Page 167 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 671171571651661671681691772172676671167 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

I'm with you regarding superheroes/villains rape, Jab. If they do tell that story, it should be with a character they have no intention of using again, because realistically, his life expectancy after would be measured in weeks. One thing I liked about the book 'Empowered' when I checked it out was this notion of 'The Unwritten Rules' that supers society goes by to explain why even in a world filled with such super jerkasses, the title character that was potentially such rape bait never got so much as molested. There were just certain things you didn't do, and raping a helpless foe was one of them.

If I ever did my own setting, it'd be something largely like that. Most villains would actively avoid trying to learn a superhero's secret ID, because heroes are intensely protective of said ID and their families, and going after a hero's significant other is just asking for large amount of pain and/or a grizzly end. Likewise, rape of a hero OR villain is dealt with quickly and with extreme prejudice. You figure most villains are in the business to make money, a smaller percentage have a specific agenda, a smaller percentage still to rule the world, and a tiny percentage are basically super serial killers. The last group would always be small given the tendency of said characters to wind up dead (which is why I don't like such characters to be regulars in comics), and every other group would be composed of people that would have issues with folks who sink that low.

As for the Purple Man, I liked his portrayal in Avengers:EMH, where he was portrayed as someone who enjoyed flaunting his control over others, making him vile without the reprehensible rape stuff thrown in. To my knowledge, while he had done the stuff with Persuasion, he didn't become this serial rapist until Bendis got his hands onto him. If anything, I think the Persuasion bit was suppose to show why he didn't use his powers on women that way, rather than to be a justification for him being that way.

OPA Belta

Nice, neat in-universe explanation for why certain more depraved super-villains do not make worse use of their powers. I always liked that many of the Marvel villains had standards of sorts-Doom considered the Red Skull (and any other Nazi villain) to be absolute utter scum, as did Magneto (for obvious reasons), but even more overtly amoral types such as the Kingpin, Kraven the Hunter, and the Wingless Wizard were repulsed by the Skull (and kudos to John Byrne, for having the JOKER, of all people, turn against the Red Skull in a WW II era DC/Marvel crossover). The Sandman was a thug, but he still loved his elderly mother and even respected Spider-Man (who once allowed him to deliver a present on Christmas, even though Sandman had escaped from prison to do it); in another Christmas special, the Blob, Lorelei, and Unus helped entertain some poor kids alongside the X-men (okay, MU writers got maudlin around that time of year). The Bronze Age version of Doom would never target children or the elderly, before Mark Waid took him Beyond the Moral Event Horizon. Batroc, the Constrictor, and the Crimson Dynamo betrayed more morally bankrupt villains such as the Viper to prevent needless death and suffering.

DC was usually more black and white in terms of their depictions of heroism and villainy, though there were exceptions. There was a phase back when I was a kid when Lex Luthor was presented as more conflicted, with his obsession in destroying Superman almost depicted as a mental illness. And I remember reading a cool reprint of a Silver Age DC story, one of the "Imaginary Tales", set in a bleak "possible future" where Superman had married Lois Lane, only to see her (and others of his supporting cast) murdered by two alien super-villains; the two show up later in the story to taunt him, with one of them (a shape-shifter) first assuming Lois' voice and form to trick Kal-El into believing his wife is alive, then becoming a much older, heavier caricature of Lois Lane and then her partner-in-crime showing up with a lump of kryptonite in hand. As Superman collapses from the kryptonite radiation, the two extraterrestrial assassins gloat over all this-and then Luthor and Brainiac teleport in out of nowhere and slaughter the pair with a death ray cannon. The stunned Superman doesn't understand at first, but then Luthor and Brainiac explain they may hate Superman, but still respect him, and considered what the other pair did to be absolutely obscene-so they did what Clark couldn't do. Wishing him well for the moment, they then promise to utterly destroy him the next time they meet.

As a kid, I though that was one of the coolest scenes ever. I didn't even like Superman comics especially, and I still thought that was cool.

All my best.

OPA Belta

Aaaaannnddd....I have to take the opposite perspective. Not all, and actually not even most rapists are killed or even brutalized moreso than the average inmate in prison. Certainly child rapists are often subjected to horrific brutalization and even murdered when incarcerated, the average gangbanger who has committed rape or serial rapist is not.

I find it relatively hypocritical for comics fans who crow over "how awesome" the Joker, a brutal serial murderer is, to suddenly find rape "too disgusting". Rape should be treated like any other heinous crime in comics, including murder and torture. Giving the moral high ground to characters like Doom who "only" have committed mass murder and other atrocities is ridiculous. Rape is a horrific crime and should not be glorified in any manner, but then again, neither should serial murder (or any murder really). To make an ethical distinction between the two types of criminals is the basest hypocrisy and justifying the lack of rpe as a motivation for a super-criminal by clinging to spurious rumors of how rapists are treated in the real world is ludicrous.

