Page 246 of 382 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 3817

Thread: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #21: Double Dare

Greystone:
    [Jack Rexroth]
    HP: 2

Once Ellen understood the workings of his new power, at least as much as he did that is, Jack shared with her what Newton and Oates had talked to him about - his sending a duplicate to Pandora to learn what it could about the Armada. "I'm going to do it." He says quietly.

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #21: Double Dare

Alex "Current" Murphy
    HP: 0 (1-1 HP Reroll) CND: Fatigued

Lex bursts out laughing from his position on the floor before thrusting a fist up in the air and shouting in a defiant tone, "Never give up! Never surrender!"

He makes a quick attempt at a kip-up, proceeds in getting nowhere, stares down at his stomach and mutters like Edna Mode,
    "My god I've gotten fat."

A second later he's back on his feet, his second attempt a success,
    "See? If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

"Besides, you didn't do anything, I did. Don't steal my agency. I chose to try and I regret nothing,"
    He shakes his left arm making his bracelet jingle and slide into his hand so he can hold it up for her to see, "You think getting hurt's ever stopped me? Getting bumped by your field? That's nothing."

"The look on your face right now? That hurts,"
    he cricks his head to the left then to the right, "So, if Ellen can get past that shield, then I can get past that shield. And you need a hug. And it might be only for a few seconds, but I'm going to give you one hell of a hug."

"So, those are your options, hug or be hugged!"
    He declares, then smiles evily, tossing the bracelet up towards Kirstie's face hoping to distract her, "Catch!"

And then he charges in again, arms wide open.

OOC:
    Acrobatics check: 1D20+12 = [1]+12 = 13Acrobatics check 2: 1D20+12 = [19]+12 = 31
    Second hug attack: 1D20+12 = [12]+12 = 24
    You can probably end this whenever you want, but Lex is going to keep trying until he succeeds, until Kirstie laughs, or she finally decides she's had enough of his shenanigans.

Failure with this attempt will be met with a "Tis but a flesh wound".
    Success? "Don't look at me like I'm fricken' Frankenstein, give your boyfriend a hug!"
    ... I need professional help.

OPA Belta

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #22: You Bet Your Life

NEW VINDICATORS ACADEMY OF EUROPE #22: You Bet Your Life

PANDORA (Jack)
    “Jack Rexroth, a.k.a. Chimera, you have been found guilty of terrorism tactics, including improved explosive devices and murder.

“You are hereby sentenced to life in Pandora, with your sentence to be carried out immediately. Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

A moment later, the door in Jack’s sell opened, revealing nothing but a curtain of cascading energy. “You will step through the portal,” said the voice cutting across the monitor. Since surrendering himself, he had not seen anyone. He had been drugged before being transported to the Hague—he assumed he was in the Hague—and woke up to find himself alone and in a small cell. There was no window—no door—just a narrow cot, a chair, and a sink built into the tank of her toilet.

A few minutes after he awoke, the monitor turned on, and his trial began in another room. They had asked him if she wanted a defender. He waived the right to be represented. It was all part of Newton’s plan to spy on those condemned to Pandora—those who found themselves conscripted into the Armada. He pled guilty, waiting to simply be sentenced…

Walking through the portal, Jack could feel the sun on his skin. He felt a breeze. He heard birds chirping. There were no stone walls or iron bars. There no men in drab uniforms, patrolling catwalks while holding clubs or guns. As a prison, Pandora was just a field in the middle of nowhere.

“Tabby?”

His father’s voice brought him around. Turning, he found the field littered with hundreds of people—many of which looked perplexed. They didn’t have the advantage he did: they did not know the nature of Pandora before being sentenced here.

He watched as his father laughed delightedly—the first time he could recall having heard happiness in the man’s voice in a long time. He watched as the man scooped Jason’s mother into his arms. “It’s you!” he laughed as he spun around with her. “It’s really you!”

“Where in ze ‘ell are we?” asked a man close by. “I was sentenced to life in prison and-”

“Grand-père!”

The boy came out of nowhere and wrapped his arms around the man. The man quickly bounced back from the shock and shoved the youth away. “I am no one’s grand-”

“Why do you look so young?” the young man asked. Jack knew him. It was one of the Vitesse brothers. “You look just like you did in the photos nana has hanging on the walls.”

