Page 446 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 3463964364444454464474484564965469461446 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross)

DOCTOR MID-NITE II (Dr. Pieter Anton Cross)
    Created By:
    Matt Wagner & John K. Snyder
    First Appearance: Doctor Mid-Nite #1 (Sept. 1999)
    Role: Super-Medic, Skillmonkey
    Group Affiliations: The Justice Society of America
    PL 9 (164)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
    INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 6 (+11)
    Athletics 8 (+11)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
    Deception 3 (+6)
    Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
    Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+8)
    Insight 2 (+7)
    Investigation 3 (+8)
    Perception 7 (+12)
    Persuasion 3 (+6)
    Stealth 3 (+8)
    Technology 6 (+11)
    Treatment 12 (+18)

Advantages:
    Agile Feint, Contacts (Network of Trained Nurses), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment (Medical Gear, Visual Link to Charlie the Owl, Evasion, Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Darkness), Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improed Trip, Minion 4 (Charlie the Owl), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 1, Set-Up, Skill Mastery (Treatment), Takedown, Teamwork, Ultimate Treatment Skill

Powers:
    "Inverted Vision" Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

"Blackout Bombs" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [7]
    "Black Cloud" Concealment 2 (Vision) (Extras: Attack, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (Diminished Range -1) (11 points)

Offense:
    Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +5

Defenses:
    Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
    Disabled (Blind)- Unless his eyes are bathed in darkness, Cross cannot see- he must wear infrared glasses or use Blackout Bombs in order to see in regular light.
    Motivation (Helping People)- Dr. Cross is a compassionate, caring physician- he is obsessed with saving people, and sets up numerous free clinics to save people who cannot afford proper care. He will never knowingly take a life.
    Responsibility (Religion)- Dr. Cross is a devout Christian, often found praying for people's souls.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 16 (164)

-The third Dr. Mid-Nite debuted in a 1999 Limited Series written by the creator of Mage & Grendel, Matt Wagner- he was a Doctor delivered by, and partially-trained by, Dr. Charles McNider, the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite. In a weird bit of storytelling, he becomes the greatest doctor in the history of the universe, but is unable to save his mother's life- it turns out there WAS a drug that may have helped her out, but the company that makes it was withholding it. While investigating some new street drugs, he is drugged by an Evil Pharmaceutical Company (one of comics' first big attacks on Big Pharma- Spidey-related anti-hero Cardiac was first), and blinded the way McNider & Chapel were.

-The book was quickly glossed-over, but on the second arc of JSA, he got a big debut, helping out the heroes against Obsidian & Ian Karkull's Shadow-Energy (naturally, seeing in total darkness was a big help). Confident, capable and intelligent, he was treated like a big deal immediately, and got put into a relationship with Black Canary (who gave him BIG props in her narration- "Deep voice. Steady hands. This guy's more confident than God."). With Geoff Johns' writing, Mid-Nite gets a big push as a capable helper (his medical knowledge comes in handy), and interesting character- one of the few very religious superheroes. When Canary moves on to Ollie again, Mid-Nite gets a bromance with the intellectual atheist Mr. Terrific, and they become one of the big partnerships on the book. It's actually amusing how Mid-Nite came in handy again and again- as one of the other books featuring an actual DOCTOR on it, the JSA naturally was afflicted with numerous situations that called for his exact skills- people were frequently grievously-harmed, necessitating emergency surgery.

-Though some of the "Pieter Cross is Perfect" stuff irked me at the time- he was a bit TOO compassionate, TOO caring, for me to really take him at face value. He was a humanitarian, a vegetarian, deeply-religious, and devoted to helping the downtrodden and homeless. I think that says more about ME than HIM, though- I did that thing where you jealously-search for the DARK side to somebody. But nope- it just turns out he IS that caring. Dude didn't become a doctor just for the money...

-Dr. Mid-Nite II (I'm not calling him "III" because Chapel was "Midnight" instead of "Mid-Nite", and HYPHENS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS, DAMMIT) is a great fighter and a handy guy to have around in a scrap, but no powerhouse- he's PL 8 offensively (he's never seen fighting anyone better than a Mook)- he just specializes in weird little medical things: He's allowed Black Canary to use a Cry that puts people to sleep (by getting handsy with her, naturally), figured out the nature of constant heroes' powers (Power Girl, Kingdom Come Superman, Citizen Steel, Alan Scott), saved Jakeem Thunder from a sliced jugular, saved Alan Scott once or twice, and figured out how to take out Count Vertigo by figuring out what inner-ear disorder the villain had. He also once took out a nasty pimp by putting his fingers against the dude's blood-vessels. But really, most of the time he's good for the plan, and for when the heroes inevitably get injured- naturally, the only team with an actual surgeon on staff was the only one to frequently suffer injuries that REQUIRED such a name.