Sabretooth is a spree killer. Dr. Doom is a violent dictator who sponsors acts of terrorism. Bullseye is a serial killer. Purple Man is a rapist among other things. None of them are either cool or less morally abhorrent than the others.

Here's where comics allows murderers to be admired by comicbook geeks...in comics, death is not very often permanent (for characters we care about), therefore murder can be undone. Killing is much less of a crime when people won't stay dead. Rape cannot be undone. It can't be unwritten or unwitnessed. So comic fans can convince themselves that their psychotic villains are "cool" because they don't give us creepy feelings for liking them, because those psychotic tendencies can be negated by any writer.

It's a storytelling trick. That's all.
    Last edited by Horsenhero; 09-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.

OPA Belta

Loving the DD foes, Jab. I had to cut it from my pull list but man, the first few issues of the last series were awesome. I'm hoping to add it back after the new year when my finances loosen up again, ever so slightly.

I totally agree with you about South Park. I loved it when it first started. When I showed my old roommate the Skuttlebutt episode the first time, he literally fell off the couch laughing. Seriously. Rolled off the couch, hurt his knee. It was awesome. It's come and gone in quality over the years, like The Simpsons and other long running comedies, but they can still knock off a good episode or two every now and then and the movie was great. A lot of people really think it save the Hollywood musical, and if you look at where things were before that movie and what came after, it's a debatable point.

As far as statting the South Park gang, I was planning on hitting the Coon and Friends, but that's it, for the same reasons you mentioned. But Mint Berry Crunch is way too awesome not have a build on this board!
    The Thorpacolypse
    Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
    Co-Chair of the Council of 13
    "Hate you can trust"

UN Basic Recipient

Just to chime in on potential consequences of rape by super-villains:

SPOILERS for the most recent issue of DAREDEVIL

Last week's issue of DAREDEVIL set up a plot arc where Killgrave was going around gathering up all the children he had fathered on mind-controlled women over the years and activating the abilities they had inherited from him, making them into his own little family of mind-controlling psychopaths. At the end of the issue, however, they turned on him and he ended up under the wheels of a truck. Now it's looking like DD is going to have a pre-adolescent Purple Gang to deal with instead.

Not quite the same as the heroes taking revenge, but a similar idea, i.e., transgressing in that manner will have more extreme consequences than your "normal" super-villainy.

Loving the builds, Jab!

To be fair, Jab, I don't think Zebediah really goes by "The Purple Man" as an alias cuz he wants to... It's just... well...

Look at him! He's purple! Whaddaya call that!?

MCRN Admiral

Blackheart

BLACKHEART
    Created By:
    Ann Nocenti & John Romita Jr.
    First Appearance: Daredevil #270 (Sept. 1989)
    Role: Son of The Devil
    Group Affiliations: The Hell-Lords
    PL 15 (370), PL 16 (370) Within His Dimension
    STRENGTH
    16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
    INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
    Deception 7 (+12)
    Expertise (Hells) 8 (+14)
    Expertise (Magic) 8 (+14)
    Insight 2 (+8)
    Intimidation 10 (+15)
    Perception 6 (+12)
    Persuasion 5 (+10)
    Stealth 10 (+13)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Prince of Hell), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Magic), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
    "Immortal Entity"
    Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]
    Immunity 22 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep, Heat & Flame Effects) [22]
    Immortality 2 (2 weeks) [4]
    Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
    Power-Lifting 4 (25,000 tons) [4]
    Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
    Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
    Senses 7 (Darkvision, Detect Magic- Ranged, Acute, Analytical) [7]
    "Master of Tongues" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]

"Extra Power Within His Dimension" Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (Flaws: Limited to Within Darkforce) [6]
    Note: Every power in the Magic Array is boosted this way (by 1-2 ranks).

"Variable Size"
    Features 5: Increased Mass 5 [5]
    Elongation 1 [1]

"Demonic Powers"
    "Black Stream" Damage 17 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (68) -- [78]
    • AE: "Black Blast" Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45)
      AE: "Black Energy" Blast 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Extended Range 2, Penetrating 10) (50)
      AE: Mind-Reading 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Effortless) Linked to Communication 5 (Mental) (Feats: Dimensional) (Extras: Area) (74)
      AE: Move Object 14 (Extras: Perception Range) (42)
      AE: Mind Control 13 (52)
      AE: Movement 6 (Dimensional Travel 3, Time Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack) (23)
      AE: Teleport 15 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (65)
      AE: Nullify Magical Effects 15 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (Flaws: Limited to Within His Realm) (45)
      AE: "Darkforce Tendrils" Snare 15 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (46)
      AE: "Tendril Burst" Snare 15 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range) (60)

Offense:
    Unarmed +12 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
    Black Attacks +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
    Blast +11 (+19 Ranged Damage, DC 34)
    Blast Within Hell +11 (+21 Ranged Damage, DC 37)
    Area Attacks Within Hell +16 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +16 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +13

Complications:
    Motivation (Gathering Souls & Power)- Blackheart, like Mephisto, judges success by the amount of souls he possesses- he desires the souls of sentient beings. The more virtuous and noble the being, the better.
    Enemy (Daredevil)- Blackheart's first mortal foe was The Man Without Fear, and he still tries to corrupt him, among others.
    Weakness (Purity)- Blackheart is vulnerable to souls of great power or purity, just like daddy.
    Enemy (Mephisto)- Blackheart is his Father's son- this makes him evil and prone to betrayal, and dear old pops didn't like the end results. Both are now implacable enemies.

