Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (OOC) - Vaulting Ambition

UN Basic Recipient

(OOC) - Vaulting Ambition

There could always be more play-by-post, amirite?

*ahem* Perhaps I should start off by saying hi! I've had the pocket edition of the ASOIAFRP for a good while now and recently ordered the Game of Thrones edition (mainly because my pocket edition is falling apart....), and I figured why not run a game of it for the good folks of the boards here? I can't say I've run a chronicle of ASOIAF RPG before but hey I love Westeros, I love roleplaying, what could possibly go wrong?

So if you're interested in some good ol' fashioned fun, let me know and we'll see what we can do!

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot. I totally "borrowed" the title from Mr. William Shakespeare's Macbeth. Full quote is: "I have no spur/To prick/the sides of my intent, but only/Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself/And falls on the other." - Macbeth (I.vii) A rather fitting play and character to start off a Westerosi RP, no? ;P
    Last edited by MonteCristo; 07-09-2016 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Attributing my title

OPA Belta

Re: (OOC) - Vaulting Ambition

what style of game would you be looking to run?

UN Basic Recipient

Honestly either the standard single house game or the game of thrones style works for me. I'm flexible and willing to do either.

UN Basic Recipient

That second would be neat, though would require a not small investment of time/ambition on your end.

UN Basic Recipient

Yes, you're quite right, Kolbrandr. The ambition I don't lack, but the time investment is more of a wild card. I could probably (I'm thinking 80 - 87 percent certainty) make it all work, but the lack of certainty is something I'd rather avoid when other people are committing their time as well.

On a somewhat lighter note, I've thought of some areas/time-periods of Westeros I've always wanted to see done or run myself:
    1) Maegor the Cruel - Intrigue, warfare, tournaments, religious unrest, ohhhh myyyy! :P I've always had a soft spot for ol' Maegor, even if he was a cruel bastard. Campaign ideas in this time period include pious Houses making troubles for royal authority, ambitious Houses making trouble for pious Houses and the Faith, Northern Houses fighting against Houses sworn to Manderly - and thus follow the Seven.
    2) The Dance of Dragons - A classic in the history of Westeros, Targaryen fighting Targaryen, and all the little Houses caught in the middle. Plenty of opportunity for Houses from across Westeros to don black or green and fight and intrigue their way and possibly their side to victory.
    3) Blackfyre Rebellion(s) - Another classic, and again plenty of opportunities for Houses from anywhere to rise up.
    4) The Great Council of 233 - A game I could see played in any number of ways; one possibility is to actually play the movers and shakers of the realm - you want to play Bloodraven, go ahead! You want to play the Laughing Storm? Right on! Another way to play this scenario is as an alternate history scenario, with someone like say Aenys Blackfyre being made king or something crazy like that.
    5) The Dornish Marches - The place where Dorne meets the Stormlands and the Reach. Always had a soft spot for this area, as it reminds me of the various historical marches in real life. Certainly lots of intrigue and slaughter has happened along this area, and mixing with any of the above four scenarios would like result in even more bloodshed, tragedy, and the like.
    6) East of the Westerlands - There's this area in Westeros, east of the Westerlands, west of the Crownlands, south of the Riverlands, north of the Reach. It's a rather nebulous area, after all since at least four different lieges probably have vassals there things are likely to get tricky when the War of Five Kings or any other civil war breaks out.....
    7) The Iron Isles - I've always had kind of a soft spot for these guys. It always seems like either you hate them or you love them, but I've always seen them as interesting gaming material. You got plenty of enemies at home, everybody else in Westeros hates you.

If you'd like me to expand on any of these ideas, feel free to let me know! (And I just realized I posted seven campaign ideas...one for each of the Seven of course!)

EDIT: And of course, do not be dissuaded by this list. I'm more than willing to run other ideas, if anyone wants to throw some out there.

