Page 486 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 3864364764844854864874884965365869861486 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Hehe, you'll love the red dress Mary sported for a party one time then:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/1990/RJTPpe.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img537/7882/xb0PvW.jpg
    *Brain Explodes*

That Mary.

Nice tiers, BGIII! And glad to see you checking these builds out, as the reigning Bat-Expert (I was gonna say Batspert, but that sounds dirty) around these parts- I had to use your own thread for inspiration and helpful notes while statting up my own. I actually came up with my own "Tiers" list when I was finished statting up the Bat-Family, to see if I'd got it right (thankfully it turned out pretty accurate to what I think the tiers are in the comics). I'll post it up when I'm finished with the whole crew (there's Huntress II and Batgirls I through V left). Actually, that reminds me I should probably stat up Batwoman. I mean, she didn't join the League or nothing, but she's one of the gang, sort of.

My own builds of most of these characters more or less stick to what they ended up with in terms of powers & traits. A few guys are era-specific (my eighteen Superman builds, for example), but the rest are meant to kind of fit their Post-2000, experienced selves. With a few notes here and there if things changed. The multiple Crises and Continuities makes too much accuracy impossible (never mind all the guys with "Super-Strength" being a listed power, without any hint as to the level), but I make a go for the heroes at least being relative to each other.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-23-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Heh, I think I might have made Jab even more of a Mary Marvel fan than he'd already been.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Hehe, you'll love the red dress Mary sported for a party one time then:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/1990/RJTPpe.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img537/7882/xb0PvW.jpg
    ...I gotta go lie down.

OPA Belta

If it was me...I'd add one more listing to the "Tiers of the Bat" and that's "Occasional Allies". Characters like Ragman, The Creeper and the Demon are all based in Gotham, but aren't part of the "Bat-family" of characters. They team -up with various Bat and Bat-related characters on occasion and are competent in their respective areas, but usually deal with things outside the normal Bat-sperience.

As for why the official builds are tied to that window of history, it's easy...that's what DC wanted. Unlike fan-builds, the H&V builds were official which means they had to meet the approval of DC's editorial liaison (or whatever the heck the title would be). As fans, we can build these characters however we see fit, but GR's builds had to meet the approval of DC's people.

OPA Belta

That's correct-in most cases, the Power Levels were specified for the characters, and we (the writers) were given instructions to do "modern" versions of the heroes and villains, though without getting too deep into the details of recent stories/character arcs (so the write-ups were still broad enough to let GMs and players tweak the characters to fit their particular conceptions). And there were definite "do's and don'ts"-some of the background material I invented for the Crime Syndicate members was disallowed by DC editors-for example, I wanted to give a few more biographical details for the CSA counterpart to John Stewart, and also had the idea of casting Blood Eagle (the Hawkman analogue) as a reincarnated Aztec warrior, but those both got nixed.

All my best.

MCRN Admiral

The Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

Man, it's always FREEZING COLD in all of Timm's Fan Art.

THE HUNTRESS II (Helena Bertinelli)
    Created By:
    Joey Cavalieri & Joe Staton
    First Appearance: Huntress #1 (April 1989)
    Role: Ensemble Darkhorse, Grim Urban Vigilante, Snarky Girl
    Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Birds of Prey, The Outsiders
    PL 9 (175)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 9 (+15)
    Athletics 8 (+10)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
    Deception 6 (+9)
    Expertise (Streetwise) 10 (+12)
    Expertise (Computers) 4 (+6)
    Insight 4 (+7)
    Intimidation 5 (+8)
    Investigation 6 (+9)
    Perception 6 (+9)
    Persuasion 2 (+5)
    Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)
    Stealth 6 (+12)
    Technology 2 (+4)
    Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
    Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Equipment 6, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Crossbow) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand (Ignore All Damage For 1 Round With HP Spent), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged/Cover, Close/Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 9, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
    "Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Equipment:
    "Crossbow" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
    "Big-Ass Stick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Split) (4)
    "Assorted Crimefighter Gear"- Variations on what the Bat-Family has

Offense:
    Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Stick +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
    Crossbow +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
    Initiative +10

