Page 1324 of 1544 FirstFirst ... 32482412241274131413221323132413251326133413741424 ... LastLast
Results 13,231 to 13,240 of 15435

Thread: Jab's Builds!

MCRN Admiral

Betty Cooper

This is absolutely, without a doubt, the iconic Betty Cooper Image.

BETTY COOPER
    Created By:
    Vic Bloom & Bob Montana
    Role: The Girly Girl, The Tomboy, Unlucky In Love, The Nice Girl
    First Appearance: Pep Comics #22 (Dec. 1941)
    Group Affiliations: The Archies, Riverdale High
    PL 4 (78), PL 5 (78) Defenses
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
    FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+7)
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Deception 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
    Expertise (Feminine Activities) 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Masculine Activities) 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Animal Handling) 2 (+5)
    Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+4)
    Expertise (Tambourine or Guitar) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Singing) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Teen Reporter) 3 (+5)
    Expertise (Retail Bitch) 2 (+4)
    Insight 4 (+5)
    Perception 2 (+3)
    Persuasion 5 (+8, +10 Attractive)
    Vehicles 4 (+5)

Advantages:
    Attractive, Benefit (+2 to Situations Involving Her Archiekins), Daze (Persuasion), Favored Enemy (Brunettes), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Set-Up, Teamwork

Offense:
    Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +3

Defenses:
    Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
    Obsession (Archie Andrews)- Betty's love for Archie is so all-encompassing that it borders on stalking. Her parents are concerned, and her friends don't get it.
    Relationship (Veronica Lodge)- Betty's best friend is also her greatest romantic rival. As Archie generally prefers Veronica's company, Betty finds herself at odds. She also finds Ronnie's materialism and selfishness tiresome, but values her friendship too much to do anything about it.
    Relationship (Family)- Betty is extremely-close and loyal to her parents, and never argues & rebels against them the way the others do with thier folks. Her worst arguments are generally over her obsessiveness with Archie.
    Relationship (Cheryl Blossom)- Betty & Cheryl actually started hanging out once upon a time (Betty felt bad over a prank the others played on Cheryl), and enjoyed each other's company, despite Cheryl's obnoxious personality.
    Relationship (Jughead Jones)- Jughead is one of Betty's dearest friends, and they're among the only ones in the group who usually get along. Jughead admires Betty's finer qualities, while Betty finds Jughead's nature quirky rather than annoying. Still, he could stand to be a little LESS omnipresent whenever she's baking.
    ---
    Reputation (One Of The Guys)- Occasionally, Betty chafes under the role of "tomboy". When she tried out for the BOYS Baseball team, she faced a lot of criticism from both sexes, and sometimes dislikes being treated as a rough & tumble member of the gang, compared to the more ideally-feminine Veronica. On many occasions, Betty can be seen deliberately trying to suck worse at sports so as to not "show up" Archie, or to beg for his "help" in improving her abilities.
    Responsibility (Riverdale High)
    Relationship (Adam)- When she was annoyed with Archie, Betty actually grew close to a new guy named Adam, who was the most bland character ever created. Eventually she decided to date both boys.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (78)

BETTY AT THE BEGINNING:
    -Betty Cooper is pretty much the idealized example of the "Nice Girl" in fiction these days- when people discuss Love Triangles, there's usually the meaner, less-sympathetic "Veronica", and the more good-natured "Betty". Granted, that's not how she STARTED OUT, but that's certainly what she's been since at least the 1960s. Betty debuted in the very first Archie story, and was the new girl in town, being a bit stand-offish with this snot-nosed redhead trying to impress her. Naturally, Archie screws up and makes an enemy of Betty's prominent dad... but soon things shifted entirely. Pretty quickly, Archie set its course on a Love Triangle- Betty worshipped Archie, who chased Veronica, who was somewhat indifferent and aloof to the whole thing, but generally liked to lead Archie around.

-A big gag early on was just HOW obsessed and conniving Betty was- she was CONSTANTLY out to hamper Veronica any chance she got, and was frequently driven to violent rages by Archie's lack of care towards her. If Archie said something insensitive (which was, well, constantly), Betty would BELT him- a frequent gag saw a dazed Archie lying on the floor. This Betty was impulsive, dangerous, obsessive and very feminine- like Ronnie, she was always seen in dresses, and had very long blonde hair. Essentially, her character was unlucky in love.

