Page 545 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 454454955355435445455465475555956451045 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,450 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Depends on the individual animals more than the breed. I've seen a 3.5 lb. stray cat absolutely demolish a 35 lb. mastiff-mix that was dumb enough to back the cat and her kittens into a corner.

Mind you, breed isn't inconsequential. Humans have been genetically engineering our canine companions for specific tasks longer than we've had spoken language. "Horses for courses," as the cliche goes. Several breeds were designed specifically for hunting wolfs: the Irish Wolfhound, Russian Borzoi, etcetera. Usually in numbers, but that was more about tracking and flushing the wolf than killing it. Usually the human hunter delivered the killing blow. Sepherds have a long history of enimity with the wolf and thus many herding breeds from Germany, Russia, or England can also tangle with wolves fairly well... Although, again, it's usually up to the human to deliver the coup de grace.

Man and dog are probably as close to symbiotic as any primate gets to any animal.
    Of course, Rin Tin Tin was the source of many a broken dream and injured puppy. To any of you still under the misconception that your tough-as-nails 80-100lb German Shepherd can take on a 25lb Bobcat and not be severely maimed or killed...it can't. Bobcats can outfight pretty much any dog. Himalayan or Neopolitan Mastiffs with all their thick fur might last longer than most, but yeah...predatory wild cats are apex land predators. Only bears really go up against predatory cats unless numbers are playing into it.

That is where Lupines and Canines (Wolves, Dogs, Hyenas, etc.) gain their superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    It's funny - finding actual information on animals online can be a pain, because you'll always find forums filled with "experts" who always speak in absolutes and always know best.

Case in point: I was curious as to which dog species stood the best chance against a wolf... and found nothing but forums full of douchebag Fighting Dog Enthusiasts who all INSISTED that certain species had supernatural powers and would ALWAYS kill wolves, who are more trained to run away from fights. Oh, and everyone said that "Game Pits" are overrated and that "Insert Obscure Foreign Dog Breed Here" was the best. That's right - dog fans act the same online as music fans, Manga fans, and... well, all Internet fans.
    Don't be silly Jab, you know that Minitel fandom is better than Internet fans. Everyone knows that Minitel is better than the internet..... Graphic interfaces are so overrated.

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

MCRN Admiral

Here's the forum in question that had the most "This obscure breed of dog is THE BEST EVER!" stuff: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thre...-Wolf/?&page=1

Though I shouldn't have been surprised. I mean, DOUCHEBAGS? On an *MMA* forum?!? How did I NOT see that coming?

At least a couple of them were a little more sane, pointing out the idiocy in statements like "wild animals don't fight to the death, so wolves will lose to fighting dogs".

I'll be doing the Animal Builds shortly, but I need a bit more of a "head start", so I'll re-post a few DC Builds from the old thread. I'm anal-retentive enough that it still bothers me that not every build is on the same forum .
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-20-2015 at 12:38 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Ultra the Multi-Alien

ULTRA THE MULTI-ALIEN (Ace Am)
    Created By:
    Dave Wood & Lee Elias
    First Appearance: Mystery In Space #103 (Nov. 1965)
    Role: Bizarre Forgotten Hero
    PL 8 (134)
    STRENGTH
    2/8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Deception 2 (+4)
    Expertise (Spaceman) 8 (+10)
    Insight 2 (+4)
    Intimidation 4 (+6)
    Perception 4 (+6)
    Technology 4 (+6)
    Vehicles 7 (+10)

Advantages:
    Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 7 (Spaceship), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasts), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
    "Upper Right- Green Fur, Super-Strength"
    Strength-Damage +6 [6]
    Power-Lifting 6 (6 tons) (Flaws: Limited to Right Side) [3]

"Lower Right- White Feathers, Wings"
    Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

"Lower Left- Bolt of Lightning"
    Blast 9 (18) -- [20]

"Upper Left- Blue Skin, Magnetic Powers"
    • AE: "Object Attack" Blast 9 (Quirks: Requires Metals) (17)
      AE: Move Object 10 (Flaws: Limited to Metals) (10)

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
    Blasts +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
    Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- For much of the time, Ultra was unable to turn back to human form, making him pretty clearly an alien thing.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 9 (134)

