Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Jacob Blackmon Art

Keeper of Secrets

Re: Jacob Blackmon Art

Any homages of Jake's you particularly fond of, Libra?

Keeper of Secrets

I never play Favourites - favouritism isn't a Game, it's a way of life!

Keeper of Secrets

In all honesty I like almost all of the homages I've seen but I'm particularly fond of Pendragon (FEMALE Arthurian Captain America), Spartan (You just know he stole that name from HALO), Celestial (Luke Skywalker as Superman!) and Recluse (who was totally into his Goth/Emo/"What are the Kids calling anti-social dreamers these days?" phase when he took the name and has never been able to hand it back in since girls finally discovered HIM) for a start. Really, the question isn't IF I'm going to start putting together a timeline for all these fine Homages, but more likely WHEN.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy Duck View Post
    GreyCrusader and Libra1010, I am glad you have taken an interest in the Masked Alliance.

For the most part, you are correct. They are a collection of costumed heroes that existed before the appearance of super-human beings in the Legendary Universe. They fill the niche of popular pulp-era heroes like Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Phantom, and the Rocketeer.

I have a few ideas in mind, and I am working on fleshing them out a bit more. They may show up as their own product or in a larger "Golden Age" supplement I produce in the future.

So far, I have the gun-toting "Wraith," who is not to be confused with the western-themed vigilante "Gunslinger." The high-flying "Captain Rocket," the inquisitive "Domino," and the super-smart "Caesar."

The Jungle King from the Sacred Lands supplement had some interaction with the Masked Alliance, but was often on his own in the jungles of Africa and the Sacred Lands.

Banner, the grandfather of CASTLE agent Danica June and killer of NAZI villain Weisse Schaedel, has been mentioned in a few supplements. He was also a member of the MA. His inclusion into the team caused an uproar, especially with some of the more racist members of the Alliance.

As I write more of the Legendary Universe timeline, some of these characters are getting a fuller background.
    If I might make a few suggestions in terms of code-names/characters for the Masked Alliance:

The Air Warden, the inventive and resourceful jet-pack pilot whose armored face-mask and bulky protective costume hides her distaff identity, given the era's prejudices against female adventurers; inspired by various such Pulp Era figures, including Timely's "Breeze Barton", but influenced by "Ma" Hunkel, the Golden Age Red Tornado.

Doc Argent, the Man of Mettle-as Marvel once held the rights to Doc Savage, flavored with a dash of Nathan Richards, the father of Mr. Fantastic and a brilliant scientist and explorer in his own right (taking the place of Caesar, who was a Roman tyrant, after all).

The Haunt (in place of the Wraith)-a homage to the very cool Night Raven character (Marvel UK), a skulking master of hand-to-hand combat,peerless tracker, and dead-on sniper a Native American hero.

Lady Tiger-a Miss Fury pastiche, again as Timely re-published her strips in comic book form; perhaps play up the mystical attributes of her tiger-pelt costume, to differentiate her from the better known Selina Kyle.

Mr. Galahad, AKA The Templar-the scholarly, debonair masked detective whose fists are as keen as his mind, making him a match for both common gangsters and occult menaces such as vampires and witches (based on the original Angel, taking the place of the Domino codename).

The Midnight Gun-combining elements of Two-Gun Kid and the Western version of Ghost Rider, but facing down outlaws in a more modern setting.

Hope you might like/use one or more of these, Mr. Blackmon! All my best.
    Last edited by greycrusader; 05-16-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

If I might be permitted to weigh in with my own thoughts on these two sets of names:-

The Air Warden Vs Captain Rocket
    In my opinion "Captain Rocket" has a punchier feel than "Air Warden" but the latter name is good enough in its own right for the character's full title to be The Air Warden: CAPTAIN ROCKET! - that being said I think that your concept for the character is pitch-perfect Grey Crusader (I'll bet that this high-flying lady keeps a dashing young test pilot around as a sounding board, convenient distraction and Heavy Petting).