-The DCA build's a bit... weird... owing to some odd power choices. His medical gauntlets are really more Equipment than the Laser-thing they're statted up as, and I don't think he really has Infra or Ultravision, nor an Anaesthetic Spray. And being +10 to Defenses with +8 Toughness? That's as tough as SPIDER-MAN- they REALLY over-use Defensive Roll in these books. It feels like nearly every build has it pumped in to maximum ranks just to artificially make everyone fit their recommended PL.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-03-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Re: Jab's Builds!

Love Pieter, couldn't tell you why. Perhaps it was as simple as the idea of a Doctor hero that actually used their medical skills? Perhaps it's the awesome costume? Whatever the reason I always really liked him. I haven't read anything of the Nu52, so can people tell me if he survived the transition?

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by BlindPugh View Post
    Love Pieter, couldn't tell you why. Perhaps it was as simple as the idea of a Doctor hero that actually used their medical skills? Perhaps it's the awesome costume? Whatever the reason I always really liked him. I haven't read anything of the Nu52, so can people tell me if he survived the transition?
    Last time I checked in on the Nu52 (soon to be Not-so-new-49), Pieter had not appeared, which is just as well. His style of heroism doesn't jibe real well with what DC is currently selling.

I really enjoyed the one part where Roulette puts Mid-nite and Mr Terrific in electric chairs before a chess board, the two have seconds to make their moves the winner goes free and the loser gets electrocuted, plus if either of them goes over time for their moves--ie doesn't make one or takes too long-- they both get electrocuted.

the two of them use their collective IQs and literaly play a game of chess that has them dancing around each other into a draw that sets them both free.
    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

MCRN Admiral

Moon Maiden

MOON MAIDEN (Laura Klein)
    Created By:
    Dan Curtis Johnson & Dale Eaglesham
    First Appearance: JLA Giant-Size Special #3 (Oct. 2000)
    Role: Retcon Superheroine
    Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America
    PL 12 (130)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Deception 2 (+4)
    Perception 2 (+4)
    Ranged Combat (Lunar Blast) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
    Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
    "Gravity Powers"
    Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

"Lunar Madness" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Random Actions) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Progressive +2) (50) -- [53]
    AE: "Earthquake" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (48)
    AE: Move Object 10 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (30)
    AE: "Manipulate the Tides" Environment 10 (Impede Movement 2) (20)
    AE: Lunar Blast 10 (20)
    Offense:
    Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Lunar Madness -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
    Earthquake +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
    Enemy (The Centurion)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 13 (130)

-A character I've NEVER heard of, Moon Maiden is probably named after a fabled character from the Dick Tracy comic strip. See, the strip, FAMOUS in the 1940s as a gritty detective comic for kids, had fallen into the Space Age stuff by the 1960s, and so introduced a sexy alien from the Moon named "Moon Maid", who married Tracy's son and became the mother of his child (Dick's grandchild). However, people eventually got SO SICK of Moon Maid and her Moon People and the "Moon Coupe" that flew people to the Moon (never mind the Apollo 11 mission making all of this moon stuff look silly), that eventually the writer just axed the entire concept, killing off poor Moon Maid and having the entire civilization FLY AWAY, never to be mentioned again. Essentially a particularly-harsh Retcon. This was basically an unmentioned thing for YEARS (Tracy's granddaughter remained in the strip, but her hair covered the trademark "antennae" of her people), until the modern-day creative team brought the concept back, albeit with an unfortunate clone who wasn't the real deal (but thought she was). It was REALLY exciting for comic strip historians, though- the Tracy strip hasn't been relevant (or particularly good) longer than I've been alive, but it was an interesting look at history.

-ANYWAYS, Moon Maiden here was a Retcon Character introduced in a one-shot and never reappeared. She was an infant discovered on the Moon by an astronaut, who brought her back to Earth as she was supposed to be the champion of an offshoot of the Roman Empire. She gained gravity powers in adulthood, and even joined the Justice League- she became a MAJOR hero, but against an enemy The Centurion, she was erased from history. When Centurion returned, Moon Maiden followed, and her father (the only one to remember her existence) rekindled the memories of the League to her old teammate. So this is one of those classic "Hey let's include some history you NEVER KNEW EXISTED" stories, which I typically hate, as they've long since stopped being relevant, because I feel like I've read it a thousand times. They always seem to over-complicate matters, too- I'm sick of this plot thread in comics- The Sentry, The Blue Marvel, The Black Captain America, The Secondary X-Men Team, etc... it's all very irritating. It doesn't help that nobody ever used the character again, making it pointless.

