Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236
Results 2,351 to 2,357 of 2357

Thread: Emerald City Knights (completed)

Re: Emerald City Knights Finale: Their Finest Hour

Kisai

"Well, I think I will be taking a sabbatical. I get the feeling there is something else the Dragon wants now, so I am going to go find out what that is," he says taking the drink.

"But with Witchgirl and Dragoneye, I know the Knights are covered against any magical threat."
    Last edited by kenseido; 05-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Jackie Frost
    HP: 3

Accepting the glass of shiraz Jackie then handed it to Warp "I don't think anyone will object if Warp has a drink tonight" Jackie says with a smile before taking another glass for herself.

Looking round the room she could see all the Knights were present no longer two separate groups but just one team, including Chrys whose appearance in space was as welcome as it was unexpected and maybe, not that she was superstitious, seen as an omen for a new beginning

"Thank you Mr Mars and I just want to say an even bigger thank you to everybody here, what you all did and achieved over the last couple of days was just amazing ... I ..."

Unusually for Jackie her voice catches and she seemed at a loss for words before she raised her glass in a toast "to the Knights"

"As to what now? I really don't know, once things have quieten down I would like to get a suntan on a beach in Fiji and go swimming with the dolphins for a week."

Yet Jackie was already aware that it may take a little longer for things to quieten down, there was a vacuum in Freedom City with no Atom Family or Freedom League and she could see that the Knights would need to have some sort of presence there and then ahh that can wait till tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisai

"Well, I think I will be taking a sabbatical. I get the feeling there is something else the Dragon wants now, so I am going to go find out what that is," he says taking the drink.

"But with Witchgirl and Dragoneye, I know the Knights are covered against any magical threat."
    "You need to do what you think is right " Jackie says quietly before mock punching him in the arm " .. but you better come back once you find out what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by kenseido View Post
    Kisai

There are solemn nods all around. Hornet salutes in jest.

"Kisai, there is something I want to say. Something I have wanted to say for a long time now, ever since the Dragon first left you after the battle with the Commander. I came closest to saying it a few days ago, during that last business with Diana..."

"But now it no longer needs to be said. I sense that you have overcome your own demons."

He smiles and claps you on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Frost View Post
    Accepting the glass of shiraz Jackie then handed it to Warp "I don't think anyone will object if Warp has a drink tonight" Jackie says with a smile before taking another glass for herself.

Looking round the room she could see all the Knights were present no longer two separate groups but just one team, including Chrys whose appearance in space was as welcome as it was unexpected and maybe, not that she was superstitious, seen as an omen for a new beginning

"Thank you Mr Mars and I just want to say an even bigger thank you to everybody here, what you all did and achieved over the last couple of days was just amazing ... I ..."

Unusually for Jackie her voice catches and she seemed at a loss for words before she raised her glass in a toast "to the Knights"

"As to what now? I really don't know, once things have quieten down I would like to get a suntan on a beach in Fiji and go swimming with the dolphins for a week."
    Warp takes the glass and sticks her tongue out at Mars, who shakes her head. "You're being a bad example, Jackie," he says, with a wry smile. "Perhaps there's still a bit of mischief in you, after all. He sinks into a nearby chair and nods. "Have a good long break. You've earned it. Make sure you see your family first and celebrate with them, too. Think of how proud they must be. Their daughter, leader of Earth's mightiest heroes."

"Then get a good rest. You'll need it, because when you come back, I'll be taking one of my own, and you'll be very busy as leader of the Knights and Earth's only greatest remaining superteam." Mars swirls his glass. "I'm retiring."

"What?!" come the cries from all around.

He takes a sip. "You heard it. I'm retiring. Marstech is in good hands -- I've been grooming Mallory to be my successor for a while now. The Knights have Jackie to lead them, Kisai to guide and advise them, and Chrysalis to keep their conscience clear. And they have a huge swathe of bright young talent." Mars sweeps his arm to indicate all present. "Don't get me wrong: I'll still be funding and supporting you as always. I just won't take as much of an active role as your sponsor anymore. This is the last step for the Knights to take to truly come into their own as a team and not as a project of Maximillian Mars. I'm getting old, and tired. I founded this team to make up for... that issue, that you know about." He shoots Jackie, Kisai and Chrysalis a meaningful look. "But it is very important to me that you are more than my redemption. You have proven mighty heroes in your own right, and no-one's tool."