“You’re confused,” the man hissed. “I’m not-”

“You’re Maurice Vitesse, yes? I am your grandson, Tristan—Ligier’s son!”

“Ligier! That… That’s not…”

The sound of steel on steel rang out across the field. Jack turned and took in the sight of Cleave and Cleave swinging swords at each other. As they each let go of their swords—swords that continued to float in the air—a third Cleave charged at them, also holding a sword.

He watched as Vlad’s mother charged forward and opened her mouth. Caramel erupted from her maw and sprayed over the three men, binding them and stopping their assault. “Everyone stop!” she roared. “This isn’t solving anything!”

“She’s right!” snarled a muscular Asian man. “We’re all confused! We all want answers, but this isn’t the way to go about getting them! Everyone, just sit down, and we’ll figure-”

“Why the hell should I listen to you?” snarled the man Jack knew as Paragon. “Who the hell put you in charge, old man?”

“Yeah!” It was Tefvik Rauf—Zehrili—who had chimed in.

“No one,” the Asian man said calmly, “but I know the people who put me here, and I know that they wouldn’t have put me here if they thought I could get back easily. That means we’re stuck here—we’re stuck here with each other… We might as well play nice-”

Jets of crimson flames streamed from Paragon’s eyes and burned the space the Asian man had just been occupying. “You had your shot,” he growled. Suddenly, a black spike exploded from the ground, shooting through the attacker’s stomach, and out his back.

Dennis had told him about that. It was how Montana Monroe had been killed in the dimension he’d briefly visited.

“My name is Chen Lei!” the man roared. “Admiral Chen Lei, of the People’s Liberation Army Navy! I am a Special, and this…” Another spike erupted from the ground, stopping just inches from the youth’s throat. “…is my power!

“Many of you seem to be Specials. Am I correct in assuming that everyone here is?” When no one said anything to shoot down his theory, he nodded. “Good. Now, does anyone have anything resembling a healing ability?”

A man stepped forward. “I can cast a spell to knit flesh and mend bones.” Jack recognized him, too. He’d written a report about him in the eighth grade. He was Wight, the Aurelius’ brother. He had been brought down in the nineties. “What do you need?”

Chen Lei nodded to Paragon. “Heal him.” Before the magus went to work, the Admiral knelt before the boy. “I’m willing to excuse your impudence on the stressful predicament we currently find ourselves in, but if you cannot control yourself, I will end you.”

Gesturing to two men, Chen Lei asked them their names. Jack knew one as Ironside—the man who had attacked Vienna University when Otso’s father held a rally there. The other introduced himself as Womack. “You both look strong. Can you help get the boy off the spike?”

Chen Lei watched impassively as the magus healed the boy. Once he was finished, Chen Lei examined the wound. “Impressive work. Might I ask your name, sir?”

“Wight,” the magus said.

“I loathe homonyms,” Chen Lei said, smirking at him. “As in the spirit or the color?”

“Both,” Wight explained. “My name is Peter White, as in the color. Back home, I took the identity Wight, as in the spirit.” He looked confused for a moment. “Have… have you not heard of me?”

“I have,” Confectionery said. “You were the Aurelius’ brother, right?”

“I still am,” Wight said.

“You were beaten by the Vindicators years ago.”

Wight looked even more perplexed. “My brother and his little friends bested me yesterday.”

Confectionery raised an eyebrow at that. “What year do you think it is?”

“1991,” Wight said.

Maurice laughed. “Fool, it’s 1987.”

“It’s 2008,” Confectionery said.

“2007,” grumbled the boy Chen Lei had run through.

“2018,” said an older Violet Lear, garbed only in black lingerie.

“This doesn’t make any sense,” Confectionery said.

“It makes too much sense,” Wight said. “The Vindicators… Crusader’s team returned from a parallel world. There are three of that man who summons swords. Perhaps we are all from different universes?”

Confectionery looked to Maurice. “You were sentenced to Pandora, yes?”

Maurice nodded. “For larceny across Europe…”

Confectionery looked at everyone gathered around them. “Is there anyone here who wasn’t sentenced to life in prison?”

No one said anything.

“Okay, so… we have a bunch of different parallel worlds who decided to make some backwater dimension into their own personal Australia… only the portal used to send people here is set to a fixed point in time, so that no matter when you were sentenced, you all arrive at the same time?”

Maurice looked to Tristan. “Then… you are my grandson?”

