Page 554 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 544545045445525535545555565646046541054 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

A poster in a forum for another RPG once survived a moose attack. I don't remember if they were unarmed or had some sort of knife with them, but no firearms from what I recall. They got very broken and for quite a while they were under the effects of so much painkiller that their typing was barely intelligible. And a recent Cracked.com article was about people who survived bear attacks. Let me just say that I count myself lucky for living far away from anything like those animals.

I was already pretty shaken initially when I thought I was gonna be attacked by a Dalmatian/Brazilian Mastiff cross*, let alone facing something much larger.

* I was passing by when someone opened their garage and the big dog came out running straight at me and I had both hands occupied. He got on his hind legs and put the front paws on my chest. I immediately noticed it wasn't angry, luckily. It turns out if was a quite the friendly dog (especially considering how Brazilian Mastiffs are usually pretty aggressive) and was just really excited, running and jumping around. I guess he had not being out for a while, and it took a good bit of time for the owner to get him back in the house ^_^
    Last edited by danelsan; 04-23-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Keeper of Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    You forgot one instance of Environment (Light).

There's a fun book out there called The Book of Deadly Animals that is more or less a collection of fatal animal attacks.
    I didn't use Rudolph in my Superboy Christmas story: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewt...stmas#p1082594

Hierophant

Horses & Ponies

HORSE (Equus caballas)
    Role:
    Standard Mount For Heroes, Plow Animal
    PL 6 (54)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 11
    Normal Version:
    PL 3-4
    STRENGTH 5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
    Athletics 6 (+11)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
    Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
    Insight 3 (+4)
    Intimidation 6 (+4, +5 Size)
    Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Power Attack
    Powers:
    "Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
    "Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
    Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Horses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 8 (54)

Era: Modern
    Range: Plains of Europe, Asia & The Americas
    Stereotypes: Noble and loyal. Human-esque.
    Colouring: Gray, white, brown, black, red, tan
    Size: Up to 8 feet long (800-1500 lbs.)
    Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures, or mounted by sentients.
    Diet: Grass & vegetation
    Tactics: Flee using speed or attack all-out with powerful hooves.

-It's obviously no surprise horses are all over fiction- pretty much any War-based movie set before 1900 will feature tons of them, they're an iconic figure of multiple images (the "General Riding the Horse" picture), and oh yeah, GIRLS LOVE THEM. It's pretty much the ultimate "Get girls to fawn over an animal" symbol ever- probably why people Girl-ified the Unicorn over the years. Horses are believed to represent a strong masculine symbol to females (particularly younger ones), and the dependency on their owners can make that a powerful metaphor for many things (essentially a strong, masculine figure that NEEDS them).

-Like Dogs, Horses have numerous breeds, though they don't differ nearly as much as dog breeds do. I'm no horseman, but I know there's several different roles they play- heavy Draft Horses used to pull plows, and still pull sleighs and the like. Ponies are simply a name for horses that don't grow over a certain height (taxonomically, they're the same animal as Horses), and can be used for many of the same purposes big horses can. Sport Horses are used for racing and other athletic competitions, and are usually Arabs or Thoroughbreds. There's about a thousand categories and sub-categories for them, as you might imagine for such an expensive, useful animal. The "active" careers of the animals aren't often that long, especially for racehorses (it's a HARD game, and would probably kill the animal if left on for too long). Stock Horses are typically used around cattle (they have a good "cow sense").

-Curiously, smaller horses are often a bit tougher than the big breeds, pound-for-pound. The large sizes tend to be "stretched out" a bit, as their bone density doesn't increase as rapidly as their size does (taller humans can suffer physical maladies from their height as well). But there are few sights less impressive than a MONSTROUS steed- a breeder from Colorado often comes to Alberta animals shows, and one of their Clydesdales is taller than SIX FEET at the withers (shoulder, basically), and easily measures about eight feel tall.

-These stats represent a full-blown Elite Horse ridden as a mount by a hero. It's strong- not the weak-ass D&D/M&M "Strength 13" animal- this one can carry multiple people on its back, do a hell of a lot of damage, and is pretty lethal. At PL 5.5, it's enough for a common armed man, and leans heavily towards damage & toughness compared to accuracy and defensive capabilities. It's large, has Radius Sight (horses and other animals like it can see 350-degrees around them, making them all but impossible to sneak up on without cover, are fast as hell, and are generally not a bad animal to have around. Their sheer size gives their riders a bit of a boost too, especially if you give people a bonus for having the "high ground". Mounted cavalry were a huge part of ancient warfare- the general and his Shock Troops were a powerful force on the battlefield, often being used to pierce the deeply-set infantry. Horses also have Attractive to women, though that's more because it's kinda funny, since Horses can't bluff or really "persuade" that well.

