Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oubliette

OPA Belta

Re: Oubliette

I think you mean the students of the NVA-NA (North America).
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Crinoverse - Young Avengers
    Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
    Crinoverse - Time After Time
    Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
    Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
    Extreme Unction

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic One View Post
    I think you mean the students of the NVA-NA (North America).
    Force of habit. I do more with the NVAE.

OPA Belta

Also, you should really refine the entry to say: James Loder, Psychopathic Brat. The faculty really should do something about that competition.

So, pardon any narcissism in my question: is/was there Imago in the Tabula Rasa verse?
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Extreme Unction

OPA Belta

Also, you should really refine the entry to say: James Loder, Psychopathic Brat. The faculty really should do something about that competition.

So, pardon any narcissism in my question: is/was there Imago in the Tabula Rasa verse?
    It is entirely possible, but none was ever planned. I'm working to slowly post my notes on the Tabula Rasa world--a world my tabletop group played in well over two years ago. In the world, there are several branches of Vindicators based out of every major city, allowing better response times. It stands to reason that Imago could easily be a part of one of those teams and could retroactively inserted onto a roster. The game, however, is pretty much done though. Without giving away much of the plot, the Tabula Rasa story plays into the Armada story.

OPA Belta

Black Box

Leader: Doctor Cheryl Colbenson
    Roster: Caliber, Iron Curtain, Okami, Phase, Stockholm, Tide, Tinnitus, Tusk

Base of Operations: Several

First Appearance: New Vindicators #27

Biography: Doctor Noah Meinstein’s right-hand woman, Doctor Cheryl Colbenson, was sent to Kaffeklubben Island in order to salvage the instruments left by his father’s experiments. There, the woman discovered a cube that—according to Doctor Alexander Meinstein’s notes—was a Hyperborean artifact capable of restoring lost memories. Doctor Alexander Meinstein had been working on a way of reversing the artifact’s supernatural ability and created a device that could use the cube to alter memories instead. Discovering Gregaro Vincentsson frozen nearby, they freed him and opted to make him their first test subject: with the aid of the cube, they were able to manipulate his memories and even implant subliminal commands that could be triggered with a string of words.

Seeing the power the cube possessed, Colbenson moved to install herself as the Director of SPB Affairs. She used the cube on Colonel Sidell, causing him to tender his resignation and recommend the unknown woman as his replacement. Boasting General Arthur Colbenson as a father, the woman secured the position on the eve of Senator Bedford's assassination.

The presidential candidate's death was serendipitous for Colbenson, who had hoped to use her new position as a way of subjugating Neo-Sapiens beneath her. In the wake of the news, she revealed the existence of the New Vindicators Academy of America and charged a new agency--Black Box--with raiding the campus. Though many escaped arrest, Black Box subdued several students, as well as many members of the faculty. They transported them to Peoria, where Colbenson employed Meinstein's technology to assess the Astral Plane, where she erected an internment camp. Black Box claimed to be doing this for the protection of Neo-Sapiens, presuming that the general public would respond with violence in the days after the Bedford assassination.

At the same time, Black Box continued to use the cube to restructure the memories of several young Neo-Sapiens, turning them into her own soldiers. Even though the New Vindicators liberated the prisoners of Black Box's camp, the militia continued to round up SPBs. In the wake of Apocatastasis' assault on New York City, they suffered strikes executed by the Affiliation, designed to engage Black Box in attrition warfare. Almost a year later, maintaining Black Box became economically impossible, and only a skeleton crew remained.

Wanting desperately to win the war against Neo-Sapiens, Colbenson began to hunt for her half-sister. As a Nephilim, Autumn had an ability to generate a force field that nullified the abilities of Neo-Sapiens caught inside it. With augmentation from Doctor Meinstein, the reach of Autumn's powers was now global. Doctor Colbenson depleted the last of her resources to invade Patriot Robotics, liberate her sister, and activate her abilities. With their powers gone, the Vindicators and the Affiliation teamed up to stop Colbenson's machinations. Prompt, a student of the New Vindicators Academy and a former prisoner of Black Box's internment camp, ultimately killed Autumn Colbenson and forced what remained of Black Box to retreat.