-This guy's origin is so "Drug-Addled Silver Age" that it's not even funny- Future-Earth Spaceman Ace Am was attacked by four aliens, each of whom was wielding a gun that could *gasp* TRANSFORM THE VICTIM INTO A COPY OF THE SHOOTER! Now, what in the BLUE HELL kind of purpose THAT would serve is beyond me (maybe they were planning on assaulting Daxam with a legion of Fluffy Puppies armed with the things?), but all four aliens ended up shooting Ace simultaneously. As a result, he is now 1/4 each Alien, gaining all of their powers. This guy booted Adam Strange & The Space Ranger out of "Mystery In Space" (poor Adam didn't make it out of the Silver Age as a viable character), but the book only lasted for seven more issues before dying. Hilariously, I would create a character much like this for my own Super-Hero Universe as a kid- combining several animals to create Criss-Cross (seen here in my 2e thread), though he was more awesome.

-Ultra is a PL 8, being a minor non-recurring character (though a few modern writers have taken to using his as a funny "ain't comics WEIRD?" background character sometimes- Starman & Donna Troy have encountered him.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-20-2015 at 02:21 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Tommy Tomorrow

What kind of horrible, dystopian future is it where THOSE SHORTS are fashionable again?

TOMMY TOMORROW
    Created By:
    Jack Schiff, George Kashdan, Bernie Breslauer, Virgil Finlay & Howard Sherman
    First Appearance: Real Fact Comics #6 (Jan. 1947)
    Role: Science-Fiction Cop
    Group Affiliation: The Planeteers
    PL 8 (107)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
    Athletics 5 (+7)
    Deception 2 (+6)
    Expertise (Planeteer- Space Cop) 8 (+11)
    Insight 3 (+6)
    Investigation 4 (+7)
    Perception 4 (+7)
    Stealth 2 (+6)
    Technology 2 (+5)
    Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
    Equipment 3 (Ray Gun), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Ray Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Tracking

Equipment:
    "Ray Gun" Blast 6 (12)

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Ray Gun +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
    Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (107)

-Tommy Tomorrow is one of those "Sci-Fi Space Explorer" characters from an earlier era, though he's a good bit earlier than I expected- 1947 is Golden Age, not the '50s stuff I was expecting from the Adam Strange-class of character. Tommy was a Planeteer before that meant you were an environmental genius (unless you were American, at which point you were dumb and needed to be taught everything), eventually just shifting into a Space Cop persona. The times were not kind to him, and he vanished around 1962, being a forgotten eyeblink. Later comics tried to link him to other things- he was revealed to be the alternate-future version of Kamandi since the Great Disaster that created the Jack Kirby character never happened after all (some fan wrote into "Who's Who" whining about this later, but they were like "Hey some good stuff had to die to make this unified world" and all- sound familiar?), and some writers turned him into some kind of Future Dictator and what-not. But really, he's just a goofily-named Sub-Par Adam Strange.

-A PL 8 Ray Gun guy, Tommy isn't nearly what you'd expect of a Space Cop. Modern times would probably make him more Jedi/GL-like, with super high-tech weaponry. Here he's just some dude with a gun. The same stats would fit Rick Starr, The Space Ranger- a rip-off of an Isaac Asimov character who was later bashed on "Conan O'Brien" as a DC character that sucked, alongside Ultra the Multi-Alien.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-20-2015 at 02:21 AM.

OPA Belta

Yeah. You see Adam Strange was the brainchild of an editor named Julius Schwartz. But DC had this problem going into the mid-1960s, the character that had been their #2 hero (and #3 the Boy Sidekick) for 25 years was in danger of cancellation because under editor Jack Schiff, that flying mammal guy really kind of sucked. So DC decided that they wanted Batman to get revamped the same way some golden age (Flash, Green Latern, Hawkman) had been so that flying mammal guy could sell again - and they gave Schwartz 'Batman' and 'Detective'. But that meant Schwartz had to clear some titles from his own workload. One of the titles he gave up (and naturally it went to Jack Schiff) was 'Mystery in Space' the book that was home of Adam Strange.

And he promptly stank up Adam Strange, so it got dropped from the book, and other things, like Ultra the Multi-Alien, were tried instead.