-A stronger horse like a Clydesdale might do more damage (and be heavier- the heaviest horse ever weighed in at *3,300 lbs.*!!), but would almost certainly be less-accurate. Horses that size were probably not that useful in battle, anyhow- I think a more warm-blooded breed would be ideal, though large horses would be used for heavily-armored soldiers (for obvious reasons). The very-successful Mongols & Arabs would use lighter, more mobile breeds, allowing for fast cavalry maneuvering. Many heroes in fiction have Horses with borderline-human Intelligence & Awareness, and the Will Saves to match.

-Wild Horses are typically at this level, and are notoriously fighty- as large herbivores, feral horses can be territorial, particularly the males. Males will also get into vicious battles over females, biting, kicking and smashing the living crap out of each other. Even so, they will often flee from predators- very few animals could possibly outrun a Horse over open ground, especially given the stamina of these animals.

PONY (Equus caballas)
    Role:
    Standard Mount For Little Girls, Plow Animal
    PL 4 (45)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 9
    Normal Version:
    PL 2-3
    STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
    Athletics 5 (+9)
    Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
    Insight 3 (+4)
    Intimidation 4 (+2, +3 Size)
    Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves)
    Powers:
    "Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
    Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
    Unarmed +4 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Horses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 6 (4
    Stereotypes: Kindly, girl-loving.
    Colouring: Gray, white, brown, black, red, tan
    Size: Up to 8 feet long (800-1500 lbs.)

-Like I said, Ponies are basically just a name for small Horses, though some other things come into play: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....y-and-a-horse/. They're ultra-cute and look funny sometimes, but they're tougher than they look, and can also be extremely-useful for physical activities.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-13-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Keeper of Secrets

Ponies also tend to be both smarter and meaner than horses.

Keeper of Secrets

I was talking to my roommate about mounted warfare not to long ago (we were watching something on the History Channel and he asked why it took so long to get from chariots to heavy cavalry) and I had the opportunity to reveal one of the simplest inventions added to a saddle that changed warfare in the ancient world radically...the stirrup. Saddles had been around for hundred of years, but Europeans took quite awhile to steal the idea of stirrups from the steppe peoples of Asia. Once the stirrup was added to the military saddle (distinguished by its taller cantle to help the rider avoid being unhorsed), the weight of the horse was able to be brought to bear in combat, changing the lance from a weapon used for stabbing overhand into a long spike powered by a horse that could cause massive destruction.

This in turn provoked European breeders to strive for larger and more powerful horses to optimize the use of the lance. No stirrup, no lance charges. No lance charges, no Andalusians, or Friesians or other large breeds.

Hierophant

Wild Horses

DONKEY/WILD ASS (Equus africanus asinus)
    Role:
    Plow Animal, Stubborn Animal
    PL 4 (37), PL 5 (37) Saves- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8
    Normal Version:
    PL 2
    STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+8)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+4)
    Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
    Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
    "Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
    "Stubborn Ass" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [2]
    "Expert Pack Animal" Athletics 4 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing & Stability) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
    Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Donkeys cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 9 (37)

Stereotypes: Stubborn, stupid. Often messy and/or vulgar.
    Colouring: Gray, brown, black, red, tan
    Size: Up to 7.5 feet long (500-800 lbs.)

-Donkeys are the funny-looking, goofy, stubborn relatives or Horses, and were actually domesticated first, and are still a plow-driving animal to this day. While not as strong as horses, they are more stable and sturdy, and are thus still quite useful. They can actually be pretty good in a scrap (though are certainly no match for large predators- I watched a documentary on nuisance Lions where they literally walked into a horse pen and wiped out the entire herd in hours), so they're PL 4 creatures. Lower than the Zebra or Horse, but respectable fighters that can break some bones if necessary, and are NOTORIOUSLY stubborn.

-Donkeys' stability is so requested that they're often bred with Horses to make Mules- combining some of the Donkey's toughness with a Horse's size and power. Mules are famous for being one of the few "Hybrid" species out there, and are generally always sterile. However, it HAS been known for one or two to get pregnant, which shocks their owners by a quite a ways.

GREVY'S ZEBRA (Equus grevyi)
    Role:
    Herd Animal
    PL 6 (52)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 11
    Normal Version:
    PL 3-4
    STRENGTH 5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
    Athletics 3 (+8)
    Expertise (Survival) 3 (+4)
    Insight 2 (+3)
    Intimidation 6 (+4, +5 Size)
    Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Power Attack

Powers:
    "Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]
    "Stripes" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Flaws: Limited to Colour-Blind Individuals, Limited to When Holding Still or in Large Groups) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
    Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +5, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Zebras cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
    Enemy (Lions, Crocodiles)- Africa's largest predators find the heavy, thick-bodied Zebras to be great finds.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 10 (52)

Stereotypes: None.
    Colouring: White & black striped
    Size: Up to 8 feet long (390-990 lbs.)
    Encounter Groups: Wild herds of 3-25 creatures.

