Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken men at Harrenhal

Protomolecule Host

Re: Broken men at Harrenhal

Hey Zeroed,

Thank you very much for the extensive research and feedback!

1) On the brother Wodes: Very true, I remember that I described him according to what we know from the books, but while fleshing out the adventure, he got changed more and more. I really like your idea to switch the two brother's names. I will do so in the next version!

2) Maester and blacksmith: Yeah, the Maester, I knew about, but since we do not have any infos about how long he served at Harrenhal, I decided to use another NPC. I missed the info about the smith having been at Harrenhal since so many years though. Got to account for that somehow! :-)

3) Servants etc: I so far havent found a good scene to include them, which feels natural to the whole adventure and not just tacked on. But it is definitely a missed opportunity. Maybe I still come up with an idea.

Btw: Nothing definite yet, but maybe I have found somebody who can provide a map :-)

OPA Belta

Hi Owlhunter,

Concerning the idea of using the various household servants for a scene, I may have an idea for this...

You stated that Ser Derrick the Drake's plan was first to capture Harrentown to gather support and then try to seize Harrenhal itself. To that end, since Harrenhal is a massive fortification, perhaps he has already placed a spy amongst the household's servants and retainers, either to open/sabotage the gates during the upcoming siege or just gather as much tactical information as possible.

Eventually, perhaps that spy could become careless during the first night of the scenario and gets caught trying to steal plans or sabotage something or simply seen while meeting up with a contact to divulge information and he/she had to kill a guard or servant to prevent being arrested. The murder was done in haste with no time to conceal to body, so the victim's corpse was found, which raises a red flag that a spy may be present in Harrenhal.

Maybe the PCs, since they have recently arrived, will become suspects themselves and will have to clear their names. Maybe, if they are at the right place at the right time, they will witness the murder from afar and try to chase the spy into the night (and find out he/she is a spy if they catch him/her or alert the war council themselves if they cannot capture him/her).

If the spy is not caught during that first incident, then maybe the PCs could engage in a game of cat-and-mouse to find the spy/murderer, speaking with every notable NPCs to find information on his/her identity. Maybe each member of the household possesses a part of the puzzle to identify who it might be. It could become an interesting part of the adventure, especially if some of the PCs are less combat-oriented and are playing more expert/intrigue-type characters.

If the spy is not caught before the attack on Harrentown, then you could consider that Ser Derrick the Drake has received tactical information about House Whent's battle plans which give him an advantage (maybe a substantial bonus to any Strategy rolls). And if Harrentown is captured and the spy is still not caught, then during the following siege of Harrenhal, perhaps the spy will locate a secret backdoor or sabotage the drawbridge or open the gates during the night, rendering its impressive defensive bonus to waste, turning the siege into a close-quarter skirmish, an intense fight for survival within Harrenhal's walls...

What do you think?
    Last edited by Zeroed; 07-19-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Protomolecule Host

I will make my PC play this adventure and we'll start on Friday. One thing I wonder though.
    There is a possibility the player don't succeed to prevent Derrick's attack adn choose to defend from inside the castle. Do anyone knows where we could find a map of this giant castle?

Remember Harrenhall is half in ruin. It was badly burned by Aegon's dragons and none of the lords who held it never had the power nor the money to rebuild it. So I magine that castle with two outer walls ruined, several towers ruined too and maybe the central keep an a wall surrounding it which is barely intact and that the defenders could use.

Opinions on this?

Protomolecule Host

Here's a website that has an overview w/some details: http://www.westeroscraft.com/forum/m...ter/most-views
    That's what I plan to use. I'm going to use the adventure in my campaign set around 210AC - instead of survivors from the Ruby Ford, they'll be knights who were able to escape Bloodraven's troops.

Protomolecule Host

Thank you Deef. This website is awesome and I'm going to use it.

OPA Belta

Anybody knows if Owlhunter is still active on these boards ? Based on his profile, his last activity here was 8 months ago.

I wrote to him at the email address found in the adventure Broken Men at Harrenhal, but didn't get any answer yet.

I ask because I've created an "enhanced" version of his adventure Broken Men at Harrenhal and would like to post it here...

UN Basic Recipient

Since Owlhunter still didn't answer I suggest you can post your enhanced version.
    Because non of your adventures upgrades was bad I think he wouldn't mind. A we are happy to see your version zeroed.

OPA Belta

You're right, I'll share the enhanced adventure with all of you.

Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kkim4d...enhal.pdf/file

Owlhunter, if you are reading this and doesn't like my version of your adventure, just contact me and I'll remove it.

Thank you.

Zeroed
    Last edited by Zeroed; 12-03-2018 at 08:51 AM.

UN Basic Recipient

Zeroed well done as always. I found just one mistake. The good wife Anabel ist named good wife ... The same name above in the stats block discretion. The rest ist beautiful.

Thanks for your work zeroed.

UN Basic Recipient

Well done as always zeroed. Just one mistake the good wife Anabel ist called good wife ... As the woman before in the stats block. The rest is beautiful made as the rest of your work.
    Thank you zeroed and 🦉