Total: Abilities: 132 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 171 / Defenses: 16 (370)

-Blackheart is the son of Mephisto, created to be a Daredevil foe at first, though he's since shifted to become more of a "General Villain", hunting guys like Dr. Strange, Wolverine, and more. Curiously, this relative nobody was included in Marvel Super-Heroes, the Capcom fighting game, when MANY other, more popular characters were left behind (and yet he STILL wasn't the most obscure character there- Shuma-Gorath was by a LONG shot)- maybe the programmers just thought he looked cool? He's got a creepy, evocative image, that's for certain. But still, this guy tends to just be forgotten 90% of the time- comic writers discussing Hell-Lords tend to default to Mephisto (including undoing his death by Blackheart's hands, since naturally it turns out the kid is a traitor and schemer like his dad).

-Blackheart is really just Mephisto Lite in pretty much every single category, though his existence as a Darkforce Being makes him a Snare Guy in addition to the regular set of magical powers he has- I basically used Gazman's own build to figure out what PL to make Blackheart, as he's a bit iffy if you just read his bios- at one point he apparently has enough power to Telepathically tear a planet apart- at another point, he jobs to Wolverine, Ghost Rider & The Punisher, and many heroes just run right into hell to beat him up. So I got nothin'- he's more powerful in his home dimension, like many Elder Gods, Demons & stuff, but not quite to Cosmic Level.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by JetstreamGW View Post
    To be fair, Jab, I don't think Zebediah really goes by "The Purple Man" as an alias cuz he wants to... It's just... well...

Look at him! He's purple! Whaddaya call that!?
    I cannot recall ever seeing him refer to himself by that name; with a surname like Killgrave you don't really need an alias.

Blackheart was just impossible for me to take seriously in the 90's, since I kept confusing his name for Darkheart the villain of Care Bears: The Movie.
    Last edited by Batgirl III; 09-23-2014 at 11:55 PM.

MCRN Admiral

I've heard of quite a few stories about people who commit crimes against women PERIOD being treated poorly in jail- not just the rapists. See the prior examples I gave in Killgrave's build for that. Edmonton might be different from other places, and the "climate" of certain jails might be different, though. Alberta as a whole has mostly white guys and natives in prisons, while out East in Ontario there are prisons pretty much run by black gangs (there are only like FIVE BLACK GUYS in Edmonton Remand). It could be different elsewhere, I suppose.

But I agree that comparisons of Murder (vs) Rape can be a bit... odd, in viewing the latter as worse, considering the finality of murder. But that IS part of human nature- Death is a HUGE part of comics & sci-fi, but people get noticeably uncomfortable when rape shows up. But that's just how people ARE, and I would imagine that superheroes would act much the same way- "Oh look, it's another murder-spree killer. Let's go get him!" versus "He raped someone! Let's gather an army of superhumans and beat the living piss out of everyone he's ever met!"
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 09-24-2014 at 03:05 AM.

MCRN Admiral

The Trump

THE TRUMP (Carlton Sanders)
    Created By:
    Steven Grant & Geof Isherwood
    First Appearance: Daredevil #203 (Feb. 1984)
    Role: Forgotten Villain
    Group Affiliations: None
    PL 7 (84)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 7
    INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Deception 5 (+8)
    Expertise (Magician) 5 (+8)
    Expertise (Criminal) 1 (+4)
    Expertise (Animal Handling) 2 (+5)
    Perception 2 (+3)
    Sleight of Hand 2 (+9)
    Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
    Daze (Deception), Equipment 2 (Magician's Gear- Handcuffs, Garrote, Razor Blades), Fascinate (Deception)

Powers:
    "Magic Tricks" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
    "Taser Stun-Tip" Affliction 6 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 2) (8) -- (9 points)
    • AE: "Pellet Cane" Blast 3 (6)

Offense:
    Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Taser Tip +7 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
    Pellet Cane +7 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +2

Defenses:
    Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
    Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 9 (84)

-The Trump is a one-shot Daredevil foe who never appeared again in Matt's book- instead, Mark Gruenwald (who else?) used him in two different Captain America issues. He attempted to rob a Magic Show attended by Cap & Diamondback on their first date, but was confounded by Black Mamba's mental illusions (they'd apparently dated in the past- Mamba was unimpressed). Later, he was seen temporarily at an A.I.M. Weapons Expo, but didn't get up to much. His entire schtick is that he's a professional criminal and magician, using illusions and parlor trick to allow him to steal.