There is silence for a while. "I hope this is not goodbye. And I hope to see you again, Jackie, after your vacation -- and you too, Kisai, after however long you need."

Finally, Chrysalis steps forward, synthetic muscle fibers whining, and embraces first Jackie, then Kisai. "You have been a true friend since the day I woke in the hospital," she says to Jackie Frost. "Good luck, Kisai. Whatever you go on to do, I'll never forget you brought me back from the abyss of death and gave me this new body. And now, you've left us with something to keep the future secure."

She holds up the unused canister of anti-Collapsar nanites, safely brought back from space. With effort, it might be possible to coax the nanites into self-replicating, and Earth -- and the galaxy -- will always have a defense against others of Collapsar's kind, if there are any out there.

End Season 2
    Last edited by Ysariel; 05-30-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Epilogue

For his attempt to foment war between the United States and Russia and thus restore the status of his former military unit, Aleksei, who deployed the Chernobog-V in EC, was convicted of high treason against the Russian Federation and sentenced to death by hanging.

With relationships between the U.S. and Russia deteriorating, Mikhail decided not to return to his home country. Disillusioned with the treatment the former members of Spetsgruppa Gamma had received, he settled in this strange new land under a false identity and became a civillian firearms instructor.

Having both lost its rationale for existence and failed to accomplish its mission, Majestic-20 slowly faded from existence, its remaining personnel vanishing into the dark and its bases falling silent. The hideous products of its research would continue to show up again from time to time in the hands of other villains.

Yvonne (a.k.a. Sleepwalker One) was adopted by a family in EC and went on to lead a relatively normal and happy life. She later became an accomplished reseracher in the emerging field of parahuman psychokinesis.

Dr. Genesis, the lobotimized geneticist who spearheaded Majestic-20's attempt to produce a super-powered army, was found guilty of crimes against humanity by a special international court formed to judge the members of the rogue organization, and sentenced to death by lethal injection. Oracle, Vector and others who surrendered all did time in Blackstone Prison following their convictions.

Quantum, the silver-haired leader of Majestic-20's agents, remains at large. Unable to let go of the thrill and sensation of power from those days, she became a super-powered mercenary for hire.

Gregor Malakov, a.k.a. Koschei the Deathless, proved to be not so deathless after all after losing his Viridian stone -- actually one half of a powerful Aeon artifact, the other half of which was in Majestic-20's possession and washed up on the shore following the Leviathan's destruction. By the time AEGIS scientists learned that the stone was preventing him dying of old age, it was too late to save him.

Takazumi Kaneda, the Steel Shogun, was trialed under human law and sentenced to life in prison for the attempted murder of Philip Saito. His children Ryu and Tomiko also received long sentences for kidnapping, during which the Knights thoroughly dismantled what was left of the Yakuza.

Following a landmark trial, Feng-Li Chen was convicted of money laundering, human trafficking, racketeering, drug running, and the murder of her late grandfather and patriarch of the Chen clan, Kong-Ru Chen. The Chinese community, while shocked to learn that a longstanding pillar of the community was a crook who had been sentenced to life in prison, took pride in the fact that handyman William Chin Wei-Lung a.k.a. Dragoneye was now a member of the Knights.

Specter, Dash, Captain Ersatz and Madame Macabre were sentenced to jail in Blackstone Prison for numerous and severe crimes. Unable to please her infernal benefactors, Madame Macabre had her powers and beauty stripped from her and died of old age in prison. Dash and Ersatz escaped during the Great Blackstone Breakout attempt of 2016 and both remain at large. Specter wisely choose to stay in prison this time around, having ticked off too many in the criminal fraternity in her schemes for power.

Deathtrap was disgraced by Kisai's announcement and would forever be viewed with suspicion by the criminal fraternity. Furious, his career and obsession in ruins, he would make one last desperate attempt to enact revenge and vindicate himself -- but that is a story for another day.