-Sometime around the 1950s & '60s, Betty shifted in personality, as writers made her more and more sympathetic. With "Women's Lib" becoming a big thing, Betty became more of a "positive" character, demanding equal rights and privileges, and in the process actually became more of a TOMBOY. Of course, she still wore dresses occasionally, and DEFINITELY loved the "girly" things like pink, diaries and all that junk, but generally speaking, Betty was rough & tumble, could fix cars and win at sports as well as any boy, and was more often than not seen in slacks, jeans or shorts. Her long hair soon shifted to a messy, unfussy ponytail, as if you get it out of the way of her activities- a quick "code" for "this is a tomboy". But of course, Betty didn't GIVE UP the feminine things- the aforementioned diary was one thing, but she ALSO became a Domestic Goddess all the same. Betty was now the official "cook" of the gang, making picnic baskets and baking meals that Archie (and, naturally, Jughead) couldn't resist.

-Betty also became much, MUCH nicer. To the point where she was basically an angelic archetype. And she OWNED that role, too- when the Will You Marry Me? Potential Future story came about and Veronica was seen as the girl Archie was asking, news reports were going "Poor Betty!" And in an era of comics when Bad Girls and Nasty Chicks were the norm, Betty was head and shoulders above the lot as the nicest character around. Her violent tendencies were reduced a bit (though both girls were known to clock Archie on occasion), and her crush on Archie became more precocious and silly rather than dangerously-weird. Betty was essentially "The Perfect Girl"- tough AND feminine, and not diminished by either aspect (her room is a cacaphony of pink hues, yet real-life female skateboarders are affectionately referred to as "Betties"- though I've heard a few origins of the term, I'd be willing to bet that's one). As Jughead put it in one story (when he was, naturally, badgering Archie of his mistreatment of Ms. Cooper), "Mothers DREAM about their sons dating girls like Betty!"

-Betty often runs the risk of becoming a bit bland by being so kind- this is often given as the reason why "Nice Guy" heroes find trouble in the media (comics, but also movies- which favor Bad Boys and Rebels). However, Archie Comics kind of averts this by making her just one of the group, so that her kindness is in contrast to the selfishness of Reggie & Veronica, the slovenly nature of Jughead, and Archie's thoughtlessness. So you can get a lot of stories out of Betty running some charity for orphans, helping the homeless, befriending an outcasted student, or seeing a good side in a "negative" character. The point is, THERE IS POTENTIAL THERE- not every character has to be a vicious jerk.

-That said... Betty is GREAT fun when she gets jealous. That dark side is still there, and her love of Archie is her Kryptonite- this turns her into a manipulative, violent psychopath on occasion (in MANY issues, she decides to "Girl It Up" and flirt, with disastrous results to the male psyches of Riverdale; in others, she breaks stuff).

BETTY and SHIPPING:
    -Betty also has phenomenal relationships with the rest of the cast. Her love of Archie is obviously a driving force. She & Veronica have a weird friendship, as they hang around with each other constantly... but fight tooth and nail over the same boy (Mark Waid found this so unrealistic that he took it away in his Archie run). Betty is seen by most (including Ronnie's father) of reigning in Veronica's worst impulses. Betty is a great "centre" character to the groups of girls- Veronica makes less sense hanging out with, say, Ethel, Midge or Nancy. Betty gives them a reason to hang out. And of COURSE there are her friendships with Reggie and Jughead... EASILY the two biggest "Ships" of the Archie fandom.

-Generally speaking, you see Betty paired off with Reggie by younger girls (who are way into the "Bad Boy" thing, and idealize Reggie as the deep-down nice-guy they think he is, and sometimes becomes in certain comics- in Life With Archie's future storyline, they're paired off), and her paired off with Jughead by older fans- their relationship is TRULY unique in the books. Generally, Jughead is the biggest woman-hater around, finding women repulsive and evil. But BETTY, he likes. Betty, he likes so much, that he frequently SINGS HER PRAISES to his buddy Archie. On occasion, the Archie writers even play with the idea of something going on between the two of them- Jughead admits that Betty is the perfect woman ("If I ever WILLINGLY kiss a girl... it'll be you!"). There's one where Jughead is called in as a "ringer" to replace a sick Archie on a date... and Betty finds herself having a GOOD TIME with him, as Jug is pretty fun at the amusement park. And naturally, Jughead's misogynistic nature is an ideal thing to play with- the ONE GIRL he likes strokes people's inner FanFic Writer.

