shame we can't overload him and thus fittingly punish his hubris, but that would probably destroy the city in the process"

Round 1
    The Ironworks

Even with her strength sapped by the Iron Curtain, it is a simple matter for Qora to roll aside the main gate of the warehouse. The three-ton door glides apart on lubricated ball bearings, evidence that Lord Steel's troops have been occupying this place for a long time.

While Kisai prepares to short out the Iron Curtain pylons, Qora examines the Iron Curtain controls, but there is no 'OFF' button. There was never any reason for this machine to be turned off, until it had drained the powers of every superbeing in the world and burned itself out.

Qora: Technology 4
    The controls allow one to reactivate pylons if they have been disabled (irrelevant now, since Kisai rolled high enough to prevent reactivation).

The regulator of the Omnipresence pylon blows and instantly the pylon's length crackles with red lightning as power surges out of it. A humming fills the air as the electricity arcs towards the tip, growing high and higher in pitch as the intensity of the electric discharge grows, until with a tremendous thunderclap that is audible across the bay the pylon's top explodes and rains down bits of glowing metal all about you, leaving the metal tower smoking and burst open like an orchid's petals. The distance from Flagship Island in the middle of the bay to King's Junction on the eastern shore is approximately 6 miles, according to Google Maps (OOC: distance rank 11). You do not know how long Lord Steel will take to arrive, but he must know what has been done as he loses its powers.

"NO!" you hear someone shout from behind you. "Do not touch that machine. Its power belongs to ME!"

A familiar silhouette stands outside the warehouse gate: oily green cloak over a withered body riddled with blinking cybernetic implants, six mechanical tentacle-arms sprouting from his back. The last of the Imperial Generals is here!

OOC
    You disable the Omnipresence Pylon and Lord Steel immediately loses all powers it grants him. The pylon can't be repaired or reactivated.

This also alerts Metallurge, who appears on scene, and begins combat. Metallurge gets a 14 on his initiative, so I fiat and reroll for him, getting 20. Kisai gains 1 HP, since he now goes after Metallurge when he would've gone first before.

Lord Steel is not yet on the scene, but he will begin moving on his initiative.

Turn Order
    26 Qora *
    20 Metallurge
    20 Lord Steel

16 Kisai

Qora is up!

Nightbird, Gelert & March Hare
    Fenyman-Yamaguchi Antimatter Reactor -- Outside Reactor Building 1

Silver-blue light surrounds the falling nuclear plant workers in a glowing bubble. Immediately, the screaming of the hostages drops an octave in pitch as they are slowed to 2% of their normal velocity and gently float to the ground, upon which the bubble of silver-blue energy pops. "Oh my goodness! Thank you! Thank you!" "Holy crap! How did she do that?!" they exclaim.

OOC
    So, very technically you do need to be capable of free action to use Safe Fall, which the tied-up workers can't. But I get what you want, and in any case, slapping attack (which doesn't change the cost) on your stunt will let March Hare control the power and get the same result. So, no changes are needed and your stunt works as described.

March Hare gains 1 HP for successfully saving civilians.

Turn Order
    30 Nightbird
    24 Blackhawk (Minion)
    21 March Hare
    04 Gelert *

Gelert is up!

"Steel is enraged and he is coming," Qora says to the twisted techpriest, prepared to keep his attention by being a stubborn target"If this device is the instrument of your sudden yet inevitable betrayal, now is the time to explain"
    no dummy, going total defense

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post
    Blackhawk reacts with the speed and fury that only desperation can provide. She backflips as Nightbird's cape swoops across her vision; it still makes her blink and allows Nightbird's strike to hit home, but she puts enough distance between them with the move that its power is reduced, and she manages to absorb it by blocking with both forearms. "Are you MAD?!" she shrieks. "I'm trying to SAVE THE WORLD!"

And she really closes her eyes and depresses her detonator. To Blackhawk's horror, however, instead of a nuclear reactor going up in a mushroom cloud, there is a WHUMMPH! of a small explosion somewhere away in the facility as all of her detonators, faithfully removed by March Hare, go off. They're small explosives themselves, but that blast is way too weak to actually damage anything important.

There is, however, a small blast inside the reactor, followed by a scream, as another explosive blows up the rope dangling the two nuclear plant workers from the catwalk.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... or try and BLOW UP THE CITY!" Gelert remarks, rather miffed. "Face it, your plan was bad and you should feel bad."

Quote Originally Posted by Ysariel View Post

Silver-blue light surrounds the falling nuclear plant workers in a glowing bubble. Immediately, the screaming of the hostages drops an octave in pitch as they are slowed to 2% of their normal velocity and gently float to the ground, upon which the bubble of silver-blue energy pops. "Oh my goodness! Thank you! Thank you!" "Holy crap! How did she do that?!" they exclaim.

"Oh good the people you recklessly endangered are safe. Which means we just need to stop you and then we can get back to defeating Lord Steel and saving the city." Gelert says, relieved that his assistance wasn't required. He turns his full attention on Blackhawk and shooting at her.

Blast: Damage 11-5: DC18 1D20 + 9 = [5]+9 = 14

OOC
    Gelert's result of 14 is a miss (she still has Fighting 5 after the Iron Curtain). But I have some different ideas, so I fiat and make it hit instead; however I gain 1 Villain Point (2 total right now).

ECK Blackhawk Toughness DC 21: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10 Failed, KO
    Combat is over.