Defenses:
    Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
    Reputation (Loose Cannon, Killer)- Helena takes issue with the "Heroes Don't Kill" mentality of most super-heroes, and has a bit of a rep because of it. Even those closest to her (like Oracle) can find her a bit troublesome.
    Relationship (Dick Grayson)- They had a passionate affair for a while.
    Relationship (Catman)- Dang, Helena gets all the sexy dudes.
    Relationship (Black Canary)- They don't always see eye-to-eye, but they are TOTES close.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 74--37 / Advantages: 47 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 18 (175)

-The new Huntress effectively replaced the old (the creators were basically given "first dibs" because they were working on Helena Wayne stuff when she was killed in the Crisis), who'd only been gone for about four years. Helena Bertinelli was a Mafia Princess (with parents so stereotypical one of them was ACTUALLY NAMED GUIDO in her debut), a modern-age Grim Vigilante who was willing to brutalize criminals, even in "Batman's City". Helena was kind of a classic Bad Girl (who was nonetheless a hero), and she was snarky enough that the fans took to her, and she's had a really long run (complete with a moderately-forgettable run on Grant Morrison's JLA, though she was sharing the book with eleven other heroes), especially when you take into account Birds of Prey, a series that was a critical darling for a really long time, and used Helena very well. She's still not Batman's Kid, but even with her slight links to the Bat-Family, she's a popular character. Part of the "She's a bitch, but she's tough as hell and can take a beating better than anybody" personality rubs fans the exact right way.

-Haha-ha, oh Huntress. You kicked ASS in JLU. She's arguably even better than Comic Book Huntress. All because of Question. She became this sarcastic little bitch who mocked everyone around her and was a total loose cannon, but she was somewhat grounded by caring for the weirdo. And they redeemed her, which Bat-books seem to have a problem doing. This Huntress was crazy, nutty and cool, and rather bad-ass, regularly kicking the crap out of a dozen mooks at a time.

-The Huntress is a highly-skilled PL 9, but quite expensive, as befits a Skillmonkey with high-level martial arts skills. She's part-Skillmonkey/part-Dexmonkey, being a super-fast, super-accurate butt-kicker who can modifty many of her caps at will, and is REALLY REALLY good with that Crossbow, having about half a dozen Advantages making it her best attack. Without it, she's a mere PL 9 melee fighter, and I wouldn't say she's equal to anyone from Dick Grayson to Matt Murdock, but she's still good enough to hold her own against Lady Shiva or Black Canary in a fist-fight for a good while.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhero View Post
    If it was me...I'd add one more listing to the "Tiers of the Bat" and that's "Occasional Allies". Characters like Ragman, The Creeper and the Demon are all based in Gotham, but aren't part of the "Bat-family" of characters. They team -up with various Bat and Bat-related characters on occasion and are competent in their respective areas, but usually deal with things outside the normal Bat-sperience.

As for why the official builds are tied to that window of history, it's easy...that's what DC wanted. Unlike fan-builds, the H&V builds were official which means they had to meet the approval of DC's editorial liaison (or whatever the heck the title would be). As fans, we can build these characters however we see fit, but GR's builds had to meet the approval of DC's people.
    Personally, I always wondered by Alan Scott wasn't more involved in Gotham adventures. He LIVES there. And yet, Commissioner Gordon would rather go with the "guy who dresses up like a bat" as his first gun against crime rather than "the guy whose entire body is essentially built from evil, malevolent space magic that he tamed through sheer willpower and is able to do anything he desires, including take apart this city brick by brick to find criminals hiding from him." In fact, I think he even threw this in Batman's face once in a JSA/Batman crossover issue, didn't he? I seem to recall him countering the "this is my city" with "I was here first."

There was absolutely no reason for him to not be more present during things like No Man's Land, the Gang War, or ANY OTHER huge Gotham event that happened pre-Nu52.

Of course, I guess it would be pretty boring if, every time a criminal blew up the walls of Arkham to set everybody free a giant green wall simply appeared with "NOPE" scribbled on it.

Hilarious, but boring.

OPA Belta

I love Helena. That is all.

MCRN Admiral

The Bat-Editors wield a mighty hammer at DC- Alan doesn't show up for the same reason that Dick nearly marrying an alien princess is rarely mentioned. They like having their own little world, and don't let anyone else's toys play.

Plus. The JSA are always off being exiled from continuity.

MCRN Admiral

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)

Also, in honor of my next build:

*sigh*... Yvonne Craig...
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-23-2015 at 07:35 PM.