BETTY'S STATS:
    -Betty stats out to be one of the best teens in Riverdale- exceptional at studies, athletics and interpersonal skills. Betty is the most likeable person in town, and is well-thought-of by everyone from the faculty to Reggie to Veronica's own father, who frequently beseeches his daughter to learn a few things from her more noble friend. In a few strips, Betty is STRONGER than Archie, too- I've read one where they can't pull off a Surfing Doubles Contest... until SHE starts lifting HIM.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-26-2017 at 04:02 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Other Betties

BETTY'S FAMILY (Hal, Alice, Polly & Chic):
    -Betty's family unit was typically made up of her simple, Housewife-y mom and her busy, middle-class father, who generally disapproved of his girl's obsession with the lazy, clumsy, caddish Archie Andrews. Mrs. Cooper, at least, saw the good side of Archie and was generally there to settle her husband down. Hal Cooper used to be a REALLY loud blowhard over Archie, but settled down a lot as Betty became more tomboy-like- the two could often be seen working on cars together. Later on, Betty's mother Alice (yes, her name is really ALICE COOPER- isn't that awesome?) became one of the few mothers in the gang to be seen working a lot, giving us a lot of "Working Mom" stories (in one, Alice grew upset that she'd turned her daughter into a "Latchkey Kid").

-In Little Archie, Betty was given a PAIR OF SIBLINGS, which was a pretty odd retcon for what was already fifteen-ish years of continuity. I would imagine older sister Polly was there to add a bit of beauty & hawtness to a book about young children (probably why Little Archie's mom was MILF City at the same point), as she was a teen in these stories. Older brother Chic (taking his name from Archie's original nickname) was there to drive the gang around, or engage in physical activities like brawling with a bad guy. However, I can honestly say I can't recall seeing either of them appear in Little Archie books (of which I have only a few, to be fair). In any case, they weren't major characters. Bob Bolling, who wrote those stories, ended up introducing them in the MAIN continuity, making Betty the only major character in the cast who had ACTUAL SIBLINGS until the 1990s... which is weird, when you think about it. I know very few Only Children, and Archie has almost nothing BUT.

-In the non-Little books, Polly is shown as a world-travelling, successful reporter living in San Francisco, while Chic is actually a SECRET AGENT for the U.S. government, and often arrives to family reunions in disguise. Both are much older than Betty, and so rarely appear, though some of the last years of the Betty title saw Polly move back home to Riverdale... having a lot of pretty bland adventures. Generally, she was just there as a sounding-board for Betty, when Veronica couldn't be (as the issues tend to be ABOUT Veronica).

BOOKS FEATURING BETTY:
    -Betty & Veronica had a whole lot of books to themselves, generally as a duo- Digests AND regular comics. However, 1965 saw the debut of Betty and Me (the "Me" was usually Archie- I always took the "Me" to be the audience), which lasted almost thirty years (and 200 issues)- it was here where Betty kind of shifted into the character she became for realz. 1986 saw Betty's Diary, a neat, somewhat sweet look at life through Betty's eyes, as she tried to make sense of her day. Some of these stories were actually rather bittersweet or just plain SAD, as she gave her own POV over being dumped in favor of Veronica. Her solo book got relaunched in 1992, lasting another twenty years.

Other Eras:
    1940s: Betty drops almost all of her Skills & Advantages- here, she is a hard-luck loser with only a handful of domestic skills, and more of a schemer than persuader. Betty in the old stories is so nutty that one featured her repeatedly trying to MURDER Archie after he broke her heart one too many times- the final panel ended with a BOOMERANG headed towards Archie in a hospital bed. She's honestly a bit of a DOPE in these, too- fitting a "Dumb Blonde" archetype as well.
    1950s & '60s: Betty became more and more standardized with time, eventually forming a friendly duo with Veronica. By the end of the '60s, she was a fully-realized Women's Libber, sporting a ponytail and some sporty interests.
    1970s-Modern Age: Betty's kind-heartedness went to an extreme, to the point where she's an archetypical "Nice Girl". Sometimes this can go TOO far, but it's a nice contrast to the rest of the gang. Betty is thoughtful, mindful and careful in this era, and her love for Archie is more of a quirk than an obsession.
    Little Archie: Some of the sweetest Little Archie stories feature Little Betty trying SO desperately to get Little Archie to pay attention to her- the one I referred to before features him walking her home, and cruelly taking the messiest, dirtiest, most-dangerous way possible (ruining her nicest dress), ending with Archie being impressed by her bravery (and... giving him a lock of her hair. Is this a thing that people actually do? In any case, Betty's three toys that narrate the thing with bookend scenes were impressed by the sight of a happy Betty slumping over in bed, with a lock of hair and a ruined dress).