Diana Bellevance left for Europe as she promised to, and was never seen again. The Bellevance family faded in power following the loss of their magical heritage, finally ending an east-west rivalry that had persisted for over a century.

Dragoneye's golden dragon mysteriously did not leave his side after the battle against Collapsar, stating cryptically that there were still "interesting times" to see.

While still a little rough around the edges, Warp eventually became a valued member of the team and entered a relationship with Hornet.

The day after the battle in space, Rocky was mobbed by calls from his agent that he fired and dozens of others, looking to work with him to bring the long-awaited Emerald City Knights: The Movie to the big screen.

Chrysalis, Hornet, Xeno and Ultramarine formed a special squad of the Emerald City Knights to make safe all the battle sites and supervillain lairs around the city. Together, they would map out Majestic-20's Pit and the vast subterranean city of the Lemurians under Mt. Stanley, the heart of the civilization that had drawn the Aeons' attention millenia ago.

Spellweaver, Dragoneye and Witchgirl took over the duties of magical defense from Kisai, and they would spend years deciphering the library of hidden lore the Lemurians left behind -- and guarding it from would-be evildoers.

Mars never remarried, and as he grew older he left more and more of the team's management to Jackie, eventually withdrawing from public life.

Glitch continued working on her computer science degree while also blogging about the Knights as an amateur journalist, and eventually became known as an unofficial authority on the team's exploits.

Agents MacKenzie and Nguyen refused promotions to continue working with the team for years to come.

Kisai's father never recovered fully, and lived out the remainder of his days in quiet obscurity, leaving management of the family's affairs to his children.

Jackie's mother was immensely pleased with the present that Jackie got her: returning alive from the most harrowing battle of her life so far.

With the power of the Majestic-20, the Russian mafia, the Yakuza, and the Golden Dragon Society broken, Emerald City entered a period of peace and prosperity as never before. The few eventful years that followed Mars's founding of the Emerald City Knights would not be forgotten as a high point in the city's history when its citizens and heroes displayed bravery beyond all expectations.
    Last edited by Ysariel; 05-30-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Re: Emerald City Knights: Epilogue

Kisai

Philip is with Jackie as she departs for her vacation.

"I do not know when I will see you again, little Sister. But we will always be family, and nothing can every truly separate us."

He watches her leave and has the strongest sensation of uncertainty. He doesn't know where his destiny lies now, just that it isn't here.

He next finds himself walking the Yellow Brick Road, where it all started for him. The Silver Storm. The Dragon. The Knights. Seems like a lifetime ago.

So lost in thoughts he almost misses the young kid on a skateboard whizz by him.

Philip lets out a heavy sigh as his hand pats his now empty pocket. In a flash, his tuxedo manifests and he is gone in a blur.

Carlos, two blocks away, rounds another corner before pulling out his prize. He recognized Philip from the Glitch's video blogs. Those domino masks were never very good at keeping identities secret, and recently, Philip had stopped trying to hide his identity.

Stealing a superhero's wallet was surely enough to get him in the 9th Streeters.

"I'm sorry, but you're going to need to give that back."

The sudden appearance of Kisai in his path causes him to wipe out. Only the timely appearance of a Dragon wrapping him up in his tail prevents young Carlos from face planting into a parked car.

The Dragon lets him down and lets out a soft coo while Philip looks at the Dragon curiously.

"Woah, cool. That's an actual Dragon. I thought it was just lighting effects."

"No it's an actual Dragon. Ancient guardian of the Earth."

"That's pretty wicked. How do I get one?"

Kisai continue to look puzzled at the Dragon who just stares at young Carlos. "I think you just did."

Carlos' jaw drops in surprise as he looks at Kisai and then the Dragon.

"Are you saying..."

"Yep."

"How... what... what am I supposed to do with it?"

"You do what's right. I guess I am supposed to help you."

"I... I... I don't think that's right. You're friends will help me."

What do you mean?"

"He wants to thank you, Philip."