Goals: Black Box strives to protect normal humans from Neo-Sapiens, and frequently take extreme measures to accomplish these goals. They have arrested Neo-Sapiens and known blood relatives of Neo-Sapiens, jailing them in an extra-dimensional internment camp. They have also utilized a Hyperborean relic--the Black Box for which they are named--to reconfigure the thoughts of super-powered beings, transforming them into loyal soldiers in their army.

Prisoner Log: Utilizing the files they obtained from their raid of the New Vindicators Academy of America, Black Box began rounding up known Neo-Sapiens and anyone related to them (as they could potentially be Neo-Sapiens as well). These people were taken to an internment camp in Peoria, Illinois. Upon entering, each prisoner was branded with a five-digit registration number on the inside of their right arm.

• 00001: Norman Goodman (Crag and Mist's son)
    • 00002: Eli Cron (Crag and Mist's son's boyfriend)
    • 00003: Bartholomew Hart (Bio and Siphon's father)
    • 00004: Bethany Hart (Bio and Siphon's mother)
    • 00009: John Styles (Halogen's father)
    • 00010: Diane Styles (Halogen's mother)
    • 00013: Dwight
    • 00014: Nicole DiMera (Pandroa's mother)
    • 00015: Bud Jordan (Rift's father)
    • 00016: Corrine Quequesha-Jordan (Nephilim; Rift's mother)
    • 00018: Ford Freeman (Onyx's father)
    • 00019: James Titus (Tide's father)
    • 00020: Annie Titus (Tide's mother)
    • 00021: Martin Miller (Haymaker's son)
    • 00022: Regina Campbell-Miller (Haymaker's daughter-in-law)
    • 00023: Isaiah Miller (Haymaker's grandson)
    • 00024: Joseph Miller (Haymaker's grandson)
    • 00025: Rachel Miller (Haymaker's granddaughter)
    • 00026: Dwayne Miller (Haymaker's son)
    • 00027: Todd Miller (Haymaker's son)
    • 00028: Laurie Gross-Miller (Haymaker's daughter-in-law)
    • 00031: Jeffrey-Alan Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's brother)
    • 00032: Orville-Otis Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's brother)
    • 00033: Wilbur-Reuchlin Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's brother)
    • 00034: Kyle-Oliver Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's brother)
    • 00035: Timothy-Calvin Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's brother)
    • 00038: Connie Guthrie-Manther (Jetstream's mother)
    • 00039: Christine-Sue Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's sister)
    • 00040: Katherine-Joan Manther (Caliber and Jetstream's sister)
    • 00042: Hank
    • 00045: Frank Williams
    • 00046: Matthew Titus (Torrent's father)
    • 00047: Sharon Titus (Torrent's mother)
    • 00048: John Titus (Torrent)
    • 00049: Dawn Arbors (Monique Arbors' sister)
    • 00055: George Emmanuel Espada (Tierra's father)
    • 00056: George Emmanuel Espada, Junior (Tierra's brother)
    • 00057: Eduardo Espada (Tierra's brother)
    • 00058: Enrique Espada (Tierra's brother)
    • 00059: Santiago Espada (Tierra's brother)
    • 00073: Armande (Rheid)
    • 00075: Jack Rexroth (Greystone)
    • 00076: Levi Carmichael
    • 00089: Jimmy Schultz
    • 00096: Kayla Hudson
    • 00116: Doug Droll (Quail)
    • 00119: Parker Gibbs
    • 00137: Michael McDougall
    • 00141: Rory Casper
    • 00142: Annette McMenamin
    • 00143: Jacob Wright
    • 00145: David Glock (Pastel's father)
    • 00146: Nina Covington (The Aurelia's mother)
    • 00147: Christine Sway (Anomaly's mother)
    • 00148: Doctor Zachary Jenkins (Copycat's father)
    • 00149: Everett McGee
    • 00150: Carlin Witte
    • 00151: Mort Norris
    • 00152: Cheyenne Ford
    • 00153: Sonya Glock (Pastel's mother)
    • 00154: Lance McGee (Anomal's father)
    • 00155: Steve Potter
    • 00156: Christmas Clark
    • 00157: Steve Brown
    • 00158: Monique Arbors
    • 00159: Isaac Slade
    • 00160: Cloud Goodman
    • 00204: Robert Clark (Christmas' father)
    • 00217: Janine Clark (Christmas' mother)
    • 00219: Annle Caplan
    • 00254: Rick Tasker

