Page 1433 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 43393313331383142314311432143314341435144314831533 ... LastLast
Results 14,321 to 14,330 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Axel

AXEL- Guy Trapped Between Two Giant Wheels
    Role: Odd Vehicle
    Driver: Axel, a man trapped in a machine by his own father, whom he seeks to confront.

Baseline Stats: Large Size, Strength 3, Defense 10, Toughness 10 (15)
    Movement: Speed 5 (60 mph) (5)
    Features: Oil Slicks, Tire Spikes (2)

Weapons:
    "Homing Missile" Blast 7 (Feats: Accurate, Homing 2, Ricochet 2) (19) -- (26)
    • AE: "Special- Supernova Shockwave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Requires Rare Power-Ups) (10)
    • AE: "Machine Gun" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
    • AE: "Fire Missile" Blast 8 (Feats: Accurate) (17)
    • AE: "Power Missile" Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Require Rare Power-Ups) (16)
    • AE: "Drop Mines" Damage 9 (Feats: Triggered- Driving Over) (10)
    • AE: "Rear Flame" Damage 7 (Feats: Indirect- From Behind) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (15)
    • AE: "Freeze Missiles" Snare 7 (Flaws: Require Rare Power-Ups) (14)

Total Cost: Stats: 15 / Movement: 5 / Features: 2 / Weapons: 26 (50 Equipment Points)

-Axel is the most ridiculous character of Twisted Metal 2, but maybe the most distinctive. He's a bald black guy whose arms have been permanently trapped between two giant wheels by someone (who turns out ot be his own father)! This leaves him one of the few guys worse off than Barrage of the Dark Riders, or Razor-Fist. Not only that, but his very presence kind of renders the proportions of the game all wonky- see, the game features a lot of pedestrians you can indiscriminantly kill, right? But they're all depicted at a certain height, much smaller than that of the vehicles. And so Axel, who is a NORMAL HUMAN BEING, looks bizarre when standing next to one of these pedestrians as he's clearly two or three times taller than they are, as his character needs to be highly-visible on-screen!

MCRN Admiral

Re: Jab's Builds!

CRIMSON FURY- 1993 Lamborghini Diablo
    Role: Superfast Secret Agent
    Driver: Agent Stone, a James Bond-like character hired by an underground freedom organization, who wants to find an object that can liberate the world.

Baseline Stats: Large Size, Strength 5, Defense 14, Toughness 6 (17)
    Movement: Speed 7 (250 mph) (7)

Weapons:
    • AE: "Special- Laser" Blast 8 (Flaws: Requires Rare Power-Ups) (8)
    • AE: "Power Missile" Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Require Rare Power-Ups) (16)
    • AE: "Rear Flame" Damage 7 (Feats: Indirect- From Behind) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (15)

Total Cost: Stats: 17 / Movement: 7 / Features: 2 / Weapons: 26 (51 Equipment Points)

-Shows up in the first game, then some later ones. Crimson Fury specializes in super-fast driving and ultra-sharp turns, but sacrifices a lot of durability and a good weapon (his Laser is notably worse than the Missiles).

DARKSIDE- Mack Titan
    Role: The Devil, Powerhouse
    Driver: Mr. Ash, who just may be the devil. Apparently Calypso stole HIS power, in order to save his own life. And now Ash wants it back.

Baseline Stats: Huge Size, Strength 12, Defense 6, Toughness 14 (21)

Weapons:
    • AE: "Special- Death Blast" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Requires Rare Power-Ups) (6)

Total Cost: Stats: 21 / Movement: 5 / Features: 2 / Weapons: 26 (54 Equipment Points)

-I actually don't remember much of this guy, as he wasn't in the second game. He WAS my favorite in the first one, however- I always prefered the gigantic, Overcompensator-style vehicles. His Special was the worst, but his Toughness was insane.

MCRN Admiral

Sweet Tooth

SWEET TOOTH- Chevrolet Step Van Ice Cream Truck
    Role: Iconic Character, Evil Clown
    Driver: Needles Kane, an insane murderer who killed his entire family several years ago.

Baseline Stats: Huge Size, Strength 9, Defense 6, Toughness 14 (18)

Weapons:
    "Napalm Cones" Blast 14 (Feats: Accurate, Homing, Ricochet) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Rare Power-Ups) (23) -- (30)
    • AE: "Homing Missile" Blast 7 (Feats: Accurate, Homing 2, Ricochet 2) (19)

Total Cost: Stats: 18 / Movement: 5 / Features: 2 / Weapons: 30 (55 Equipment Points)

-Sweet Tooth is easily, EASILY, the most iconic character of Twisted Metal, appearing on frequent covers thanks to his distinctive appearance- an ice cream truck with an Evil Clown's Head as the revolving topper. He's also the only one to appear in every game with the same driver (the other ones swap out riders, but leave the cool ride). That said, his Mini-Boss Status (sort of; he's a random non-selectable competitor) in Twisted Metal 2 made me despise the guy- his evil laugh is "The Most Annoying Sound"- an endless cacaphony of low-pitched laughter because it goes off every single time he fires his weapon: a tracking, homing missile. Not only is the sound annoying, but the weapon is the game's most-lethal weapon, meaning that it also KILLS YOU with great frequency. In short, you learn very very quickly to hate Sweet Tooth in these games, unless you yourself can play him.