Tristan wiped away a tear. “You were apprehended before my brothers and I were born,” he explained. “Nana told me about a man who came to your house once… He told her that you had been apprehended and sentenced to life in Pandora. We were told that we could not see you—not contact you… She was told that there was no chance for parole…”

“What… what year was it?” Maurice’s voice was shaking. He was terrified of what the answer might be. “What year do you come from?”

“2008.”

Maurice choked. “Twenty… No, twenty-one… I’ve missed twenty-one years?” Golden flames blazed in his eyes. “My wife had to spend twenty-one years not knowing if I was dead or… I missed watching my son grow up? I missed my grandson’s birth!”

“Grandsons,” corrected a boy who looked identical to Tristan.

“Great,” Wight grumbled, “more doubles.”

“Twins,” Tristan corrected.

“Quadruplets,” corrected Confectionery. “I know you two… Stendhal and Tristan Vitesse. The world I come from, you were both brought down robbing a bank-”

“We were looking for information on Pandora,” Stendhal explained. “We were looking to free you.”

“Did Francois or Antoinne…?”

“No.” It was another figure Jack knew. It was Viktor DeGallow—Caballero. One of the speedsters sneered at him and Jack knew why: Impasse had been with the group who had apprehended two of the brothers. “My partner and I did a job for this man—Siegfried? Your brothers were part of that group. I don’t believe they were caught, though…”

“This is getting out of hand,” Chen Lei said. “We need to sit down and figure this out—figure out who came from what dimension… Maybe formulate a timeline… If only we had something to write with, we could…” A heavy sigh escaped from him. “This… this is going to take a while…”

Quote Originally Posted by Michuru81
    Those of you with Pandora PCs, jump in.

Monday, May 11, 2009 – First Period

NVAE (Jack)
    It had been over a week since Jack fabricated a clone to send on a one-way trip to Pandora. Thanks to Martin’s help, he didn’t need to sustain it—thus avoiding the strain that Chimera had succumbed to. Instead, Martin supplemented some mass of his own, allowing Jack to make an independent duplicate.

Unfortunately, he had no way of knowing how that duplicate was doing. Even Martin, who had been able to simultaneously observe both his and Ursa’s pursuit of Chimera, was incapable of knowing the status of his donated mass. Now, Jack feared, if his clone learned anything, he would be unable to relay that information until it was too late.

Still, Newton asserted that that was their intention. His duplicate’s role was not to act as a saboteur, but as a spy. If, as Vlad’s father believed, the Armada arrived in this dimension, Jack’s double might be able to tell them how stop them.

That was another thing that bothered Jack: it had been over nine weeks since he’d last seen Vlad. Together, with Herta, they had gone to Romania and taken down Vlad’s father. Herta had ran back to the school; Jack had returned and reabsorbed the double he left to give himself an alibi. The Romanian government placed the four children under Radu Radikovich’s roof with the New Vindicators Academy of Europe… but Vlad had not returned. Despite the headmistress’ best efforts, the Romanian government was not disclosing his friend’s fate.

Still, Newton believed that there was a potential way of retrieving Jack’s double prior to the Armada arriving in their dimension. After telling Newton about what he had learned from Dennis—that magic had banished Herzog Kasamir, Graf Oscar, and their ritter to Pandora—the man pledged to use every available resource into finding a magical way of locating Jack’s duplicate and bringing him home.

All Jack could do was wait—which wasn’t so hard with Ellen on his arm. With less than a month left in the semester, she was still holding out hope that he could spend the summer—her last summer—with her at her home in England… that was, unless MI18’s storming the school looking to arrest him for Chimera’s actions didn’t sour him on her motherland.

Mister Carmichael’s entrance snapped him from his reverie. “I hope everyone had a good weekend,” his fellow inmate from Peoria intoned. “Now, if you’ll all open your textbooks to page two-fifty-four, we’ll start our section on genetics—specifically how they factor into people like us.

“As you all hopefully know, Neo-Sapiens inherit their abilities from one or more of their parents. I take after my father, for instance.”

That brought a grimace from Jack’s Irish classmate: Randy O’Shae had inherited his powers from his father, Robor, who had worked with Siegfried to attack the school.

It was just one more thought to put aside—one more thing he was powerless to do anything about—and focused on Carmichael’s lesson.

After that, it was second period class: painting, followed by P.E. From there, it was just one more hour until he could see Ellen again.