Other Continuities:
    Archie 3000: Basically Betty with a wilder ponytail.
    The New Archies: Betty is giving a much longer ponytail, and loses the make-up, looking much more like a tomboy. The pink overalls help.
    Archie 1: Betty appears here, generally in her more clueless state.
    Archie's R/C Racers: Betty's on Archie's team.
    Archie the Barbarian: Betty & Veronica appear as Serving Wenches more likely to snipe at Archie than compete over him. In fact, they're generally a Greek Chorus that comments on everything.

Life With Archie (2010s): In one continuity, Betty marries Archie, and the two move to New York to pursue careers in business. Both fail, and end up moving back to Riverdale, where Betty becomes the new Vice Principal... and neglects her marriage AND her job all at once, trying to do too much. Mr. Weatherbee ends up having to set her straight, before she ruins everything. In the other continuity, Betty is forced to watch Archie marry VERONICA, in a frankly HORRIFYINGLY sad tale, especially as the writers piled failures on her. Her life was essentially a wreck until she finally hooks up with a more-mature Reggie. Their relationship becomes tested when he starts a Reality Show featuring her cooking business and his own auto body shop, and they're made to "fight" on-camera in ways that legitimately anger her.

Memorable Betty Stories:
    * In an amazing one, Betty & Archie get his jalopy stuck in a pond, and have to head to the local motel, where they plan on spending the night. They let this slip to the parents in the WORST WAY POSSIBLE, and Mr. Cooper arrives demanding that "if you're going to take my daughter to a motel room, you should see fit to marry her!" Further double-entendres only make things worse (especially since Betty comes out just wearing a towel, thanks to her clothes being soaked in the pond).
    * In one fantastic 1940s Sunday Comic strip, Arch cruelly responds to Betty asking for a date with "GO JUMP IN A LAKE!" Later, Archie actually watches Betty ACTUALLY DO THIS (she saw some of his clothes on a log, and thought he was drowning), and immediately begs her to go out with him. It ends with her sweetly leaning into his shoulder, looking up with innocent eyes, and going "and if you don't take me to the church social... I'll POISON myself!"
    * Betty decides to be a "Bad Girl" and live life the way she wants to- so she decks herself out in dark stockings and a leather skirt, puts the moves on Dilton as a test (who basically cracks into a million pieces at the hawtness), and then forces Reggie to take her to a vicious fraternity party. There, Reggie is nearly beaten up, and Betty finally realizes the error of her ways and takes him home.
    * A FANTASTIC one for Betty/Reggie Shippers- the two get frustrated over constantly being left aside by Archie & Veronica, and after Reg saves Betty's life and she rewards him with a knitted sweater, they begin to slowly date. They grow closer and closer, enjoying each other's company... and finally lean in for that kiss. And then use the names of the people they REALLY love. Both crack up and howl with laughter, admitting that was silly, and go back to their respective crushes once more.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-14-2016 at 12:22 AM.

OPA Belta

Re: Jab's Builds!

Man, this takes me back. Growing up in the 70's, I loved the Archies. I played "Sugar, Sugar" over and over on the old record player.

And I was always a Betty guy, which was out of character for me since I generally went with the "bad" girl. All those saps that say Mary Ann over Ginger are crazy. But geez, you're right, the fanservice. Thinking back, I can't believe I got to read those without any beef from the parents. But that's kind of the way things go in our country. Tons of girls in bikinis, go ahead, 70's kids, knock yourselves out. A vampire on the cover? You monsters, think of the children!!!!
    The Thorpacolypse
    Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
    Co-Chair of the Council of 13
    "Hate you can trust"

note regarding Chuck and Nancy, both of them were on team reggie in R/C Racers, on the grounds of "somebody has to try and keep reggie's cheating to a minimum."