Quote Originally Posted by Michuru81
    The list is far from complete--intentionally so. It allows for future characters to be established as a guest of Black Box's prison camp, while also serving to keep track of what has been established about the roster.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Michuru81 View Post
    It is entirely possible, but none was ever planned. I'm working to slowly post my notes on the Tabula Rasa world--a world my tabletop group played in well over two years ago. In the world, there are several branches of Vindicators based out of every major city, allowing better response times. It stands to reason that Imago could easily be a part of one of those teams and could retroactively inserted onto a roster. The game, however, is pretty much done though. Without giving away much of the plot, the Tabula Rasa story plays into the Armada story.
    Oh. I thought you'd just come back to working on it after a break. If you decide to retro-add Imago, that's fine. If not, also fine.

Black Box
    And here we see the story of one of the two groups on Imago's shit list, the other being Crux, of course.

By the way, formatting error on the front page Black Box link.
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Extreme Unction

OPA Belta

Oh. I thought you'd just come back to working on it after a break. If you decide to retro-add Imago, that's fine. If not, also fine.
    I'm back to working on the narrative, yes. It's an account of what (sort of) happened at the gaming table.

By the way, formatting error on the front page Black Box link.
    Thank you! I'll get on that in a moment.

OPA Belta

House Rules

HOUSE RULES
    • Source Material: I try to keep things as simple as possible and dislike having to guess what book what random feat or power comes from. As such, please try to stick to the core rulebook, the Mastermind's Manual (sans the Opportunity feats), and Ultimate Power when building your character.
    • IANAI (I Am Not An Idiot): Sometimes, the line between what the player knows and what the character knows isn't clear. If a player just isn't sure whether or not their character would connect the dots that they have, feel free to roll a Wisdom check (DC 15) to determine whether or not the character connects the dots.
    • Posting: I understand that real life has it's demands and don't expect anyone to put this game before their obligations to family, friends, school, work, ect. However, from time-to-time, the PBP game finds itself in combat or a situation where a response is necessary. Rather than hold up the game indefinitely, after twenty-four hours (not counting weekends or holidays), a post will be made for you. Hopefully, no offense is taken if this occurs; it's just my attempt to keep things moving for any other players participating in that scene.
    • Powers as Feats: I'm not a fan of powers as feats, as shown in the Mastermind's Manual. Similarly, I'm not keen on someone simply increasing an ability score to superhuman levels, when they describe it as part of their power. It's not often that I employ effects that nullify powers, but... powers should be powers. Maybe it's nitpicking, but that's where I am on it.