-She has high-end Gravity Manipulation Powers, meaning that she can alter the tides, create Earthquakes, and more- this potentially means that her effects are GLOBAL in scale, which would make them Rank 17. She can also drive people insane.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-20-2015 at 03:32 AM.

OPA Belta

Everyone had forgotten her. So of course, you had to remind us.

MCRN Admiral

Judomaster & Tiger

JUDOMASTER I (Hadley "Rip" Jagger)
    Created By:
    Joe Gill & Frank McLaughlin
    First Appearance: Special War Series #4 (Nov. 1965)
    Role: Martial Artist Hero, Retcon WWII Hero
    Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron, The U.S. Army, L.A.W.
    PL 9 (137)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 9 (+15)
    Athletics 9 (+13)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+14)
    Deception 2 (+5)
    Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+7)
    Insight 2 (+5)
    Investigation 3 (+6)
    Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
    Agile Feint, Assessment, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move-By Action, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +10

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
    Motivation (Fighting the Nazis)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (137)

-Rip Jagger is your classic comic book story of "Mighty Whitey"- the tale of a brave, upstanding young caucasian hero who goes to a foreign land and immediately becomes better than all of the natives at whatever it is they were doing- in this case he's an American Soldier in World War II who ends up in a Pacific Island nation and learns Judo from their chief. This is in a Charlton Comics book from the '60s, making him a bit of a Retroactive Storytelling device- his teen sidekick Tiger was used as the adult trainer for the hero Nightshade in another book, set in modern times. Judomaster's book lasted only about a year, at which point Charlton went out of business and sold its stories to DC Comics.

-Post-Crisis, when Judomaster finally actually appeared, he was added to the All-Star Squadron (though never actually appeared in their stories, as their book was Pre-Crisis). He appeared in an old Who's Who I had, and his cool-looking costume made him an instant favourite of mine- since it was the only DC book I owned that was any good, I actually became QUITE familiar with many of the characters featured- Judomaster, Killer Moth and Kole were among my faves. Jagger himself rarely-appeared in comics, though Tiger turned up as a villain in the L.A.W. series that reunited old Charlton acts, and Jagger turned up in Nanda Parbat, retaining his youth there. Judomaster I was killed by Bane in The Battle of Metropolis in Infinite Crisis #7, being one of numerous disposable characters casually wiped out (in a reflection of the last issue of Crisis on Infinite Earths, which also did Spring Cleaning with unwanted characters)- his back was broken by Bane, same as Batman's once was.

-I put Judomaster at PL 8.5 mainly because I'm biased because his costume is rad and I liked him as a kid- dude jobbed to Bane in like ONE PANEL . But he IS called "Judomaster"- they wouldn't call him a MASTER of JUDO if he sucked at it, right? So he's a bit better than your usual Golden Age Non-Powered Hero, but not by a ton.

TIGER (Tanaka, aka Avatar)
    Created By:
    Joe Gill & Frank McLaughlin
    First Appearance: Judomaster #91 (Oct. 1966)
    Role: Kid Sidekick Turned Villain
    Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron, The Yakuza
    PL 7 (82)
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
    Acrobatics 8 (+13)
    Athletics 8 (+9)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
    Deception 3 (+2)
    Insight 2 (+2)
    Investigation 3 (+3)
    Perception 4 (+4)
    Sleight of Hand 2 (+5)

Advantages:
    Agile Feint, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Prone Fighting, Takedown, Set-Up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
    Unarmed +11 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
    Initiative +5

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
    Motivation (Fighting the Nazis)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (82)

-Tiger is your typical Foreigner Kid Sidekick, and is shown as an adult in Charlton books set in "modern" times. A Japanese orphan, he was trained by Rip Jagger and turned into a great fighter, but was barred from immigrating into the U.S. Bitter and resentful, Tiger started to belief that Rip was resentful of HIM for keeping Rip from returning to America, and vanished in 1953. He became Avatar, an anti-war activist who gathered an army of orphans, and drank a potion that would give him Eternal Life, but would also drive him insane. As Avatar, he defeated the Justice League, but was undone by L.A.W.- the Charlton heroes (Judomaster, Peacemaker, Blue Beetle, Nightshade, Captain Atom, The Question & Sarge Steel). He would vanish until 2008, at which point he fought the new Judomaster, Sonia Sato, while enjoying his status as the greatest Yakuza Assassin in Japan.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 03-04-2015 at 04:33 AM.