Doc Argent, the Man of Mettle Vs Caesar
    Excellent point about Caesar - who was not only a literal Tyrant (governed by Force of Personality and sheer Charm after overthrowing Lawful Government) but lent his name to multiple generations of Autocrats - although the name might work very well for a Hero turned Villain, an Ozymandias to the Man of Mettle's Doc Savage.

That being said I'd say that "Doc Silver" might work better than "Doc Argent" (although I love the "Man of Mettle" sobriquet!), possibly because I think "Captain Argent" works better.

The Haunt Vs The Wraith
    Why not "The Spook" instead? (That might be a little TOO period, but one could infer that the reason US Government operators of a certain type are called "Spooks" largely derives from this presumably-notorious individual, who may well have been a mentor to Geist during the latter's first years of operation): that being said one thinks "The Wraith" works better for a character while "The Haunt" works better for a place.

Perhaps The Wraith (and more particularly that Network of agents he keeps under wraps - we might name them The Unquiet) calls his Base of Operations The Haunt?

Mr. Galahad aka The Templar Vs Domino
    Perhaps he's also known as "Galahad the Templar" to boot!

On a more serious note I'm a little torn; I like the dapper gent you describe Grey Crusader, but on the other hand "Domino" has a nice timeless ring to it and gives me a strong mental image of a character who has the luck of Indiana Jones - he walks into a Villainous scheme and it starts toppling over like a row of Dominos! - coupled with the visual of a little domino mask worn over a bigger mask that makes his face look featureless, topped off with a fedora (and a habit of leaving a domino on top of every Villain he foils).

I could quite happily go either way!

The Midnight Gun Vs The Gunslinger
    I like "The Midnight Gun" best, but why not call the character "The Twilight Gun" to hint that this is a veteran of the Old West's dying days come out of retirement to pit himself against a New Generation of malefactors?

Lady Tiger-a Miss Fury pastiche, again as Timely re-published her strips in comic book form; perhaps play up the mystical attributes of her tiger-pelt costume, to differentiate her from the better known Selina Kyle.
    Why not just "Tiger Lady" for that extra touch of Pulp simplicity? In any case I like this concept a good deal and must compliment you on producing a fine shortlist at sort notice; I'll have to see if I can think up a Villain for each of these Heroes (or at least the Name for such a villain!).

I shall use your names, Grey Crusader, as a token of respect for your work.

Tiger Lady Vs The Hellhound - Some villains find the dregs of Society easy prey, but The Hellhound sees making them suffer as a sacred cause; he hasn't yet tried his strength against that Tiger Lady, that Dauntless Defender of the Downtrodden, but that hour draws nigh.

Only Time will tell whether either of these combatant can emerge with their Secret Identity intact as they fight one another tooth & nail!

The Air Warden Vs The Wrecker - When the finest aircraft start falling out of the sky, when ships start sinking in dry dock, when trains go flying The Air Warden knows that a wicked will is guiding this spate of sabotage but can even the Future of Flight withstand the sinister skills of ... THE WRECKER?

The Midnight Gun Vs Boss Future - Our ageing stalwart has hunted the most despicable desperadoes of Past and Present, but now he comes Face to Face with the Future of Crime! The Last of the Frontier Lawmen is about to do Battle with the First of a New Breed of Public Enemy and only History will tell us who will emerge triumphant ...

Doc Argent Vs Mister Sharp - He had nothing to start with, but he built on that anyway; built muscles that could break legs, built brains that could beat the System, built an organisation that could turn a profit and cut out his rivals at the same time, but his Lieutenants still couldn't cut down Doc Argent (born with chip on his shoulder and a silver spoon in his mouth) before that meddler put them in prison or on the Road to Reform.

Mister Sharp won't be following in their footsteps any time soon. His battle with Doc Argent will be sanguine, legendary ... and all too brief.