PROBLEMATIC POWERS
    There are certain abilities that create problems. Unless flawed in some manner, I likely won't be allowing certain abilities into my games.
    • Force Field: I’m okay with Force Field, but your ranks of Impervious probably shouldn’t go above the game’s PL.
    • Healing: I’m not a fan of healing, as it tends to hurt the campaign world. If someone capable of regenerating others’ lost limbs or curing diseases exist, then suddenly there’s no reason that a lost limb or sickness has any gravity.
    • Mind Reading: My brand of storytelling tends to employ secrets being kept from the main cast: their allies and enemies alike will frequently make plays that lead to big reveals, and it’s no fun (for both me, and the other plays) when these plots are revealed ahead of schedule. With some limitations, I’ll be more apt to let this into the game. If you’re Charles Francis Xavier and can delve into someone’s thoughts from anywhere on the globe, I’m not okay with it. If you can only read the thoughts of someone you’re actively touching, I’m probably going to be on board with things.
    • Protection: See Force Field.
    • Spatial Control: This one I’ll allow in moderation. If your character can taxi the entire group across the country without batting an eye, I’ll probably nix it. If your character’s fighting style is to banish his opponents to the surface of the moon with a look, I’ll probably shoot it down. If, however, you’re essentially Nightcrawler and your power is short-ranged teleports that augment your particular fighting style, and you tend not to take a small army with you? I probably won’t have any problem.
    • Regeneration: I’m perfectly fine with Regeneration in certain situations. If you’re just a normal guy whose power lets you bounce back from anything, cool. If you’re sporting flight, a sonic scream, and an immunity to fire effects, a healing factor might be overkill. Basically, if ranks of Regeneration are accompanying other powers, you might want to require a source or have some sort of nifty limitation so that you’re not just supplementing an already cool build with something to make you even more brutal.
    • Shapeshift: Unless it’s flawed in some way, I’m probably going to pass on any variable sort of power.
      • A good example of a flawed variable power Greystone, Tattooedman's character in my NVAE game. Jack is a Swiss-army knife of powers, but the descriptor on how he gets access to those powers limits him in other ways, such as preventing him from full-on becoming another creature. Jack can't utilize his powers to become a fly and go spy on a clandestine meeting, nor can he really use it to escape an opponent by hiding in a flock of birds taking flight.
    • Super-Senses: I’m a big fan of psychometry. I think the ability to touch and object and learn its history is one of the coolest powers ever. As a GM? I think it sucks. This one is similar to Mind Reading in that it can potentially ruin the story. I’m going to be okay with people grabbing Low-Light Vision or Analytical Smell, but Precognition, Postcognition, and their friends won’t really make it into the game without some sort of flaw like uncontrolled.
    • Teleport: See Spatial Control.
    • Transmit: See Spatial Control.

OPTIONAL RULES
    There are plenty of alternate rules given in supplemental material that I have elected to include in my games. For ease of access, I'm putting this here.
    • LANGUAGE CHECKS: "Normally, there are no Language skill checks. However, Gamemasters may allow a character who knows a number of languages a check to see if the character understands some of an unknown language when encountering it. The DC of the check is 15 for a language similar to one the character already knows (such as another Romance language for a character who already speaks one), 20 for languages different from those the character already knows, and 30 for completely different languages. Complex or technical subject matter increases the DC by 5 while very simple words and phrases may decrease it by 5. Make a skill check using Intelligence as the key ability and the number of languages the character speaks as the skill rank. A successful check means the character understands the gist of the communication or gets his meaning across, although it’s by no means exact. A failure by 5 or more means a miscommunication or misunderstanding." ~Mastermind's Manual, Page 35

Quote Originally Posted by Michuru81
    Off the top of my head, these are the only real house rules we're so far using. If one my players notices that I've missed something, let me know.
    Last edited by Michuru81; 01-11-2016 at 10:14 AM.

So this is late, but actually one other House Rule springs to mind. In addition to its other benefits, Eidetic Memory provides a +4 bonus on Knowledge checks.

OPA Belta

Re: House Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Michuru81 View Post
    IANAI (I Am Not An Idiot): Sometimes, the line between what the player knows and what the character knows isn't clear. If a player just isn't sure whether or not their character would connect the dots that they have, feel free to roll a Wisdom check (DC 15) to determine whether or not the character connects the dots.
    I missed this post somehow. I thought IANAI rolls were DC10?