The Dragon's tail whips in front of Philip and reality is split. A portal opens up in front of him. As he looks through, he sees a familiar sight.

Auld Lang Syne.

Speechless, he turns to the Dragon, tears forming in his eyes.

"But... I..." The Dragon's head moves close to Philip and nuzzles him as the hero hugs the giant Dragon head.

As he steps away, from the Dragon, and now his tuxedo is transformed into white royal robes warn by some of the fey.

"I'll miss you."

The Dragon coos softly and motions his head towards the portal.

"Take care of the team," he tells the pair of them as he walks through the portal.

On the other side, he looks back one last time. "Samuel is going to be pissed."

He turns and walks away as the portal closes. Carlos hops on the Dragon's back and the Dragon takes flight with Carlos riding him like a skateboard.

Jackie Frost

"Okay now I didn't expect that" Jackie muttered to herself before getting up from behind the large desk in what had become referred to as her office in Knights Tower since Mars had retired .... good grief was it already 4 or 5 years ago.

It was kind of funny now how their relationship had evolved over the years from been pretty much in awe to suspicious to now more of a mentor come sounding board and they still caught up at least every couple of months.

Making her way over to the extensive liquor cabinet along one wall Jackie reached automatically for her favourite bottle of bourbon before stopping and deciding that making herself a green tea was a better choice.

As she went through the tea making motions Jackie's mind was racing jumping from thought to thought in no particular order

"Maybe I can finally have that holiday afterall" Jackie had made it to the private island resort in Fiji for her me-time all those years ago but in the end spent less than a day there after coming across that mad scientist who wanted to turn the island into a volcano to provide the energy for some death thingee whatsit ... Ultramarine and Mallory had tried to explain it to her later as with some tweaking the idea could be beneficial as another source of clean energy for the world "Nothing like starting small .. it was still in the planning stage today .. the active volcano requirement was an issue with the focus groups ...".

And she still wasn't happy with Ultramarine after she (and Jackie still couldn't believe it took her nearly a year to work out that Ultramarine was actually a chick) decided to design a suit of armour for her little sister Sian because she wanted to step back from the front line.

But it was kind of becoming a family tradition, after qualifying Gerry had turned up insisting he was going to serve on the Knights medical staff, what do you mean you don't have one, yes Spellweaver can fix anything by magic but what if she is in some other dimension, okay you now have a medical support team and I am not listening to my little sister tell me "no".

Fortunately Warp assured her that she was going to keep a close eye on Sian or Muirisc as she was calling herself when she started serving on the Freedom City Knights team.

And that had been an issue too, Freedom City wanted the Knights to relocate there and rename themselves the Freedom League, in the end they set up another branch of the Knights who were still trying to make sense of some of the items left behind by the League and the Atom Family after their passing away. The talk of setting up a third team in the south of the country was still on the back burner as a number of politicians were getting nervous along with some of the higherups in AEGIS although Jackie was sure it would happen one day now if she could find another member of AEGIS that she could trust as much as agents MacKenzie and Nguyen to be the liaison then it might be sooner than later.

And from what Witchgirl could glean Phillip was still very happy in the land of the Fae and from the cryptic messages she received from time to time Ivan was still fighting some shadowy war that only he knew about or since it had been over a year since the last one about resting he had found somewhere to enjoy a well deserved retirement.

Returning to her chair Jackie looked down .... nope it was still showing the two thin pink lines one slightly fainter than the other just the other three beside it.

Now how to break the news gently to Eric and then well it was going to be a whole new adventure and if anyone even thinks of telling her that she can't do this or that in her condition then they don't really know Aoife Kearney at all.
    Last edited by Gilliam; 06-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.

While the stories of our heroes go on, here ends the story of the Knights.

As their deeds and fame grew, they would come to be known by a different name,

For they were no longer the defenders of a single West Coast city, but protectors of all the world.

But Emerald City never forgot those early, heady days of heroism and the adventures of the team it always considered its own.

The city and its people will forever remember them as

The Emerald City Knights

The End

Last edited by Ysariel; 06-01-2018 at 05:27 PM.