OPA Belta

Re: Judomaster & Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    -Tiger is your typical Foreigner Kid Sidekick, and is shown as an adult in Charlton books set in "modern" times. A Japanese orphan, he was trained by Rip Jagger and turned into a great fighter, but was barred from immigrating into the U.S. Bitter and resentful, Tiger started to belief that Rip was resentful of HIM for keeping Rip from returning to America, and vanished in 1953. He became Avatar, an anti-war activist who gathered an army of orphans, and drank a potion that would give him Eternal Life, but would also drive him insane. As Avatar, he defeated the Justice League, but was undone by L.A.W.- the Charlton heroes (Judomaster, Peacemaker, Blue Beetle, Nightshade, Captain Atom, The Question & Sarge Steel). He would vanish until 2008, at which point he fought the new Judomaster, Sonia Sato, while enjoying his status as the greatest Yakuza Assassin in Japan.
    So what you're saying is he's got the moves, like Jagger? He's got the moves like Jagger? He's got the moo-oo-oo-oo-ooves like Jagger?

Thank you, I'll see myself out.

MCRN Admiral

Boo, Skavenger. BOO .

---

"JSA: Savage Times" (#39-45)- written by David Goyer & Geoff Johns, art by Leonard Kirk & Patrick Gleason
    JSA line-up: Sand, Wildcat I, Sentinel, Hawkgirl, Atom-Smasher, Star-Spangled Kid II, The Flash I, Doctor Fate IV, Dr. Mid-Nite III, Mr. Terrific II, Hawkman, Jakeem Thunder (unseen in this arc), Black Adam, Power Girl, Hourman II, Captain Marvel

-First story is a one-shot featuring Power Girl dealing with some super-stalker generic bad-ass Flying Brick type named "Da Bomb". She kicks his ass after one of those epic 'everything gets wrecked' battles, and goes on a big 'girl power/If I was a man, none of my attitude would be a problem' speech to the other ladies (Hawkgirl & a cutey-pie brace-faced Stargirl under one-time artist Patrick Gleason). This story always reminds me of one of the few times I saw a girl read a comic. She wasn't a comics fan, but read the whole thing with Da Bomb in jail, talking to his psychiatrist and all that- she was genuinely curious about the story. Then she got to the first shot of Power Girl, went "Oh GOD" and dropped the book in a laughing huff. Funny stuff.

-Next one-shot sees Captain Marvel bond with Stars just a little bit, dealing with The Shadower (a Golden-Age villain who murdered the original Dr. Mid-Nite's girlfriend) and his grandson, who's holding a whole classroom of children hostage to force the current Mid-Nite to operate on the old man, with some famously difficult medical procedure. It's all from Cap's perspective, as he's impressed with Courtney's bravery, and helps talk the kid out of murdering the schoolchildren. The old Shadower dies on the operating table, but the day is saved. Yay.

-But UH-OH, the real major arc of JSA goes under way, as Black Adam sits with Atom-Smasher all menacingly, along with reintroducing two Infinity Inc members Northwind & Brainwave, rejecting these ideals. Atom-Smasher is LUDICROUSLY over-the-top as a "black hat" at first, though, saying they'll 'be rid of' Captain Marvel like they're gonna kill him or something. Weird writing there.

-Rick Tyler gets a premonition of an attack by Black Barax (who'd been foreshadowed much earlier in other stories) on TylerCo, which results in a beautiful moment, as Black Adam absolutely OWNS Captain Marvel after catching him checking out Stars. "She is a very pretty girl, Billy. But Courtney Whitmore is out of your LEAGUE, boy." then "Surely you have better things to attend to. Your FAMILY. Fawcett City. HOMEWORK." with this A-level dickish grin. Marvel responds by calling him out on being an ass, rips on him for corrupting the Wizard's power, and says he's there to keep an eye on Adam. The genuine dislike they share for each other is fantastic, and pays off when Marvel goes to ancient Egypt.

-Courtney shoots Adam a funny little look of disdain as Barax finally shows up. Just another armoured guy with high-tech everywhere, and some uber-complicated annoyance ends up with Hawkgirl & Mr. Terrific transported into the past, meeting up with Terry Sloane, the original Mr. Terrific. Given Geoff Johns' rep for the stuff, you'd be surprised to find out this is only the SECOND time I can think of where time travel's been used (I guess the Worlogog thing with Extant might count, but that was more altering the universe itself).