-Interstingly enough, the "Clown Head" atop his vehicle (really Needles Kane's own face) is actually a 2-D sprite, much like the weaopn pick-ups and other things in this game. In order to save memory, the thing just looks straight at whomever is looking at him.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by MissRo View Post
    Wow. XD That looks amazing. Kinda reminds me of Parappa.

Jab, in terms of a 'Dinosaur-themed Platformer', have you ever seen Dinosaurs For Hire for the genesis?
    Yup, that's on my list. A friend of mine recommended it.

MCRN Admiral

Hm, so the Bond conversation dominated the thread for a couple of days, but I was curious if anyone here remembered the Night Trap controversy, and just how huge it was? I definitely recall the "Murder Simulation" accusations (basically what my mom said about it).

What was everyone's take on the Next Generation era? I switched allegiance from Nintendo to the Godless Sony Corporation, and so did millions of others, but what about you guys?

Protomolecule Host

Re: Sam & Max

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

SAM & MAX- FREELANCE POLICE:

-The video games, a PC set of Adventure Games, were highly-popular, and helped make the genre a big one. Unfortunately, the genre has declined badly over the years, ending up with the end of LucasArts (who was the main company behind it). In fact, LucasArts cancelling a sequel to Sam & Max in 2004 is considered one of the most prominent death-knells for the genre.
    It's probably also the series that helped Telltale games become one of the current best adventure game producers and established the episodic game structure

Hm, so the Bond conversation dominated the thread for a couple of days, but I was curious if anyone here remembered the Night Trap controversy, and just how huge it was? I definitely recall the "Murder Simulation" accusations (basically what my mom said about it).

What was everyone's take on the Next Generation era? I switched allegiance from Nintendo to the Godless Sony Corporation, and so did millions of others, but what about you guys?
    I remember Night Trap, because my brother owned it and I was forbidden to play it under any circumstances by the parentals. Which, of course, meant I had to play it. It was... awful, lol. Just boring. I saw zero of the big deal. A total waste of the effort I had to put into getting a chance to play it. Hell, there was worse stuff in the Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch game my brother had (which I still tease him about to this day). We had both the N64 and the ps1. I played a lot more N64 at the time, but that was before I got into RPGs. Perfect Dark man. So much Perfect Dark.
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

I was curious if anyone here remembered the Night Trap controversy, and just how huge it was? I definitely recall the "Murder Simulation" accusations (basically what my mom said about it).
    Never heard of it. I don't think it generated the same amount of buzz here in Brasil. (I was about 8 when it came out, though, so maybe I just missed the controversy).

I was never really a "fanboy" of any particular system or company. During the whole Sega X Nintendo warfare, I had a NES, then a SNES and a Megadrive (Genesis), plus eventually an adapter that allowed Master System games to be played in the Megadrive.

Then I jumped on the Playstation bandwagon and continued with the PS2, plus I had an okay PC for gaming. However, I also made a friend who was something of a videogame collector, which gave me the chance to play a lot other systems - Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, Neo Geo...I have been quite damn spoiled as a gamer in life ^_^

That said, when the PS3 came out in Brazil, it was ridiculously expensive for my family's financial situation at the time, and that is when I preferred to upgrade my PC instead. My father eventually bought a PS3 for himself (though I think the PS4 was out or almost out by then). I never played on it. These days pretty much all my videogaming is on PC...though I have a friend with PS4 and another with an XBOX ONE, so it is not like I'll completely miss some exclusive either ^_^

------------------------------------------------
    As just a random anecdote, due to the various gaming systems that friend of mine had, we assembled a non-functional monstrosity we called the Megazord: a Megadrive with the sideways Sega CD and a 32X on top, a Sonic&Knuckles cartridge on the 32X, the Master System adapter on top of Sonic&Knuckles (that game had a cartridge slot of on top so you could combine it with other sonic games, specially Sonic 3), and any Master System game on top. I think there was a gun pereipheral in there as well. Completely pointless, but I loved how absurd the thing looked XD
    Last edited by danelsan; 09-10-2016 at 03:15 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Arkanoid has lots of different nifty powerups that you can do with the balls. But yep, would be a lot like statting out Pong.

Alpha Centauri- *peers* my copy of GURPS Alpha Centauri would tend to disagree. Some of the leaders are extremely expensive by that system
    Ugh- GURPS. The only memory I have of that is my roommate at the time (who had a huge problem with over-spending) buying about twelve books of it for hundreds of dollars, despite already being deeply in debt. So "GURPS" became a running gag among the rest of us, as to my friend's inability to budget his money appropriately. And despite his protestations, I know goddamn well he never finished all of them .

What I did read kinda bored me- especially the Star Trek one, which didn't seem to go in-depth into ANYTHING, and didn't detail characters.

I missed the bit on Wikipedia detailing Alpha Centauri's characters- that kind of thing is part of why I'd rather stat up games I'm familiar with at least on SOME level (I haven't played Dynamite Headdy, but I at least know what it IS). Research has to be done with enough speed that I can stat up more than one thing in a day, and things can get glossed over quickly (another good example is Legacy of Kain, where I actually had to figure out what the GENRE was, and which character you played). And really, "Political Faction Leaders" is not something that'd be interesting to stat at least I'm terms of differentiating characters- some are more Police State, some are Science-Obsessed and some are super-religious, but it mostly comes down to Smart, Charismatic Deceiver.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 09-10-2016 at 07:01 AM.

I know of it as a cultural artifact. But, really it all blurs together with the overarching pearl clutching that seemed so prevalent at the time: video games, role-playing games, and electric guitars were all supposed to turn me into a drooling satanist or something.