Standing in the hall, Jack could see her through the glass of Ashworth’s door. The man was going on about something and she was looking extremely impatient. As he stood there waiting, Randy bumped into him, dropping his books to the floor as he tumbled back onto his bum.

OUBLIETTE-333 (Dennis; NPCs: Derryl, Gregaro, Haley, Jessica, John, Montana, Otso)
    Dennis opened the door to his classroom and found himself in Haley’s office once more. “Dennis?” asked a perplexed Haley. She rushed to his side, accompanied by Montana and Otso. “It is you!” she exclaimed. “We were so afraid you’d been killed when Infinity was reset!”

LIBRARY (Harry, Violet; NPCs: Lexus, Rose)
    Once upon a time, in days of yore, educators gathered to discuss how best to torture their students. Ultimately, they created the group project—a tactic akin to human trafficking on the list of crimes against humanity. There was no crueler thing a teacher could do to their students, and Ashworth, it seemed, had been wronged by his: the final exam for his modern western civilization class was a group project.

Four groups were going to have to give a multimedia presentation on a topic assigned by the man. Harry, Violet, Rose, and Lexus found themselves planning how best to handle the Napoleonic Wars.

While it seemed as though they had dodged a bullet in not being paired with someone as brooding as Mike or as volatile as Steven, or insufferable as Napoleon (“Can you imagine having to present the Napoleonic Wars with Napoleon in your group?” Lexus had growled. “He tried to defend Napoleon’s invasion of Russia as a brilliant military tactic.”). Ultimately, it seemed that they were still doomed to suffer, as Rose felt there was no better use of her time than hitting on Harry.

“Everyone always thinks the French make the best lovers, but there’s no one more romantic than the Italians. Wouldn’t you agree, Harry?”

“Blue is one of my favorite colors. It really compliments me.”

“Is there a sexier accent than Welsh? I bet with all those trilled ‘R’s you really know how to use your tongue.”

Today, sitting across the table from him, she said nothing: she just brushed her leg against his.

Repeatedly.

While looking at him knowingly.

Wearing a roguish grin.

VIENNA (Otso; NPCs: Kowalski)
    Otso’s father had invited him out for coffee after his last class let out. Sitting across from him, the teen could tell something was troubling the man. He’d never seen his father look more nervous. “Okay, I know… I know I haven’t exactly been in the picture, and maybe you think I don’t really have the right, but… I need… I just want you to… You and Beatrice have been dating for a while, and I wondered—not that I… not that I think about that, but I just…

“If you two are sexually active, I just want you to be safe. That’s all.”

TOKYO, CAFETERIA (Lex and Martin; NPCs: Gaspar)
    “I’m going to cut right to it,” Gaspar said, sitting down with his friends, “I think Martin should do that thing you guys were talking about—where he put an eye on Otso or whatever?—only he needs to put it on Xun to see what he’s up to.”

Gaspar’s paranoia about the Chinese teen had not diminished in the weeks they’d been enrolled at the New Vindicators Academy of Asia. According to Gaspar, Xun was a villain in the dimension he’d gone to with Jack, Kas, Harry, and Astrid. That Xun mysteriously disappeared each night, and always seemed to shake Gaspar, only raised the Spaniard’s suspicions all the more. “I’m telling you, he’s up to something. I don’t know what, but he’s bad news. I mean, for all we know, he’s a spy for Laputa!”

OPA Belta

Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #22: You Bet Your Life

Fluxx

Martin looked skeptically at Gaspar. "Ze King and Queen of Laputa were captured, zier court killed or imprisoned. Wizout ze genius of a Lamperouge and ze construction potential of a Curie zey could not still be active. And before you ask, no, I've not 'eard back from Elle but she and Talley seemed to genuinely 'ave ozer goals."

He checked his phone again, accessing his e-mail. Still no response from London Electric. He was working his way up the management chain slowly in order to get someone to take his prophetic knowledge seriously. At least he was out of the level of scripted responses like 'London Electric conducts vigorous safety inspections' and 'Environmental Protection is one of our primary concerns'. He would go mad listening to another one of those.

OPA Belta

Locus
    VP: 1

Whatever Locus had been expecting of the mysterious Pandora, well, this obviously wasn't it. Neither it seemed, were anyone else of the convoluted assembly. At least the certainty of Interpol and the authorities made sense now. Locus had worked out over time that his teleportation ranged extended to pretty much anywhere on Earth.