Mr Galahad Vs Baphomet the Inscrutable - When France's Greatest Fiend crossed the Wide Atlantic to pursue his immortal Design through Infernal Cruelties and shadowy manipulations at the expense of Uncle Sam he never reckoned on the man they call Galahad ... but never before had The Templar been tested to his very Limit!

Now these two Titans are about to clash once more in the Greatest Battle of their Time - Good Vs Evil, winner take all!

The Haunt Vs "Deadly" Deeds - The two most Lethal adventurers of their time are about to hunt each other through the howling wilderness of the Urban Jungle, one in the Name of Justice, the other for the sake of his Pride and where they strike next only the shadows know!

Yet more is at stake than a personal Triumph; something is stirring beyond the shores of these United States and perhaps neither of these Extraordinary Gentleman can possibly imagine the consequences should one of them destroy the other ...

Keeper of Secrets

A little more information on the possible adversaries for the Masked Alliance alluded to above, for your amusement:-

The Hellhound is, so far as we can tell, an excellent preacher and a faithless shepherd who despises his fellow man; whether this is because he perceives himself as an Agent of Godly Righteousness and acts accordingly or because he killed such an Agent, then stole his identity to exploit for his own purposes depends on which account of his personal History one chooses to believe.

He may well be employing rhetoric worthy of an Old Testament zealot simply so that he can exterminate some inconvenient witnesses without getting his own hands bloody or he might genuinely be seeking to purge the Ungodly so that he can establish a Local Order more to his liking (and in any case one may look to Mr Robert Mitchum's character from THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER for the original model on which I based this character).

In any case he can throw a howling mob on citizens convinced The Dustbowl is an Act of God against Tiger Lady - one sees her motivation for Heroism as more a matter of personal principle than universal philanthropy (she wants the streets to be safe, along with her stake in the City's future), but she's not the type to casually cripple someone without a burning personal grudge driving her to do so - and The Hellhound is no pushover when it comes to physical violence either; more to the point he has an unerring instinct for the Guilty Secret (or at least the Secret that can get one brought up on charges) which may prove most inconvenient for a Lady seeking to maintain a respectable Alter Ego.

The Wrecker is a saboteur driven to vandalism by ideology but increasingly wavering away from the True Faith (probably Communism, hence the self-loathing sobriquet) and pulled towards purely mercenary work by the lure of lucre so filthy it owns the lustre of a black pearl through sheer concentration of grease; should he hold fast to his principles or sink from the Political into the realm of the merely Criminal he will continue to wage a campaign terror & sabotage against those in the United States seeking to hone the cutting edge of technology with potential military applications.

As one might imagine a Rocket Pack able to propel the user into a career as high-flying Hero of the United States is near the top of his list.

Boss Future has seen the "Public Enemies" come and go, but is more than capable of avoiding their mistakes; indeed this particular Bandit Chief intends to make his pile as a "Consulting Criminal" who will help others avoid those mistakes, then build an Organisation of his own powerful and prosperous enough to twist the Law to his own advantage with the profits. He also intends to make liberal use of the latest Technology (acquired by means foul and fair), the secrets of which he has expressed an unusual depth of insight into, to help keep him more than one step ahead of the Police.

If the Midnight Gun cannot stop him soon then that old Lawman might find himself on the wrong end of an insuperable Tech advantage.

Mister Sharp has seen his Organisation fail him in the face of Doc Argent's formidable intelligence, towering physique and almost equally-remarkable friends (even when not serving with the Masked Alliance, Doc rides with quite the posse) but remains indomitably confident in his own individual gifts - perhaps not honed so expertly as those of The Man of Mettle, but tempered in an unrelenting struggle with many of the same opponents ... and with an utter poverty that Doc has never known. Freed from the constraints of a "Legitimate Businessman" Mister Sharp may be more dangerous than ever (and has certainly taken advantage of the greater freedom to manoeuvre accorded by one who doesn't need to worry about accounts).