-Zebras are generally smaller than horses, but are of course wild animals. Their iconic stripes is thought to be camouflage (many predators are colour-blind, so seeing these things in tall grass might be tough), and there are various subspecies spread throughout Africa. This particular build is of the largest subspecies, the Grevy's Zebra, but there are many others, and all generally use the same stats. Generally, its stats reflect a smaller animal that is more wild, and thus is a better fighter. After all, what's gonna fight better? A big mount, or something that regularly gets attacked by frickin' lions? So it's PL is the same, but it might still lose a drawn-out fight to a Horse since the game is somewhat-biased towards high-damage & toughness individuals.

-Zebras are popular animals to look at, but ill-suited to many things that Horses are good for. Zebras are too wild and slow-moving to turn into successful racing steeds or draft animals.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Hierophant

The Dawn Horse

EOHIPPUS (Equus caballas)
    Role:
    Standard Mount For Little Girls, Plow Animal
    PL 2 (22)- Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
    Normal Version:
    PL 0-1
    STRENGTH -1 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 2
    FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
    Athletics 6 (+5)
    Expertise (Survival) 3 (+4)
    Insight 2 (+3)
    Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
    Evasion

Powers:
    "Animal Physiology" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (3 feet) [9]
    (-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
    Unarmed +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness -1, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
    Disabled (Animal)- Eohippus cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 4 (22)

Era: Eocene Period
    Range: North America
    Colouring: Probably Horse-like
    Size: 12-14 inches high (Unknown weight)
    Encounter Groups: Largely-unknown
    Tactics: Flee using speed or attack all-out with hooves.

-Eohippus is the "dawn horse"- the earliest-known Equine ancestor of the famous Horse Family- a tiny animal about the size of your average dog, more designed for running around forests than dominating the great plains. He's a curious little bit of evolution, and one of those animals you can see modify itself over the years- the Natural History Museum in New York has a cool little display of the horses slowly growing in size over the millennia, ending with our current steeds. They're also used by some Creationists in order to discredit Evolution, because apparently a descendant loses three pairs of ribs, then another GAINS a few, then the Horse drops one. WHY this discredits Evolution is beyond me, but a friend's Anthro Prof had a great response: "Eohippus doesn't GIVE A F*CK how many ribs it has!"

-Eohippus is a dog-sized animal, and not much good in a fight.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Defender of the Word

Re: Wild Horses

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Their iconic stripes is thought to be camouflage (many predators are colour-blind, so seeing these things in tall grass might be tough).
    The way I remember it, most mammals, as a family that was nocturnal for millions of years, only have two types of color receptors (not black and white). Later on, primates evolved to eat fruit in daylight, so they developed three types to help find food, which is why humans have better color vision than most of the animals we keep around us. Birds, who were ruling the place while we were scurrying around in the dark, kept their four types of receptors.

On the subject of horses, there's a good episode of Inside Nature's Giants where they look at a race horse that goes into a lot of detail on their power and speed. Their breathing mechanism is pretty impressive.

Keeper of Secrets

I love horses lots, but as much as it pains me to say it...burros are smarter. That's another reason for Mules and Hinnies...an attempt to combine the size and power of a horse with the intelligence of a donkey. Giant Jacks are about as close as a purebred Donkey gets to an ideal mount and like every pure donkey, they are flat-backed and uncomfortable to ride.

Oh, and just so everyone is jargon fluent-

Mule: When a Jack (male Donkey) is bred to a Mare (female Horse).

Hinny: When a Stallion (male Horse) is bred to a Jenny (female Donkey).

The males and females are called John and Molly.

It is estimated that only 1 in every 200 mules/hinnys are fertile, which is why breeding is so rare. The odds of getting 2 fertile individuals of opposite sexes in the same place at the same time are kind of astronomical.

Hierophant

Also interesting to me is that apparently shots involving horse-riding are among the most difficult to film in historical dramas. No matter how careful they are, there ALWAYS seems to be something wrong. Julian Fellowes, writer/creator of Downton Abbey, points out how in dramas set in the Victorian to the Gilded Age, there's always shots of women riding on horseback without proper leg protection- he says this is LUDICROUS, and their legs would be rubbed raw in minutes. But there's ALWAYS some shot of a woman's bare legs on the horse, as her skirt or dress flies up.

The rules & regulations for horsemanship have changed so much over the years, that getting it accurate is extremely tough. Also, it's apparently quite easy to run a horse to death in real life, whereas on TV, you can pretty much ride them as long as you like.