Another Earth/world, though? Somehow he doubted he could pull that off. And now he was stuck with a horde of other super-criminals from other worlds also feeling antsy. So when the Chinese admiral began to institute order, Carlos decided it would be a very good idea to aid him.

"Perhaps someone among the senors or senoras has a way to with some chalk?"

Imago
    HP: 3

"No, I wound up back home when that happened." Dennis explained to her. On one hand, this was not something he was anxious to repeat. On the other hand, no Steven Murphy - which more than made up in emotional relief. "Apparently, this is happening again for me."

An awkward pause. "Look... thanks for going out with the cameras. I know it's fucking awful to do this again and again. I've passed everything on to my people. We've identified some more of them." Another thing occurred to him to check. "This may sound strange, but have you suddenly started seeing a Jack Rexroth among the Armada?"
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Crinoverse - Young Avengers
    Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
    Crinoverse - Time After Time
    Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
    Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
    Extreme Unction

OPA Belta

Ganze

Jeanette made her way to the center of the group, toward the current leader. Though being on the outskirts, her ability to sense even minute molecular vibrational changes allowed her to track the entire goings ons. She annoyedly stepped around a gawker then paused in surprise, "Screamer?" the Laputa knight she knew as Captain Nelson was a vegetable where she came from, a victim of some mental witch's manipulations. She shrugged off the familiarity and continued forward, scooping up a few stones as she did so. They turned white in her hand and she was disgusted by the increased effort it took her. She'd lost so much power when her other have, Deiter, had died at the hands of those meddling students.
    Approaching, she offered them out toward the admiral. "Calcium Carbonate..., chalk." she says, her brusk German accent thick. She gave the briefest glance at the Spaniard who first spoke. "Mien povers allow me to synzesize compounds unt chemicals. I am Ganze. Zough zat name is more ironic now zan anyzink else." Her words seem tinged by deep loss, and anger because of it.
    Last edited by flynnarrel; 02-24-2016 at 05:39 PM.

The Adversary

The thin man with the pock-marked arms laughed and laughed-he actually reared his head back. It was abrasive and loud.

"Oh...you're serious." He trailed off.

"It matters pretty much not at all about a timeline of when we were sent here. All that matters is what we do now. Besides, if you're really concerned rattle it all off-I'll remember and be able to tell you whenever you ask. My memory is...perfect."
    Last edited by Arthur Eld; 02-24-2016 at 09:13 PM.

The Blue Knight

Gwyn had always considered himself good at hiding his emotions and inner thoughts from others. As a superhero (Robert rarely actually used that term, which Gwyn thought was lame) it was necessary-he'd gotten skilled at keeping his expression neutral when people around him discussed him The Blue Knight or Paladin, not that it happened that often, or any of the various criminals they encountered. He'd even been able to make his dimensional double entertain the possibility of his, and thus their, having a twin.

But this time, he was very sure both Lexus and Violet were no doubt able to read his expressions like a bold-faced book. Expressions was honestly giving them too much credit, they were simply 'faces.' Undignified and obvious.

He was afraid his mouth moved for longer than was normal before sounds actually come out. "Uh...so Napoleon? He weren't so bad, ya? If he hadn't hadda fight nearly all of Europe so many times, he might'a won. We could mention how the various Coalitions were motivated by...um....fear?" His voice was embarrassingly high-pitched.

Greystone:
    [Jack Rexroth]
    HP: 1

Standing in the hall, Jack could see her through the glass of Ashworth’s door. The man was going on about something and she was looking extremely impatient. As he stood there waiting, Randy bumped into him, dropping his books to the floor as he tumbled back onto his bum.
    "What the hell!?" Jack exclaimed when Randy ran into him, but upon turning and seeing who it was the American relaxed. "Damn Randy, you gotta watch out." He said as he offered his classmate a hand up, then he helped pick up the other teen’s dropped books. "Something on your mind?" Jack asked.

Greystone:
    [Jack Rexroth]
    HP: 1

Jack listened as the various inmates of Pandora talked, already noting who was likely going to be in charge, while he kept quiet. He had to admit that it was a shock to see a number of people he "recognized", let alone the rush of emotions he experienced upon seeing Dale.

For now he decided to keep quiet unless someone spoke to him.