Hmm... do you feel like the Conspiracy Theorist feat from Mecha and Manga would make sense for The Question? It's basically a poor man's version of Eidetic Memory in that it only lets you make additional Knowledge checks as long as you keep rolling high, but it's just the thing sometimes for connecting seemingly unconnected facts.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    Off topic ramblings, rants, arguments, and bad jokes are a traditional part of the Think Tank! Hell, my screen-name and sig quote originated by my wading into Baron's first edition thread to settle an argument about Cassandra Cain.
    yeah, keeping things on-topic was never MY strong suit, either. How many random-ass tangents have I gone off on in this very thread? I use it like a Blog half the time!

I upped Bronze Tiger to +16/+4 in combat. It DOES make sense that he's equal in Strength to ol' Bats, and differentiates him a bit from Richard Dragon. I'm still curious as to the Good Showings he's had SINCE beating Batman that one time- a win over Batman in like 1982 sure seems to have offered him some MAJOR credibility, despite that being so long ago.

Alas, The Question in the mainstream DCU doesn't really act as a "Conspiracy Theorist"- only his JLU self was like that. I almost re-posted by JLU build as-is for Victor Sage, but then realized that Q's negative Presence score wouldn't fit the comic book version.

Regarding having your picture taken with a celebrity (Grey Crusader made a point being astonished by this), I can see why that's a bit odd. I certainly don't do it that often (I have one with Jake Roberts, but usually just get autographs by other guys). I think it's just an excuse to meet someone you're a fan of. People probably feel like cheapskates if they just go up to TALK to the person instead of actually buying something. I kind of see it as a way of saying "thanks" to someone cool for showing up.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-16-2015 at 04:55 AM.

OPA Belta

Generally speaking, I just don't see the attraction to meeting or getting autographs from celebrities. If I consume the product they're producing, I'm already saying "thanks" and why do I want to speak with them unless I've got something in common? I've gotten plotzed with a couple semi-famous musicians, but that was due to accidentally meeting them at a bar in New Orleans. I didn't even realize I was drinking with anyone famous until a buddy of mine mentioned it.

I will speak with writers and illustrators, but that's because I have avocational common ground. I don't go out of my way to do so however. Maybe I'm just bad at being a fan...I dunno.

OPA Belta

I was likely out of line regarding my question about the value people sometimes place on celebrity photos and autographs-while I don't personally understand the value, God knows I have more than my share of quirks and interests others would find nerdy or oddball (comic books actually used to count, before they went big in pop culture). I once had a co-worker who literally had hundreds of rare to get autographs, including Prince Charles and Frank Sinatra (he literally got beaten down by Sinatra's thugs/bodyguards before he got the signature, convincing Mr. Sinatra he was was just a huge fan who meant no harm). The guy could have auctioned his collection and lived off the proceeds for the next five years. But he swore he wouldn't part with them unless he was facing total bankruptcy or needed drastically expensive surgery or something equally catastrophic.

The Question-the WHOLE appeal of the character is basically the "look"-featureless, classic fedora and trench coat in monotone, appearing in a neon-colored mist. There have been basically FIVE different versions now, if you count the JLU animated one and the recent Grant Morrison Multiversity incarnation (which replaced Objectivism as his raison d'etre with "Spectral Dynmamics"). I will go on record as agreeing with the JLU conspiracy theorist detective as the coolest.

When I got extra pages requested for the DC Adventures Universe Guide, I just HAD to do Ultra (and thanks to Jon L. for approving), because the character is SO insanely weird and Silver-Age; I basically did the modern day version, who was rendered pretty amazingly in a Batman/Superman arc, coming off as fairly powerful. I honestly shouldn't have pegged him at more than PL 9, but the official power levels are mostly inflated overall, as Jab has pointed out, so it doesn't really stand out relatively speaking.

(I also got to add Kilowog, Blackrock, Vartox, and a smattering of others, so that was sweet).

From what I've read of the background of Tommy Tomorrow, he was actually a little like a proto-Adam Strange in that originally he was more of a Space Detective and Problem Solver than a Space Cop; reprint stuff of the early Adam Strange usually had Adam out-thinking creatures he couldn't out fight.

All my best.