Gelert's beam of blue light shines straight and true. It explodes right in Blackhawk's screaming face and blows the vigilante clean off her feet, sending her sailing head over heels three times before the lands on the catwalk with a wet, heavy THUMP. Smoke rises from her black-clad body as she groans and tries to get up.

"It's doomed," she groans. "The city's... doomed..."

She passes out.

And just like that, the last resistance on your long journey from the bowels of Lord Steel's flagship to the antimatter reactor has been squashed. As the nuclear technicians climb back up by way of maintenance ladder, there is only one last thing left for you to do before the counterattack against Lord Steel can begin.

Nightbird
    HP: 2
    Condition: Normal

A little bit miffed that she hadn't landed the final blow in the fight with Blackhawk, in fact that was the second one now where she could only claim a draw at best.

"She would have blown up the city she really is crazier than a ...." Imogen couldn't think of something that Blackhawk was crazier than " ... she really needs help but we don't have the time to waste at the moment."

Still feeling a little numb from the fact that Blackhawk had actually pressed the button on the detonator, Imogen pulled the mask off the unconscious woman's head taking a photo with her phone before replacing the mask then quickly tying Blackhawk's legs and hands.

"Come on we need to find where we can plug this in." Imogen added removing the device that Kisai had created from her hidden pocket.

Round 1
    The Ironworks

"Betrayal!" Metallurge scoffs with righteous indignation. "I am merely taking back what is mine! My power, my magic, my genius which this machine is leeching from me. Hands off my property, or off with your head!"

He turns to a nearby heap of pig iron ingots which are being sucked up by one of the Foundry Engines and gestures with both arms and all six Mechano-Tentacles. The ingots stir a bit, then become silent again. Annoyed, Metallurge does his arcane gestures once more and a much smaller heap of iron floats into the air, goes hurtling towards Kisai and lands atop the Dragon Mage in a tremendous, clanking heap of metal, attempting to bury him alive!

To one side, the Omnipotence Pylon starts pulsing audibly with red light. Strange glowing patterns form on the tower's surface and you realize that Lord Steel is using its power.

A moment later something comes flying in like a cruise missile and lands in the middle of the warehouse floor with a sonic boom that shakes the ruined building. Rising from the crater and the tremendous cloud of smoke about it is a single terrible, armored figure, horned helm gleaming in the dull red light, scarlet cape billowing like a war banner.

"L-L-L-L-Lord Steel!" squeaks Metallurge, terrified.

"Your insolence," seethes the Iron Emperor with rage that could melt flesh off bones, "Knows no bounds. You will suffer and die with the rest of the Resistance insects. But first..."

This time the Invulnerability pylon pulses and glows with strange luminous patterns. Lord Steel gestures, and a glowing red shield of energy -- just like the one enclosing the city -- rises from the ground and completely surrounds the Omnipotence pylon, protecting it from harm.

OOC
    Metallurge uses his Metallokinesis power to lift the pig iron in the NW corner of the map (move action) and then drop it on you as an attack (standard action). However, his power rank is reduced by 5 ranks, being only rank 5 now, or able to lift 1600 lbs. This power is Perception range. However, using it to make an attack indirectly in this way needs an attack check, which he passes.

Kisai, make a DC 15 Dodge resistance check. If you pass there is no effect. If you fail, you are Immobile as you are buried under the heavy iron, unless you have Str 5 or more and take a Move action to burst free. You get cover from the iron if you fail.

Lord Steel configures his Power of Omnipotence to Flight 20 as a free action, with the descriptor of kinetic energy control. He arrives on scene with a single Move action. Lord Steel then uses his Power of Invulnerability to create a force field around the Omnipotence pylon as a Standard action. This is essentially Sustained Create 20, and he can enclose the entire pylon in it.

Qora: Assessment DC 15 result
    From your experience in combat you judge that Lord Steel's mastery over his newly stolen powers is still incomplete. Descriptors or effects that he is not familiar with have the Unreliable flaw. (Unbeknownst to all but you, he already spent 1 Villain Point rerolling an unreliable roll, and has 1 left now.) This may also explain why he doesn't have precognition or mind reading or similar sophisticated powers, which would have spelled doom for all of you by now.

Turn Order
    26 Qora
    20 Metallurge
    20 Lord Steel

16 Kisai *

Kisai is up!

Kisai
    HP: 4, Condition: Fine (for now, Fatigued at end of turn)

He ducks just inside the pylon to avoid the barrage of metal on the ground as Lord Steel calls out his minion.

The arrival of Lord Steel wasn't totally unexpected.

The giant red barrier around the Omnipotence pylon was. Well, he seemed to use the Invulnerability pylon to create the shield, so maybe taking it out will at least give the others a chance.

He quickly completes his task and shorts out the regulator on the Omniscience Pylon. He looks at Lord Steel standing right next to where he needs to be to disable the Invulnerability pylon.

"Oh, boy," he says quietly as the Dragon roars and he feels a little of its strength fill him. Sprinting over to the control interface for the Invulnerability pylon, Philip pops that circuit cover and then shorts out that regulator as well.

OOC
    Dodge: 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22

Standard action to disable Omniscience Pylon
    Dragon Magic array to Dragon Warrior gives me a STR 3 total (well, maybe...)
    Make a DC15 Athletcs check to increase speed by 1 for this round
    Athletics check: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26

Move action to K11

Extra effort to surge and disable the Invulnerability Pylon