MCRN Admiral

Wheels

WHEELS COOPER
    Created By:
    Vic Bloom & Bob Montana
    Role: The Driver
    Group Affiliations: The Explorers of the Unknown
    PL 7 (101)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
    FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+9)
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Insight 4 (+7)
    Perception 5 (+8)
    Vehicles 10 (+15)

Advantages:
    Attractive, Benefit (+2 to Situations Involving Her Archiekins), Daze (Persuasion), Equipment 2 (Motorcycle), Favored Enemy (Brunettes), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Vehicles

Offense:
    Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Initiative +5

Defenses:
    Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
    Responsibility (The Explorers of the Unknown)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (101)

-"Wheels" Cooper was the Explorers' driver & pilot- a high-flying motorcyle stuntwoman of sorts.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-26-2017 at 04:03 AM.

OPA Belta

I think that the fact that the default art style for Archie Comics is so cartoony the blatant fan service doesn't feel as titulating as more "realistic" style pinup art.

In junior high a good friend of mine had a mother who was one of those ultra-prudish Born Agian Christian sorts. She was a big Archie fan and didn't object to his reading comics (he had a giant Spider-Man collection), but she freaked out when a copy of the Marvel Swimsuit Special got added to his monthly pull list "by accident."

Betty and Veronica in bikinis? Fine.
    Rogue and Black Widow in the same? Hell and damnation.

What can ya do?

MCRN Admiral

Superteen

SUPERTEEN (Betty Cooper)
    Created By:
    Vic Bloom & Bob Montana
    Role: The Girly Girl, The Tomboy, Unlucky In Love, The Nice Girl
    Group Affiliations: The Archies, Riverdale High
    PL 10 (133)
    STRENGTH
    2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3/4
    FIGHTING 4/9 DEXTERITY 1
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
    Acrobatics 4 (+7)
    Athletics 6 (+8)
    Expertise (Feminine Activities) 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Masculine Activities) 5 (+7)
    Expertise (Animal Handling) 2 (+5)
    Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+4)
    Expertise (Tambourine or Guitar) 4 (+6)
    Expertise (Teen Reporter) 3 (+5)
    Expertise (Retail Bitch) 2 (+4)
    Insight 4 (+5)
    Perception 2 (+3)
    Vehicles 4 (+5)

Advantages:
    Attractive, Benefit (+2 to Situations Involving Her Archiekins), Daze (Persuasion), Favored Enemy (Brunettes), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
    "Superteen Boosts"
    Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
    Enhanced Stamina 6 [12]
    Protection 2 [2]
    Enhanced Agility 1 [2]
    Enhanced Fighting 5 [10]
    Enhanced Dodge +5 [5]
    Enhanced Advantages 2: Fast Grab, Interpose [2]
    Enhanced Skills 8: Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 8 (+9) [4]

"Jet-Boosters" (Flaws: Removable) [10]
    Flight 6 (120 mph) (12 points)

Offense:
    Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
    Superteen +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
    Initiative +4

Defenses:
    Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+11 Superteen), Fortitude +4 (+10 Superteen), Will +6

Complications:
    Enemy (Evilheart)
    Secret (Identity)- Even Betty is unaware that she is Superteen... until she next needs the powers, at which point she will suddenly remember again. At adventure's end, her mind always "clouds" over.
    ---
    Obsession (Archie Andrews)- Betty's love for Archie is so all-encompassing that it borders on stalking. Her parents are concerned, and her friends don't get it.
    Relationship (Veronica Lodge)- Betty's best friend is also her greatest romantic rival. As Archie generally prefers Veronica's company, Betty finds herself at odds. She also finds Ronnie's materialism and selfishness tiresome, but values her friendship too much to do anything about it.
    Relationship (Family)- Betty is extremely-close and loyal to her parents, and never argues & rebels against them the way the others do with thier folks. Her worst arguments are generally over her obsessiveness with Archie.
    Relationship (Cheryl Blossom)- Betty & Cheryl actually started hanging out once upon a time (Betty felt bad over a prank the others played on Cheryl), and enjoyed each other's company, despite Cheryl's obnoxious personality.
    Relationship (Jughead Jones)- Jughead is one of Betty's dearest friends, and they're among the only ones in the group who usually get along. Jughead admires Betty's finer qualities, while Betty finds Jughead's nature quirky rather than annoying. Still, he could stand to be a little LESS omnipresent whenever she's baking.
    ---
    Reputation (One Of The Guys)- Occasionally, Betty chafes under the role of "tomboy". When she tried out for the BOYS Baseball team, she faced a lot of criticism from both sexes, and sometimes dislikes being treated as a rough & tumble member of the gang, compared to the more ideally-feminine Veronica. On many occasions, Betty can be seen deliberately trying to suck worse at sports so as to not "show up" Archie, or to beg for his "help" in improving her abilities.
    Responsibility (Riverdale High)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 6 (133)

-Betty as "Superteen" is pretty much just like Pureheart.