In seeking to bring down this Crime Lord, Doc Argent might well have shaped the first Super-Villain.

Baphomet the Inscrutable or Baphomet L'Insondable as the French Press dubbed him is a criminal noted for the cruel brilliance with which he has inflicted all the cruelties one may expect from a Crime Lord, but also for the shadowy influence he wields throughout a sphere of influence that surmounts the borders of the merely criminal Underworld; it may be that he possesses the power to alter the destiny of Humanity, for he seems more a Conspiracy incarnate than a mortal man (rumours he might be The Devil incarnate have been considered with unwonted seriousness, but though he IS a fiend he appears to be one born & bred of Humanity).

In truth? In truth Baphomet is a man brilliant enough to have spun a conspiracy out of whole cloth and cruel enough to have no greater purpose for it than to make his own depredations upon the Truly Innocent and the merely Law-Abiding alike; yet History is in a state of flux and his power of Persuasion has yet to find its limit - who knows what his organisation may be capable of when he feels like using it for more than his immediate convenience?

Devlin "Deadly" Deeds may well be the living incarnation of Perfidious Albion; he is certainly an Imperial Troubleshooter who made the Empire safe for Queen & Country yet deucedly unsafe for many of the locals (had he been living in 1776 then we'd speak of the United American Colonies in place of the USA or so he likes to boast). He sees it as his Mission in Life to extirpate all threats to the Empire, possible and actual.

With Germany beaten, Japan too small & too poor, France breaking down and Russia ... well, he'll deal with Russia later ... the last great Threat to the British Empire that he perceives is the United States of America; without American aid the Union Flag might fly over all Ireland (and that is a loss for which he intends to exact repayment at some future point), without their interference the Royal Navy might well have floated still mightier incarnations of the Empire's Might, with full-blown War Plans aimed against the British Empire being drawn up in Washington even as he contemplates the peril posed to the British Empire by the Great Republic his fears gain ascendancy over his very faint Hopes for an accommodation.

With that in mind he has decided to establish a Network of his own across the United States; with the interests of the United States in mind The Wraith opposes him - pushed by the manipulations of a mysterious Third Party these two shadow warriors are about to clash in a confrontation that may yet shape the course of the 20th Century.

Keeper of Secrets

Peace ... at What Cost?

While the Isik Dynasty of the Inphinites hold themselves up as gods within their realm, they rule over their servitor races not as tyrants, but as benevolent deities. This stems from the powers of the Resplendent One who removes the free will of her followers to impose goodness and kindness.

The Resplendent One seeks to remove all traces of evil from the galaxy. Her fanatical cultists convert others to her will or destroy any who refuse her blessings.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/212693...esplendent-One

Last edited by Prodigy Duck; 07-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Over 100 PDF products... over 160 characters! :shock:

The Super Powered Legends Source Book will combine all of these products into ONE volume for your enjoyment. Coming soon to Kickstarter!

Last edited by Prodigy Duck; 07-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Breaking the Curse!

After grave robbers pilfered the tomb of Seti I, the living guardian, Atmet, was cursed to remain on Earth as the tomb's undead guardian, for the rest of eternity. His son, Serq, seeking to free his father from this curse, took the wrappings used to mummify Atmet, and sought out the robbers. Bringing back the treasures would set his transgressions right again ... one day.

And so, those wrappings have passed down the family line to the modern-day wearer: Mosegi Bagru. Mosegi has joined forces with the Night Watch. With their world-wide resources, Mosegi is coming closer than any of his ancestors ever have to gathering all of the cursed artifacts of Seti I.

Super Powered Legends. Because sometimes what you need is a character everyone will recognize, even if they’ve never met her before.

Written and illustrated by Jacob Blackmon. Super Powered by M&M

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...gends-Accursed

Last edited by Prodigy Duck; 07-12-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

The cover art for the upcoming Super Powered Legends Sourcebook is finished.

The Kickstarter will be later this year (September is the current plan).