-The Freedom Fighters get involved in the past, showing us just how friggin' lame they really were (Red Bee? Firebrand? Doll Man?). MAN did some of these guys need to die. Turns out Barax is trying to use Human Bomb to fix his time machine to return to the future. Terry's whole SUPER-positive reaction to a black chairman always bugged me, because I have a hard time believing ALL these Golden Age heroes were super-PC types. At least Ted Grant was a little more accurate in terms of what you'd expect a real old guy to be like. I'm not asking that they all act like jerks or racists, but the well-meaning condescending racism in that one JLU episode with the old-school heroes was hilarious .

-There's some nonsense going on with Doctor Fate searching for Lyta Hall in Gemworld talking to guys, but it's all pretty uninteresting stuff, since I didn't give a crap about Fate, magic or Gemworld at all, and didn't really come into play until much later, either.

-The two Terrifics come up with a plan to make Barax run off, by promising Terry's a distant relation to the bad guy, with some story about a magic device in their trophy room that lets them see their ancestors. It's kind of cute and Golden Agey, but a pretty silly way to run off a guy who was all tough talk for a second. So Terrific & Hawkgirl go back into the time machine to find Marvel, ending up in Ancient Egypt.

-That sets off the MAIN plot of this trade finally, as Prince Khufu (remember, that's Hawkman) and his kingdom are in danger of being overrun by Vandar Adg (Vandal Savage) with his Orb of Ra, and Ahk-Ton, the Metamorph (a past Metamorpho).

-It turns into a big siege storyline, but the real interesting stuff is Marvel meeting up with Teth-Adam, finally getting to know the 'real' Black Adam. The revelation of his wife & children's murder at the hands of Ahk-Ton gives Marvel some understanding of what made Adam so dark. Calling Billy a "brother" still stings just a little bit. Hawkgirl present & past bond as well.

-Nabu comes up with one of those crazy comic-book plots, so Marvel & Adam head off to the Land of the Dead to awaken Ra to get his Orb back while the others fight a losing battle against sand-men. Adam sees the spirts of his wife & children there, and it starts getting REALLY heavy on the poor guy. A real Final Fantasy VI "Ghost Train" moment. Sniff. Calling down the thunder summons Ra (Adam being amazed at Billy's maturity and confidence despite being so young), who pretty much wipes the floor with the villains, turning Vandar into a baby that Nabu promises to teach to be a good man (Spoiler Alert: It doesn't work), and Ahk-Ton loses his powers. Teth-Adam gets all bad-ass by snapping his neck on the spot, while Marvel stands on shocked.

-Easy solution to the time-travel problem, as Nabu puts the heroes under a spell in some cavern until the JSA wakes them up thousands of years later. Billy & Adam have a heart-to-heart about their war and this past stuff, but Adam rejects any understanding- it's not about his ANGER, it's about protecting people from suffering. If it costs him his soul, so be it. Pretty much Black Adam's defining moment, right there, in terms of his point of view.

-Meanwhile, Dr. Fate fails to awaken Lyta Hall's comatose body, because it turns out it was Dawn Granger, aka DOVE, the whole time! Well boy-howdy. Turns out Hector was the son of Hawkman & Hawkgirl in one life, and the son of Extant/Hawk & Dove in this one, because a powerful wizard is born of Chaos & Order and all that jazz. God, his origin was confusing. It kind of makes sense reading it bit-by-bit (note: KIND OF), but can you imagine what the whole thing reads like all at once?

-The big ending, as it's Kobra's trial for mass-murder, and the JSA is doing security, preventing his cult from running in. First time we've seen Atom-Smasher in freaking FOREVER too, as he's avoided nearly all the fights and big events up to this point (he wasn't at the Barax fight). Meanwhile, Alex Montez has been secretly injecting Eclipso's remaining black diamonds into his own body (good thing, too, because he pretty much disappeared into nothing after taking that curator job years ago). AND then Kobra reveals his big plan, promising to have his followers blow themselves up if he's not released. The DEO of course LETS HIM GO, and he teleports away with the very followers, making everyone look like morons.