MCRN Admiral

Frankie & Maria

FRANKIE VALDEZ
    Created By:
    Unknown
    Role: Lesser Reggie
    First Appearance: Archie Comics #265 (Sept. 1977)
    Group Affiliations: Riverdale High
    PL 1 (12)
    STRENGTH
    1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
    Deception 2 (+3)
    Expertise (Guitar) 5 (+5)
    Expertise (Dancing) 4 (+5)
    Perception 1 (+1)

Advantages:
    None

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
    Initiative +0

Defenses:
    Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Complications:
    Relationship (Maria Rodriguez)
    Reputation (Hot-Blooded Show-Off)

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (12)

-Frankie came in alongside Maria as the "Latin couple" of Riverdale high, back when Latinos were basically just seen as white people with a bit of an accent, much unlike today (though in actuality, "Latino" isn't so much a race as a cultural group, as their genetic make-up could have just about ANYTHING in it, given the interracial mixing of any place below Texas). Archie made an attempt at "Another Chuck & Nancy" with this rather combative couple, but it never really took- Frankie's personality was way much like a slightly nicer but weirder Reggie, and he never got a concrete motivation going. It was generally accepted that Frankie was kind of self-promoting and slick in a Reggie-ish way, and he was WAY more hot-blooded (flying into a frenzy when Maria wore a skimpy bikini to the beach- he tried to wrap her up with a blanket). In another, he was the Director of the school play, and refused to allow his girlfriend to audition, feeling he'd be accused of favoritism. And so Maria had to wear a disguise, give a horrible performance as an over-actor... then unveil herself (gaining lipstick and curves in the process in an "artistic cheat")- Frankie finally rolls his eyes and caves that she's a good actress after all.

-He & Maria were basically ignored after a point, only showing up in Digests for years, until a couple later storylines re-introduced them both as having moved back to Riverdale (yeah, at the same time- clumsy storytelling). They're still pretty much nobodies. There was a possibility of a Love Triangle between the two and Brigitte (a friend of Betty & Veronica's, known for being a good singer... and being Riverdale's only overweight teenager).

-The "Latino Friend" role was also once taken up by a guy named Carlos, who showed up with Archie & Chuck in a bizarre story that saw them help a lady get her car door open... only to realize they'd helped a man's ex-wife STEAL the car! And after a scheme to clear their names, they caught the lady red-handed trying to get the car repainted in an illegal shop... at which point the exes met up again and fell back in love out of pity for the other's predicament. The boys basically just shrugged and moved on ("instead of three criminals, we're more like three CUPIDS!").

-Frankie is basically a slightly-better Bystander with some skills.

MARIA RODRIGUEZ
    Created By:
    Unknown
    Role: Token Latina
    First Appearance: Archie Comics #265 (Sept. 1977)
    Group Affiliations: Riverdale High
    PL 1 (19), PL 2 (19) Defenses
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 1 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
    Deception 1 (+3, +5 Attractive)
    Expertise (Acting) 4 (+6)
    Perception 1 (+1)

Advantages:
    Attractive

Offense:
    Unarmed +1 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
    Relationship (Frankie Valdez)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (19)

-Maria was occasionally the more interesting of the duo, but had less character flaws. Most of the stories I read about her involved her reactions to Frankie's antics, like the time he wouldn't let her try out for the play he was directing. Another odd one was one of those "fighting Central High" bizarre stories where she was an aide to Betty & Veronica as they saved Archie and got some secret football plays back from the goonish Central City guys (what WAS it with that rivalry?). Maria's personality tended to shift a bunch as writers bounced around different ideas- she was very cute & innocent at first, with her hair up, and quite naiive. Other times, she was a feisty, fiery Latina archetype. She suffered the same fate as Frankie eventually, and vanished.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-26-2017 at 04:03 AM.