UN Basic Recipient

Oh, I didn't mean to discourage you or anything, just to note the practicalities/pitfalls of trying to act on that sort of campaign notion. I'd be happy myself to give GoT style a try, almost all games are otherwise the single house deal.

The Marches would be interesting, since you have multiple regions to eff about with, but still keep in close enough proximity for wider events. Similarly for the extremely murky area east of the Westerlands and etc.

Historically I have no great preference other than not really caring for the Maegor the Cruel era. It's more interesting to read about than to game in I'd think, given the high propensity for "everything resolved by dragonfire until Maegor kills himself." That and not wanting to do a thing of playing canon npcs. I like to make my own characters.

OPA Belta

Count me in...I'm up for anything and anytime period.

UN Basic Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbrandr View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to discourage you or anything, just to note the practicalities/pitfalls of trying to act on that sort of campaign notion. I'd be happy myself to give GoT style a try, almost all games are otherwise the single house deal.

The Marches would be interesting, since you have multiple regions to eff about with, but still keep in close enough proximity for wider events. Similarly for the extremely murky area east of the Westerlands and etc.

Historically I have no great preference other than not really caring for the Maegor the Cruel era. It's more interesting to read about than to game in I'd think, given the high propensity for "everything resolved by dragonfire until Maegor kills himself." That and not wanting to do a thing of playing canon npcs. I like to make my own characters.
    Yeah I'm thinking I will give the GoT a try. Never know how it's going to turn out till you try!

Alright, I'll put down an interest in the Marches and the other area. Let's see if anyone else has any preferences and we can work from there.

As for historical period, I've been thinking of a post-First Blackfyre Rebellion, but pre-Second; so if you've read the Hedge Knight series roughly aligning with the Tourney of Ashford.

Quote Originally Posted by squadfather40 View Post
    Count me in...I'm up for anything and anytime period.
    Thanks for the interest!

So to sum up, GoT style is the play-style I'm thinking of; historical period, I'm leaning towards post-Blackfyre Rebellion; the geographical setting I'm going to hold off a little and see if anyone else wants to chime in, but currently either the Dornish Marches or the area East of the Westerlands.

OPA Belta

those sound okay to me

UN Basic Recipient

Thanks, Corrigon!

So, I'm going to use some executive authority and decide upon the Dornish Marches. If Corrigon, Kolbrandr, and Squadfather are in agreement, I think it's time for creating your Houses! As per the rules, please roll 7d6 for each house resource and apply the bonuses/penalties. I've included the bonuses and penalties below. With dice rolls, I'm going to use the honor system and trust you when you tell me what you rolled.

The three of you can pick for the geographic location Dorne, The Reach, and or The Stormlands.

First, Dorne!

Notable houses in the Marches for Dorne include Houses Wyl, Fowler, Blackmont, Yronwood, and Manwoody.

Bonuses and penalties to House Creation for Dornish Houses are:
    Quote Originally Posted by A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying: Pocket Edition
    Defense: +0
    Influence: -5
    Lands: +10
    Law: -5
    Population: +0
    Power: +10
    Wealth: +0
    Next the Stormlands!

Houses from the Stormlands in the Marches include Houses Swann, Selmy, Dondarrion, and Caron.

Bonuses and penalties for the Stormlands are as follows:
    Defense: +5
    Influence: +0
    Lands: -5
    Law: +10
    Population: -5
    Power: +5
    Wealth: +0
    Lastly, the Reach!

Reach-Lords in the Marches include Houses Tarly and Peake. During the Blackfyre Rebellion Peake sided with The King Who Bore the Sword, Daemon Blackfyre.

Bonuses and penalties for the Reach:
    Defense:-5
    Influence: +10
    Lands: +0
    Law: -5
    Population: +5
    Power: +0
    Wealth: +5
    Please let me know the region you're picking and your resources. Thanks, and happy gaming!

If anyone else is interested in participating, I am willing to take on one more player. Feel free to join in, if you're so inclined!
    Last edited by MonteCristo; 07-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.