-Black Adam is PISSED, and says they should've killed him when they had the chance. And Al actually takes his side in front of everyone, shocking Power Girl all to hell (they'd been good friends on Infinity Inc). The big killing vs. no killing debate goes on, and Atom-Smasher finally takes a side- Black Adam's. He quits the JSA on the spot, and the two fly off. Stargirl's reaction is just heartbreaking, shouting after him and looking shocked when he drops the bomb, showcasing just what her feelings for him were (seemingly more big-brotherish than romantic at this point- as there were no real hints except for the 'they're married in the future' story).

-ANOTHER big bomb is dropped, as it turns out MORDRU was hiding in the Fate vestments for the past little bit, and the next arc is thus set up.

Roster Changes: Black Adam & Atom-Smasher quit, the first time someone leaving was handled with actual hate and/or disgust, rather than just a quiet writing-out.

Review: One of the first collections to be a bunch of mini-arcs rather than a giant one or two, it was still quite good. I wasn't really into the Black Barax thing AT ALL, or even really the Egyptian one (never cared for Khufu & Co, or evil Metamorphos or whatever for that matter), but it was ALL little character moments that made it good, like usual for this title. Black Adam & Captain Marvel's conversations alone are worth the price of admission, both in brotherly Egyptian form and current snide dickhead form. The big bomb of he & Al quitting at the very end, followed by Mordru making his big return were pretty bad-ass as well. Rather than the awesome action augmented by great dialogue, this one just had the dialogue, with a little bit of decent action. A step down, but still good.

Best Moment: Teth-Adam's two conversations with Captain Marvel in ancient Egypt, especially regarding Shiruta & his sons.

MCRN Admiral

Judomaster (Sonia Sato)

Because of course the Rising Sun is centred right over the boob .

JUDOMASTER III (Sonia Sato)
    Created By:
    Gail Simone & Nicola Scott
    First Appearance: Birds of Prey #100 (Jan. 2007)
    Role: Martial Artist Hero, Retcon WWII Hero
    Group Affiliations: The Birds of Prey, The Justice Society of America
    PL 9 (149)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
    FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
    Acrobatics 8 (+13)
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+14)
    Expertise (Martial Arts) 7 (+8)
    Investigation 4 (+5)
    Perception 4 (+5)
    Stealth 4 (+10)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Takedown

Powers:
    "Aversion Field" Immunity 110 (Damaging Effects, Fortitude Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Directed Attacks) [55]

Offense:
    Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +6

Defenses:
    Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
    Disabled (No Speaking English)- Sonia cannot speak English until very late in the JSA series.
    Relationship (Damage)- Sonia & Damage hooked up while he was hot and she had no English-speaking ability. This makes them look REALLY shallow, though later they stayed together once he was reverted back to being heavily-scarred.
    Enemy (Tiger)- Judomaster I's old sidekick is now a Yakuza leader, and had killed Sonia's father.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 11 (149)

-Judomaster III (the third is a forgotten guy who showed up briefly in L.A.W. as a legacy) is a very new character, with only a tangential relationship to Rip Jagger, the first (who died in Infinite Crisis #7 along with scores of other jobber characters). With hard to explain powers, and an inability to speak English (apparenly the only Japanese person in comics with this problem), she was stuck around the background of JSA books, with a storyline about her & Damage hooking up making them both look REALLY shallow (ie. pure physical stuff, since they can't TALK TO EACH OTHER, and Damage's only reason for hitting on her was because she was hot). She's primarily based off of her Kingdom Comeappearances (much like Lightning), as that series keeps getting throwbacks mentioned under Johns & Ross' writing.

-Humorously, Sonia had debuted in a Birds of Prey issue written by Gail Simone, which featured her sporting AN ACTUAL UNDERSTANDING OF ENGLISH. Also, her power came later- it was Geoff Johns that gave her the "aversion field" that rendered her UNABLE TO BE HIT BY ATTACKS. I hate that power, though- it fits on say, a VILLAIN (it's effectively cheating to be good at fighting), but for a superhero, it takes away all the hard work that is required for martial arts, and basically looks unfair. Though in a later JSA All-Stars comic she would point out that she simply REFUSES to be touched, implying it might be deliberate.

-Sonia is no powerhouse; without her powers, she's basically another pretty good martial artist out there. Her main form of defense is her Aversion Field, making it impossible to hit her, even if you're a master martial artist like Ted "Wildcat" Grant or something crazy like that. It's only Flaw is that an Area attack (Explosion, Line, Cone, etc., fairly common in my builds) can still nail her just as good, and she's reliant on her +11 Dodge Save to avoid getting killed. This essentially makes her a COMPLETELY unfair opponent against anyone with hand-to-hand capabilities, and ONLY people with explosive power can have a chance of harming her.