MCRN Admiral

Katy Keene

KATY KEENE
    Created By:
    Bill Woggon
    Role: Model Queen
    First Appearance: Wilbur Comics #5 (Summer 1945)
    Group Affiliations: None
    PL 1 (35), PL 3 (35) Defenses
    STRENGTH
    0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
    FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
    INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
    Athletics 4 (+4)
    Expertise (Model) 8 (+12, +14 Attractive)
    Expertise (Acting) 4 (+8)
    Insight 2 (+5)
    Perception 1 (+4)
    Persuasion 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)

Advantages:
    Attractive, Ultimate Modeling Skill

Offense:
    Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
    Initiative +1

Defenses:
    Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
    Relationship (Sis)- Katy's sister Melissa often gets into trouble.
    Relationship (K.O. Kelly & Randy Van Ronson)- Katy has numerous male love interests, but was often forced to choose between the muscular boxer and the wealthy blond.
    Rivalry (Gloria Grandbilt)- Gloria is envious of Katy's successes, and wants them for herself.
    Relationship (Lucki Lorelei)- Lucki is Katy's supersticious best friend.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (35)

-Among the weirder side-stories in Archie Comics is the saga of Katy Keene. She was introduced in 1945 as a standard-issue "Model" character (ie. Fantasty For Little Girls), and became a pretty big success. Her book was notable for allowing fans to write in their own ideas for dresses and outfits and such, and soon all of the Archie books followed suit (even LITTLE ARCHIE). She received her own title four years after her debut, and it ran for 12 years. However, she flamed out in the 1960s, and didn't appear for twenty years afterwards- Archie having moved on entirely to Teen Books by that point.

-Katy received a new lease on life thanks to a peculiar "Katy Keene Fan Club", run by a guy named Craig Leavitt, who was like SUPER-obsessed with the character (a grown man interested in a fashion-obsessed line designed for little girls? WHAT A WEIRDO!). He created a Katy Keen Fan Magazine, which ran for eighteen issues (dying in 1983). They held "Katy-Cons", even! Archie finally bowed to fan pressure and brought Katy back in a revival... but it never really went anywhere. All I recall as a young fan was the occasional "Hey everyone! Katy Keene still exists" ad, and a lot of work that only seemed to bring up how big the character ONCE was, not how big she IS. Honestly, she's all but vanished from history, save for the occasional reprint in Archie Digests these days.

-Having read a bunch of the stories... they ain't great. The art style is bizarre to the point of going into the Uncanny Valley- it averts the Archie House Style completely, giving us ultra-tall Model-Figure physiques with bobble-heads and giant eyes that are basically made of eyelashes. And the plots are pretty generic- Katy goes somewhere, gets into some hijinks (usually because of her sister, who was a child in the original stories, but became a teenager in the '80s), the end. She's the ultimate in blandness as a character- a smiling, happy person with no personality flaws.

-Katy is a smart, charismatic, level-headed individual with great success in acting and modeling. Not much to her, but it's a good example of how pricey even a Bystander-level person can be if they're good enough at their job.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 07-26-2017 at 04:04 AM.

OPA Belta

Yeah, it frequently blows the minds of younger folks, but in 1940 when Cuban Desi Arnaz married the Lucille Ball that they were not considered a mixed race marriage... But a generation earlier when Ball's own parents married –one from an old Franco-American Protestant family and one from a more recently arrive Irish Catholic family– they would have been treated as such!

I've actually had people scream in my face (literally, in the real world, not just keyboard cowboys on the Internet) when they objected to my calling Hispanics part of the European cultural heritage. I pointed out that the Iberian peninsula, where Spain and Portugal are and from whence Hispanic culture derives, was known for millennia by its Latin name Hispania. But, no, apparently I'm not allowed to say that in my opinion Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra is one of the greatest writers of the European cultural canon. Because it's "cultural appropriation" for me to say that... Oh, and apparently the Spanish-born, Spanish-citizenship having, living-in-Barcelona Antonio Banderas isn't a European either.

The same screaming idiot also got really, really, really put out a few weeks later when I named Charlize Theron as one of the most famous African celebrities (this was just after she'd won an Oscar).

Yeah, my time spent in women's studies courses* at university was basically four years of me trolling the rest of the room...

* I "double minored" in political science and women's studies, since with my plan to major in history and minor in poli sci it worked out that I only needed something like three or so other classes to do so due to the overlap in requirements between the three departments. I'm a gamer, dammit, so of course I min/max'd my degree.