Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1001 Interesting Locations

Re: 1001 Interesting Locations

43. The Backyard, From an Ant's Perspective - The villain's shrink ray malfunctioned and exploded in the middle of a fight, shrinking heroes and villains alike down to insect size. Now the hunt is own to find the pieces of the shrink ray and reassemble it before the bad guys do. The heroes must contend with various native fauna -- insects, rodents, birds -- and environmental hazards which would not normally be an issue but are quite deadly at their new perspective.

UN Basic Recipient

May I recommend ans the setting of any sort of Lovecraft or Supernatural Mystery game the city of Oxford, Mississippi:

-It has a large cemetery going back to the early 19th Century.
    -It has a University that was active during the Civil War, and in fact one whole graduation class died on the same day at the Battle of Gettysburg during Picket's Charge.
    -The University has an Occult Section on the third floor of of the campus library.
    -There are no shortage of odd happenings, haunted houses, and deep wood homes lost in the forest or swallowed by kudzu.

And everything I just said is factually and veritably accurate. Yoink a few factoids from the Wikipedia page and expand them however your story requires.

I recommend looking at the original Oxford in Britain as well, the City of Dreaming Spires.

To the west, you'll find the universities that the city is famous for, and to the east, it's a major centre for car manufacturing. It's also well known for its publishing and technological industries.

Any supers from the city are likely to have technological or scientific backgrounds.

It's also where Lewis Carroll wrote Alice in Wonderland, and the Story Museum is scheduled to completely open next year.

UN Basic Recipient Space Capybara's Avatar

44. The international space station-Zero gravity, experimental equipment, and one missed shot can take down the whole ship!
    "In fearful day, in raging night,

With strong hearts full, our souls ignite.

When all seems lost in the War of Light,

Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!"

45. Niagara Falls-I'm not terribly impressed with it because I live close by and have been many times, but apparently its a big deal. There's a sharply sloping hill perfect for heroic fall-backs and last stands, rushing water perfect for aquatic heroes to battle in, and of course a precipitous fall for people to be dangled and then saved from.

Really, any waterfall would work-though Reichenbach is supposedly less impressive these days.

Also ties into #30.
    Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

46. The Wadden Sea - An intertidal zone in the southeastern part of the North Sea. It lies between the coast of northwestern continental Europe and the range of Frisian Islands, forming a shallow body of water with tidal flats and wetlands. The islands in the Wadden Sea are called the Wadden Sea Islands or Frisian Islands, named after the Frisians.
    The word 'wad' is Dutch for 'mud flat'. The area is typified by extensive tidal mud flats, deeper tidal trenches (tidal creeks) and the islands that are contained within this, a region continually contested by land and sea as the tides come and go.

The islands are marked by dunes and wide, sandy beaches towards the North Sea and a low, tidal coast towards the Wadden Sea. The impact of waves and currents, carrying away sediments, is slowly changing the layout of the islands.

It's a cold, windy and wet place with a grey sky and mud flats can be very treacherous; it's easy to sink into them and get stuck. If you're the sort of person that believes in ghosts, you'll be pretty sure they're there.
    My builds

-----

Tom Joad: Well, maybe it's like Casy says. A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody, then ... I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad.

- 'The Grapes of Wrath', John Steinbeck

OPA Belta

A normal city street.... thats had the gravitational pull flipped.

The heroes would need to deal with falling cars, and buses and find a way up to the villian who is at the far end of the road.

To them it looks like he is standing on the horizontal plane of a masssssssssssssssive wall

Cracked just did a list of seven secret places found in famous locations. You can find the list here.

And it's given me a couple of ideas for my stories...
    Last edited by betterwatchit; 08-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.

OPA Belta

47. Bir Tawil the only remaining piece of land in the world not claimed by any government.

48: Trafalgar Square, London, UK. All sorts of events can happen in this legendary square. Cultural festivals, filming sessions... All you need to do is keep an eye on the square and something interesting is going to happen sooner or later. One very popular event happens every year in December, when the Norwegian people donate a Christmas tree to thank the British for helping them during World War 2.