Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Superhero Literature

Re: Superhero Literature

Going Through the Change

This is the first of four reviews I'll be posting. The third book in the series, and some short stories, are coming out, and I volunteered to be an Advance Reader, so Curiosity Quills sent me the first two books.

Menopause and superpowers, seems like a weird combination, no? But in this case, it really does work. Four women using Cindy Liu's alternative medicine remedies develop powers ranging from flight to super-strength and turning into a man to armored skin to the ability to throw flame. The parallels are obvious to menopausal issues such as lightheadedness, hormone changes, eczema, and hot flashes. The characters are well developed with their own little foibles. The action was a little disjointed, with scenes frequently changing characters without notice. I liked that it was nearly halfway through the book before there was some sort of villain, and that the heroes were far from tactically proficient. It makes sense that it would take time to adjust to having powers, and that the primary danger would be domestic.

I received this book for free from Curiosity Quills in exchange for a fair and unbiased review. Last note, the editing was on point here, much as I have come to expect from their releases.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.

Swarm by Scott Westerfield

One of the things that I liked about the first book was the thematic tie the powers had in connections between people. By their nature, the Zeroes both affected the world and had the world affect them back. For all of their faults, the Zeroes were trying to use their powers to do good things, and at the start of this book, they're trying to continue to do so with their illegal nightclub, The Petri Dish, wherein they can manipulate people, but for a good cause. The problem is, they're not the only people with powers, and not everyone is above the influence.

Enter Glitch and Coin (names provided for them by Nate / Bellweather, a couple who are using their powers to wreak havoc, in part because they can and in part for the attention. And, in part, because they're trying to hide from something more powerful, the eponymous Swarm, who's hunting Zeroes...

I liked the book. The Zeroes, for all of their powers, are very vulnerable, and the nature of their powers and how they connect to other people means interpersonal conflict can wreck them. Relationships built up in the first book are strained to the breaking point, and sometimes past it, and not everyone survives. Because frankly, they're kids, and their brilliant plans sometimes amount to naught. The book does jump around a lot, constantly switching perspectives, but the person's POV is stated at the beginning of each chapter, so it's not too difficult to follow.

One of the other things I really liked about the book is that it handles the trauma of what they've gone through. Kelsey doesn't just brush off being locked in a trunk in the first book. Thibault is deeply wounded by the abandonment of his family, and what he has to do in the climax of the book, leaving him even more alone. Nate is crushed when he encounters a situation his power can't handle. Despite their powers, they're just kids, and they don't just shake it off. I like that.
    My Builds

Current games:
    None. Focus issues.

Inceptor

Has anybody here read the 1977 Robert Mayer novel Superfolks? It's one of my favorites. Kurt Busiek acknowledges as it as very influential on his work. Alan Moore, unsurprisingly, denies it influenced his (despite Grant Morrison's claims to the contrary.)

My other favorites are the Wild Cards line and that pair of Elliot S! Maggin Superman novels someone mentioned upthread.

Keeper of Secrets

I've read the first two wildcard books and loved them, but the third one didn't grab me as much so when other stuff came up in life I didn't bother going back to it.

Keeper of Secrets

The fourth book in Jim Bernheimer's Confessions of a D-List Supervillain series, Rise of a D-List Supervillain, is out now.

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-D-List-S...dp/B0754DJHKK/
    The United Federation of Charles: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger