Page 1375 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 37587512751325136513731374137513761377138514251475 ... LastLast
Results 13,741 to 13,750 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

Re: Jab's Builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl III View Post
    I really want to see a Balrog (M. Bison) versus Mike Tyson play test... Maybe I should dust off my old Muhammad Ali build.
    Y'know, from what I've seen of how well he fought... I kinda think the unreal over-the-top video game character of Balrog would actually outright lose to Muhammad Ali.
    Formerly Narsil.

OPA Belta

Last night I had a dream, When I got to the Arcade,
    I had one hell of an all nighter.
    I had to beat Terryís behind first,
    For claiming to be King of Fighters.
    For this fight, Iíve wrestled with Hagar,
    Iíve tustled with Link.
    I done handcuffed Pac-Man,
    And put Breakout in jail.
    You know Iím bad.
    I have murdered Alucard,
    Iíve injured a 1-Up, and hospitalized a Star Man.
    Iím so bad, I make Red Potions sick.
    Iím so fast, man,
    I can race Ecco the Dolphin and don't get wet.
    When Lil Mac meets me,
    Heíll pay his debt.
    I can stomp like Mario and float like Kirby.
    Wait till you see Muhammad Ali.
    Last edited by Batgirl III; 08-05-2016 at 01:30 AM.

OPA Belta

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    It's EXTREMELY unlikely that I will ever see the the movie version of Suicide Squad.
    Rotten Tomatoes tends to reward polarization. I'm seeing a lot of amateur reviewers saying "It's not perfect, but it's pretty good/not bad. The Rotten Tomatoes score is undeserved." Most of them specifically say it's better than X-Men: Apocalypse.

MCRN Admiral

Hah, I was even adding up all the Punch-Out guys with the other Boxers I've built, imagining what a tournament would look like. I had Balrog going up against his wannabe Michael Max in the first round, but he & Tyson weren't far from each other, because of COURSE that match has to happen.

MCRN Admiral

Little Mac

LITTLE MAC
    Role:
    The Hero, Shrimpy Fighter
    Hails From: The Bronx, New York, U.S.A.
    Record: 0-0 (0 KOs)
    PL 9 (79)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Athletics 5 (+7)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 7 (+15)
    Insight 2 (+5)
    Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative

Powers:
    "Power Punches" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Initiative +9

Defenses:
    Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
    Motivation (Winning)- Little Mac has a strong desire to become the Champion.
    Reputation (Small Size)- Mac is well under six feet (in some games, he's under FIVE feet), and is thus often unable to intimidate anyone, or be taken seriously.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 14 (79)

-Little Mac is the character you play during all of the Punch Out! games- a quick fighter with sharp jabs, he is nonetheless overpowered by almost every single one of his competitors. 90% of the time, all you can do is weak jab flurries to knock your adversaries' health down by mere ticks- one single punch from any of them can drop a huge chunk of your health bar away. Mac is a CLASSIC underdog- a tiny shrimp of a boy sent against an army of terrifying giants- even Glass Joe looks to be twice his overall size!

-Little Mac has a pretty small arsenal to choose from- one button controls his right hand; the other controls the left. Pushing "Up" at the same time makes a face jab- doing otherwise hits the body. Dodging from side-to-side is the arrow buttons, and you can also block punches. For the most part, great players always do combinations of face punches whenever they get an opening- as Mac has to tick off small bits of damage at a time, it's necessary to hit combos like that. Getting a special punch here or there (often a specific type of shot when the enemy is doing one particular thing) will earn Mac a "Star", which he can then use for a HAYMAKER, which will do extra damage. This is almost exactly like how Hero Points work- in effect, the GM is giving Mac's player an HP for one specific shot in any given fight.

-Little Mac is accurate, but on the low end of damage compared to the other fighters, most of whom do at LEAST +4 Damage unarmed. And by God, he doesn't spend a whole lot of points.

OPA Belta

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that I will ever see the the movie version of Suicide Squad.
    In many ways, even though they don't do reviews themselves, Rotten Tomatoes has killed quite a few films with the aggregate score.

Can you imagine what the original Star Wars aggregate score would've looked like? I was there when the first reviews came out. Critics hated it. Sure, now that it's made a bazillion dollars as a franchise and movie fans bucked the critics all the way, it's considered a classic and every critic who was doing reviews back then changed their tune and discovered they actually liked it...but I was there. I remember.

If your instinct says "don't see it", then skip it, but if your instinct is to see it...then do so, regardless of what the critics (especially all the YouTube monkeys) say.

Me? I'll probably see it.

MCRN Admiral

I wrote this elsewhere in response to some of the criticism of the movie (and accusations of anti-DC bias by the critics), but it's relevant to what Horsenhero (so you ARE still here!) said, so I'll put it here:

It's funny that for YEARS all I heard was the refrain "I don't care what the critics think". Every person seemed to say that like it was a badge of honor (even me). Now all of a sudden we have a site that adds up all the statements of critics, and now everyone's reversed course and now it's "THE CRITICS' WORDS ARE GOD!!" and people use RT ratings to "assess" how good movies are. Critics are human, and prone to the same stupid stuff humans are- random hate-ons for things, a willingness to dogpile on something that's perceived as garbage, etc. How many movies have we seen since get vindicated by re-views after critics disliked it the first time?

I think the critics are more likely to savage DC movies- every once in a while, something comes along to annoy them, or get their skewers ready. Any time a movie has "re-shoots" publicly added in (The Long Ranger, Suicide Squad), critics assume the movie is shite and get ready (to be fair, that is NEVER a good sign- it's a red flag that says "we made a bad product, and now we're trying to salvage it"). With DC, it's the painfully-obvious, desperate, child-like attempts at "Me-Tooing" the Marvel franchise. They want it SO BAD that it's delightful to kick them while they're down and lower the boom with bad reviews. The fact that Green Lantern started the "All Non-Batman DC Movies Suck" thing didn't help- Man of Steel was pretty poor, and then BvS came out... I get the sense that the critics are fatigued by DC's level of crap. If they hit it out of the park as often as Marvel did, the critics wouldn't be so hostile.

HOWEVER, this isn't only something for DC. Fox's Marvel movies are taking the same shellacking at times. And let's not pretend that critics are forgiving of a bad Disney-Marvel film.

But acting like the RT score is this major thing is stupid- The Fast & The Furious and Transformers, anybody? Those do amazingly well regardless of RT scores. If critical reviews mattered, then the Oscars would go to the most popular movies- instead, we have the opposite, to the point where it actually became a major concern that NO successful, popular movies were being nominated for Best Picture- the fear was that Movie Critics and the Academy were now brutally out of touch with what anyone else liked.

---

So basically, I agree to an extent. Even that critics have been proven wrong and "out of touch" in the past. Hell, I think the Oscars are a joke. I'm really just not seeing Suicide Squad because DC has now made more than ONE horrible movie in recent years, and most people I know online are saying this one is garbage too (though a couple are nicer), and it had a weak trailer. DC has now grabbed onto a reputation of failure, and it's making them desperate with their movies. And their whole Anti-Marvel doctrine is making them come off as Sega in the Video Game Wars (Nolan's Bat-Films were their Genesis; Batman vs. Superman is their 32X)

I just posted the image because I found it funny. Especially once I read that a bunch of DC fanboys had gathered a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes (which doesn't MAKE the reviews- it just adds them up!).

It's like Ghostbusters- all the criticism and whining that defined the mere ANNOUNCEMENT of that movie didn't make me want to avoid it- once I'd heard that Kristin Wiig & Melissa McCarthy were on board, I was willing to dismiss the "Gimmicky" nature of an All-Girl Ghostbusters, because I know those two are usually on-point. Then I saw the trailer. Since that was COMPLETE garbage (right down to including a black character saying all of the Stereotypically Black Things like it was a '90s movie), I decided not to see it. The fact that the director and others tried to accuse all the negativity of being Anti-Woman or Anti-Feminist in order to have an automatic "excuse" if it didn't do well (and to re-frame the narrative that all of the bashing was merely anti-lady trolling and YOU SHOULD TOTALLY SEE THIS IF YOU ARE A FEMINIST- they were a little bit right to a degree, but it was a clever, calculated move nonetheless), the fact that the fact that I would bet MONEY many critics were nicer to it than they should have been because they were worried about public backlash... all of that didn't make me want to see it less. That horrible, HORRIBLE trailer is what did it. And in the end, the movie got a merely "okay" overall score (70%) and probably didn't make its money back at the theaters, so everyone can go back into their caves and hide their spears about Ghostbusters-bashing .
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-05-2016 at 02:07 PM.

MCRN Admiral

Kid Quick

KID QUICK
    Role:
    Secondary Wuss
    Hails From: Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
    Record: Unknown
    PL 5 (40)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+6)
    Intimidation 4 (+4)

Advantages:
    Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack

Powers:
    "Punch Flurries" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 2) (Flaws: Distracting) [1]

Offense:
    Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
    Motivation (Winning)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 3 (40)

-Kid Quick is the "Von Kaiser" of the Arcade Game- a ridiculously-generic black guy with his eyes pointing in different directions, and no special techniques. He has a few "tells" and predictable strategies that allow you to beat him- always trade off your punches. Despite that, he's quite quick (duh) and can still give Little Mac problems.

MCRN Admiral

Pizza Pasta

PIZZA PASTA
    Role:
    Energy-Vampire, Ethnic Stereotype
    Hails From: Napoli, Italy
    Record: ??
    PL 7 (69)
    STRENGTH
    3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
    FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+7)
    Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+11)
    Insight 2 (+4)
    Intimidation 4 (+6)

Advantages:
    Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
    "Health Drain" Weaken Toughness 5 (Inaccurate -1) [4]

Offense:
    Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
    Health Drain +9 (+5 Weaken, DC 15)
    Initiative +8

Defenses:
    Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
    Motivation (Winning)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 5 (69)

-Pizza Pasta only appears in the first Arcade Game. The fight starts out a bit easy, but then he gets a bit tougher. The nastiest trick he has is that he will grab you, and then DRAIN YOUR ENERGY. The only boxer with this technique, it makes him dangerous. For stats, I essentially made him Piston Honda with a Weaken effect (not Grab-Based, as the rules for that are pretty much a bag of crap if you're the same general strength-level as your opponent).

OPA Belta

The fact that Green Lantern started the "All Non-Batman DC Movies Suck" thing didn't help
    Why did Green Lantern start the "All Non-Batman DC Movies Suck" thing? It didn't suck. It wasn't a 4-star film or anything, but it wasn't bad.